Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware System Shock 3 by OtherSide Entertainment - taken over by Tencent!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

They edited out the part him talking about System Shock 3 :x

edit: Also Otherside Austin is two person team now.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I wonder why warren spector's epic mickey games flopped so much design wise. Never played the game, but i read main critics of it is the mechanics and frustrating design

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It is a game where you play Mickey Mouse and paint things.
If the very thought is not off-putting for anyone except the youngest, then I don't know what is.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I wonder why warren spector's epic mickey games flopped so much design wise. Never played the game, but i read main critics of it is the mechanics and frustrating design
IIRC, it had to do with Disney and design constraints put on the dev team during production. Apparently the original was supposed to be some kind of post-apocalyptic themed game.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
I actually would like SS3 to have more RPG elements, more story telling, maybe even real NPCs and (side)quests. Some middle ground between SS2 and Deus Ex 1.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I actually would like SS3 to have more RPG elements, more story telling, maybe even real NPCs and (side)quests. Some middle ground between SS2 and Deus Ex 1.
All of what you said except for the NPCs. I still feel System Shock works best as a game where you are totally isolated and cut off from anyone else. That feeling of utter solitude, knowing the sounds you hear down the corridor isn't going to be something nice.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
All of what you said except for the NPCs. I still feel System Shock works best as a game where you are totally isolated and cut off from anyone else. That feeling of utter solitude, knowing the sounds you hear down the corridor isn't going to be something nice.
Maybe the first game, but the second took place during the crisis ... at least, there were a couple of survivors still running around concurrent to your adventure. It gets annoying after a while to see "a survivor! but he's getting torn to pieces by monsters on the other side of this convenient bulletproof glass so I can watch the cutscene but not do anything". I'd hate to see "proper" NPCs that infodump and have long dialogues, but having a guy join and interact with you briefly only to be shot to pieces minutes later could be pretty cool. Just have something like that on the same side of the glass for once, you know?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Interestingly all three System Shock(-like) games currently in development seems to have (or considering) some form of NPC interactions.

System Shock 3: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/266210/The_Comeback_Why_Warren_Spector_is_making_games_again.php

The biggest one, for me, is more robust characters and character AI. We've gotten very good at combat AI, we've made great strides there, but I don't think we've done much in the world of non-combat AI and interacting with people -- human or otherwise. We haven't done a lot with conversation, and establishing emotional relationships with characters in games. So I'd very much like to play with that.

Prey:

- There are other peoples on the station. Many choices around them, like help them or not, and consequences.

Ken Levine's new game:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I watched an hour of last week's 3-hour System Shock LP stream, Spector and Neurath said some relevant things:

- In SS1, they wanted to make SHODAN a real gameplay AI that really watching what player is doing and reacting. Spector said maybe it's possible in 'some games' in the future.

- Spector said how the lack of decent conversation system led to the idea that everybody else in the station was killed. For SS3, Spector's team is finding a way that true to the System Shock universe yet everybody isn't dead.

- They don't want resort to the trick that illusion of another survivors like SS2.

- And they're still want to find a decent conversation system.

- Spector loves the original SS1 soundtracks. The elevator music is coming back at SS3.

- Cyberspace in SS3? When Stephen Kick asked Spector how they'll approach cyberspace in SS3 (as Kick's remake team also have to revamp cyberspace), Spector didn't answer and half-jokingly said "do not steal my thunder!"

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looks like it is in good hands, but i wonder if SS can work by dialogue and interacting with characters. I have never played ss1, but in ss2 the feeling when you realize you are the only living survivor is the damn ship is really eerie

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Looks like it is in good hands, but i wonder if SS can work by dialogue and interacting with characters. I have never played ss1, but in ss2 the feeling when you realize you are the only living survivor is the damn ship is really eerie

Both games are the same, there are a handful of survivors around, but you never interact with them directly and you eventually outlive them.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://www.develop-online.net/news/...ock-and-thief-devs-for-system-shock-3/0223640

Original SHODAN voice performer Terri Brosius also returning

Otherside Entertainment has announced the industry veterans set to work on long awaited RPG sequel System Shock 3.

Heading up the team is iconic designer Warren Spector, who announced in February his plan to return to full-time development on the series he helped create as creative director and studio manager.

Spector is joined by a host of co-creators from many of his other franchises, including Deus Ex, Epic Mickey and Wing Commander.

These include design designer Sheldon Pacotti, who served as lead writer for Deus Ex and its sequel Invisible War, as well as lead programmer and designer on projects such as Auto Assault and America’s Army during his 20-plus-year career.

Arturo Pulecio takes on the role of art director, having previously spent some of his 14 years in the industry working on MMOs such as Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons & Dragons Online and Warhammer Online, plus both Epic Mickey games.

Rounding out the trio is tech director Jason Hughes, who worked on Wing Commander, Epic Mickey and Star Wars and has founded several studios of his own.

Also joining the Austin, Texas-based team is concept artist Robb Waters, who worked on System Shock and Irrational Games’ spiritual successor BioShock, and creative consultant Doug Church, who was game director for the first System Shock title.

Backing up the development acquisitions is the news that actor Terri Brosius, who provided the voice of evil AI SHODAN, will also return for the sequel.

As previously announced, the senior devs will collaborate with members of Otherside who worked on the original System Shock games, including lead designer and Thief dev Tim Sellmach and art director and BioShock artist Nate Wells – with the studio itself founded by creative director Paul Neurath.

Holy shit, Terri, Doug Church and Sheldon Pacotti are on board!

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
That's a summary of the original press release. Here's the full version:

OTHERSIDE ASSEMBLES DREAM DEVELOPMENT TEAM FOR SYSTEM SHOCK 3

Game industry legend Warren Spector to work with key developers from Deus Ex, System Shock, and more

Austin, TX, August 30, 2016 – OtherSide Entertainment is proud to announce the formation of its Austin development studio and that studio’s first project, System Shock 3, the latest in the series of classic, award-winning System Shock games.

Since its official inception in July, the studio has assembled its core team, made up of industry veterans under the guidance of Creative Director and Studio Manager, Warren Spector.

Warren Spector (Creative Director, Studio Manager)
The System Shock 3 team is being led by 33-year industry legend, Warren Spector, winner of several game of the year awards and honored with four lifetime achievement awards for his contributions to gaming. Warren played a key role in bringing the original Underworld and System Shock games to life and was also behind the seminal Deus Ex series, as well as Disney Epic Mickey and Disney Epic Mickey: The Power of Two.

Sheldon Pacotti - Design Director
In his 22-year career in the game industry, Sheldon has proven himself to be a multidisciplinary developer whose past experience includes stints as lead writer on Deus Ex and Deus Ex: Invisible War, on which he played a critical role. He also has credits as lead programmer and lead designer on many other projects. Among the games he has worked on are Auto Assault and America’s Army. He comes to OtherSide with an unparalleled academic background, with degrees in mathematics and literature from MIT and Harvard.

Arturo Pulecio - Art Director
Arturo brings to the project more than 14 years of hands-on experience in every aspect of video game art. Among the titles he has worked on are Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Dark Age of Camelot, Warhammer Online, Wizard 101, and both Disney Epic Mickey games.

Jason Hughes - Tech Director
Jason Hughes is a 21-year veteran industry technologist and generalist with deep knowledge of game systems. In a career that includes Wing Commander, Star Wars, and Disney Epic Mickey, Jason has everything from AI to graphics under his belt and has built multiple indie studios from scratch, operating both as founder and core technical leader.

All of these team leaders have worked with Spector before on games including Deus Ex, Deus Ex: Invisible War, Disney Epic Mickey, and Disney Epic Mickey: The Power of Two.

In addition, the team is consulting with members of the original System Shock teams within OtherSide Entertainment, including creative director Paul Neurath (System Shock, System Shock 2), lead designer Tim Stellmach (System Shock, Thief: The Dark Project) and art director Nate Wells (System Shock 2, BioShock).

Finally, OtherSide Austin will engage the talents of Terri Brosius, the voice behind the System Shock series’ malevolent AI, SHODAN, and concept artist Robb Waters (System Shock, BioShock). Outside creative consultants include Doug Church, game director on the original System Shock game.

To receive future updates on System Shock 3 as they become available, please register for our newsletter here. And stay tuned for an upcoming announcement regarding the game engine that Otherside Entertainment will be using to create the world of System Shock 3 and other titles.

ABOUT OTHERSIDE ENTERTAINMENT
OtherSide Entertainment is an independent game studio with offices in Boston and Austin, focused on providing players with innovative gameplay, immersive worlds, and engaging narrative. In addition to System Shock 3, the company is developing the eagerly-anticipated Underworld Ascendant and innovative VR game Underworld Overlord.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.polygon.com/features/2016/8/30/12700542/system-shock-3-art

SEE THE FIRST CONCEPT IMAGES FROM SYSTEM SHOCK 3

Designer Warren Spector talks about Shodan and other returning characters.

When I chatted with Warren Spector back in February, he'd just announced plans to join development house OtherSide Entertainment to make System Shock 3, the next game in one of the most influential role-playing series of the past two decades. His first job, he said at the time, would be to start hiring his team.

Six months on, he's announced the first few hires, all of whom have a long pedigree in development. They include Arturo Pulecio (Dark Age of Camelot,Warhammer Online) who started work last month and got straight down to creating concept artwork for the game.

OtherSide released two pieces of art to Polygon, including this image for the game's artificial intelligence super-villain Shodan, as well as an image (further below) of Citadel Station, which was the setting for the original game.

shodancrop.0.jpg

THE RETURN OF SHODAN
Last week, I spoke to Spector again to find out what I could about the game, which is likely a few years away from release. He gave up some basic information about the story, including details of returning characters that will probably be welcomed by fans of the sci-fi action series.

First things first, Spector talked about how Shodan will definitely be a big part of System Shock 3.

"Shodan is the heart and soul of System Shock games," he said. "That's the beauty of System Shock 3; nobody else has Shodan. She'll be at the center of the game, but I also want to put her through some changes.

"Arturo has been working on our version of Shodan, which is going to be interesting and different from what people expect. I expect it will infuriate some people but definitely get people talking."

"SHODAN IS THE HEART AND SOUL OF SYSTEM SHOCK GAMES."
Shodan — her name is an acronym of Sentient Hyper-Optimized Data Access Network — was the central antagonist in the first two System Shock games. Originally created to service a space station, she is tasked with deleting incriminating files. The player in the original game is a hacker who removes her ethics constraints. This turns out to be a bad move.

Over the course of the two games, Shodan reveals herself to be skilled in manipulating systems and people. Her goal is to annihilate the human race. She taunts and mocks the player. Even in defeat, she finds a way to survive.

"In System Shock 3 I want to explore Shodan's motivations," said Spector. "In the first two games her plan was to destroy humanity because, with the removal of her ethical constraints by the hacker in the first game, she's going insane. But we never explained why she wants to destroy humanity. So we're going to be exploring the idea of a super intelligence and what would motivate a super intelligent AI."

citadel.0.jpg

THE SURVIVORS ARE BACK
At the end of the second game, Shodan downloads herself into a human woman called Rebecca Sutton, leaving a cliffhanger. This will be the starting point ofSystem Shock 3.

"We are going to be picking up all of the loose threads of System Shock 2. Rebecca Sutton is going to appear in this game, for sure," he said.

Spector pointed out that there are six survivors from the previous games. Their stories will all be addressed in System Shock 3 as well. Among the NPCs, there's Shodan and Sutton as well as her colleague, Tommy Suarez. The story will also include Rebecca Lansing, who was the player's human guide in the first game.

ORIGINAL REMAKE
Last year, Night Dive Studios announced plans to give gamers another chance to return to the original System Shock. The developer is working on a faithfully reimagined version of the original game.

Spector said that he's glad the old game will find a new audience. "We talk to [Night Dive] a lot. I'm not particularly worried about there being any confusion. I'm kind of psyched because they're doing a lot of the hard work of reminding people about the games and building an expectation of what comes next."

Also, the game will feature the two previous protagonists: the hacker from the original game, and the soldier from System Shock 2.

"We're going to tell their story," said Spector. "There are a lot of questions that went unanswered in those first two games and we have an obligation to fans to fill in the blanks. For new players I think that will pull them into a compelling narrative."

The story will also delve into the history of Edward Diego, a key character in the first game who persuades the player to hack into Shodan.

The original System Shock takes place in the year 2072, while System Shock 2 takes place 42 years later in 2114, also the year in which the new game picks up the story.

Spector said he wants to create a game that addresses today's concerns and that draws upon modern technological advances to make predictions about the future: "I like to base everything in reality and extrapolate from there. We want to be able to look at where we are today and ask where we might be a hundred years from now."

Like the original, the game will feature virtual spaces as well as real world locations, as the player tackles Shodan on her own cyber turf.

"There's been a lot more research into UI and super intelligence in recent years. That will find itself in System Shock 3," he said. "We understand hacking a lot better than we used to and it will be presented in a completely different way than it was presented in the earlier games.

"Back when we made System Shock, cyberpunk was still at its height in terms of popularity and cultural significance and it was a big inspiration. Nowadays, cyberpunk is a little less current. I've learned over the years that it's foolish to try to convince people to become interested in something they don't care about, so we're finding things that people are interested in today."

PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE
The original games are still going to serve as a central inspiration. Spector played them both recently.

"As I was playing them, I emailed people who worked on the original games," he said. "I would say, 'oh my god, this game is so hard' and the response I would get back would be '1994.' Then I'd say, 'this thing is so big' and the response was '1994.' And then I'd say, the UI in this game is terrible, what were we thinking?' and the response would be '1994.' So it was an eye-opening experience just in terms of how far games have come since then.

"Even so, Shodan was still a compelling character. And we were empowering players in the way we asked them to construct the story themselves. There were some wonderful aspects that we want to keep in System Shock 3, but not the UI!"

SYSTEM SHOCK 3 DICE 2016 INTERVIEW
Untitled.0.jpg

While finishing off his tenure at the University of Texas in Austin, Warren Spector met with Polygon at DICE in Las Vegas to talk about the new game. "It's just me in a room, typing a lot," he said. "This is my second day on the job so it's a little early to be saying what I'm going to be doing, but I have a concept doc that I wrote up over the last couple of weeks. That's all that exists right now."

I asked Spector if, given that he worked on the first game but not the second, he feels a closer affinity to one than the other?

"I like and respect the second one but it was significantly different from the first," he replied. "I'm constantly struggling with how much we adhere to the tenets of the first one and how much do we adhere to the tenets of the second one. The second game was a much more traditional role-playing game than the first one. It's a mental struggle for me about which direction I want to go in. I will admit that."

In the meantime, he's pulling together the rest of his Austin, Texas-based team. As well as Pulecio, his new hires include tech director Jason Hughes (Wing Commander, Epic Mickey) and design director Sheldon Pacotti (Deus Ex, America's Army).

He wants the team to bring back the spirit of System Shock and the aspects that made it so influential to later game developers:

"20 years ago we were building open-ended, solve-it-yourself kind of games. We used to look at each other and say 'why isn't everyone making games like this?' Now, many more people are making games like that, so of course it's harder to stand out. You have to innovate and I'm confident that we will. We're following in the footsteps of the people who followed in our footsteps. We've got some surprises for people.”
babykayak.png

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"I like and respect the second one but it was significantly different from the first," he replied. "I'm constantly struggling with how much we adhere to the tenets of the first one and how much do we adhere to the tenets of the second one. The second game was a much more traditional role-playing game than the first one. It's a mental struggle for me about which direction I want to go in. I will admit that."

Chances of thread moving to General Gaming rising

Ash

Arcane
"Doug Church"

Codex and its game dev celebrities :roll:

Who am I kidding. This is the dream team! :bounce:

Infinitron said:
Chances of thread moving to General Gaming rising

:negative:

I want a competent modern Im Sim RPG hybrid god damn it.

BlackGoat

Arbiter
Pretty damn excited, but that new Shodan image is terrible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom