Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tasteful Understated Nerdrage/MrBtongue Thread

Torrasque01

Augur

Cadmus

Arcane
I just watched it now. It's too short for him to properly explore his ideas. I liked it anyway.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
He makes some good points, but it's more about hacks being hacks I think. Anytime something goes mainstream all the hacks come out and do a poor job of it. The main difference here is that genre fiction started with mostly hacks writing it, so there really hasn't been much decline overall, just compared to the masters.

He is very wrong about magic being not in the domain of "literature" though. Lots of classic literature has supernature elements. It seems like it's something that goes in and out of style rather than a new thing. Shakespeare regularly used magic in his plays. The oldest surviving English text is Beowulf, filled with magic. Dante's Inferno is a supernatural story. This isn't even covering Greek literature which was basically all supernatural.

Also, I don't like his definition of internal consistency. Internal consistency does not require defined rules. It just requires that you not not do something contrary to what you've shown thus far. That and don't pull too much shit out of nowhere because that's just deus ex machina.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That's true. I'm hoping the new torment game does that to a degree.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
American football is incline because it is turn based; the other football doesn't have breaks between possessions, so it is "good for what it is" real-time.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
I don't really care much for football/soccer, but that was actually pretty good. Better than I expected anyway, but then again I was expecting I'd turn it off after 2 minutes or something.
Good to see him making more than 1 video per 6 months too.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I don't know if I'd say that's anti-GG, more like not-GG.

Anyways, that's not even the most shocking thing about that video. Declaring without reservation that DAI is a good game bothers me more than saying, "I'm not a Gamergater."

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Is anyone really even surprised after his "Mostly not broken"-video?

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Why does he even bring up GG if he's not going to try to say anything insightful about it? I am disappoint.

:killit:

Ninjerk

Arcane
Why does he even bring up GG if he's not going to try to say anything insightful about it? I am disappoint.

To clear his name. Honestly, I'd want to distance myself from some of that redpiller shit, too, if someone was going around spreading rumors that I had anything to do with it. I find it interesting some of things he highlighted given what Geordie Tait vomited onto twitter (nevermind brian wu).

AN4RCHID

Arcane
I don't blame him for not wanting to be associated with GG or even straight up disagreeing with the main points... But come on dude. You wait four months, and the most interesting thing you can think of to say is that you don't like it because reasons? I expect David Pakman to pull this crap, not MrBtongue.

UglyBastard

Arcane
I have no problem with him not supporting GG but this was way below the standard I expect from him. I hope he never mentions it again and focuses on making good content like he did before he disappeared.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Really? I like Dragon Age, Gamer Gate is groose and RPGs are cool? That is it?

Why people care about the videos of this guy?

It's really funny, the opinion of the average gamer is pretty worthless but when one of those degenerates make pretentious youtube videos, somehow they are worth of a whole thread.

Yeah. the Internet is becomming the new television.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong

To clear his name. Honestly, I'd want to distance myself from some of that redpiller shit, too, if someone was going around spreading rumors that I had anything to do with it. I find it interesting some of things he highlighted given what Geordie Tait vomited onto twitter (nevermind brian wu).

If he had any guts he would have not done any thing and ignored it and made some videos, but nooo instead we now have bargain bin extra credit being to scared to say "I HAVE NO FUCKS TO GIVE" and then continue to make videos instead he went deep into the reatrd pit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom