Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tales Of ... series - Vesperia out on Steam

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Is it any good? I was under the impression that it got worse reception than your average Tales game?

Emmanuel2

Savant
Is it any good? I was under the impression that it got worse reception than your average Tales game?

Coming from a (relatively) newcomer to the tales series, I'd say that it's either a hit or miss and as for me, it was a sure hit.

That said, I disliked most of the 3D ones, which are basically the non-X360/PS3/Vita exclusives, and Zestiria is the only one I tolerated and actually loved to play.

Hyperion

Arcane
The new camera angle in battle absolutely killed the series imo. The earlier games were exciting because you needed awareness of the whole battlefield, and could switch characters on the fly to get off a proper spell-cancel (whatever they were called) or to avoid an AoE when the AI got a little stupid. Now it just feels like slamming the attack button like every other generic action game. Even worse, I think they removed MP and made all skills cooldown based. Feel free to correct me on that, though.

Best in the series is pretty much agreed to be either Vesperia or Abyss, with Vesperia in the lead from what I've seen. I personally prefer the latter. Felt Vesperia starts to really slog right about when Raven is revealed as an enemy general.

Last one I tried was Tales of Graces f. I lasted about 20 minutes before I drove back to Gamestop and returned it. The clerk was a bit annoyed when I told him it was garbage. The plots and settings are really getting sickeningly sweet with their friendship triumphs all horseshit. But, it's to be expected in this age.

Emmanuel2

Savant
I think they removed MP and made all skills cooldown based

They didn't, none of the skills were on cooldown but it had a resource (SC) and I think you were referring to item use which had a long cooldown.

As for Zestiria, playing on Hard+ was rewarding, each martial arte chain had their use as a launcher, debuff, poke, spacing, element, etc. and can be freely substituted with hidden artes whereas in the other games it devolved into whatever is faster and stronger. Bosses cannot be infinitely stunlocked without armatization due to cancels being limited to a resource but playing good means that you get to have more of it. Equipment/Skill system is complex that it pretty much became a massive downside for alot of people. I also had no issue with the camera.

For those reasons alone, it's a hit or miss for most of the fans. If you like watching your character pull a 64-hit combo with just 5 simple button pushes without the actual thought of positioning, tech chases, cancels outside of the passive skills and generally just like it where everything goes well for you then play whatever popular 3D tales game. If you like actually working for your things, Zestiria may be your thing. My heart still belongs to the 2D Tales series where NDX and Destiny DC being my most loved.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I saw that earlier and put it on my wishlist. Not sure if I'll go PC or PS4, but it's not a day one purchase.

Perkel

Arcane
Huh Tales of...

Is it actually a good game ?. From games i tried almost all of them were cingeworthy otaku games with hardly any journey or story that actually is good and worth remembering.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I liked Vesperia, but that's about it. I haven't played much of the first two games but they seemed alright.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Graces f has a bad story. Xillia was a decent time waster. haven't played anything newer than that in the series. Vesperia was my favorite and it seems like Berseria is the best since Vesperia, at least from impressions I have read.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
lmao playing tales for the story.

but they're generally good to great action RPG.

just please, turn off your brain and cringe sensor when somebody talk

Emmanuel2

Savant
Huh Tales of...

Is it actually a good game ?. From games i tried almost all of them were cingeworthy otaku games with hardly any journey or story that actually is good and worth remembering.

lmao playing tales for the story.

but they're generally good to great action RPG.

just please, turn off your brain and cringe sensor when somebody talk

Basically what Hobo said.

You'd have a ton of fun trying to figure out the underlying slew of mechanics that an average player won't have to use nor find and how it'll work out for your Solo Unknown/Mania runs then after that you'll find the wonderful combo world full of the complementary glitches, cancels, etc. (example), though I guess this would only appeal and be revealed to powergamers, style players, and/or the masochists. Also 2D Tales > 3D Tales, though not alot share this opinion.

Emmanuel2

Savant
Also 2D Tales > 3D Tales, though not alot share this opinion.
i always want to try tales of hearts R, but i dont really wanna buy a vitanic

Me too since the devs are also the ones who made NDX (my favourite of the 2D series) so I won't have to worry about the combat being insultingly easy or simple but it's hard justifying a Vita purchase for just 3-4 games.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
If you don't care about the portability aspect of the Vita then you can pick up a PS TV for really cheap these days. I've been thinking of getting one for P4: Golden and a few other games.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Demo for PC and PS4 coming on January 10: http://blog.talesofgame.com/en/preorders-english-footage-demo-and-more/

Dear Tales of fans,

Today, we have A LOT of news to share with you! The western release of Tales of Berseria is drawing near and the hype is hard to contain!

First and foremost, you can now preorder the game on STEAM! Check it out, preorder or add it to your wishlist and join the discussions on the forums with other fans. There are, of course, bonuses for preordering the game on STEAM:
  • If you own Tales of Symphonia or Tales of Zestiria on STEAM, you will get a 10% discount on Tales of Berseria
  • By preordering the game, you will unlock a 15 minute Skit Video (available outside of the game on STEAM)
And yes, it will support 60 FPS ;)

PS4 fans, we haven’t forgotten you! The PlayStation Store page will be opening very soon so stay tuned to @TalesofU on Twitter: we will notify you as soon as it’s available! However we can already tell you what you will get for preordering the game on PS4:
  • An exclusive theme featuring the characters of Tales of Berseria
  • A 15 minute Skit Video
  • 3 soundtracks from the game
That’s not all! We are thrilled to confirm that a demo will be available for both STEAM and PS4 on January 10th!

And before we go, many of you have been asking for footage of the English voice-over for a long time. Without further ado, enjoy cutscenes from the beginning of the game in English, recorded on the PC version. WARNING: this video contains spoilers, watch at your own risk!

Reinhardt

Arcane
  • If you own Tales of Symphonia or Tales of Zestiria on STEAM, you will get a 10% discount on Tales of Berseria
And if both?

Gerrard

Arcane
Demo for PC
duTI8VT.jpg

What year is this? Have I time slipped?

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I just really hope the system requirements aren't much higher than what they were for Zestiria, which was a fairly well optimized game. Regardless, I've been looking forward to this -- people I know who hated ToZ like I did and got the Japanese version of this have said it's much better.

EDIT: I'm a retard, just realized the Steam page has the system requirements and recommendations. They seem pretty modest.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
A statement regarding the "censorship": https://www.facebook.com/tales/posts/1487389204623949

Yeah, it's due to the ratings. They say it's the only change and everything else is the same with the Japanese version.

Dear Tales of Community,

We read about your concerns regarding some changes between the Japanese and the Western versions of Tales of Berseria, the next game from the Tales Of series to be released on January 27th 2017 on Playstation 4 and PC.

In the western game footage released on December 8th (https://youtu.be/TLbdbwjtxZ8), you discovered a scene that has been reworked compared to the original Japanese game.

As a company, Bandai Namco Entertainment has to follow the regional regulations regarding video games content to allow the games to be released with appropriate rating. The violence depicted in the original Japanese scene in Tales of Berseria would not allow us to keep our current 16 rating. A major change in our rating wouldn’t have allowed to share the game with as many fans as we’d like and it would have prevented us many opportunities to show the game on social networks, websites and even during events. Therefore, instead of deleting the sequence, we decided to rework a portion of the scene to keep its importance in the story. We’ve ensured its impact in the story is the same. Even if the exact actions are different, their consequences are exactly the same: the defining moment changing Velvet’s Story and opposing her to Arthur Collbrande, the moment it becomes a tale of emotions versus reason. We made this modification out of necessity, be sure of that.

You may have read in an interview that we had promised not to censor the game in the West. The statement applied only to the Velvet’s outfit at the time, and we did our best to keep the game as close to the Japanese version as possible.

This is the only scene which has been altered from the Japanese version of the game. Everything else is exactly the same as the Japanese version including costume designs which you will be able to see for yourself once we release the demo on January 10th.

Gerrard

Arcane
Are you implying that this game is rated M in the US?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom