Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter System Shock 1 Remake by Nightdive Studios

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock

https://systemshock.com

https://af.gog.com/game/system_shock?as=1649904300

http://www.fastcompany.com/3053050/...s-bringing-old-video-games-back-from-the-dead

Still, Night Dive’s business is starting to change. With most of its current catalog, Night Dive merely licenses the rights for a rerelease, and splits the sales revenue with the rights holder. Night Dive is becoming more interested in acquiring rights in their entirety, as this gives the company much more flexibility.

One example: Night Dive is developing a full remake of the original System Shock, going well beyond the basic rerelease that launched a couple months ago. Night Dive has acquired the full rights to the franchise, and Kick says he’s been working with Robert Waters, the game's original concept artist, to reimagine his designs from the early 1990s.

"Seeing the difference between his artistic abilities back then compared to now, and his ablity to reinterpret those ideas, it's just been really exciting for us," Kick says.

Part of the plan for this remake also includes a console version, which would be a first for Night Dive. Kuperman believes much of the company's future growth will come from creating console adaptations for more PC games, along with some ports for mobile devices.

We may even see a System Shock 3 someday, though Night Dive would need a larger publisher to take on the task. Kuperman says the company is "having some conversations" on this front. "To really do another game in that series is going to take resources and time and commitment that we don't have, and it's really not our core business," Kuperman says. (Until now, 2K Games’ Bioshock series has stood in as a spiritual successor.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Robert Waters is also on the Underworld Ascendant team: https://underworldascendant.com/the-game/team.php

Which makes me think, why even bother, just license it to OtherSide as their next game.

This is something I thought of when I first heard that Night Dive had secured the rights, but for this to even be a viable course of action, several ducks needs to be lined up for the most epic shot ever: Underworld: Ascendant needs not to suck, Otherside Entertainment needs to survive to make another title and both Teri and Eric Brosius need to be brought in.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Part of the plan for this remake also includes a console version, which would be a first for Night Dive. Kuperman believes much of the company's future growth will come from creating console adaptations for more PC games, along with some ports for mobile devices.

No.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Oh, right. We've already seen re-imagined designs by Waters in the Polygon feature. Wonder if these were the part of the Night Dive's plan.

drone.0.jpg

cyborg.0.jpg

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
If ANY publisher is involved with System Shock 3, it will be complete fucking shit (dumbed down, cash grab for just the name). Calling it now .

I would love to be proved wrong though... :M

pippin

Wasn't Dead Space supposed to be System Shock 3 or the person who told me that was high?
At least EA had the rights for SS2 for a while.
I don't know how well SS1's controls could perform in a console, without butchering the game into some sort of twin stick shooter. Devs, on the other hand, are capable of going above and beyond when it comes to port shit into mobile... they even made a mobile port of Bioshock, ffs. My friend has a Vita and was completely butthurt when the Vita port was canceled in favor of mobile.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yes, the project that soon would be called Dead Space was originally starting out as a System Shock 3 game, but EA could not secure the rights and then made the Dead Space game instead.

Archibald

Arcane
Yeah, considering how sequels turned out (not like first Dead Space was very good either, but at least it had some charm) we would have likely had bigger butthurt about it than about Bethesda raping Fallout franchise.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Why people decide to remake a good game is beyond me• • • r they are basically begging to be called for what they are ! the inferior version.

Instead, they should remake bad or flawed games that had a good premise but failed in execution .

tormund

Arcane
At least they are spending they money on creating something, even if that something is a remake of older game, instead of just continuing to hunt down old IPs like license parasites they are. And I think after seeing how they are going to handle this remake, we will be able to judge if there is any hope of new System Shock game being any good.

Last edited:

Gentle Player

Arcane
With SSP and now the enhanced GoG version, SS1 is almost perfect as is apart from annoying Cyberspace. If this remake is to be designed with consoles in mind from the onset then I can't see it not being dumbed down. Crouching, lying prone, leaning left and right - that's already 4 separate hotkeys needed, then they need keys for the various Hardware Implants. There are only so many buttons on a controller... Not to mention how awkward it will be dicking around in the Inventory menu with an analogue stick.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
I want to believe... but I just can't. SS1 was a product of its time, technology and business environment as much as the team's creativity. To recreate that without breaking it seems to be an impossible task, and that's with everyone's best intentions. I would much rather see an Underworld Ascension-style spiritual sequel, which is allowed to be its own thing.

Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth

The fact they got Eric Brosius involved makes me more excited about this than anything else. That dude's sound work is one of the main contributing factors to the brilliance of the Thief series and Shock 2 (and to a lesser extent Swat 4). Hopefully, they'll also get Greg LoPiccolo.

pippin

That is actually fucking cool. If they actually got Terri Brosious back, then at least I'm willing to tolerate the butchering of the controls.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom