Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wadjet Eye Technobabylon by Wadjet Eye

Starwars

Arcane
I haven't played through the game yet so this might change but I liked Mandala's character in that... well, she's one of those characters that I would find immensely annoying irl but I think she's well done in the video-game sense. I found her to be believable enough and the game doesn't try to hide that she's a brat who's obviously had a rather weird life and has tried her best to escape it. I dunno, in most games I'd dislike her character so I guess it's a point in this game's favour that I actually quite like her segments in it.

I don't hate Regis, and he's grown on me for the stuff I've played, but I found his "tired old cop who does things *his* way and doesn't really understand the system of today" thing way more tiring than Mandala. But yeah, he's grown on me a bit.

I'm liking the game so far. It's not quite as good as I'd hoped for, nowhere near Primordia (though that's a harsh comparison) but it's one of the better adventure games I've played in a while. It's a bit easy so far though I've enjoyed some of the puzzles. I'm also always a sucker for adventure games that feature "world-building" things like news, separate UIs when you interact with certain things. Just things that flesh out the world a bit beyond the immediate gameplay. Primordia was great at that, it always felt like you were punching in codes into old beaten up pieces of tech and so forth. Technobabylon has some of that flavor as well though it's definitely way more of an "adventure game lite" overall.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I like this

The puzzles are, uh, not hard at all, but the story is fine, voice acting is not repugnant, characters somewhat likable (lulz, the trap is the most likable - but also had the shittiest puzzle sequence so far) and it only got 'obvious' later on.

If you're on linux, the ags linux port works fine and allows fullscreen by executing on the game dir 'ags --fullscreen'.

edit: got to the ending sequence - although some of the fake C&C from earlier in the game was nullified, it appears like there will be several endings altogether, and some of them maybe be influenced by some choices.

Good game.

edit2: dissapointing lack of endings compared to Primordia. I count 3 or 4 factions in the endgame and yet i've only managed to trigger 2 endings - and no variation of 'professionalism' when central reviews your ass? Weak, here was i thinking that getting rid of the hand while central was hacked would actually affect something. I may be doing something wrong, but i really felt like they were aiming for a Conquests of the Longbow style 'gradations of success' ending(s), but that fizzled out too.

Last edited:

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So, I only finished once, but I am guessing "Side with Central," "Side with Nina, Councilman is alive," "Side with Nina, Councilman is dead" and "Side with Arabic Underground." I went with the first one, chiefly to screw Nina, because she is the biggest cunt in the game but she managed to weasel her way out of it by turning state evidence. I think if I framed the Chinese for the suicide bombing the Councilman might have been used to put her away, but I am not replaying three acts to find that out for sure.
Also Regis proves he is the sure recipient of a Dad of the Year Award when he totally ignores Galatea, letting Central cut her up for experimentation.

Final verdict: Took me 8 hours and it was enjoyable 8 hours. The twists were sorta predictable and the puzzles were easy but the story was good and did not fall apart in the last act like say Resonance or the last Blackwell game. Bonus points for parts of America being lawless hellholes ruled by warlords fighting the two succession states.

:3/5:/:5/5:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
No
It works out the same, except the councilman weasels out with Nina instead of only her. However, the other ending where you support Nina is hilariously out-of-character imo, giving the 'idea' that Nina just wanted to 'free' Central - compare and contrast to the little outro/coda on the first ending, you can hang whatever mischievous motivations you want in your headcanon ofc, this isn't a jrpg.
I haven't been able to trigger the 'Side with Arabic Underground' ending either. At first i thought that the character i forget the name was only and actually the ending clone-bitch, but it appears as a hologram so it's not.
I also wanted the 'side' with her ending where Miss Rebel without a cause and a job gets a severe case of schizophrenia but it appears to not exist - discounting the variations that little optional puzzle alternatives could have given for 'degrees of success' endings like i said, which i would have also liked to exists for each and every faction. To make central happy, you'd have to get the warrant instead of breaking in, get rid of evidence of 'questionable investigation techniques', kill the bomber, report back when you infiltrate the airship, to make Nina happy do something else etc

And the game tricked me there was a hidden relationship meter with Lao too, when we had to convince her of non-standard actions, or when she revealed her M2F trans past, or that there was ending C&C if you managed to save a embryo by navigating dialogs.

:rage:
lazy as fuck, coul'da been great

Last edited:

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Last puzzle... (or so I think)

The one with the door and the three locks. How do I unlock the last one, the command access? Can't for the life of me figure it out, NPC's right now are unhelpful and my inventory is getting more and more cluttered with grenades

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I can't remember which is which but as you wrote you already know the solutions to the others, i will spoil all of them
in one you had to shunt auxiliary power to your faction, so you needed to get rid of the mindjacker dude, which you do with planting a grenade into a droid and controlling it from the trance
the other door is opened by just going into the upper trance and clicking the virtual door
and finally the other, you need to click two hotspots, on in the brain machine room, and another in the wall just before the elevator stops on the last floor. If you want to know how to do that (i suspect this is the one puzzle)
you need to stop the elevator which you can do with something you find
the wrench on the corpse under the elevator

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
I'm stupid, didn't realize there were three trance floors, I always assumed the "elevator" on the first trance floor took you back to the ground floor and never clicked it

evdk

Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The bloody conduit puzzle made me stuck for the longest time. That and the last clue in the restaurant investigation.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Yeah the last puzzle of the restaurant was ass. Sure, the first thing i can think of to get a fish is to mutilate a corpse. The magnet+gun puzzle was also really stupid and durrr adventure-logic.

evdk

Patron
Yeah the last puzzle of the restaurant was ass. Sure, the first thing i can think of to get a fish is to mutilate a corpse. The magnet+gun puzzle was also really stupid and durrr adventure-logic.
Err I did both corpse mutilation and magnet fishing on the first try. My problem was finding the murdered waiter - after I cut off the steak from one of the cadavers I kinda tuned them out and forgot about them. Also - is the bleach you find in the bathroom good anything?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Couldn't find anything for it. Though some things have alternate solutions they tend to be really obvious (break and enter or ask central for warrant for ex).

slantcarson

Novice
I absolutely can't wait to play this game. Wadjet Eye has yet to let me down even remotely, and when I heard they were doing cyberpunk I was floored. There hasn't been a cyberpunk point-and-click since, what... Blade Runner? So, almost twenty years. Games like this almost always tend to deliver absolutely amazing experiences (Beneath a Steel Sky, IHNMAIMS, etc).

Starwars

Arcane
I just finished it. Overall, I found it very enjoyable though it doesn't feel as "sharp" and focused as Primordia (the best adventure game in recent times). The story feels like it makes a few leaps here and there but overall it manages to be supremely enjoyable to follow still. The characters are mostly pretty damn good. Regis grew on me, Lao was excellent as the "sidekick"... People seem to have a hard time with Mandala, which I can understand, but I thought she was well-realized. And
Nina was totally a character you love to hate.

I think they struck a pretty nice balance with the puzzles as well. It managed to avoid the puzzles where I'd be stuck for days on end basically, while keeping a few that left me stumped for a while. It kept the pace up which was nice. I think it could've been slightly harder overall but all in all I think they were pretty close to hitting a sweet spot for me. There were a few puzzles where I managed to miss vital things because I managed to miss interactive objects, some of the art could've been a bit more "clear" I suppose. The game looks pretty nice overall though. The audio is also good. Voiceacting is mostly pretty good as well.

The game has you playing different character at different times, and it feels like the game's pace is dictated by the game's story. There's no "hub" gameplay where you're given a large area to run around in and solve problems in. Rather the story moves you forward through smaller areas. You get to an area, solve the puzzles in it, then the game moves you on towards a new area, and so forth. It makes the story work pretty well but I miss having the larger game-area to go around in and explore and solve things on my time and as I figure them out.

STEAM has my playthrough listed as 12 hours which felt just right. It didn't outstay its welcome, nor did it drag on and on.

All together, not quite the instant classic I was hoping for, a bit uneven here and there, but nevertheless clearly one of the best adventure games that I've played in recent times and holds up very well against the classics also. Will definitely replay at some point.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I absolutely can't wait to play this game. Wadjet Eye has yet to let me down even remotely, and when I heard they were doing cyberpunk I was floored. There hasn't been a cyberpunk point-and-click since, what... Blade Runner? So, almost twenty years. Games like this almost always tend to deliver absolutely amazing experiences (Beneath a Steel Sky, IHNMAIMS, etc).

Wadjet Eye didn't develop the game :) Technocrat Games did :)

WhiteGuts

Arcane
A weak experience overall, in my opinion. Some good things here or there, but Technobabylon is far behind WEG classics like Primordia, Gemini Rue or Resonance (not to mention Blackwell of course).

Shadenuat

Arcane
I liked it overall, even if in the end it's a game consisting of genre (setting) tropes
First of all, presentation is great, the opening screen sets you in a right mood, and visuals are very nice
Then, all puzzle design based around splitting and changing personalities is great. It's not as complicated as Deponia 2, fairly unobtrusive and not very hard, but it fits the setting well and is just fun because of all the extra dialogue bits. I was particularly amused at what you can do with the gun turret - I think that was a nod to Ghost in The Shell and it's tropy robot. This sort of quest design for cyberpunk can be it's own game.
The world and characters are well developed. I was surprised to find myself reading whole pdf Codex, dropping it for a moment, then still returning because I felt I had to know everything to understand the game more
The puzzles are... hit & miss. They have that BladeRunneresque style mixed in with herp derp adventure style. When they keep to the former, make you switch between virtual and real, study items and engage enemies with guerilla tactis, they win. When they make you stick sticks to sticks and use the fishing rod, which I would gladly shove in the ass of quest designer and turn there a few times so he'd understand and leave the ClassicAdventureQuestDesignTM on the bottom of a sea, they don't work.
Somewhere in the middle game couldn't but become busywork. Somewhere around getting genes from plants and various Latha encounters. Thankfully game is short, but somewhere around the middle the aura of exploration was lost for me. It happens to me though, I am an impatient player when it comes to quests. I just don't tolerate filler stuff and busywork bullshit. Constant "20 days before 2 hours later" added to the effect. Happens when you gulp the game whole without chewing or making many pauses when playing.

When it comes to the story, I'd say game is very character driven. Not much C&C, but you pay a lot of attention to what other characters think about you.

My liberals trigger wasn't triggered. It's interesting, since it was in new Dreamfall series. Why? Well, I guess because every character in game is somewhat flawed. Say, I liked Latha's character. Again, why? Because I think she is a good representation of a dystopian cyberpunk teenager. She is miserable. She is a nobody outside the web, she is a total drug addict, and she does what drug addicts do. The only thing that made her get her from her ass was fear of death OR her addiction to net. Granted you have some choices, but look just what a wreck she is - first thing she does when gets into a some bad situation in game, she makes more drug stuff on a "frying pan". Throughout almost whole game she only shows any resourcefullnes when she thinks she can get more of her drug. And she whines how she wants to leave real world whole game.
And in the end, does she become a hero? Or a messiah or something? lolno
She makes peace with her father and becomes a productive member of society and she is happy about it
Then there are a bunch of other funny folk who are generally dicks. For teh good of the city of their own proffit they murder, backstab or just get dead in the next scene.

And the only pillar of morality, who makes hard choices and made the final hard choice is who? The ohsoyoubackwards Regis. So, while for western audience setting might seem tumbleresque, I don't think characters and what happens with them support that by lot. If anything I'd look at it more as a satire, especially at how game treats it's new generation.

So yeah, game has it's own charm. A few things get dragged a bit, some flashbacks break the pacing of the game and it could do without them a little, and game is eeh moderately cliche with it's story. But it doesn't kill it and it's not hard to complete.

If we make comparisons just for the sake of it... it loses to Resonance when it comes to item/character manipulation and puzzles, but those things were what kept me from completing that game. I felt overwhelmed by Resonance. It is, in my opinion, moderately above Primordia in the same field, because of personality puzzles and enemy "fighting" doesn't feel as clunky. However, it loses when it comes to story and focus to Primordia by far, and in focus to Gemini Rue too. But you know, not to the point where you're not interested about what's happening.

Would play the sequel, just no more fishing rods and less of genre tropes moving the plot (especially DeusEx 2, it's not even that great of a material to get inspiration from).

Last edited:

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
This was gud in a friendly, small-scale way. It doesn't try to be a big epic, but does what it sets out to do admirably. There are no "use the monkey on the pump"-style lolwut puzzles; instead, a lot of the challenges hinge on using futuristic tools and interfaces in entirely sensible, if sometimes unorthodox ways. (Admittedly, adventure game logic crops up more in the last third of the story, and the division between the ways different characters solve puzzles starts to blur.) Restricting the characters to fairly confined areas also avoids puzzle bloat, while adding an extra layer of info and conversation to most sections adds to the worldbuilding.

I think the setting and characters are excellent. Like everything, it uses clichés, but the way it uses them is what makes them stand up to scrutiny. Newton is not a standard "worst side of humanity" dystopia, but a welfare state gone bad, and that influences a lot of the overall feel and how things work. The game dedicates sufficient thought to its politics, screwed up subcultures and technologies to make it feel more than a carbon copy of every other CP setting with rogue ai and tuff cops. The story has interesting themes of future shock, generational conflict (centred on the three player characters) and the way advanced future societies will exploit advanced technology for the same stupid things we do today. Even little touches like CEL investigators having doctoral titles, or the news readouts on your PDAs contribute to the game's groundedness. Also, antagonists acting out of misguided idealism or self-interest is a common concept, but it is mostly well realised.
Dr. Vargas is a slimy motherfucker, though. Fuck that guy. And Nina is too close to a villain villain in this particular game.
And yeah, as Shadenuat wrote, Latha is a well-written character in all her unlikeableness. She is anti-social for fairly precise reasons, and most everyone treats her with the appropriate reaction people have to low-lives. (To mention a counter-example, Simon from Simon the Sorcerer II becomes a shitty little monster due to all the downright vile stuff he does, without showing an ounce of personality. Simon is a bad character unless he was meant to be a psychopath, which is unlikely.) If there was an underdeveloped character, it was Lao, although you could say staying in the background was her thing.

All in all, well worth the money.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Gamasutra postmortem: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...ts_cyberpunk_adventure_game_Technobabylon.php

Since this is the Codex...

What Went Wrong

1: AGS

Since 2009, AGS has been my engine of choice. Even for non-adventure games, I've enjoyed stretching its capabilities to produce turn-based strategy and arcade games. While it's even better for making adventures, the challenges that it created while making Technobabylon have started to outweigh the benefits of its dedicated adventure-creation for me. If you're looking to start somewhere, I'd still wholeheartedly recommend AGS, but personally I'm going to be making the move to Unity or Unreal.

At first, using an adventure engine to make an adventure game seems perfectly logical. But problems began to manifest as the development process went on. It isn't a system that likes to share – there isn't a way to split development of different assets and modules across a team, beyond a separation into “art”, “audio” and “everything else”. Saved games aren’t backwards compatible, which makes patches nearly impossible to implement. While some may see this as a boon (after all, how would Assassin's Creed Unity have been if they'd had to get everything correct out of the door?), it means that, with the exception of major game-breaking issues, we are unable to update the game following its release. This also prevents us from releasing extra language updates in the future.

The third major issue with AGS, and the one that is chiefly driving me to change, is compatibility. The games will run in Windows, and by default, that's just about it. Some tweaking can make them Mac and Linux compatible, but this takes specialized engineering by Wadjet Eye's staff. Even when the games work in Windows, there are often compatibility issues with graphics. AGS has been a useful place to start, but the number of difficulties it's added to this production have encouraged me to move on.

Technobabylon5.jpg

2: Stop-Start-Stop-Start

Technobabylon began its development in 2010, had three episodes, and then kind of stalled for about four years. Several attempts to get Part 4 off the ground were not satisfactory, partly because of the game's original intention. Starting as a practice project, I'd get half-way through Part 4, then find that my own art style had improved (or simply changed), meaning that characters and scenery no longer resembled their counterparts from the beginning of the episode's production. Deciding to apply this newer style across the board, I set out to remake the earlier sections of the game, but each time had the same result. Because of this, there are roughly five different versions of the first section of Technobabylon, almost word-for-word the same, but differing in presentation.

Technobabylon4.png

Unsatisfied with each effort, I would keep clearing out and beginning again, a cycle which continued until 2014, when I finally decided to leave the art in the hands of someone more competent than myself. Unfortunately, my previous turnover of a new section every few months had been completely scuppered by these delays. For me, being able to complete a project in sections is a tremendous aid in getting through something as large as this. By reaching these tangible goals, it feels less like a marathon, and more like a series of shorter, more manageable races.

Wholly rebuilding the first sections not only delayed getting the game itself finished, but created a feeling of going around in circles, creating lingering doubt as to whether I'd ever be able to complete it. Doubts would always pop up, and it was very difficult to stay on track while I was handling the art assets as well. In the same sense that different people have different preferred styles of learning, I think that there's a lot to be said for finding a work approach that is effective for individuals – I need to identify a way to stay on-track for any future projects, rather than simply relying on the skill of others to fill the gaps that are causing me to fluster.

3: Bugs in the review build

As mentioned earlier, games built in AGS are not easy to fix once released, as saved games are rendered incompatible. Towards the end of development, as with other games, we had a few months of “crunch time”, where we'd work through the game with testers to root out and destroy any bugs in the game. The danger with this is that you keep on finding things to fix, just a little tweak here and there, and it ends up becoming a cycle of tiny changes (some that cause new problems themselves) that never ends.

Technobabylon2.jpg

Eventually of course, we'd have to release something to show to the press for reviews before the game itself came out, and we did. We'd made sure that the game was playable from start to finish, and sent it out to the reviewers – this of course was when we started getting reports of a couple more game-breaking bugs that the testers had found since the review build went out. A couple of them were fairly egregious, the kind of thing I feel like I should have spotted months earlier in the development process.

My first hope was that reviewers may simply miss them – if they were following the walkthrough provided, they might never find the errors. Obviously I'd underestimated them, as Wadjet Eye's public relations soon started to receive e-mails reporting these problems.

Dave assured me that reviewers would understand that this was an unfinished version, and that bugs were to be expected (as long as we'd squashed them by the final release). Based on the reviews that the game eventually received, this seems to have been the case. Part of me feels that we could have made a better impression with a couple more weeks of testing, and I would kick myself when one of those reports came in. These things have to be released eventually though, and at least I can say we got through it in the end. There are still a few issues here and there, but nothing serious.

4: The Ending

As I planned Technobabylon, I wanted to give it a suitably grand ending, with the concept of the human mind fusing with an all-knowing artificial intelligence. Then, I remembered that this was in fact the ending to Deus Ex, and that I'd have to come up with something else.

I'd spent several years planning what was going into the game, but realised that I'd put remarkably little thought into the ending. The downside with adventure games is that, unlike many other genres, one can't finish with a boss-battle. The changes I made to it also prevented me from taking the player's actions throughout the game into account to anywhere near the extent I would have liked. I wanted multiple endings and I detest the Mass Effect 3 style of “Press button A for red explosion, button B for blue explosion” way to end a game, but unfortunately a large part of Technobabylon's ending ended up being dominated by a binary choice towards the end of the game. I aimed to ameliorate this by giving more detail and difference to the endings than the colour scheme, but I knew that it wasn't going to please everyone, and I'm sure I could have done it much better.

Technobabylon%202.png

The other issue we had was that the endings (and the part leading up to them) didn't get nearly as much testing as they should have. The continued problem of saves breaking meant that, with each update to the game's beta (weekly), the testers would have to restart the game from the beginning. As a result, we got a lot of feedback about the first half of the game, but not a great deal for the latter. A mad rush of testing towards the end of production led to fixes for the most serious issues again, but I still feel that I ought to have given the last section more work.

5: The Style

This is a controversial one – I like the style, and our artists (Ben Chandler and Ivan Ulyanov, who dealt with the character portraits) have done tremendous work. '90s-style pixel art exactly captured the feel of the game I was looking for, evoking the memory of games like Beneath a Steel Sky. It's straightforward to make, not resource-intensive, and a signature style of Wadjet Eye games today. However, if I could send e-mails backwards in time, I would advise myself to consider other options – maybe something higher-resolution, or potentially 3D.

While I and other players of indie games like Technobabylon have a fondness for the style, one of the most frequent comments I see from casual observers on the internet is “ugh, those graphics!” Many players today are unable to parse the blocky style, and perceive the game as somehow cheaper or inferior based upon its style. While I personally disagree with them, I can't help but wonder if sticking to the style has potentially cost us sales, and am endeavoring to explore other options for future games.

Conclusion

Making Technobabylon has been a fantastic experience. It started as a learning experience, and in many ways has continued to be so as I've gotten to grips with the realities of making a full-length game. There are certainly a few things which, in hindsight, could have been done differently, but these now become sources of experience from which to make the next game even better.

As to where we go next, there are all kinds of options. Maybe another adventure, maybe something different, perhaps even a Technobabylon sequel since we've had people asking about it, and others suggesting I get into VR with Oculus Rift. I’ve got to start experimenting with Unity though, so the chances are that the next game you see from me will be another practice project – but as we've seen, who knows where that could go?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The third major issue with AGS, and the one that is chiefly driving me to change, is compatibility. The games will run in Windows, and by default, that's just about it. Some tweaking can make them Mac and Linux compatible, but this takes specialized engineering by Wadjet Eye's staff.
Lie
this is all you need (and i played this very game on it)
https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/commits/master

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'd spent several years planning what was going into the game, but realised that I'd put remarkably little thought into the ending. The downside with adventure games is that, unlike many other genres, one can't finish with a boss-battle.

:hmmm:

"oh shit, forgot we were making ad adventure game! we'll need to wedge in some sort of a story, at some point..."

:negative:

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Or Broken Age part 1.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom