Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

System Shock 2 Mod Guide

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
voodoo47 Now I got another question. I'm playing SS2 with a selection of mods, and I frequently get CTDs that I can't recover from, forcing me to reboot the computer. The game stops, a window appears in the background and I can move the mouse over it, but I can't click anything to close it or somesuch.

I'm not sure what's causing this as it seems to happen at any point while I'm playing, and the last time it happened I was loading a level.

I've found a CRASH.DMP file in the SS2 folder that should tell me something about what's going on, but I can't make heads or tails of it.

Any suggestions?

voodoo47

Learned
drop the files over at systemshock.org helpdesk, we'll see (include shock2.log and ss2bmm.log as well).

and if you mean the Ramsey Center, then yeah, that is on the earth map.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Again, thanks for the reply but I did manage to complete the game (with a healthy dose of Save Early, Save Often) and uninstalled and forgot about the whole thing.

I also tried out SecMod, which screwed up my earlier saves anyway.

(If I were to guess, my problem was sound-related due to a new audio card being installed. All my crashes took place while I was researching an item in SS2.)

Good to have an answer for others, though.

voodoo47

Learned
yeah, saves are not compatible between vanilla and gamesys mods (Secmod, SCP etc).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=9111

System Shock 2 Community Patch (SCP) — Beta 3

"Please Oh Please Let This Be The Last Beta" Release

jZsp34Y.jpg

About
SCP is an unofficial patch for System Shock 2 that delivers an authentic and highly polished gameplay experience, hopefully approximating the form SS2 would have taken if Irrational had had a few more months to work on it before release. It is not a total conversion, a source port, a reimagining, or a remake. It is not SS2 for experts, nor is it SS2 for newbies. It’s just SS2, but better.

SCP requires System Shock 2 patched to version 2.44 or higher (SS2Tool) and you need to start a new game.

Please use this thread for bug reports.

SHTUP-ND is highly recommended for use with SCP. The newest beta isn't quite ready yet, but you can grab the current version from the SCP beta 2 thread.

Download Here (please try these links first):
SCP_beta3_readme.pdf
SCP_beta3.7z

voodoo47

Learned
as someone who can trigger the endgame script at pretty much any moment and technically complete the game in 3 seconds (the "any" rule M1 likes to throw around so much), I find these glitch runs extremely unimpressive.

voodoo47

Learned
so yeah, here we are again;
Is there no escape from this madhouse? Since the latest version of NewDark added native support for the Squirrel scripting language, we’ve been going a little crazy with it. Another major-ish gameplay enhancement this time. The Spatially Aware OS upgrade now displays the position of all enemies on the automap, in addition to filling in the automap. Filling in the automap was always pretty much useless even to first-time players, so maybe now people might be tempted to pick it. We’ve also tweaked the level lighting parameters to reduce the somewhat washed-out look of SCP’s maps compared to the originals. Getting a 24-bit lighting engine to match the look of the old 16-bit lighting engine is an ongoing challenge.
and other things.

and a milestone reached - with the wormheart implant and wormskin armor finally fixed, from this moment on, SS2 has no more outright bugs as far as I'm aware (so if it still were ADaoB, it would be just AD now). I mean sure, we can tweak stuff 'till kingdom come, but broken things that simply don't work are now all gone.

voodoo47

Learned
NewDark 2.48 is out, SS2tool is up to date, GOG/steam builds are up to date (beta branch).

Semiurge

Cipher
voodoo47 Now I got another question. I'm playing SS2 with a selection of mods, and I frequently get CTDs that I can't recover from, forcing me to reboot the computer. The game stops, a window appears in the background and I can move the mouse over it, but I can't click anything to close it or somesuch.

I'm not sure what's causing this as it seems to happen at any point while I'm playing, and the last time it happened I was loading a level.

I've found a CRASH.DMP file in the SS2 folder that should tell me something about what's going on, but I can't make heads or tails of it.

Any suggestions?

I have a suspicion that many of these freezes that you can't recover from are due to how Windows handles the desktop and fullscreen apps. Sometimes even Ctrl-Alt-Del won't allow you to terminate the unresponsive process no matter how you try, and I doubt it's because of the process.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I have a suspicion that many of these freezes that you can't recover from are due to how Windows handles the desktop and fullscreen apps. Sometimes even Ctrl-Alt-Del won't allow you to terminate the unresponsive process no matter how you try, and I doubt it's because of the process.

That's nice and all, but this was five years ago.

Semiurge

Cipher

That's nice and all, but this was five years ago.

The matter is still very relevant, as I recently discovered with Witcher 3 when it froze during a loading screen (exiting to main menu).

voodoo47

Learned
so yeah, SCP beta5, because it technically still was dec31st somewhere, probably. definitely no extra easter eggs.

why five? because it took just as many years to finally get it out.

Last edited:

voodoo47

Learned
yes, as mentioned in the post right above yours?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom