Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Technomancer - action-RPG by Spiders (Mars War Logs, Bound by Flame)

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://www.incgamers.com/2015/04/spiders-games-announces-the-technomancer

Spiders Games has announced cyberpunk-y post-apocalyptic RPG The Technomancer, slated for a 2016 launch.

The Technomancer puts you on Mars during “the War for Water.” As an aspiring Technomancer you’ll be dealing with your past secrets in an attempt to secure your future as you explore tribal communities, lost cities buried in ice, and dystopian shantytowns spread across the red planet, all while fleeing from the secret police.

I don’t have much in the way of details but you can expect companion characters, a crafting system, four skill trees, three different fighting styles, quests with multiple possible endings, and “dynamic conversation dialogue” that’ll put as much emphasis on talking your way through situations as it will on forcing your way through them.

The Technomancer is due to hit PC in 2016, and will be published by Focus Home Interactive. You can see a gigantic piece of art and a couple of early screenshots below.

BiqwH85.jpg

48ed47X.jpg

http://thetechnomancer-game.com/

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Game of Thrones, Styx etc are Cyanide games but Spiders collaborated on them too. Cyanide and Spiders work together a lot, which is good because the results are much better than their solo games (Bound by Flame, for example, or the Cyanide-only Confrontation)

DeepOcean

Arcane
Their low production values aren't even their worst problem, imagine a bunch of those low production value games but with a gameplay like Thief, System Shock and other classics, it would be awesome. What makes those games shovelware for me isn't the graphics but the gameplay they are really derivative popamole action games of low quality. If their games look like shit, I wouldn't mind that if the gameplay tried something truly new and awesome but both Mars War Logs and Bound by Flame are really only action games of questionable quality. They are just low production values AAA popamole games that don't bring anything intereting.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
And it's pretty funny that "niche" titles like D:OS and WL2 has sold more than these wannabe popamole games (even with console sales). I hope that they learn something from this, but well. :roll: I don't know. Maybe is this their passion, where their hearts are at?

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It comes across that way in Spiders's case, like they really do like big 3d action rpgs and want to make their own but they just fucking can't.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
BiqwH85.jpg

No amount of praying will help make this a good game. (I'll pick it up during a sale.)

Unwanted

Fitz

Unwanted
No waifus?
Those come later, you don't start by showing off the best parts of your game, if you frontload your hype machine you run out of things to escalate the interest with later towards release.

Viata

Arcane
What is sad in this is that the people trying to make different settings for rpg games are the ones that makes games I don't feel like playing it. :negative:

Explorerbc

Arcane
Combat looks exactly the same as in War Logs and Bound by Flame.

At least let's hope the story is better.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
What is sad in this is that the people trying to make different settings for rpg games are the ones that makes games I don't feel like playing it. :negative:

What's even more sad is that while the aesthetics change, some more some less, all these games regardless of the developer look and play alike.

Mostly lke shit.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I seriously pity those who cannot enjoy these games.
Sure, they do not have Witcher 3 or Mass Effect levels of production quality, but IMO they are fine for medium budget games.

Last edited:

Viata

Arcane
Sure, they do not have Witcher 3 or Mass Effect levels of production quality
This is not a problem for me. I don't like ME and though I have both Witcher 1 and 2, I have yet to play it(and may not even like it). It's the gameplay itself that kills these games for me.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I couldn't really get into Bound by Flame but I liked Mars War Logs, if only for the setting, so I'll probably check this one out. The most damaging thing for both games was that it was very obvious they had a shoe-string budget yet tried to make a AAA style RPG, making both feel very truncated and ending right as they were getting interesting.

Parsifarka

Arcane
Reading this thread remembered me I still have to finish The Cursed Crusade (it's the better looking but even more retarded brother of The First Templar, which is quite enjoyable). Say what you want, but someone must provide barely bearable quality shovelware to fill bundles and 90% discounts at digital stores, and our eurobros are up to the challenge :salute:

Azarkon

Arcane
When I was a kid, I had the great idea to combine techno- and -mancer to create the portmanteau technomancer, a class that, instead of using magic, uses technology to accomplish the same effects. I thought I was being very clever.

Later, I learned that Steve Martindale published the term in a short story, but by then, I had gotten over the novelty of the term, and thought it rather brought to mind a hipsterfag who danced to electronic music.

And now, I have come full circle in the endless cycle that is life. What was old and lame, is now new and lame again.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom