Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Talisman: Digital Edition is a lot of fun - when it works

Eyeball

Arcane
I've been messing around with the PC version of the old board game Talisman and I gotta admit it's a lot of fun.

For those not in the know, Talisman is a fairly simplistic 2-6 player board game originally released in the 80ies about questing for an enchanted crown located at the centre of the board. Each player picks an RPG-staple character to serve as their playing piece, warrior, priest, thief, troll and so on, each character having varying stats and special abilities, and then roll dice to move around the game board.
talisman-digital-edition.jpg

As you can see in the above picture, the gaming board is divided into 3 rings, the outer and middle ring seperated by a river and the middle and inner ring by a mountain range. All players start in the outer ring and need to work themselves to the center of the board to claim the Crown of Command and win the game.

Each square contains either a special feature (shops, temples, inns, crypts and so on) or generic fields/woods/hills where you need to draw a card from the adventure deck, depicting either a monster, treasure or special event which you will then have to deal with. The closer you are to the inner ring of the board, the more dangerous the encounters will be, so all players will need to power up their characters before attempting to approach the inner region and claim the Crown.

This is where the "RPG" part comes into play - each character has 4 statistics: strength (used for fighting monsters), craft (used for fighting spirits and demons), fate (your rerolls) and life, with the starting values varying per character. Each stat can be raised by gathering magical items or treasures or by killing monsters, so Talisman's early game takes on an interestingly "grindy" nature where all the players try to strengthen their characters while hindering the other players from becoming stronger through adventuring, theft, magic or battle. The stat system works well, is easy to understand and gives a clear goal of what you need to do in order to progress in the game.

Battle is carried out via dice rolls. You and your opponent take your strength score and add it to a roll of D6 plus magic weapon bonuses and soforth. Whoever has the highest score wins and gets to either take an item or deduct a life point from an enemy player or have a chance of increasing their stats if they killed a sufficiently powerful monster. Although very simplistic, the model works well and battles are resolved quickly, making even 4 player games progress very smoothly without having to spend much time waiting for the other players.

screenshot_pc_talisman_digital_edition002.jpg

Keep in mind though, Talisman is a game that likes to troll you. Spells can nerf your carefully powerleveled character, rare events can kill you outright and bad dice rolls can really screw you over, but it's great to play online for that reason. The dickiest and most cunning player has a great advantage over less ruthless players, but Talisman is still a very dice-heavy game which also requires a lot of luck in drawing the right cards and spells, making strategy often take a back-seat to rollplaying.

Although I love the board game, I am frankly not sure I can recommend the digital version of Talisman. The game itself is a lot of fun due to the aforementioned "haha fuck you!" factor that a lot of the cards introduce, the game looks pretty and the interface is servicable enough.

But at its current stage of development and bugfixing, it is simply too unstable to play online consistently, with as many as half my multiplayer games ending in a server crash or DC and there being no way to log back onto games discontinued for that reason. It is also quite pricey, with a 14 euro price tag for the base game and a SHITLOAD of DLC adding more characters and cards. You can buy a "season pass" for about 47 euros, but seriously, that is excessive for a board game port.

I suggest picking it up at 50% off sometime in the not-too-distant future. It will absolutely be worth it by then, as they've hopefully ironed out most of the connection issues by then and added some more fun expansion packs, as the addition of more characters really makes the game a lot more fun.

So if you like fantasy competitive board games, don't like being boggled down in lots of complicated stats and want something easily accessible for all, I can absolutely recommend you pick up Talisman DE.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
It does look interesting indeed and I always liked the idea of playing board games online with people all over the world. But the price is definitely a bit steep and while I might pick it up once it goes on sale as you suggest, I still wonder if there will actually be enough players by then. If anything you'd need a few online friends who bought the game either to play with, I guess.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'll wait for the 50% off to buy, this seems very interesting for a quick pick and play.

You haven't even taken your next turn in Hero Academy yet and are already thinking about buying a full fledged board game. Iren, Iren, where will this lead.

Self-Ejected

Yuri Gagarin

Self-Ejected
This game has been on my Wish List for a while, but I don't know, it seems too intentionally bare bones and buggy. I love my board games, even in digital form. As several posters in this thread, I'm going to wait for a good sale and snatch a bunch of DLCs.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So the game is discounted to $1.49, but the gold edition with all DLC is $31.99 :O

Multi-headed Cow

So the game is discounted to $1.49, but the gold edition with all DLC is $31.99 :O
That includes all future DLC, future DLC being all 50 expansions the tabletop game has (Or until they run out of money and close down). Currently they've released 3 of the expansions and are knocking out a new one roughly every 4 months IIRC.

Edit: Oh yeah, and one thing worth mentioning, only the game host has to have the expansions. So if you've got a regular team of bros who you'd play Talisman with, only one of you would need/want the season pass and the rest can just scoop up dollar clients. Can't remember if they get access to the new adventurers in the expansion or not (I do know they don't get access to the one-off heroes added from magazines and shit) but other than that there shouldn't be an issue.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That includes all future DLC, future DLC being all 50 expansions the tabletop game has (Or until they run out of money and close down). Currently they've released 3 of the expansions and are knocking out a new one roughly every 4 months IIRC.

Edit: Oh yeah, and one thing worth mentioning, only the game host has to have the expansions. So if you've got a regular team of bros who you'd play Talisman with, only one of you would need/want the season pass and the rest can just scoop up dollar clients. Can't remember if they get access to the new adventurers in the expansion or not (I do know they don't get access to the one-off heroes added from magazines and shit) but other than that there shouldn't be an issue.
Great info. Do the character packs add anything or are they just sprites?

I thinking I might do 4pack + some dlc (don't want to commit to gold until I see how the game plays).

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's a fun game though I only played the offline/single player version. Nothing I'd see myself playing consistently. If I get any type of board game it'll be the Witcher Adventure game.

tuluse

Arcane
It's a fun game though I only played the offline/single player version. Nothing I'd see myself playing consistently. If I get any type of board game it'll be the Witcher Adventure game.
I'm in the beta for this, it's actually really boring. The players don't really interact much. You're just racing against them to get enough points.

Multi-headed Cow

Great info. Do the character packs add anything or are they just sprites?

I thinking I might do 4pack + some dlc (don't want to commit to gold until I see how the game plays).
The characters do add to the game and aren't cosmetic. The only piece of DLC that's shameful is http://store.steampowered.com/app/258812/ that, the "Runestone deck". Runestones are a thing added to the digital game only which are basically super powers and buffs and shit you can add to your dude at the start of the game, and you can unlock them normally through play. If you want the pure tabletop experience you can (And I do) disable runestones anyway since they're a computer only thing, but you can use 'em if you want a faster game where everyone starts stronger.

The characters though do vary relatively wildly in power. Talisman is pretty safely what's called an ameritrash boardgame since it's all about rolling dice and wild swings of luck, and the characters themselves aren't finely balanced. In fact the game has "House rules" which let you tweak the game for non-standard but common practices like instead of picking your character at the start of the game, you draw 3 random characters and have to pick one. Stops people from always just grabbing the best guys.

As an example, here's one of the DLC characters which is OP as fuck.
http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/s...3e1970bec2b8efd21f57bec35eb5.jpg?t=1406309842
Her stats are normal for a Talisman character (Base stats are usually fairly balanced) but her abilities are useful as hell. Her two dice for movement is pretty huge since it gives her more options every turn, and natural spell resistance is a pretty big deal too. Starting off with a spell is the cherry on the cake.

By comparison, here's a more "Normal" DLC character.
http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/s...6c71f5f7b1df31c614f6785dda3a.jpg?t=1416412545
You can see his stats aren't as even as the witch but in Talisman terms he's still fairly balanced, he just favors craft over strength. His abilities can be useful but nothing earth-shattering. Instantly destroying a spirit sounds awesome up front, but a large part of Talisman is beating monsters which you then take as "Trophies" which can be exchanged to increase stats. Blasting a spirit with his ability doesn't give him a trophy for it which means it can save his ass if he lands on some huge spirit card like a demon he likely couldn't defeat, but you don't want to use it constantly since you'll never get trophies and won't be "leveling up" as much.

And yes, Witcher adventure game's pretty shit compared to Talisman.

And I'll edit this post too while I'm at it: The AI's tolerable in Talisman too. It's not particularly good and it doesn't make a dash for the crown of command (The end goal of the game) as soon as it probably should, but it's ok to pad out a game.
If you just want to pick up an expansion or two before/instead of the season pass for DLC I'd recommend Frostmarch and Reaper over Dungeon. Frostmarch is pretty much just a straight up card expansion. More loot, more spells, more enemies, etc. Reaper is a card expansion and adds the Grim Reaper piece to the board, which players can occasionally move around and fuck other players with. The dungeon expansion primarily adds a mini-board in one of the corners which is the dungeon your dudes can run around in. It's not really important since the goal is still the crown of command, just kinda provides an alternate location to try to advance your dude. The other two are more useful since they add more shit to the game at the most basic level.

Last edited by a moderator:

Multi-headed Cow

Multi-headed Cow

:salute: thanks for the write up. Gonna grab all the 80% off DLCs and a 4-pack. Figure the rest out later.
Just while I'm spamming this shit at you, if you play some MP with bros don't panic when it doesn't look like there's a "Save and quit" option anywhere. Even though the game is (Mostly) fine in MP (Had the occasional weird issue when I played MP with Brut) the interface for saving/loading the games is kinda clunky and unintuitive. IIRC you just quit an MP game like normal, then your host goes to the multiplayer button next time you wanna play, and then in there there should be a continue button or something. That'll dump him in the game lobby whatsit and then everyone else can be invited/join via Steam community multiplayer shits. Little wonky but it works.

I'd also recommend setting the turn/action timer to the max length if you're playing with people you know, since some people will wanna spend time reading cards and/or looking back at their character sheet/spells and deciding what they wanna do. When I was playing with Brut we hit the default action time limit a few times.

Anyone still playing this? With a trillion expansions this is actually kind of cool. I've played a lot of RL Talisman and matches take forever plus it's a fucking chore juggling all those tiny cards, but this is much handier.

Hit me up if you'd like to play a match online.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom