Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tales Of ... series - Vesperia out on Steam

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Phantasia's plot was unbelievably generic but the game was a technical marvel, a masterpiece. I think it was the most advanced Super Famicom game ever made.

That is a lie btw, Star Ocean.

Haven't played any Star Ocean games either. But man, that game was absolutely massive from what I read about it.

(Also not strictly speaking the most advanced, but hot damn, son.)

Last edited:

A user named cat

I only played Tales of Phantasia and liked it solely for the production values and kind of fun combat, in that it wasn't tedious.

Which Tales game do you recommend for me?
Tales of Destiny II for PS1 is still the best in the series, you wouldn't regret playing through it. Don't expect mature storytelling or characters though, it is what it is. The combat is so fun though and it's essentially an updated version of Phantasia. Some of the boss fights later on are pretty challenging. Graphics are worth noting too as it uses hand-drawn backgrounds, that's always a major plus.

If you've never played a Star Ocean game, skip the first and just play Second Story. One of my favorite JRPG's ever and one that I've replayed a number of times over the years. The very definition of a flawed masterpiece with lots of content and variety, and over 80 mini-endings to check out. Soundtrack is very good too.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture

Known this song since my childhood, always wanted to try the game it was from. (I know it is a remix.)

Thanks Phantasmal, that's great recommendations.

A user named cat

Tales of Destiny II for PS1
You mean Tales of Eternia. Let's not pull a Final Fantasy III here. :obviously:
No, I mean Tales of Destiny II as that is what it was called here and on the cover. Japan can keep their naming scheme in Japan.

SpZXdvf.jpg

If you've never played a Star Ocean game, skip the first and just play Second Story.
May I ask, why?
I'm not sure what kind of answer you're looking for other then it's simply a bigger, better game in basically all regards. It improved upon everything; from scope to length to combat to music. SO1 felt too much like a Phantasia clone and seriously dragged in the second half, never even finished it. The only downside to SO2 are the terrible combat voices but you become numb to them after a while, as long as you don't pick up Precis who you'll want to strangle within minutes. I tend to always avoid having kids in my parties in JRPGs as they're always horribly annoying. Made even worse when they use grown adult women to voice act them.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
No, I mean Tales of Destiny II as that is what it was called here and on the cover. Japan can keep their naming scheme in Japan.
There was a re-release on the PSP that kept the original name in America. As well as the fact there's already a real Tales of Destiny 2. Call it what you like, but it was a retarded marketing decision.
Tales_of_Eternia_psp.jpg

Tod2cover.jpg

I'm not sure what kind of answer you're looking for other then it's simply a bigger, better game in basically all regards.
I just thought it was just something specific. Thanks for responding, though.

A user named cat

There was a re-release on the PSP that kept the original name in America. As well as the fact there's already a real Tales of Destiny 2. Call it what you like, but it was a retarded marketing decision.
Tales_of_Eternia_psp.jpg

Tod2cover.jpg
Didn't know about the re-release. Checked some footage on Youtube. They really should've redid the voice acting, worst part of that game.

I'm not sure what kind of answer you're looking for other then it's simply a bigger, better game in basically all regards.
I just thought it was just something specific. Thanks for responding, though.
SO1 wasn't a bad game by any means, there's nothing I can really knock it for aside from what I already mentioned. Just felt too similar to Phantasia and derivative, nothing really stood out about it. If you've never played either SO, it's still worth a shot and one of the better translated JRPGs for SNES. I'd recommend quitting the series after Second Story though. Till the End of Time for PS2 is pretty terrible and railroaded, and the series got even worse after that. Anime influence is never a good thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Siveon

Bot
For some reason I played every Star Ocean game (except 2 :P) so I know how bad Till the End of Time can be, especially when I gave up halfway when my friend told me the end was seriously a
it was all a simulation bit.

Funny enough I was actually thinking about the PSP remake of Star Ocean 1 as well, so I was scratching my head when you mentioned that it was a clone of Phantasia. I knew about the SNES translation but I guess I just think of the remake now. It actually plays more like The Second Story and less like Phantasia which is pretty cool.

Didn't know about the re-release. Checked some footage on Youtube. They really should've redid the voice acting, worst part of that game.
The only difference is the forced ratio change and a bit of control fuckery. It's essentially a port.

A user named cat

For some reason I played every Star Ocean game (except 2 :P) so I know how bad Till the End of Time can be, especially when I gave up halfway when my friend told me the end was seriously a
it was all a simulation bit.

Funny enough I was actually thinking about the PSP remake of Star Ocean 1 as well, so I was scratching my head when you mentioned that it was a clone of Phantasia. I knew about the SNES translation but I guess I just think of the remake now. It actually plays more like The Second Story and less like Phantasia which is pretty cool.
Didn't know they changed the combat for the PSP port of SO1. I only knew they added in those cornball anime cutscenes for whatever reason. The original SNES version had basically the same combat style as SO2, so my reference to Phantasia wasn't exactly regarding that. It was pretty much the rest of the game that felt so familiar. Either way, give SO2 a play sometime. Just don't be put off by the first hour, it's a bit dull until it opens up after you leave the first village.

Siveon

Bot
I see, well I was going to give both a try on my PSP since I just installed it a week or so ago. The first was practically a remake to look more like 2, while 2 is more of an enhanced port. I'm waiting for a dry spell for when I finally tackle through it. I couldn't hear enough about SO2, so I'm looking forward to it. Shame about the rest, and the newest one just looks... yeah.

Tales of Berseria looks nice enough by comparison.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Star Ocean 1 (especially the PSP remake with its expanded story) is the only 'make your own party' JRPG I can think of where who you've selected for your party actually matters.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Really? Because from memory, you created your party in the early Final Fantasy games (and Tactics), as well as in the Fire Emblem series, and it did make a huge difference.

I meant having an impact on quests and the story for storyfag games. Who you decided to recruit in SO1 opens up different subplots, makes other characters join at different times, and can change the outcome of a couple of quests. In like, say, Suikoden and Chrono Cross even though your party could be dozens of different combinations they tended to still say the same generic lines and do the same stuff without having much of an effect on how things played out.

Dustin DePenning

Literate
I've historically been a fan of tales games. I like the combat. But can anyone explain why the dungeon design is so bad?

Also, have i grown up or have tales games gotten more boring? I tried zesteria and burned out in eight hours of play.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've historically been a fan of tales games. I like the combat. But can anyone explain why the dungeon design is so bad?

Also, have i grown up or have tales games gotten more boring? I tried zesteria and burned out in eight hours of play.
I think it's both because I feel the same.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

I've been playing that Symphonia Chronicles release recently on PS3 for the first time and people say it apparently has the best dungeons in the entire franchise, but I'm really not a fan. If they're even worse in modern games than god help anyone who plays them for that.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Watch it directly on YouTube, it seems it doesn't allow you to watch it off-site.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom