Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tales Of ... series - Vesperia out on Steam

Deleted member 7219

I hope it sells well because I think it will increase the chance of Ni No Kuni coming to PC. Same publisher.

Tabs

Novice
Finished Tales of Symphonia recently. Had it on Gamecube way back when, but played it now on Dolphin. The story was terrible but the combat grew on me.

ZoddGuts

Augur
The last good Tales game overall is Vesperia, the series has gone downhill since then. We might get a port of the Xbox 360 version to PC, sucks that the PS3 version will never come to the west.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Zestiria has been in Top 10 Steam bestsellers for several days already; that's pretty impressive for what's essentially a blind pre-order.

The IGN review makes it sound like the open world and the combat may be interesting, but the rest is pretty meh, including dungeons: http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/10/16/tales-of-zestiria-review Lots of backtracking in the late game, too.

Hopefully the customization really is good, since that's the main reason why I'm looking forward to the game.

Last edited:

Arkeus

Arcane
Zestiria has been in Top 10 Steam bestsellers for several days already; that's pretty impressive for what's essentially a blind pre-order.

The IGN review makes it sound like the open world and the combat may be interesting, but the rest is pretty meh, including dungeons: http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/10/16/tales-of-zestiria-review Lots of backtracking in the late game, too.
Mmmh, iirc IGN has a history of slamming Tales games as they are not the 'proper' kind of Jrpg. Hopefully they are wrong about the dungeons.
Hopefully the customization really is good, since that's the main reason why I'm looking forward to the game.
I have heard some pretty dire things about the customization being needlessly complicated but I have also heard people liking it. We'll see how it goes I guess.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, I've heard a lot of mixed things about this. The two most reoccurring negatives I've seen is that the dungeons are shit and that the story is fairly weak, especially the second half. Their stories have never been a strong point for the Tales of series, so as long as the characters are amusing enough I probably won't mind it. The battle-system and the characters are the two main reasons why I like the series as much as I do, so unless they really fucked up I can't really see this being a bad entry into the series.

Deleted member 7219

Yeah, I've heard a lot of mixed things about this. The two most reoccurring negatives I've seen is that the dungeons are shit and that the story is fairly weak, especially the second half. Their stories have never been a strong point for the Tales of series, so as long as the characters are amusing enough I probably won't mind it. The battle-system and the characters are the two main reasons why I like the series as much as I do, so unless they really fucked up I can't really see this being a bad entry into the series.

So it isn't just the IGN review saying the story is weak and the dungeons are shit. My interest in this game has now plummeted to zero.

I'm still interested in Tales of Symphonia though, might give that a go when it comes out on PC.

Malpercio

Arcane
Skill system is one of the worst I've played, I'm sorry.

PC version is worth pre-ordering for ToS alone anyway, which it's the best Tales of.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

PC version is worth pre-ordering for ToS alone anyway, which it's the best Tales of.
Pfft, Vesperia is way better. Besides, Tales of Symphonia will probably be released alone on steam anyway, just wait for a sale and you could get it for like 5 or 10 bucks. 50 dollars is just criminal.

Arkeus

Arcane
So it isn't just the IGN review saying the story is weak and the dungeons are shit. My interest in this game has now plummeted to zero.
Ehh, dungeons is less subjective (though I hadn't heard that particular complaint much before), but "story being shit" is something that I don't trust a lot of the people commenting about, mainly because those saying so also seem to like either Graces or Abyss' stories.
Really? Damn. Is it because of the Seraph System?
:?

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Zestiria's out now: http://store.steampowered.com/app/351970/

I've only had the time to play it briefly so far. It runs absolutely fine and stable, and controls well with an Xbox controller. No idea about KB + M, haven't even bothered trying. The only glitch I've seen is that lip movements are sometimes slightly off sync with the voices for me.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Crooked Bee How's the difficulty bonuses in this one?

Jaesun More info: Tales battle systems tend to be more on the fun side of things and should be played for that. Its filled with combos, special attacks and all that jazz.

Difficulty (aside from a few boss fights usually) doesn't take a high priority and can even be handled by the AI itself unless youre really underleveled or on the highest difficulties.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Zestiria's out now: http://store.steampowered.com/app/351970/

I've only had the time to play it briefly so far. It runs absolutely fine and stable, and controls well with an Xbox controller. No idea about KB + M, haven't even bothered trying. The only glitch I've seen is that lip movements are sometimes slightly off sync with the voices for me.

Pretty much my experience with it as well. The only problems I've had with it were sound related -- first the sound was really static-y with a lot of crackling and I had to go into my Sound Devices confirguation on Windows and turn my audio down from 32-bit to 24-bit; the second problem was there was no voices which I fixed by switching the audio in the game's settings from surround to stereo. Other than that, yeah, the game runs silky smooth for me on my 770 GTX.

The skill system does seem somewhat convoluted (I honestly preferred Graces simple and straightforward 'titles' system it used) but the battle system is great still, though I haven't managed to 'fuse' yet.

Arkeus

Arcane
Yes, it's really smooth here, and my computer has been dying for a while.

I actually quite like that for once you get less XP on harder difficulty. One of the most annoying thing in Graces was that higher difficulties gave you more of everything (including loot iirc) which just meant that after an hour of playing in a higher difficulty it went and became just as easy as the previous difficulty because you were over-geared/over-levelled.

The Seraph of the Lake amuses me so far in her faux-clumsy way, and Sorey seems to actually have gained subtlety by talking to her.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Crooked Bee How's the difficulty bonuses in this one?

Hard mode gives you less exp but better loot. Maybe something else I forget.

I've only played for a bit so I can't say how that works out in practice, except that, at first glance, given the way the game's fusion system works that does actually look like a more than fair trade-off. I may be wrong though.

Arkeus

Arcane
Hard mode gives you less exp but better loot. Maybe something else I forget.

I've only played for a bit so I can't say how that works out in practice, except that, at first glance, given the way the game's fusion system works that does actually look like a more than fair trade-off. I may be wrong though.
Yeah, the farther I go, and the more it feels like Loot > XP in this one, where your character levels really aren't an accurate assessment of your fighting strength.

Likewise, apparently not only do you get more loot, but higher grade of loot can only drop on higher difficulties (maybe you can buy them too though).

It also had the thing in Abyss/Grace (maybe others) where higher tiers of difficulty unlock when you play a lot on the highest difficulty you have. So playing 300 (random number out of my ass) on Hard would make 'Intense' unlock, and playing 300 on Intense would make Chaos unlock.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Thats basically how Valkyrie Profile worked, Hard mode wasn't actually very hard unless you were too retarded to find/use the superior weapons that were available.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Important DLC released

ss_ef1553ea7bd9225f1d76ee90409d5a988f4236d9.600x338.jpg

Tales of Zestiria - Seaside Resort Costumes Set $6.99

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom