Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tales Of ... series - Vesperia out on Steam

flyingjohn

Arcane
Can anybody actually reason why the ps3 port is superior to the original gamecube version?
The consensus seems to be it has more content and some bugs are fixed,but equally the new content seems rushed and the frame rate is horrible compared to the gamecube version?
Maybe i am missing something?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Some massive discounts on several Tales games on the US PSN. If you're interested in the series but don't want to gamble on paying a lot of money, now is your chance.

Duraframe300

Arcane
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=194044875&postcount=612
Aaaand Tales of Symphonia is fixed.
Almost.
In 14 minutes.
You don't believe who did it. He promised to not touch it because it was so bad.

It's amazing that jap devs can be either extremely coding lazy like Beth or GSC, or master coders like easterneuropean groups.

Resolution is fixed. Everything else isn't (With framerate being the big thing that prevents it from being worthwhile). And probably won't be until Namco decides to remove the stupid drm.

Malpercio

Arcane
Can anybody actually reason why the ps3 port is superior to the original gamecube version?
The consensus seems to be it has more content and some bugs are fixed,but equally the new content seems rushed and the frame rate is horrible compared to the gamecube version?

The main difference is PS3 version is 30FPS vs GC 60FPS. Other than, PS3 has more content and some differences and dual audio. Also should be cheaper to get.

Arkeus

Arcane
PS3 version has more content (not rushed), more skills/etc, and the Dual Audio means that it also has voiced skits in JP (so you don't get the horrible voiceless skits in the eng version). However, it has a frameratelock at 30fps.

GC version doesn't have that, though it has "laggy as hell in combat" in the actual GC.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=194044875&postcount=612
Aaaand Tales of Symphonia is fixed.
Almost.
In 14 minutes.
You don't believe who did it. He promised to not touch it because it was so bad.

It's amazing that jap devs can be either extremely coding lazy like Beth or GSC, or master coders like easterneuropean groups.

Resolution is fixed. Everything else isn't (With framerate being the big thing that prevents it from being worthwhile). And probably won't be until Namco decides to remove the stupid drm.
I think there has been a couple of patches that fixed most of it?

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I've got roughly 18 hours into and with Durante's graphics fix I'm not really having any problems with it. The 30 FPS lock is pure retardation and inexcusable but I think most Tales of games run at 30 FPS, so it hasn't really been a game breaking problem for me.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
I want to personally shoot whoever is responsible for programming Zestiria camera.
What the fuck where they thinking?
I't kinda fun to have obstacles on the battlefield and troll mobs around them but then I get massivly trolled by the camera.
FUUUUCK

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Zestiria is 50% off. I'd say buy it. http://store.steampowered.com/app/351970/

I've also been playing Symphonia on and off - mostly last week though - and it's just meh so far. (Just got the third seal.) Maybe it gets better later, I dunno. Thus far I much prefer Zestiria's combat when it comes to both design and difficulty, and even Zestiria's exploration (though I guess Symphonia is technically more non-linear since you get a choice between two routes at one point - however, what is supposed to be the harder route has been a boring cakewalk so far).

Deleted member 7219

Zestiria is 50% off. I'd say buy it. http://store.steampowered.com/app/351970/

I've also been playing Symphonia on and off - mostly last week though - and it's just meh so far. (Just got the third seal.) Maybe it gets better later, I dunno. Thus far I much prefer Zestiria's combat when it comes to both design and difficulty, and even exploration (though I guess Symphonia is technically more non-linear since you get a choice between two routes at one point - however, what is supposed to be the harder route has been a boring cakewalk so far).

I picked up Symphonia today. With TSFix, it looks ok (downscaling 4K using Nvidia DSR), but the 30 FPS lock is noticeably painful.

The story and dialogue seem a bit shitty. I guess I've been spoiled by Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, which is just superb in comparison. I also massively prefer turn-based combat to this crap.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Symphonia's 3D-battlefield-but-still-on-2D-rails combat system is pretty clunky and feels wrong. I played Vesperia, and both Xillias recently and found them to be better.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Not a big fan of Symphonia either. I'm not entirely sure why people get so worked up over it, since the translation/story is pretty meh. I hear there's some twist but I can't imagine it being much of a game changer, especially if it's just a tired old "Oh, the angels were actually super mean and you now have to kill God" bit.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Not a big fan of Symphonia either. I'm not entirely sure why people get so worked up over it, since the translation/story is pretty meh. I hear there's some twist but I can't imagine it being much of a game changer, especially if it's just a tired old "Oh, the angels were actually super mean and you now have to kill God" bit.
It's far more convoluted than just that. I still have a lot of nostalgia for Symphonia and I'm kinda curious what I'll think of it if I play it again.

Siveon

Bot
Still plays like wet arse, but I'll be sure to keep an open mind next time I try it. However, I would like to see an opinion on Symphonia that's a bit more recent.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Tales of Symphonia also deserves a special mention for its incredibly awkward cutscenes. The animations in all action scenes are so clunky and delayed that it makes you feel uncomfortable.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Symphonia's main problem for me is just how easy it is; not a single challenging battle so far and I don't even grind. Also, it's just really rudimentary in both its mechanics and its writing compared to something like Zestiria.

On an unrelated note, Presea's storyline really came out of the blue. It's unexpectedly creepy for a game like this.
A mind-controlled girl routinely taking care of her father, who's actually a dead, rotting, decomposing body, but she doesn't notice that.
And everyone's like "Eww what's that smell??" and then just shrugs it off.

Siveon

Bot
If it is your first, maybe it is a sign the genre simply isn't for you. If you are a long-time fan, your own gut feeling is probably more accurate than other people's opinions.
That was insightful, though I don't consider myself to be either, I am at least familiar enough with the genre that many things about Tales of Symphonia do not surprise me.

I am a fan of such a "benchmark game" you labeled, called Legend of Dragoon, despite the fact that it was not the first JRPG I've played. It was one of the first, however. I do like later Tales, and some previous Tales games, so perhaps this particular title just plays an odd cord with me.

Severian Silk

I'm going to make a game named "Tales of Bards" and see who sends me a cease and desist letter first.

Symphonia's main problem for me is just how easy it is; not a single challenging battle so far and I don't even grind. Also, it's just really rudimentary in both its mechanics and its writing compared to something like Zestiria.

On an unrelated note, Presea's storyline really came out of the blue. It's unexpectedly creepy for a game like this.
A mind-controlled girl routinely taking care of her father, who's actually a dead, rotting, decomposing body, but she doesn't notice that.

I always thought it was challenging enough on hard. At least the side bosses were.

Symphonia does have some neat stuff, though. Did you know that if you equip Lloyd's thunder swords and use Tiger Blade, it becomes Lightning Tiger? That's pretty neat. And if you never swap out Lloyd's wooden swords for better equipment, it eventually unlocks a title with really good stat gain. Also if you manage to beat an 'unwinnable' fight early on, you get a L3 Ex. Gem that unlocks some great skills long before you can find one normally.

I find Symphonia's combat system really enjoyable and the game was good at rewarding you for playing it well. If nothing else I've always found it to be a pretty good time.

80Maxwell08

Arcane

Eh none of the characters really know what to do about it. I never really thought the writing was that good in the few Tales of games I played and a few of the characters straight up got on my nerves after reading a LP of the game much later. Lloyd's constant stupidity especially.
This isn't much of a spoiler but
Eventually something happens and snaps her right out of it and they bury her father. I don't think they wanted to touch him when she was still under mind control less she flips out about them trying to do something to her dad.
But it has been a while. Maybe I should fire up dolphin and give it another shot.

Crooked Bee

Patron
I don't think any Tales game has good writing either. However, if you compare Symphonia to Zestiria, the latter is just more all-around fleshed out. Skits are more numerous, imaginative and generally funnier; Symphonia's skits are mostly dull and bare-bones. Dialogue and characterization are generally more fleshed out in Zestiria too. Same for the combat/character development system, side quests, etc. Symphonia's writing and design feels like the devs were still learning the ropes.

One could argue some systems in Zestiria are needlessly overcomplicated (i.e. just added for the sake of being there but not really that useful or interesting), but Symphonia's by contrast are fairly primitive.

Also, regarding that plotline: yes, you bury him later. Still, the situation struck me as unexpectedly creepy in and of itself, even compared to the human farm and other plotlines. Perhaps a bit over the top so. And yeah, neither the characters - nor, I would say, the game's writers - knew what to do about it. In a way, this is a typical JRPG dissonance between dark motifs/plotlines and cheerful aesthetics/attitude, it's just that it can be less or, like in this case, more jarring.

Also if you manage to beat an 'unwinnable' fight early on, you get a L3 Ex. Gem that unlocks some great skills long before you can find one normally.

Yeah, that was a good fight. I beat it, but only barely and by burning through all my consumables.

Didn't know about the rest of the things you mentioned.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I only played Tales of Phantasia and liked it solely for the production values and kind of fun combat, in that it wasn't tedious.

Which Tales game do you recommend for me?

Crooked Bee

Patron
I actually only played two recently, Zestiria and Symphonia, since they're on PC. Of these two, I enjoyed Zestiria more; its combat was like you described, kind of fun and not tedious. Its plot and premise are generic as hell, though. I also played some other one whose name I forget a few years ago, plus watched LPs of Xillia 1 and 2. These looked like fun, esp Xillia 2 whose setting is kinda SMT-like - but unfortunately they're PS3 exclusive.

However, since I only played two titles in the entire series, I can't really say what Tales games are the best ones.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom