Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Tabletop Simulator: It's p. gud

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Dayyālu, I see you own this already, have you tried battletech? How does it compare to MegaMek? Since we do still have one game pending, I could as well buy this when the next sale hits. Then we could also organize some Codexian Eldritch Horror.

Blaine, Cthulhu is probably the second hardest Great Old One in the base game, the first one being Shub-Niggurath. That said it's quite hard anyway and beating it on the first try is a nice badge of honor, congratz'. You need good logistics to beat it, while the other GOOs can fall to a stroke of luck I find Cthulhu is the most consistently challenging, although you can game it quite a bit.
If you want a greater challenge, try Shub Niggurath next, loads of fights, never managed to beat it with random investigators. If you have access to the expansions Yig is probably the most challenging, although I don't find it very fun.

Since as far as I can tell there's no dlc for Eldritch Horror, I suppose that's some mod you download from the workshop? Do you know if the expansions featuring additional boards are implemented?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Since as far as I can tell there's no dlc for Eldritch Horror, I suppose that's some mod you download from the workshop? Do you know if the expansions featuring additional boards are implemented?

A huge number of board games are implemented only via Workshop mods, yeah, and many rival or even meet DLC quality. There are numerous Eldritch Horror implementations, including one with a lot of scripting and every expansion known to mankind plus fan expansions (but some jaggy low-res assets), and one with fewer expansions and no scripting, but all high-quality assets (the one I prefer).

Speaking of scripting, if someone takes the time to label cards by name and inherent properties, you can place a widget on top of any deck, enter a keyword, and instantly find the matching unique card/first matching non-unique card. SUPER-handy for Eldritch Horror, obviously.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Pretty sure this is the 12th game in a row (might just be 10th-11th, I'm starting to lose track) I've won playing against the group leader or with the group leader present in a larger group. It's also his favorite game. The usual sequence of events is that we play a short game and then a longer game of an evening, often with him teaching me the rules for the first time, and then I win both.

I'm actually concerned at this point, because although I haven't been gloating at all and he seems to be a good sport, I have to wonder how he's taking it. He recruited me, but then again he probably didn't realize he was recruiting an ancient gamelord.

018af39f89.png

Dayyālu

Arcane
Dayyālu, I see you own this already, have you tried battletech? How does it compare to MegaMek? Since we do still have one game pending, I could as well buy this when the next sale hits. Then we could also organize some Codexian Eldritch Horror.

Tabletop Simulator is good but it does nothing for you, you have to roll and to do everything by yerself. It's a tool. Megamek is a fully functional game, and considering the amount of messy old-style rules BT has Megamek is still the superior option.

TS is great, though. Get eeeet.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
It's 50% off in the summer sale right now. I've been having fun dicking around with it.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
There are numerous Eldritch Horror implementations, including one with a lot of scripting and every expansion known to mankind plus fan expansions (but some jaggy low-res assets), and one with fewer expansions and no scripting, but all high-quality assets (the one I prefer).

Sorry to bring this up again. After wading through the mind boggling amount of games and custom scripting, I settled with Shanky Panky's version, all high res with 7 out of 8 expansions. There's also a custom setup script available as a different mod that, as far as I can tell, works like a charm. Could you plese tell me which version (author) are you using?

In any case, TTS itself is really awesome. A bit clunky to learn but also fairly customizable, there are an incredible amount of games I always wanted to try but never wanted to buy myself. Unfortunately, one such games is Shadow of Brimstone and, although the game is downloadable from the workshop, it lacks the adventure book which I'm also unable to find through other means. Only custom adventures.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Already spent my share of money on 40k and games this month, but this seems really interesting. Anyone here already played a 40k match? How well does it work?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Already spent my share of money on 40k and games this month, but this seems really interesting. Anyone here already played a 40k match? How well does it work?

It'll work pretty much the same as any actual tabletop match, except potentially with unit info tooltips, health bars, and of course fancy battle maps you can find for download in the Workshop. There's a built-in linear measurement device, and if you need shit like those plastic cone/area of effect markers, then no doubt they're available on the Workshop also.

The real barrier is getting lazy, shy, socially retarded morons and faggots to stop masturbating for a few minutes and actually play something that isn't a clicker, mobile game, or Bethesda walking simulator.

As for me, the day has come for our game of Twilight Imperium. I'm slightly regretting signing up, since a lot of people will be learning it for the first time, which means we're going to be there for a really, REALLY long fucking time. If we actually finish, it'll probably end up taking 8+ hours. Because it requires such a time investment, I doubt there'll be more than a very occasional game of TI once every few months, and we'll probably be lucky to have 3-4 players.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
it'll probably end up taking 8+ hours

Good luck mate. My only experience with TI is over 11 hours long for a single game. That's one of those game I like a lot but I'll probably only play once I'm retired.

Have you already tried Eclipse? Less of a space opera compared to Twilight Imperium but much closer to a real 4X, the closest you can get to Master of Orion, imho.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
It looks like this game will end up taking around 10 hours. I wish for the sweet release of death with each passing hour.

Have you already tried Eclipse? Less of a space opera compared to Twilight Imperium but much closer to a real 4X, the closest you can get to Master of Orion, imho.

I own Eclipse IRL and yes, I'm going to see if I can get people to try it since it's quicker and leaner.

Destroid

Arcane
I don't like Eclipse a whole lot, it's fun building up your Empire but the military side of things isn't very good.

I like that the inbuilt physics engine allows you to simulate a real sperg out tantrum. Also all the Warhammer stuff on there is great. Despite GW trying to take it down.

ironmask

Arbiter
I just heard about this yesterday. Always wanted to play a table top RPG but no one ever seem to be interest in playing these kinds of games. Is it easy to find players online?

Ninjerk

Arcane
I just heard about this yesterday. Always wanted to play a table top RPG but no one ever seem to be interest in playing these kinds of games. Is it easy to find players online?
I actually bought a 4-pack when it went on some megasale but only really toyed around with it once and didn't look for games online. I was thinking I might try to get some of my IRL friends together for something, but never got around to it.

Calthaer

Educated
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I use TTS only for the board games. During the pandemic, been playing the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game every other week with friends. It's most excellent.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom