Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tales of Maj'Eyal

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Just found out about this, downloading now.

Normally I HATE roguelikes with a passion, as they SUCK ass, but this one looks intriguing from the screenies. First, it has real graphics, and unlike Dredmore it has serious, non funny/ridiculous graphics.

Anyone here play the free demo/beta and can comment on it?

Fezzik

Cipher
It's a lot of fun. More story and more quests than other roguelikes which is both a good and a bad thing. The different classes represent quite distinct ways of playing the game; in particular the way the skill system works, I feel like there's more freedom and diversity in the early game than in Crawl, though Crawl tends to feel more tactical once you're something like five levels in because of all the wands, spells, gods, and consumables. And gradually unlocking classes and races enhances the feeling of discovery that roguelikes offer. Definitely worth playing.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
It doesn't get much love here, I guess because its kool down based abilities. It's a delight to play, feels like a turn-based modern game. I'm waiting for the next version to re-take it.

PS: Does anyone know how to move the game window? It's borderless for me and I can resize but not move it...

Rpgsaurus Rex

It's very good.

The gameplay is 100% combat, pretty much. You've got like 20 different classes to experiment with, all of them quite unique and allow for different builds. For instance, you can play as a Necromancer and survive on minions, or go a nuke-heavy route. It's also very pretty - fully graphical and even has cool spell animations.

There is an "overworld" like in ADOM, with areas that have levels and usually a boss at the end. It has a semblance of a "story" and plenty of lore (poorly written) e.g. one level is timed, there's an "ambush" level etc..

At the same time, it's not really on the level of the "classics" such as Nethack or DCSS. There are "filler areas" and certain glaring balance issues, as well as none of the traditional "survival" stuff like hunger.

I'd give it a solid 4/5

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
I played it a bit and it seems cool, but I really don't like the fact that most classes are locked! I have downloaded an add on that promises to unlock the classes. Also, I have downloaded the deathknight add on, it seems cool and better than any of the official classes.

Anyone who has used both add ons please comment on them here! :)

Rpgsaurus Rex

I played it a bit and it seems cool, but I really don't like the fact that most classes are locked! I have downloaded an add on that promises to unlock the classes. Also, I have downloaded the deathknight add on, it seems cool and better than any of the official classes.

Anyone who has used both add ons please comment on them here! :)

Go to the official forums, spoiler section and "unlockables" thread. There is a file there that lets you unlock everything at once.

Personally, I think unlocking classes is retarded. Like, I might want to play an Archmage straight away - why won't the game let me, instead forcing me to into an "Alchemist" which is a completely different playstyle?

Just use that file.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Yah, that's the one I downloaded! But I want to play as the deathknight, which seems cool (haven't tried him out yet). Also downloaded the Mage Knight add on, seems like a cool class. :weeaboo:

7hm

Scholar
Its a very good combat oriented RPG. Its a pretty shitty roguelike though. Its way too long and suffers from wacky balance spikes. It can be played as a roguelike but ... I've 15 runed crawl before too, its not like I can't into roguelikes. Take it for what its worth.

Also a ton of repetition. Similar to ADOM. I'm not a huge fan of that style but tastes vary.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Yeah, I wouldn't recommend playing this on roguelike difficulty honestly. The game has plenty of outright bullshit, never mind the exceedingly high crit chances on abilities that are 'balanced' to take off 3/4 of your health in one shot to begin with.

laclongquan

Arcane
Where's the link, motherfuckers? Half a page and not a goddamn link to the website. What are you, fifteen years old and first time shitposter on Codex?

What am I to do? Post a walkthrough on how to post a thread to draw people to play a game AND remember to post the link?

TripJack

Hedonist
http://te4.org/tome lazy bum

i haven't played tome since before it made the bizarre change to a new setting

i think it was the first and last angband variant that i tried

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Where's the link, motherfuckers? Half a page and not a goddamn link to the website. What are you, fifteen years old and first time shitposter on Codex?

What am I to do? Post a walkthrough on how to post a thread to draw people to play a game AND remember to post the link?

Dude, just copy the name of the game and paste into google.

dragonbait

Augur
Isn't this the evolution of TOME after the cease and desist letter?
Yup.
So that's what happened. I haven't been following ToME's progress so wasn't sure it was the same game. It sure seems to have progressed allot since I last saw it. Will have to check the new version out. The screenshots look really spectacular, as does the updated website.

betamin

Learned
Can you still stairscum? For a game centered around combat this blows.

Rpgsaurus Rex

Can you still stairscum? For a game centered around combat this blows.

You can't. This was fixed quite a few versions ago (enemies are restored to full hp/mana/no cooldowns if you do).

betamin

Learned
Stairscumming is a vital survival technique in Crawl.

Not that kind of stairscum, ToME had this thing where if you left the area enemies would still have the same hp that they had when you left, unless you got 1-2 (I think?) shotted you would be effectively invincible. In Crawl they regenerate and they whoop your ass while you go up.

Heresiarch

Prophet
It's like a turn based single character Dragon Age/WOW. It IS fun to play, but don't expect full roguelike glory in it. No cursed items, no food, no unidentified scrolls or potions that can screw you up, and so on. But it's a good turn based hack & slash. You can even fucking dodge some of the slow moving ranged attacks.

Rpgsaurus Rex

More, different character builds.

More difficult (a limited amount of deaths allowed, you get raped easily past early game if you stop paying attention or try retarded builds, many situations where a misstep can mean death etc.)

It's not Diablo 2 (i.e. variety).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom