Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tank simulators

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Hey guys do you know some good tank simulators?Just watched Girls und panzer and feel like taking a nice Tiger for a ride.I am not interested in any multyplayer games,it must have ok campaign,it is ok if it have more modern tanks.

Black Plague

Arbiter
Hi, this belongs to genres that died when the gaynsoles took over. I'm very sorry.
There is Steel Beasts Pro PE. Many shekels.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It is a really bad time for tank sim lovers indeed. :(
There is also Steel Fury : Kharkov 1942 but not on Steam. There must be several mods adding more tanks to it.
There is also Steel Armor: Blaze of War which is cold warish.
Maybe ARMA 3 can be played like a tank sim with some mods?
Edit: or not :
The Arma3 Nvidia PhysX sytem has some inbuilt limitations that hinder the making of a perfect tank simulation:
- One cannot manually shift gears.
- The automatic gear box does not move up through the gears like in real life but selects the 'best' gear even if that means going straight to top gear.
- Only one turret speed so unpowered and powered turret turn cannot be simulated.
- There is no off-road coefficient for tanks as there are for cars in ARMA3. This means that when a tank goes off-road the speed does not go slower to allow for the vehicle sinking into the softer ground. I have therefore adjusted the tank physx (vehicle handling) so that the tank is able to at least do its top reported off-road speed when off-road, downhill on smooth ground more is possible. This means that on a hard sealed surface such as a highway or runway the tank is unlikely to reach its top reported historical on-road speed. Given that tanks battle mostly off-road I found this is an acceptable compromise until a proper off-road coefficient feature is created by the manufacturer.
- This mod was made and tested in single player mode and works well in that mode. In multiplyer mode I have noticed that an AI controlled tank has errors in the engine sound playback, it either stays in idle sound, running sound or no sound. Am working to fix this so that the mod is compatible in all modes.
- At the moment the Sherman models appear to be broken and no amount of code tweaking will make them move properly, the standard Sherman is too slow and tracks off to one side when driving. The I44 Shermans are too fast and accelerate when cornering.
:negative:

Last edited:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

M1 Tank Platoon ! & II have also been re-released at Steam.

edit.
Also:
https://tallyhocorner.com/2022/06/dusty-but-trusty-iron-warriors-t-72-tank-commander/
There’s the deliciously physical driving experience for a start. The T-72s in Iron Warriors lurch, buck, twitch and teeter exactly the way T-72s should. You can stall them by driving them into obstacles or by attempting to pull away in too high a gear. You can de-caterpillar them on fallen trees and other hazards. Cross-country perambulations that would be soporific in other tank sims are stimulating in this one.

t72i.jpg

True, that probably has as much to do with the wrinkled ground surfaces as the plausible physics. Few genres benefit from close-knit terrain mesh more than armour sims, and, once modded, IW’s topgraphical wireframes can produce seriously lumpy battlefields.

t72y.jpg

Artillery bombardments and dozer blades make them lumpier still. The titular dyspeptic dacha is capable of digging its own scrapes. Deploy the necessary accoutrements (Ctrl+D) and drive backwards and forwards for a minute or two, and hey presto, you’ve got yourself a potentially lifesaving hull-down position. That pit in the image at the top of the page was excavated by Yours Truly in the lull before the Leopards loped over the hill and began slinging sabot rounds.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
T-72 Balkans on Fire/Iron Warriors - decent one, but only three tanks, no interior views and peculiar combat. There is one mod improving the game: https://graviteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=12114.0

Steel Fury Kharkov 1942 - one of the best WW2 tank sims. Vanilla is quite short, but mods are gigantic. Only problem is that AI is not very good. Get mods here https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/screenshot-thread.72409/page-1296#post-8043688

Steel Armor (SABOW) - drive T-62 and M-60. Very detailed, but with complicated squad control mechanics. Very few mods. This mod adds BMP-1 https://sukhoiru.frmbb.ru/viewtopic.php?id=12&ysclid=l6d91lr4x6698030551

T-34 vs Tiger. Decent sim but still quite short. Guy named Zeewolf was making a massive mod for it, but mod is paywalled and guy has disappeared, dunno about the leaks.

Il-2 Tank Crew. Looks very pretty, but I honestly don't know how playable it is right now.

Steel Beasts Pro PE - not a game but a proper tank trainer. Costs a lot, comes with complicated pirate protection.

Panzer Elite - this is classic. Lots of mods here http://pedg.chollie.co.uk/mods.htm

GHPC - new sim in development, modern tanks. Looks promising and demo is available, but who knows.

Honorable mention: Panzer Front for PS One. Decent sim, comes in regular and Wapanese version - the latter has map editor.

If you want WW2 combat, go with Panzer Elite or Steel Fury. If you want modern ones, either Steel Beasts (although it takes time to learn the ropes), SABOW (takes time to learn the command system) or wait for GHPC

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom