Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Telltale's Tales from the Borderlands

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
Yeah, they were basically just handed a script by Robert Kirkman when they did TWD. Obviously. Not.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
True, but they were already handed characters, arcs, etc. The groundwork was done - and usually is in licensed projects like these.

Bt

aris

Arcane
As noted in the development of wolf among us; developing the walking dead was easier, as yes, they use the universe of the comics, but their characters are their own. Instead in Fables, they have to stay consistent with 2000+ pages of comics, as the episodes serves as a canon prequel to the comics. So that's not really true either.

Nekrosis

Literate
Those are great news. I really enjoyed the first "The Walking Dead" game and I'm a big fan of Point&Click Adventures in general. Ok Granted, the Walking dead was more than a usual P&C Adventure but I think it still fits into this genre discription. Futhermore I'm a big fan of The Game of Thrones series and novels AND I played Borderlands 2 alot. Actually Tiny Tina is my favourite ingame character of all times. Looking forward to both!!! ;)

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Due to that it's basically all Telltale will make from now on. They found a sizable market of retards willing to pay for such 'games' so why not?

Precisely. TWD's glowing reviews and positive reception pretty much ensure Telltale will be reluctant to deviate from the established path of success. We might as well kiss Sam&Max as we know it goodbye at this point.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I don't blame Telltale for the new QTE Choose Your Own Adventure Game™ mold that they now use, because that is what the Publishers want, AND it is financially successful for them.

Just don't fuck up future Sam and Max games with that shit.

Hopefully they let that license travel on down the way.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Because this new style is obviously their focus, and I don't want to see Sam and Max done that way. If another company that does more traditional adventure games gets the license they might do something awesome.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Precisely. The odds of seeing another true adventure game from Telltale again are nonexistent.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Didn't they also get the King's Quest license ? Just wait, for the new, edgy knight Graham to QTE his way to the throne.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Not sure what they mean with battles, do they plan to add some RTS element to it? Also, i agree with the above posters, Telltale is anything but an adventure game developer these days.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
They lost the license for the very same reason they are going to get rid of Sam&Max one day. They'd have felt compelled to do an adventure game with King's Quest, god forbid.

There is nothing fundamentally wrong with new genres and I loved the Walking Dead ; what bugs me to no end is the fact that just because something sells better, the other good stuff has to disappear. It's like if they stopped doing books the very day someone invented movies.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There is nothing fundamentally wrong with new genres

Yeah, no.

Prime examples: 90's Rise of the CD ("700MB? Holy shit, what are we going to use that on?" "I have an idea, my brother in law is an amateur actor...") FMV games; Tell Tale's New Shit

Still gonna buy Tales from the Borderlands because I am retarded

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There is nothing wrong with new genres but really Telltale's games are shallow even for what they are. How about some real c&c and branching narratives?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There are games that do it better than the Walking Dead. Like the Witcher 2.

RPGMaster

Savant
GoT seems like the right fit or Telltale as recently they seem to have swapped gameplay for swearing.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
They lost the license for the very same reason they are going to get rid of Sam&Max one day. They'd have felt compelled to do an adventure game with King's Quest, god forbid.
They don't own any rights to Sam & Max -- those belong to the creator, Steve Purcell.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
There is nothing fundamentally wrong with new genres and I loved the Walking Dead ; what bugs me to no end is the fact that just because something sells better, the other good stuff has to disappear. It's like if they stopped doing books the very day someone invented movies.

I haven't played The Walking Dead, but yeah this exactly. Hollywood does it too, they go in fad phases and pretend everything else is dead forever. Then someone with the tiniest bit of common sense and talent makes a new thing like the old thing and everyone acts stunned it can still have an audience. So infuriating.

DeepOcean

Arcane

I haven't played The Walking Dead, but yeah this exactly. Hollywood does it too, they go in fad phases and pretend everything else is dead forever. Then someone with the tiniest bit of common sense and talent makes a new thing like the old thing and everyone acts stunned it can still have an audience. So infuriating.
I really think the problem is that many suits have zero imagination and are scared to death of trying something different and be the guy responsible for a big loss in the company, so they follow the fads and pretend that nothing else can work more to excuse their asses for lack of innovation than anything to do with reality.

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
Eh, why? Sam & Max was always a classic adventure game franchise. It wouldn't be of any benefit to Telltale to adopt an established IP meant for classic adventure games when they could work with any new property they choose to that doesn't have classic adventure games made after it, and so far they've only announced working with new IPs after TWD's success.
Just like how they kept sequels faithful in Thief,Fallout,Syndicate,X-Com(FPS version mostly),Sim City, Dungeen Keeper and many more franchises, Right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom