Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tell me about games you wanted to Re-Play, but dropped after 5 minutes...

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Ah, yes now that you say it, I recall there was something about VSYNC. I'll try to remember it next time (unfortunately it's already too late, as my last attempt was 1 year ago). Actually I also remember right after uninstalling the game having read up that exact same thing about VSYNC and then :facepalmed :lol:

This is a list, but what are the reasons which put you off replaying these games?

Ok.

Skyrim - it's just too boring an have this awful 'shovelware' feeling.

Warcraft 2 - I squeezed the tiniest drop of blood of it back in the day, finished all campaignes, done cool shit with map editor... I crossed the line so every time i try to replay it makes me wanna puke coz of overreating.

Modern shooters - they're just a chore to play in the first place but from time to time I'll give better ones an another one and can't stand after 5-10 minutes. Bulletstorm does not count, I beat it about 10 times on every difficulty levels and still wanna do dat, damn in this case I hate modern times even more - when I was getting bored with Quake, Doom, Duke3D etc. there were still hundreds or thousands free maps / mappacks but now mods/usermade content are EVIL (unless they're being sold on Steam) so I'm cursed to replay the same levels over and over again with no hope for sequel (Bulletstorm sold under million units) or a single dumb corridor based free single player map :decline:

Unreal 1 - it's boring to play, I like graphics / aesthetics, still enjoy deathmatches/ botmatches (it was the first game that has bots implemented right from the starts) but all of this rare HP-bloated shit... I'd prefer Doom model where u kill hundreds of low hp mobs, Unreal is an opposite thing.

FF5 - it's has best combat system of all main FF titles (and second best after FFT) but everything else is just plain cheap, even graphics is somehow downgraded comparing to FF4.

Abhay

Augur
Easily, GTA IV and V.

1. GTA IV - Disliked totally for the sandbox gameplay taking a hit in order to showcase the writing. As shamusyoung rightly pointed out, "The author of this mission isn’t designing a game, he’s writing a movie scene, and I’m acting as a stuntman who isn’t allowed to read the script. I have to feel around for the railroad plot and figure out my place in it"

Tightly scripted story missions, lack of content as a vanilla game, and importantly, the content available was just a bunch of boring shit like, mini games, and a couple of short side missions, lack of more infinite type missions like vigilante, lack of stealth, and lack of interesting ideas to keep myself interested in the open world outside the story.
2. GTA V - Same reasons as above, but got worse in nearly all aspects.
Even more tightly scripted missions with hardly any potential of creativity in them, heists were a major disappointment for completely staged and scripted with little to no interesting choices for a replay, more mini games crap, more collectibles shit being used as to simply extend the lifespan of the game, useless activities like triathlon, flight school, one time events like stranger & freaks, random events; utter waste of time, so many restrictions introduced upon the trio for the player to freely do whatever fuckin way he desires to customize, and interact like how GTA SA allows player to control CJ with total freedom, lack of interiors, boring map with the potential not fully realised, and overall just another, empty, lifeless, boring, extremel handholdy affair.

HD GTAs suck shit now.
Nowhere as open ended, content rich single player experienced offering lots of creativity and nonlinear freedom to keep replaying.
GTA is doomed under this new direction. Rockstar have lost the charm of their classics like GTA III, VC and SA.

Blowhard

Cipher
Pretty much every game these days. I'll do this incredibly OCD (I imagine, I could simply be weird) thing where no-matter what I'm playing, it will never be the right thing for that particular itch. If I'm playing X I'll be thinking about Y, and when I change to Y, I'm thinking about X. It will get to the point where I am rapid cycling ideas of what to play, and the anxiety of this ruins any fun I could have. The boredom in doing nothing is about as bad as being stressed out by not experiencing maximum fun at any one moment. Wanting MAXIMUM FUN is of course incredibly ironic because I'm not even having small amounts of fun anymore even when I do get "engaged" in something longer than 5 minutes.

deuxhero

Arcane
I just reinstalled NWN2 then didn't even launch the thing when I realized the module I was going to play seems to have had the newest version lost (Subtley of Thay, all that's on the vault is the original separated versions, but the combined one with several fixes)

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jedi Knight 2.
I was getting motion sickness from excessive wobbling when moving. Oh well.

I'm thinking about replaying Baldur's Gate every now and then, but couldn't quite get to it for about 10 years now.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Wow, I'm replaying Dead Space right now and loving it. With this playthrough, I'm doing the opposite of you and trying to *only* use the plasma cutter.

Regarding the controls, did you have VSYNC *on* or *off*? Leaving it *on* seems to really screw up the control responsiveness.

Plasma cutter is the best weapon in the game. Joking aside, I finished the game using *only* that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom