Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tale of Wuxia - Prequel released on Steam too

sooooooo i began playing this game due to a rec from Lhynn but it doesn't recognize my keyboard.

:(

BTW, I played almost 40 mins before I realized the game didn't recognize my KB, I just assumed since it is chinty chink ware that they just are shit at coding or whatever... POINT IS that from the intro/beginning stuff I played the translation is fucking fine.

I think the people who complain about its translation are probably the types who think changing FF6 Terra's name back to the inferior "Tina" is a good thing because it is "more accurate". Those people are fucking cancer.
Disconnect any gamepad before starting the game. keyboard should work fine then.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

"Pre-Sequel" is coming very soon:

ss_129514fc7a8d324cf962f7a4b225aecc405383fa.600x338.jpg

ss_91598caaa6093053156559764ed1366e07951db0.600x338.jpg

Tale of Wuxia: The Pre-Sequel, the authentic sequel of Tale of Wuxia which surpasses the latter in every way, is a CRPG developed by Fenghuang Game and Heluo Studio. This U3D-based game includes better story, funnier events and enhanced gameplay. Tale of Wuxia: The Pre-Sequel enriched the character development in Martial Arts and skill variance. Your character can not only learn Arts itself, but also invite multiple members into the squad and select their skills. The brand-new Squad-combat Mode and Jianghu Tales Mode randomize the gameplay, different squad-members and talents grant you various tactics.

1.The brand-new Tales Mode in Free-roaming makes the main-map richer than ever. Free-roaming is no longer a means of travelling, but more as the background of real Jianghu stories.
2.Invite different characters to the squad. Every member has unique personality and tactic.
3.Multiple endings.
4.Abundent side-quests make Jianghu truly dangerous.
5.Added new stories.

Jinn

Arcane
Holy shit.

:d1p:

Looks so good! I figured they had English in mind, but I was wondering if it would actually release in English. I'm very pleasantly surprised.

getter77

Augur
Wow, definitely a surprise there! Hopefully this one has a smoother launch and is on top of the translation quality compared to the last time around so folks don't dismiss it out of hand.

Jinn

Arcane
Potential incline. I'm still buttmad about them just dumping a bunch of content for ToW and then not translating anything.

My hope is that western support of this coming release will urge them to recognize that their English speaking fans deserve some love.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't give fuuuuck, I'm going to get the new one once I have some games cleared from my backlog.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Just bought it a couple of days ago and already completed my first playthrough (evil). Game is not as expansive as I initially thought and there's a lot of metaknowledge that goes into making the right decisions, but all in all it's solid as can be and extremely fun. Counting the hours for the sequel's release.

Jinn

Arcane
Downloading now! Will post first impressions later if I'm able.

Jinn

Arcane
Been playing for the past 4 hours or so and having an extremely fun time. If you like the original 2015 Tale of Wuxia, you're going to love the prequel. While the martial arts simulation part of the first game is absent, and you don't have the opportunity to create your own character, you still have a fair amount of control of how your party is developed. Essentially you start with Gu and Ji from the original. You have 4 options for weapon specialization to begin with in Gu's case, and Ji has his signature broad sword setup. The interesting thing is you train skills independently by selecting which one you want your experience to go towards prior to battle. It's kind of difficult to explain, but makes sense quickly within the context of the game. There are also training books with main stat limitations that hold new combat abilities.

The sense of freedom in contrast to Tale of Wuxia feels like such a relief to me. It's wonderful to be able to explore a city or town at my leisure, without the threat of the end of the day being triggered. While I appreciated the re-playablity and sense of urgency this promoted in the original, it always left me feeling like I had missed so much that I wanted to explore still. With that in mind, from what I've heard and seen so far, the prequel still has a lot of choice and consequences that will urge the player to explore the game several times. I haven't yet had a chance to explore the world map much yet, but the little I have was nice.

The translation is still a horrible piece of shit, but almost slightly improved from the original in a way. I can't quite put my finger on why. Just seems more consistent so far. Also still tons of typos. Despite this, the characters and world remain just as charming and unique as they were in the original. The text boxes, font, and UI are massive improvements, but could still use a little work. The amazing artwork has has managed to somehow been improved upon in this. Love the character portraits so much (so that I'm considering trying to make some avatars for the codex with them). Music remains very good as well.

Anyway, regardless of the flaws it shares with Tale of Wuxia, the game seems well worth the price tag right now. Especially so if you were a fan of the original.

EDIT: I was actually wrong about the translation. It is somehow worse than the first game's. These guys really need to get their shit together if they want to start releasing games for a western audience.

Last edited:

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Jinn touched on pretty much everything I wanted to so I'll just add a few more things.

Yeah, the translation is a horrible mess. I'd say the overall quality is inferior than that of the first game but, on the flipside, you don't get as many 'wtf' moments where the translation makes no sense. Grammar and spelling are awful but I haven't come across anything I can't actually understand, so that's good.

I kinda miss having my own character from last time but the game gives you a lot of options even from the start, as Jinn said. And the way leveling styles/moves works now, you get to choose what to focus on and what to improve. And the game tells you what level an internal style will give you another trait, which is useful for planning what you want instead of having to max everything at once. One thing I don't like is that, from my experimentation, exp gain is at least partially awarded from kills, which means you need to micromanage who gets them (especially if you've got guest characters, since they don't benefit from them).

UI is generally improved, with 90% less walls of text which don't fit into the screen - not entirely gone, but SO much better. Tooltips are not as good at giving you info on various stats so having that knowledge from the previous game is useful. I like the keyboard shortcuts (F1 onwards) to access every part of the menu, although Save and Load are rest next to each other so make sure AUTO-SAVE is disabled before you click on a new save (otherwise you're in the Load screen and there's no prompt to confirm your load, so you can lose your progress!). Inventory is divided into sections so it's not a clusterfuck of items like last time. Even new items are marked as such which helps. Items (and characters, in general) are more powerful which probably means they're gonna play a bigger role than in the first game.

Haven't had any issues with activation or anything, and they rolled out a hotfix today for people with resolution issues.

Jinn

Arcane
As much as I hate to say it, it might be better to give this one a week or two to get patched up. Their first hotfix broke several things in the prequel already. Really disappointing. Was having a great time, but I don't want to play with these bugs.

Having received a Chinese RPG blue-balling, I might have to try out Gate of the Firmament. I've heard good and bad things about it, the worst being that there are tons of cutscenes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom