Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tale of Wuxia - Prequel released on Steam too

Jinn

Arcane
Damn I wish that 2D version had a translation. I really like the looks of it. This remake is aesthetically appealing for sure in it's own way, but those 2D graphics have got it beat in my opinion.

Also, Tale of Wuxia is a pretty amazing game that I've had a lot of fun with. I got to the 15 hour mark and decided that I had fucked up my character build a bit more than I would have liked, so I forced myself to stop playing. I'm waiting a little while before I give it another try simply because I've played through the intro twice already and it's somewhat lengthy. Need to enjoy it somewhat fresh next time.

Anyway, besides that absolutely horrendous translation (which doesn't end up being a big deal, as the emotion and concepts are conveyed well enough), this game seems like it would be a codex darling. There is tons of C&C, and extremely intricate character building process and some decent exploration. The story and world are pretty great too. The character that I was playing was a zither playing teaist kung-fu man. You can use both music and tea knowledge in battle. That's fucking awesome to me. Even the martial art simulator part of the game where you essentially continually craft your character was extremely satisfying (even though I much prefer the art from the exploration mode of the game).

I highly recommend people try out this wonderful [rough] gem. I will be returning to it in a month or so, and I'm certain I'll be just as hooked as the first time I played it.

Lhynn

Arcane
I heard latest patch is already in the chinese version, that means a huge expansion with tons of new things. When well get the translated version im not sure, hopefully soon.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
So, I've got Nyaa (the guy who did this awesome Legend of Wulin Heroes LP) to write the article on Tale of Wuxia:

1532cd69-dc8e-44b6-8334-7c2fbdfa29f7
L78wYxr.jpg

Any comments?

Severian Silk

"Yes, you can learn to become skilled in alcohol in this game!"
"smithing" not "smiting"

2D version looks better, but matching the same art style after 15 years is not easy. Hell, Fallout 2 couldn't manage it after 1 year.

Lhynn

Arcane
I do love the shit out of the animations in tale of wuxia, they are really well done.

aleam iacis

Liturgist
Codex USB, 2014 BattleTech
I've been playing this! It's very fun but often unclear in what to do. In the first town I unknowingly wasted a lot of time fishing trying to complete what I thought was a quest for the old fisherman but even catching the multicolored divine fish didn't do anything. And then in one of the main story towns I got the seemingly important Ink Immortal painting and thought there would be someone to give it to to get a reward, but I couldn't get that to work out. I'm sure I messed up other opportunities but I thought I was clear on what to do in these two situations so it was rather annoying.

But overall I really appreciate the game. There are certainly some annoying bits, like being unable to skip cutscenes (particularly annoying when restarting the game with a new character) and I find some of the minigames unpleasant, but it's kind of incredible and open compared to other RPGs I've played recently.

Lhynn

Arcane
Well, in the first and second town all quests are optional. You have a time limit and get to spend the time however you want. Some of those quests give permanent stat boosts or some of the strongest martial arts (very well known legendary martial arts in the world setting by the way) in the game btw.

Remember that while you have a lot of time to train inners improve stats, the time is in fact limited, eventually you will be kicked out of training mode forever and will have to make due with whatever you got (and believe me, it will be a challenge). So be wary of what you invest your time on. Much like in real life your choices will ultimately shape what you become.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
How is the character development? Complex or superficial? Lots of options for combat?

Lhynn

Arcane
How is the character development? Complex or superficial? Lots of options for combat?
Fairly complex, and completely up to you, you can finish your training with a shit character.
In combat you have available all unarmed styles you know, plus the styles that belong to the weapon you have equiped.
Every martial style has 2 or 3 moves, and while the first move is cooldown free, the second and third move arent, and their cooldowns are reset every time you change a style. The first move of each style is usually fairly powerful, but the second and third move are more often than not gamechangers, so you want to specialize in a weapon and use the best style you have learned within that weapon category, only swiching for the secondary effect other styles provide.

You are limited to 1 action per round, so while you have tons of options, what you do in each round usually echoes all the way to the end of the fight. Even using items or swamping weapons uses the action. Also your speed dictactes how much you can move (which is independent of the action), but having enemies close by diminishes your movement possibility, or outright cancels it as you cant move on spaces that are threatened by them. Finally positioning dictates how effective the attack will be, so attacking someone from the front will usually never crit, have low chances of landing and more often than not provoke a counter attack, while attacks from the back maximize this. So every turn youll try to maneuver in a way that leaves your enemy exposed, and while this is fairly brainless in 1v1s it quickly takes a ton of importance when facing multiple enemies.

Combat at first is fairly simple, but as the game advances and especially after your training is over you will probably have tons of martial styles and handle big parties against plenty of enemies, so it becomes more and more complex, ending with something more akin to a tactics than a rpg.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Fairly complex, and completely up to you, you can finish your training with a shit character.
In combat you have available all unarmed styles you know, plus the styles that belong to the weapon you have equiped.
Every martial style has 2 or 3 moves, and while the first move is cooldown free, the second and third move arent, and their cooldowns are reset every time you change a style. The first move of each style is usually fairly powerful, but the second and third move are more often than not gamechangers, so you want to specialize in a weapon and use the best style you have learned within that weapon category, only swiching for the secondary effect other styles provide.

You are limited to 1 action per round, so while you have tons of options, what you do in each round usually echoes all the way to the end of the fight. Even using items or swamping weapons uses the action. Also your speed dictactes how much you can move (which is independent of the action), but having enemies close by diminishes your movement possibility, or outright cancels it as you cant move on spaces that are threatened by them. Finally positioning dictates how effective the attack will be, so attacking someone from the front will usually never crit, have low chances of landing and more often than not provoke a counter attack, while attacks from the back maximize this. So every turn youll try to maneuver in a way that leaves your enemy exposed, and while this is fairly brainless in 1v1s it quickly takes a ton of importance when facing multiple enemies.

Combat at first is fairly simple, but as the game advances and especially after your training is over you will probably have tons of martial styles and handle big parties against plenty of enemies, so it becomes more and more complex, ending with something more akin to a tactics than a rpg.

Thank you for the great explanation

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Severian Silk

Because believe it or not, translating games is basically taking on a 2nd full-time job. Translating Empire 1 made me gain 20 lbs because i have zero discipline and am obsessive so i did almost all of the game in the span of 3-4 months and then realized i'd gained 20 fucking pounds. Am currently awaiting help from friends MrRichard999 and Helly to basically just do me the huge favor of finishing the translation of the NPC dialog in Empire 1, free of charge, just because :), so i can insert that text and finish it and am 100% content doing jack shit until they find the time to do this if/when out of the goodness of their hearts.

I attempted for about 2 solid weeks to do a straight up "dictionary translation", i.e. taking every NPC dialog / event dialog and running it through various actual-legitimate japanese dictionary translation software (i.e. not Google) and then slowly teaching myself how to actually read hiragana enough to decide on a legible interpretation of the dictionary translation of the dialogs.

This proved to be completely insane and not because it wouldn't produce a good result (it produced prelimnary results that exceed many official localizations, such as the execrable Stranger of Sword City translation for example); but it means, obviously, investing untold hours basically teaching myself hiragana and katakana and learning about STROKES and shit like that (Helly understands that reference) and... i simply don't have time right now.

I decided to simply leave Empire 1 on stand-by until people do stuff for me for no other reason than me asking them <3 and in the mean time concentrate on losing weight and actually learning hiragana basics first.

I am currently using a japanese teaching website which utilizes virtual flash cards and in my spare time (i.e. when not lazy) practice.

Also: this game looks like fucking shit dude, wtf? Get kult, man! <(' '<)

Lhynn

Arcane
Apparently the translation for the last patch is on the works. It was suposed to come with the patch but got delayed.

Severian Silk

Severian Silk

Because believe it or not, translating games is basically taking on a 2nd full-time job. Translating Empire 1 made me gain 20 lbs because i have zero discipline and am obsessive so i did almost all of the game in the span of 3-4 months and then realized i'd gained 20 fucking pounds. Am currently awaiting help from friends MrRichard999 and Helly to basically just do me the huge favor of finishing the translation of the NPC dialog in Empire 1, free of charge, just because :), so i can insert that text and finish it and am 100% content doing jack shit until they find the time to do this if/when out of the goodness of their hearts.

I attempted for about 2 solid weeks to do a straight up "dictionary translation", i.e. taking every NPC dialog / event dialog and running it through various actual-legitimate japanese dictionary translation software (i.e. not Google) and then slowly teaching myself how to actually read hiragana enough to decide on a legible interpretation of the dictionary translation of the dialogs.

This proved to be completely insane and not because it wouldn't produce a good result (it produced prelimnary results that exceed many official localizations, such as the execrable Stranger of Sword City translation for example); but it means, obviously, investing untold hours basically teaching myself hiragana and katakana and learning about STROKES and shit like that (Helly understands that reference) and... i simply don't have time right now.

I decided to simply leave Empire 1 on stand-by until people do stuff for me for no other reason than me asking them <3 and in the mean time concentrate on losing weight and actually learning hiragana basics first.

I am currently using a japanese teaching website which utilizes virtual flash cards and in my spare time (i.e. when not lazy) practice.

Also: this game looks like fucking shit dude, wtf? Get kult, man! <(' '<)
You didn't answer my question, though. Why console blobber crap? No one's ever going to appreciate the work that you did.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i actually, literally, translate almost exclusively for my own personal playthrough of the game. however since i know other peeps here enjoy Wiz-clones i share whatever small amount of work i've managed to do.

for example right now i'm playing through elminage 3 on psp emulator using a "menu patch" of my own doing i ripped the menu command textures from elminage 1 (which was localized into english) and used a program to make them override the japanese menus in elminage 3 since they're 95% the same (in the same order, the same commands, etc).

every day i translate a few items of the 500+ elminage 3 item list and such, even though it's not really necessary for myself ATM; but i know eventually once all 500+ items are in english, the spells, etc, (everything but the dialog); i can make a thread about it here and someone will enjoy it.

i actually can't even begin to imagine someone spending the amount of time and effort required to translate a game into english if the primary reason wasn't for themselves to play the game, and THEN as a distant secondary reason perhaps derive some altruistic (natch) enjoyment out of helping someone else play the game.

i was going to make a thread about my finished "menu patch" for wizardry empire 3 for PSP emulator, i.e. complete entire item list, monsters, spells, menus, etc, you know the drill: everything but the dialog but on a whim i decided to start a new game of my translated .ISO and it crashes constantly. it is very, very disheartening when you've spent dozens and dozens of hours and work doing something like this and then you playtest it as a new game and it is FUBAR'd for no reason that you can fathom (i playtested the game extensively by playing through it myself as i translated it on the go; it was when i created a New Game that it started crashing).

er, i don't really have any particular point to make with this post i guess i'm just venting and simultaenously explaining to yourself that the work is first for my own selfish want of playing and there is desire for any sort of accolades or whatever.

too many years on the codex have taught me very well just how deep the dark abyss of Drama Modding can become and swallow you wholeee (i.e. Drog, Qwinn, Wesp, Obsidian Entertainment, etc).

tbh, the real reason is basically i have become inspired by the awesome work of MrRichard999. It was his and his friends/colleagues/internet associates translation of Wiz Empire 2 that 1) showed me the incredible world of japanese Wiz-clones/Wizardry titles and, 2) allowed me to experience the beauty that is Wiz Empire 2 the game, and 3) helped me begin to understand the basics of some stuff.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
Play it and decide for yourself, it really is a unique experience. Youll be experiencing a very alien way of designing games and it is a fun ride all the way to the end.

Dont go too overboard with the difficulty tho, 1st or 2nd difficulty are fine, more than that and the game rapes you unless you know it by heart.

Latro

Arcane
I recommend the 3rd difficulty.

it'll get touched up your butt, but it'll teach you the game and you'll probably restart once you understand how the game works. and this game is meant to be replayed over and over, so that's a good thing

OracleX

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
This game is gooood! The prequels looked so interesting that I added those to my inventory as well. To bad, I can't read Chinese. Someone has a English walkthrough laying around?
Tales of Wuxia deserves a Codex review, I'm sure there are a lot of people missing this gem.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This shit's fun and all, but where the fuck do I find Iron Chest keys, Halp?

Lhynn

Arcane
Uhm, there should be more than you need, some chest that require no keys give you keys too.
If you fail at a chest open game a few times and waste a few keys you can always reload, but i remember messing up and still having enough of them.
Some chests need specific keys by the way.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I ran into two chests, both asked me for an iron chest key.

Also this is so so so much better than the 2 hours I played of Jade Empire.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom