Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Talisman - which expansion should I get?

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I just ordered a combo of Talisman base game + The Reaper expansion. I got a few more bucks to spare and I really like this game (although I only played the digital edition so far), so I thought to myself, why not buy another expansion or two?

So here's the deal - I only have funds to buy two smaller expansions or one big (corner-piece) expansion. I was thinking of getting The City as it gives the players something to do with their money, but those smaller expansions also appeal to me as they add a lot of new adventure cards and spells you can mix with your base game and spice it up (perhaps Blood Moon and Sacred Pool?).

Please Codex, help me make up my mind.

PS: The Dungeon is unfortunately out of the question as it's no longer available in Potato.

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
@Xa I did. There was only one offer some time ago and it was priced at ~350 PLN. I don't think I want it that much ;) .

In the end I think I'll choose The City, but I'm still thinking about those smaller expansions. Maybe I'll squeeze my wallet some more and buy one of thos alongside TC. Do you have any experience with those?

Edit: I did some searching and it seems that PL version of The Dungeon will be reprinted by the end of April! Now I'm torn between that one and The City.

Last edited:

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
I only played the core set of Talisman and liked it immensly. I did read tons of reviews of expansions and watched a few vids from gameplays on YT. The Dragon intrigues me the most, as it seems to be extremly cool.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
@barker_s

I only recommend big expansions (with additional boards) if you regularly play with three or more people. Even then you probably will not be playing with more than one additional board at a time, because that makes the game rather pointless (unless it is a 6+ player all-night marathon). Talisman is heavily focused on PVP in design and allowing players to disperse into separate corners of the world and never actually meet is going against the spirit of the game. (Although I admit to spending dozens of fun hours playing the game like this.)

Dungeon is pretty cool, with the cards a good balance of difficult and rewarding. It should get reprinted by Galakta at some point, so do not overspend on allegro for it.

Highlands is good too, makes the game a bit easier overall.

City, I do not like, because it features some game-breaking cards that are not hard to obtain (for gold), especially if you play with Highlands too (Highlands is a great source for gold).

Woodland is really nice, and expands the Fate mechanic in a good way. It has a good theme and is not game-breaking, I like it a lot.

The Dragon changes the main game quite a lot, for better or worse. Get it only if the standard variant becomes stale for you, but you still are not bored of the game overall.

As for the small expansions:

Reaper is the best, essential I would say. To the point, I would call it 'DLC cut from the main game'. ;)

Frostmarch is ok, but nothing special, makes the game a bit easier, with some weak enemies and such.

Sacred Pool is good, has a good set of additional cards, including Quest Rewards.

I cannot comment on Blood Moon and Firelands. I own these, but have not played with them enough to make an opinon.

---------------

My main advice for Talisman palyers is to start using alternate endings as fast as possible. The standard endgame of rolling 4+ on your turn is very dull and gets old fast. Other endings keep the game fresh with altering goals and actual excitement of discovery (using hidden endings).

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
By far I most enjoyed the Timescape expansion (2nd edition). City and Dungeon were cool too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom