Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Telltale's Tales from the Borderlands

Duraframe300

Arcane
I'm broken.

This was planned.

Somebody actually thought it was a good idea to make a joke out of this.

I mean it would have been funny trollin' if we talked about a equal/near equal franchise.

But, it's Boarderlands.

BOARDERLANDSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I remember when I thought Telltale would actually be a successor to LucasArts... yeah... all they do is sell $40 digital graphic novels.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
It's a shame, I did like their first two seasons of Sam and Max. I always had a feeling they'd go somewhere though, too bad it just wasn't in the way I wanted.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
"Let's have Telltale make an adventure game based on our terrible console shooter!"
"Great idea Randy! Have a raise!"

Just because Telltale got a GOTY with Walking Dead...

Duraframe300

Arcane
"Let's have Telltale make an adventure game based on our terrible console shooter!"
"Great idea Randy! Have a raise!"

There are only a few people in the industry I dislike more than Randy Pitchford. I mean I don't even think the developers at Gearbox are bad.

Randy is just the worst.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah, I had hopes for Telltale years ago too, but as someone put it "They just release episodic $40 Choose Your Own Adventures".

I really just don't care for what they're doing now. Though it's financially successful for them, it definitely lets more hardcore adventure gamers down. They had to make a choice a while back - and they chose a different path than what they started out as, I think.

Bt

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I don't blame Telltale for the new QTE Choose Your Own Adventure Game™ mold that they now use, because that is what the Publishers want, AND it is financially successful for them.

Just don't fuck up future Sam and Max games with that shit.

Redlands

Arcane
I'm not too surprised this happened, especially considering their LucasArts roots. LucasArts games definitely tended to be more story-focused over free world exploration (probably because of who they are in relation to LucasFilm) in comparison to Sierra (though not a hard and fast rule, obviously).

This is the danger that comes with adventures of that type, especially when you up the costs with voice acting, licensing costs, etc. When you invest in story that much, free-form exploration is a no-no, because it can ruin the expensive story "experience", it increases costs (extra, meaningful choices can't really be done; and then there are the art assets, etc., needed to flesh out the extra areas). To recoup costs, multiplatform release becomes far more appealing: then you'll need to target the game to what console gamers are comfortable with, which is more action-oriented (even when puzzles are concerned) and visceral than cerebral, so there go the puzzles. Cutting down on those two things, and it's unsurprising that all you're left with in an adventure game is a QTE movie.

That's not to say you can't mess up going too far towards free exploration or puzzles: you can end up with a hiking simulator, or just a puzzle game. Not that there's anything wrong with any of these three types of games, just that they're not adventure games because they're missing a vital ingredient. But in the case of too story-heavy games, you also risk the "game" aspect.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

Due to that it's basically all Telltale will make from now on. They found a sizable market of retards willing to pay for such 'games' so why not?

Eyeball

Arcane
Borderlands is absolutely not funny or Deep enough of a setting to carry an adventure game.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I don't blame Telltale for the new QTE Choose Your Own Adventure Game™ mold that they now use, because that is what the Publishers want, AND it is financially successful for them.

You need to accept that Sam & Max will get the same treatment, deep in your heart you know it to be true, they're doing a Borderlands game, we've gone beyond any hope now.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm not too surprised this happened, especially considering their LucasArts roots. LucasArts games definitely tended to be more story-focused over free world exploration (probably because of who they are in relation to LucasFilm) in comparison to Sierra (though not a hard and fast rule, obviously).

Uh? I always felt like it was the exact opposite.

Sierra was also more on the bleeding edge technologically with their mocapped characters and such

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane

You need to accept that Sam & Max will get the same treatment, deep in your heart you know it to be true, they're doing a Borderlands game, we've gone beyond any hope now.

Eh, why? Sam & Max was always a classic adventure game franchise. It wouldn't be of any benefit to Telltale to adopt an established IP meant for classic adventure games when they could work with any new property they choose to that doesn't have classic adventure games made after it, and so far they've only announced working with new IPs after TWD's success.

Don't know about this Borderlands game but a Game of Thrones game has also been confirmed.

aris

Arcane

ugh... This strikes me as an extremely bad idea. What about telltale get out its two good series, walking dead and the wolf among us, before they start with a bazillion other simultaneous projects? It seems like they are really going more and more for quantity over quality, which eventually will be their undoing if they keep at it like that.

aris

Arcane
I don't agree that the borderlands universe is artistically bankrupt. On the contrary, I think it has many merits, and I enjoyed borderlands 1 and 2 for it's universe, characters and "story" a lot. But now it's getting reeeeaaally stretched thin, what with the shit ton of DLCs for borderlands 2, which is currently getting beyond excessive, and now this, which just seems like a rehash of the vanilla campaign in borderlands 2.

They should focus on a few projects, and do them well, as they did with the walking dead, which showcased some of the best characters and story telling ever in the history of gaming.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I don't agree that the borderlands universe is artistically bankrupt. On the contrary, I think it has many merits, and I enjoyed borderlands 1 and 2 for it's universe, characters and "story" a lot. But now it's getting reeeeaaally stretched thin, what with the shit ton of DLCs for borderlands 2, which is currently getting beyond excessive, and now this, which just seems like a rehash of the vanilla campaign in borderlands 2.

They should focus on a few projects, and do them well, as they did with the walking dead, which showcased some of the best characters and story telling ever in the history of gaming.
I had some fun with Borderlands as well and the universe is decent but you mentioned my whole problem with Tell Tale games, their writing is decent for the video game industry that mostly have mediocre to terrible writing. So, they sacrificed the game part, only kept the video that isn't enough to carry their shit alone. They just recycle cliches or use other people intelectual property, they have decent writing skill for making derivative shit.Their GoT game will have low polygon, cartoony with stiff facial animation versions of the characters of the show (I really don't believe that Tell Tale has the budget to do something better than this) and with worse writing. I'm just looking at them from a movie/TV series perpective because the "game" part is simon says with random clicking.So, what is the point?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm curious as to whether Telltale does the writing for their licensed titles or are they basically just handed a script. If it's the latter than it's easy to see how they can make this stuff on the cheap. Just do the artwork, animation, and throw in some shitty puzzles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom