Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Target put up a page for Bethesda:Game of Thrones (FAKE)

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Bethesda's next project leaked!????? CAN'T WAIT

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I bet it isn't an rpg.

Bethesda doesn't make cRPG's, so duh Captain Obvious.

I'd be happy with some complex rpg systems for a decent action game with good rpg elements like Daggerfall. Its hard for a console company to make crpgs, unless you are young enough to be one of those people that thinks the c stands for classic.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
I'd be happy with some complex rpg systems for a decent action game with good rpg elements like Daggerfall. Its hard for a console company to make crpgs, unless you are young enough to be one of those people that thinks the c stands for classic.
I thought the c stood for console???

Bl@de

Educated
Fallout Shelter clone with lots of microtransactions.

himmy

Arcane
Neither the books, nor the TV series managed to keep my attention for too long, but the ASoIAF world seems sort of interesting, so I'll give it a try in another medium, sure. There's no way a Beth sandbox game won't be at least a little bit fun to play for the first 30 hours or so.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
People outside of here seem to think it will be a failure since Beth's style doesn't mesh well with GoT.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
GoT's world is just too bland to carry an open world """RPG""", which is what Bethesda is known for primarily. Basically one playable race, bland monsters with the only exception being those zombie things and dragons. If there's more I guess I wouldn't know, haven't actually read the books or watched the show in depth. But I have seen some of it. Never really saw anything that captured my interest or anything beyond generic fantasy.

If this is going to a real Bethesda project it would be better to make more of an action game with a focus on story to appeal to normies.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Neither the books, nor the TV series managed to keep my attention for too long, but the ASoIAF world seems sort of interesting, so I'll give it a try in another medium, sure. There's no way a Beth sandbox game won't be at least a little bit fun to play for the first 30 hours or so.

There is already a GoT console rpg made focusing on two premade characters that has most of the console sensibilities the people on this site love. It came out before the series so wasn't a hit. If you like the shit Bethesda spews out, or the Witcher games, or other console non-rpgs you should like it. It has a pc port on steam. There is also a RTS game for it I think.

himmy

Arcane

There is already a GoT console rpg made focusing on two premade characters that has most of the console sensibilities the people on this site love. It came out before the series so wasn't a hit. If you like the shit Bethesda spews out, or the Witcher games, or other console non-rpgs you should like it. It has a pc port on steam. There is also a RTS game for it I think.

Hmmm, I've had it in my Steam account for ages, maybe it's time to give it a spin. In any, case, my post was more about how much of a sucker I am for hiking simulators. Even if they're bad, I tend to make my own fun around them before I get bored a couple of dozen hours in.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Pro tip: max Tyrion's strength asap so you can get Berserker Whirlwhind and tank 30-40 White Walkers at once. You'll also want to up his con so you can wear 200 pounds of Valyrian steel platemail, which you'll need for the duel with the Mountain.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
It needs to be a mixture of Zelda, Candy Crush and Daddy Dating Simulator, with lots of microtransactions and button-mashing MP.

Someone has to fill the void of BioWare's implosion.

Or just burn Bethesda to the ground.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
It needs to be a mixture of Zelda, Candy Crush and Daddy Dating Simulator, with lots of microtransactions and button-mashing MP.

Someone has to fill the void of BioWare's implosion.

Or just burn Bethesda to the ground.

A dating sim would attract a lot of the female audience. Dress up Tyrion or try to get Jon's cock up.

"wow I haven't been able to do that since I came back from the dead... you're so good (charname)"

Quillon

Arcane
GoT's world is just too bland to carry an open world """RPG""", which is what Bethesda is known for primarily. Basically one playable race, bland monsters with the only exception being those zombie things and dragons. If there's more I guess I wouldn't know, haven't actually read the books or watched the show in depth. But I have seen some of it. Never really saw anything that captured my interest or anything beyond generic fantasy.

If this is going to a real Bethesda project it would be better to make more of an action game with a focus on story to appeal to normies.

What is generic fantasy? Isn't it high medieval fantasy with 100s of magical monsters etc. GoT is as low magic as it can be, its anything but generic. Technically its humans only Skyrim with only draugr and I guess dragon priests as magical creatures go(and too few dragons). Tactically its war and politics of noble families aside from once in 8k or so years white walker rise.

I played GoT rpg from 2012 recently, deleted it after playing I guess 1/3 of the game; horrible production quality but it tries to capture the essence of what asoiaf's world about.

For 3rd action console RPG GoT; single map open world wouldn't work, Witcher 3's style hub based open world could tho, still it would be a big undertaking with most hubs as big as Witcher 3's Toussaint and the biggest as Novigrad. As far as gameplay goes, we should wait and see KCD first, it will either break the fucking traditional fantasy trope all you guys relying on for a medieval game world to be fun or won't. Its said to be having big battles also, will be interesting to see...

Hub based can also be made in any old iso style/pillars engine or some mix of 3rd action console rpg and Total War for big battles.

Anyway, bethesda handling any of this would be even worse than how D&D handled the last 3 seasons of the tv show. CDPR wouldn't be interested, they have Witcher already, which has more compatible world for medieval rpgs you would expect and is similar to asoiaf in many ways.

And I would argue that the current story has to be finished for a compelling rpg to be made from its world, which also has to remain somewhat unchanged; the world shouldn't change dramatically like bringing democracy to Westeros or WWs killing everyone. Otherwise it would either be a fan fiction of the current events or too small scale playing around the current events or a prequel which I wouldn't like and the author pretty much covered and is continuing to cover what happened before; the last three centuries in detail.

Last edited:

DemonKing

Arcane
I didn't mind Cyanide's GoT title or the Telltale game that much - the gameplay in both was pretty limited and the storyline was the focus. A Skyrim style open world sandbox game wouldn't make a lot of sense to me, but I'm not sure Bethesda know how to make any other kind of game.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
GoT's world is just too bland to carry an open world """RPG""", which is what Bethesda is known for primarily. Basically one playable race, bland monsters with the only exception being those zombie things and dragons.

Where have I seen this before.... zombies (or not-zombies) and dragons... zombies... and dragons... zombies... and dragons... hmm...
Skyrim?!?

Is it secretly an ASoFaI game?

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Where have I seen this before.... zombies (or not-zombies) and dragons... zombies... and dragons... zombies... and dragons... hmm...
Skyrim?!?

Is it secretly an ASoFaI game?
H-hey... Skyrim also had... umm...

Slaughterfish?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom