Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Tangiers - A stealth horror game

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1841885340/tangiers-surrealist-stealth/
Steam Greenlight: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=166940940

I couldn't find a thread for this game (do we have one?) so I'm posting here instead. Andalusian just released a new trailer for their successfully kickstarted weird-as-fuck 3rd person stealth title, Tangiers, and I want to play this so hard. Developers say they took huge inspiration from Thief 1 and 2 as far as gameplay goes and knowing them, I doubt they tell bullshit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Character animations need a little work, but otherwise that is looking VERY NICE indeed.

And who said audio cassettes were dead?

Animal

Savant
Shitposter
The characters look like stick figures.

And a cassete for a head? I think I'd need to smoke stuff to play this.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ending up in trouble.
Posted by Alex Harvey
Hoped to get this update out sooner, but cursed that I am, my laptop fan burnt out at the start of the week.

Current status following on from the previous post is unfortunate at best.
I'll be as transparent as possible in covering everything, but if you have any queries or want clarification I'll be happy to answer them in the comments.

Yguya8ArKlKxVITpt9HqkJvXnJfQj9BSBE1dPt0K1CX1YIBmXujkl68luzdBkm82ZBI8P0yMqHaONrpskC8WpKMcVm2zna3_eOOC8cTpOJvaQJH5iAFUbuJqx6u8jcGMCGJtor0H7pgWreYln3FgHPOMMsjaCjmgMxAiB3haA4Flh25prBQWlmFevKXxztFnbaFX-gsTrc8SXizIQhngAT0BMEJ0vQLpkONXoAqS0d2UUEUYtPS7MM8R-oivdILhZaqkviCBSWmS=s0-d-e1-ft

More Troubles
The last update covered our prior issues. With the game having seen delay, near the start of the year we secured an investment of additional funding. That wasn't so secure and fell through, but we had a solution in place and all was to be good!

A replacement to our bailed funds was due to come in shortly after that post. Everything signed off, paperwork in place. Ready to come out of the cold and tie things up, drop a solid Beta and plough on through to retail launch.

Deja vu strikes. After countless hours and sleepless nights hammering out the agreement, putting together the requisite documents, projections, long term plans and keeping everythingwatertight on our camp, it goes askew from the other end.

We're told that in spite of prior agreement, only 20% of what we're due will be made available to us. They had less to hand due to previous commitments not coming to light and the weight of that fell straight on us.

Not very good at all.

With regards to precisely how this affects our journey to beta and then retail, it hits us on two fronts.

Concerning day to day production, we've got just enough to scrape by through to release. But we've already kept our belts drawn several notches too tight in order to make the recovery leap from failed funding to replacement funding. To see release in the current circumstances would involve forcing the team to tighten further and to take an income that barely scratches minimum subsistence levels. Grossly unethical from a business perspective. And from a development & creative angle, a team struggling to make ends meet is going to struggle to finish their product with the expected standards of quality and flare.

Past the day to day, we've got the squeeze of covering auxiliary elements. The challenge of figuring out how to cover music, voice acting and writing. Can work on the game in it's absence, but complete or tie things up without it.

Both these problems result in things moving extremely slowly for us right now. Can't move things forwards with much energy while the first issue is looming over us; can't manage production efficiently while the second is acting as a logjam. And trying to rectify the situation is, in itself, extremely time consuming.

MVTuj_EtCNi_4Kdan4a5PZb5soG75rKPC6kx_y3yNYfyTYszKxKx8YZqnPkmDx3iizvzm85PzevCDbtTIBuvV1nXOUEeqxujs-9fJXzbn8qygHfCYGZhO7NyRWwrIz8Zo1YHf6RPlFSjMFan4yQKT_TVfmc2xpRgQjR8aVDvX6WTcxOqfeyeYZIT9TG7fpm2oLE3vFhVbwfPGLLt2z2g0l5I8owbPqGEueweW0iXu6JmYbpKCKLt1811V_46v-z1zTI-wHjnRwQu=s0-d-e1-ft

Beta
As you all are well aware, Beta was due around now. Situation with it is broadly the same as it was at the time of the last update. Hanging on for completed voice over and music, then following a brief but concentrated testing effort we're good to launch.

This keeps happening because our aforementioned troubles have kept us in a limbo. Once we've got resources in place, we can climb out of that and be approximately three weeks away from launching Beta. We just need to get that locked down.

In the interim, I've got some gameplay footage that I'll be sharing in the next week or so.

8qZlTamruO1huDReqUEPBL8yK7ed2q1rvElxuaq3gztE2-x8eK27q8xYh25f9GhG6Y1LaLKXRYIVz1n2Xay2ti5Py3E9hxdkhXSdd1wthpduR71srTBU-1pvvgYykRw2qyvEobbg1sG8bdXX2JjUFZk3Lw276rnUjfYyKiy7lVRi_hSKahz9n1y-kMXLvqDKg9eOBHqxDPKdDFhcmSsHMG5_CyJLX8lJ4-uuIwDwQFEMcNhHbXDBpDBWewbEQ6BEDgq0VuWqfAAi=s0-d-e1-ft

To Round Up...
We're in a bad position right now. I've done everything within my means to avoid this, tried to follow best practice and keep everything stable. Despite this though, external forces have left us where we are.

But all said, I still hold the ultimate responsibility for whatever happens with the project. We've made a commitment and a promise to 2,000 plus backers that we'll deliver something wonderful, and I don't consider failing to be a viable option.
There are still potential avenues and over the next fortnight I will be pursuing them fervently.

While Tangiers is not quite complete, it is unique, it stands out from the crowd and what we've shown so far has been well received. It is almost a very good game indeed. Things are fragile right this minute, but we're holding something special and valuable in our hands.
As such, I'm almost certain that we can find a route forwards to success. I'll be returning in two weeks to update on the matter, but in the meantime feel free to ask any questions in the comments.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Seems to be going from :negative:to :mixedemotions: to :dealwithit:.
Posted by Alex Harvey (Creator)
Summarizing things
We'll start off the update with a summary of things.
We're still moving forwards with development. Plans that were in place for a quick turnaround on the last update didn't go through as planned, but we haven't stopped working on pulling the project back together.
We are, right now, just about on the cusp of everything coming together. Hopefully. Whether things do or do not come together, we're moving to ensure that we get Tangiers in people's hands by the end of Summer at the latest.

As for the dearth of communications since the last update, the only thing I can put that down to is my own weaknesses.
It turns out that the strain and stress of working very long hours on the project daily without any real income or stability is something that causes all kinds of fun health problems, problems that can be quite disruptive against putting focus into being public facing.
It's been a challenge to keep myself together over the past few months, and while this isn't an acceptable excuse by any means it's the best I can tangibly offer. I'm deeply, deeply sorry for the consistent let downs here, but we have got some breathing room now so from here on I'm putting extra priority to forward facing work.

am--ISuUViKd5UZUj4EvY6QGcTTT4H7bxwHie6tzqUMcU79pZPArRmj4Kf9JL0jJL9qT9h-gN4vNZfyzKBj3VDPKpc6udyHGAGl-ei6g7hLXsgZ1nZmj17xoLuCYiA4ksxyW9QE2975MaVwGCDdaWQ51LO7cAQektwAFHzjMljLLoKutxWIt6s6vvicXwUpsnleZGa2bv2pkzxCTR6gSTPGxaP7m67wR5KAaXVbMSp87rUYktNMzk4yJhA-JUDyesLM6Mu57naO3=s0-d-e1-ft

Contingencies falling apart
On the last update, I had a recovery plan in place that would let us take a fast turnaround towards recovering the investment that didn't come to light.

The contingency plan involved a little bit of money that was coming through alongside a few arrangements that would keep things stable enough to put in a two month burst of energy and full focus across the team.
Things are always fragile when you've not got much to work with, and after a few arrangements falling through and some wildcards materializing, our contingency ceased to be viable.

As a result of that, much of the team has had to temporarily turn attentions towards their own sustenance - taking up contract work and the like.

Rather than turn the lights off at the face of our recovery plan falling through, I've been living off of what scraps I can and have continued to stay focused full time on pulling things back in line with Tangiers.

This brings us to where we are now.
By the end of the weekend, we'll have hit the point we had intended to quickly reach after the last update.

In most respects, the game is fully and robustly functional, and we've got a good quantity and cross section of content to demonstrate. I've got a number of funding and publisher opportunities arranged that I will be pursuing over the next three weeks. If our work pays off, then these will give us the means to go back into full production and quickly begin to deliver concrete results.

With the game in a broadly comfortable state, at some point over the next three weeks I intend to stream some gameplay sessions. There's a pretty tight schedule ahead of me so I'm not sure when exactly, but I'll share the time and date of this in advance through an interim update.

There's also some bits of gameplay footage that I've captured but need to edit together. I was hoping to have that in time for this post but can't really afford to keep people waiting any longer. Will be distributing that at first opportunity, probably around the time of streams.

RkwAGED7wKQbVbF4d_PW-HMd7uWmH8NuHKq_nxDdOoh9MF8F3wN7RBYENO83YSCLIcyYmS5d5OLAPMcsYXCOQY8eAbtZ5UvemFDqKkNQS6punq72OY27FFrpoAYqzNQIAAyzhO-CiPmh2VsmLjE8MysA-sRDjBcZ4jz4KV9CyX2Z0QsroxNVmSrdvOWlMTkcrMjNmmBLXjcG8Td5Uihoi91vv_eBw5HjkN-BXlsQoYWbYKCpgmmjIjv_YA0eJWebnp2sVd4uSVpO=s0-d-e1-ft

Current status
With features locked in scope since the last update, I've spent the past months working on completing and honing what we've got on the backend.

As a result, things are very positive on the tech front. Vast majority of features and architecture are in a position where they're ready for public consumption. Some fine tuning, a few bugs to find, but for the most part the backend is ready to go. Our architecture is stable, fairly well optimized and very close to completion.

I've put together an itinerary of backend progress. Green denotes areas that are good to go, yellow areas that need a little more work. Anything else is deferred until post-beta. Note that this is edited for accessibility so isn't a one for one representation of code architecture. Also note that the completion percentages aren't on a linear scale between components - some areas require a couple of days work, others an hour or two. All in all, I'm looking at 5 final weeks of focused work to get this 100% ready for release.

From our itinity, our primary area of backend focus is the interlocking pairing of AI and Animation. Finalizing this area is dependent on animation, so accordingly productive progress is effectively funding locked. In the interim, I will be blitzing through the other areas.

Then there's the backend. With regards to beta roadmap, not too much has changed. We've got one remaining mission that needs polishing off, and another that needs bringing out of prototype. After that, we've got full voice sets to finish recording, followed by a handful of remaining audio tracks.

UcHHsKa7DW1E6rByh7GM5Jo_BObUkPmpLjQiCqosokxoNNT93OHfkPitpv4JQHlMA3SyhG_63zabuEKVADfTJ5v2Fa5vuR8VuivDiqtyse6gzcvVzJOGYBnnGVJLTWbkvJyccvrmU4dxdI8zEDjn65K1vn-hWAFwrGnUSuMZGoC4iwyVkUttXEwS48WZOUlVVzJ4FcrZsNgiq4fqU5BNdwD1zBUqiv5QWXRnmhXRLtkuSYTJKY4hZmn_zx-JGxx-KbSOqrHyGWXt=s0-d-e1-ft

If things don't proceed as planned
We've made plenty progress, but there's still the risk that the next three weeks will fail to bear fruit.

If we do find ourselves in such a situation, I've no intention of pulling the plug on things - I'm committed to seeing things through and delivering to our backers. We've soldiered through enough so far that I can't really consider any other alternative.

The broad contingency for making sure we can release would involve taking a month or so out to raise funds through external work and similar. This will cover remaining third party needs and enough sustenance to see us through to Steam's Early Access.

Within Early Access, we'll have low enough remaining overheads that even a tiny quantity of sales will be enough to keep the lights on and see the game through to completion. The release pattern for this would be to release the game iteratively through a total of three quasi-episodic "acts".

To get to Early Access with reduced funds we would have to reduce scope by some amount. I would focus our work, stripping things down to the most effective elements while maintaining the gist of what we wish to do with Tangiers.

If we do have to take this route, I'd make sure that we do so with as much backer-consent as possible. If that is the case, then I will make sure that the first possible chance to update contains a discussion of proposed component removals with room for backer feedback.

Ideally, that's not a road we have to go down, but if worst comes to the worst then it's a better option than dragging things out indefinitely or to cancelling things entirely. Have to keep things afloat and have to keep working with what we've got.

8HwdAla22g8jVQGSdBvH05J9Ou16AAAqbRWiLDGbc8oIA2tEioOJVYwnRT20bU-t0P8QWhNGg0UYbQsLJuHHC_mLgcJ7wlLCHVYhPJzqkRZ6NLbk1DpsM7r1xRc1Hch32xxDWPN5rU1zAt_GRq06Cw_apHDY8DvNLMm-_VGQ6gCPzY_BNRovxK02FDf_Xqrmj1ic3DPeKi5PbfQE-FYI5YHlic7wSZ4_2TJFVlWbdWpwKoccOx2o0LjOv8UVleQUEQndK8OXqQ0q=s0-d-e1-ft

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Vaporware report: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1841885340/tangiers-surrealist-stealth/posts/1784821

Entering 2017
e521fcb80c936f0c8321acea5a500d3f_original.png

This is just going to be a brief update to step back into things.

Work is still underway on the project. I regret & apologise for the dearth of updates, information, communifcation and presence. I have been very unwell for, well, most of the past year, really.

I'll skip on a sob story and finer details, but the stress of pulling the project back together, getting by with minimal funds and of some very difficult life challenges ontop of that led to, for all practicalities, a very prolongued breakdown. I've not been able to maintain much functionality, and accordingly I've been doing a rancid job of everything.

But it's a new year now, so that makes a good a time as any to try and rectify things.

ecaab0de226bb536ef17a768eb878c55_original.png

I haven't let go of working on the game, though things have moved very slowly indeed. I have got a bit of breathing room now, and we can get to moving things forward a bit more competently.

I've put together a quick video. This isn't a trailer, just a very rough proof of existance. I put it together quickly for this just to give a little montage of some curiosities that have recently made it into the game.

(Sorry for this OneDrive link, Kickstarter wasn't uploading so couldn't embed)

Holistically, the project is close to where it was the prior update. We've crept forwards in quite a few minor areas, but the focal points moving forwards are still sourcing funding and finalizing our animation, audio, world & AI systems.

While I work on finalizing funding to cover needs locked down by that (as discussed previously), I'm about to turn my own production focus toward the AI finalization.

Work here is going to see us move existing logic & behaviour into a more robust framework, expand our archetypes and get the AI component of the game ready to ship. All things considered, I expect this to take 4-5 weeks to complete, though I'm going to step in with an interim update to cover specific progress and to go over how things are working.

Long (or mid) term, once the AI is done we'll be ready to start tieing off loose ends. Regrdless of how funding stands, the next priority will be to get a demo in the hands of backers. Lets take it one thing at a time though, and cover the finer details of that when we're there.

3a2b083ba0f85293c9a2fdef624051bb_original.png

More info here: https://twitter.com/oysterFAKE/status/820888544315113473

Risitas seal of approval to developer's name.

risitas-entrevista-famoso--644x362.jpg

Interesting. I like the originality of the "creatures", the industrial/docks style and the physics and changing (morphing? twinning?) oniric details shown. But as Melan said he (they?) don't shows very much gameplay.

By the way, the developer's website is down. We will see.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1841885340/tangiers-surrealist-stealth/posts/2054515

24/11/17

Been homeless since the last update, with most of my time spent moving between temporary accommodations and trying to fix that situation. The problem has, however, very recently been rectified, so now it’s back on Tangiers full time until release.

Things haven’t been entirely static on the Tangiers front though - a fair bit of progress has been made given the circumstances.

A common feeling is wanting to see more in-game footage on these posts, so I've recorded footage walkthroughs of the two main features.

(Edit just before posting: Kickstarter has drastically reduced the quality of the .gifs that I've used in this post. Not sure whether that's because of file size or something else. Will look into it for future updates. Sorry that it's come out so badly)

Inventory
11785111685ef0ea353507e261352cee_original.gif

Some look and feel polish needed, but the introduction of a formal inventory system is now complete. I think I mentioned intentions for this in a past update.

Previously, to keep things sleek, we kept track of everything on an as-needed basis. Mission items, loot, so forth on the objectives screen, health pickups on the main HUD. It worked mechanically, but having everything exist in a wholly passive state felt very shallow and detached from gameplay. To solve this, we have a Dishonored-inspired radial menu.

5095bbfaace176993a2fe57f0186f5cb_original.gif

Accompanying this, I’ve implemented a system for displaying previews of use-x-with-y type interactive items.

c88f4c9378b823ae417d1f081b401054_original.gif

daf882334140ec7a542d0eef7403be7e_original.gif

The new inventory system allowed for the implementation of containers. A small addition that makes the world a whole lot more interactive. Note the little visual assist of having draws staying open once they’ve been emptied - borrowed this from the new Prey.

7aca78d697dd398caf53905875ba0055_original.gif

The interface for reading documents has also been tightened up.

You’ll also see that different interactions display their own cross-hair overlay. This exists not only as an item of flare, but also to give the player advance differentiation between objects that they’re going to pick up (to throw, use as a distraction, etc) and objects that they’re going to collect (store in inventory, use in some way, etc). The player should be able to know what the character is thinking of doing!

Hacking
4197f0b8098dc0827774542e7a1aa115_original.gif

No changes to CCTV cameras, but they’re as good a place as any for introducing the finished hacking system.

94aa6dd72a125ed3a60dd45333740ad1_original.gif

I went up close before throwing the brick because the current aiming system is pretty poor. All physics objects use the same throwing calculation. The calculation feels pretty good on bulky and heavy objects (dynamically scaling force based upon size), but it isn’t particularly suited for targeting projectiles (it’s mainly been configured for moving clutter around, from crates to shelves to boulders). Fixing this issue by currently working on a separate force profile for potential projectiles, as well as a gentle aim assist.

0699da4d2c59c4440f38cda136b5c1fc_original.gif

Manually taking down a camera is pretty noisy, and still requires you to get fairly close to it. So, as all immersive-sim type games are want to do, we have a hacking system to allow for stealthy disabling of cameras (and unlocking doors, permanently disabling alarm system, so on).

2ebb6443fd9f91faf4d524b2586c02f2_original.gif

The hacking system is fairly minimal - wanted to avoid a tonally garish pipe mini game or anything too distracting, fiddly and frustrating. I also wanted to account for the level of technology in the setting - it’s assumed that computers are the size of small rooms, so any answers had to have a very analogue feel to them.

c368538931da9eea8fdcfb40415d1fb4_original.gif

With that in mind, I settled on something loosely inspired by Phreaking. When you hack, you tap into a telephony switchboard, interchange or empty socket. Visualized and heard is a test tone - you have to match that tone with your own waveform for long enough to be granted access to the system.

Quite reductive, but I think that it’s adequate enough to do its job and avoid disrupting the tone & flow of the game. A bit of work needs doing to make the player wave-form more distinct from the system’s, but that’s about it I think.

11a5887e2133be9a8b5ac3c19b0f28bf_original.gif

Once access has been gained, you can then view and disable any available cameras.

Other Things
8d46b87781f8307f8060bdce741dca19_original.png

One small (and needed) update has been to our base concrete shader. For bother larger and more generic objects, rather than expend a huge amount of graphics memory on bespoke texture assets, we’ve always used a blended texture. With this, we assign a colour to each vertex on a model, and the shader blends between different base textures. So, we can give large objects shadow, corner erosion and built up areas of dirt using only a small number of reusable textures.

Before, we just did a smooth blend. Acceptable for distant objects, but far less pleasing for anything up close. With the new shader I’ve made, we modulate the blend to get a far more aesthetically pleasing outcome.

I also took advantage of the new shader to add some performance optimizations. Normally, with this form of rendering, there would be numerous textures providing data - the basic image, an image describing the glossiness of the surface, an occlusion map to assist lighting/shading and a height map to provide the more natural blending. This would make for four separate textures per each of the three textures that we’re blending together - twelve in total. Somewhat heavy going! I realized that because all concrete surfaces in Tangiers are grey, we have a lot of unused colour information. A texture consists of red, green, blue and alpha (transparency) channels. For greyscale, we only need one colour channel, allowing us to embed the information on each texture within each of the spare channels. Thus, our twelve textures are now reduced back down to three. For higher quality, 2k textures, that crunches things down from 32.4mb to 8.1mb of graphics memory. 32.4mb isn’t a huge amount in isolation, but things add up quickly and keeping a tight grip here makes all the difference when it comes to lower-end machines. Really want to avoid the poor performance often found in Unity games.

4abfbd81f6fc146e9321c1134c658af2_original.png

Not too much to talk about with this one, other than that some new, modular assets have been created for old factory areas in various states of decay. Tend to avoid using modular within the level design workflow given how limiting it is, but for brick structures it serves as an ideal base to build upon.

Misc
A lot of other bits and pieces have been finished off and implemented. Improved memory and task management, the save/load system, editor tools for quickly placing hanging cables that sway in the wind (and guide the player to points of interest such as hacking terminals and fuse boxes), various permutations of the texture blend shader, a tile-set for residential crawlspaces and attics, new assets for residential hallways and a wealth of previously static props that are now handled by either the physics or inventory system.

4db9a4e9bc64641e63e5a5f2d68a1cda_original.gif

Ending things with a very rough little work-in-progress.

I’ve had various permutations of a teleporting enemy for quite some time. Enemies that teleport towards you as a combat move, enemies that teleport away from you to get help and various assorted weirdness that never really worked.
The current (and probably final) version teleports from light to light on its patrol route, as well as when engaging in combat. The action is always clearly signalled by flickering and ghosting to give the player chance to respond, though situationally this often acts as a wildcard - an the appearance of an enemy, forcing the player to quickly improvise a response.
Because the enemy is only able to use the teleport ability to move between the brightest areas of lights, it acts as a “strong” variation of the basic bipedal foe - playing off the existing hazard of well lit areas (vs. the lazy route of just throwing more hit points or stronger awareness onto a “strong” variation).

Last edited by a moderator:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Been homeless since the last update, with most of my time spent moving between temporary accommodations and trying to fix that situation. The problem has, however, very recently been rectified, so now it’s back on Tangiers full time until release.

wat

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:necro:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1841885340/tangiers-surrealist-stealth/posts/3018773

PROGRESSION

Usual reshash of prior events: health/homelessness/misfortune/trauma/inexperience lock-in spirals out, send project astray and continually hindering recovery. Few false (re)starts, little in the way of meaningful movement.

Biggest obstacle: Spiral out development cycle left a fragmented mess of a codebase and project structure. Past year and a half invested in dealing with this once and for all. Result: project in a comfortable, stable place. Forward development and real progression no longer merely on the horizon.

Project back on the rails. Completely rebuilt architecture locked down. Backend has been recreated; not only to be manageable, but to provide a game with features and capabilities that after the obscene delays and lack of public activity ends up somehow exceeding expectations. At the heart of things, the Universal Architecture, enabling complex interactions and object behavioral logic akin to what can be seen in Dishonored 2. Toolsets and workflows reappraised to empower us and make shipping a game far, far more feasible.

Environment pan featuring work from the current team.

Crucial: In 2018, I worked on a small game called Paratopic. Slow initial sales albeit an impressive long tail. Revenue saved and invested in Tangiers, facilitating the game's resuscitated development and refusal to die. This was the long plan, a little longer than hoped but still successful.

From that, big change to Tangiers. Arbitrary Metric was founded in 2018 to produce & release Paratopic and future games. Initially myself, narrative designer Doc Burford, and audio designer & musician Lazzie Brown. Now: myself, Lazzie, level designer Paris Stacy, assistant developer Michael Wright and a small circle of freelance contractors. As would make sense, Arbitrary Metric is now "official" developer of Tangiers. Opportunity to build upon past creative successes, exploit our creative dynamics, use reputation earnt, knowledge learnt and relationships built to get Tangiers out the door and make something special out of it.

d188cb4045dc09d27aecfec3a2aebf0d_original.png

Paratopic

Future with Arbitrary Metric: The basis of the game is locked down. Most "solved problems" and features existed in the previous iteration of Tangiers; they are currently being smoothly ported over to the new code base. In April 2021, this should be complete. Around that, constant content grind. Make what needs to be made of the game, missions, spaces, sounds, characters. ETA for that? We'll figure it out at some point in the new year.

6dd7e78fc302641eefaddc02018b931d_original.png

640101acb4214f0671d65966d669cd6a_original.png

a72e92db10033db4aedf771cbc20f8ce_original.png

Level design "greyboxes" from Paris, awaiting art pass

In short: Tangiers is no longer a ragged form on life support but actively in development by a wonderfully talented team with adequate funding for the applicable future. Our plans for the game and for bringing it to release should surprise and exceed expectations.

Next update will be in mid-January. Between fixing the game back up and pandemic, this has been a difficult year - December is much needed downtime. There's a number of frustrated DMs, a few backers requesting refunds. Will be following these up over the next couple of weeks. When we come back, we'll be showing elements of the gameplay we've been working on and the capabilities of the Universal Architecture.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Around the time development updates stopped coming, the dev came out as transsexual, so it was speculated that was where the Kickstarter money had gone.
Guy has some 'thal genes in him :salute:

I take back what I said.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom