Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Temple of the Abyssal Winds

geoffdunbar

Merry Prankster Games
Developer
Hi Codex readers,

The management approved my PR style announcement, so here you go. Enjoy!

Temple of the Abyssal Winds is now available, for iPad and Windows!

Twenty years ago, the demoness Urgoroth rose to power from the depths of the Temple of the Abyssal Winds. She was defeated, but your parents were lost in the conflict. Your aunt and uncle have raised you in the small village of Tomm's Crossing, where life has been mostly peaceful. Until now…

So begins the classic-style role-playing game Temple of the Abyssal Winds. Features:
  • Epic fantasy adventure.
  • Single player, controlling a band of adventurers.
  • Real-time pauseable combat for realism and control.
  • A combination of open-ended exploration and strong story driven plot.
  • Tactically challenging encounters featuring many different strategies.
  • Deep, complex role-playing system, inspired by popular paper-and-pencil role playing games.
  • Dozens of quests, enemies, and monsters to tackle.
  • Build the character you want to - dozens of skills and powers, and hundreds of spells and items.
Try the first chapter for free, which includes a full adventure and conclusion. If you like what you see, chapter 2 is available for purchase, with the following chapters 3 through 6 to come in 2015. Merry Prankster Games invites you into the world of Temple of the Abyssal Winds!

You can find more information, or download Temple of the Abyssal Winds for Windows, on the website:

http://www.prankster.com/totaw

For iPad, Temple of the Abyssal Winds is available in the App Store:

Merry Prankster Games is a one-man band indie development studio, started in 1995 making the play-by-email game Atlantis. For more information about Merry Prankster Games visit: http://www.prankster.com or email Geoff Dunbar at totaw@prankster.com.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Cool that the first episode is available for free, as a demo. I might give it a try on my netbook/tablet. Good luck with sales and further development.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It does look interesting; wish it was on Android. Why does ios get all the big releases?

Mustawd

Sooo... Anyone tried it ?

I'll let Agesilaus do the write up, but my own assessment is: "Don't waste your time as it is now".

-Combat is a crappy rtwp Implementation
-UI is pretty clunky and not optimized for the tablet
-Writing is bad and story is kind of random and makes little sense
-Combat animation is too quick and it becomes a game of hurry up and hit the pause button before the fast moving/sprinting enemy gets to you
-Pathfinding is crappy

The good:

-Axtually shows you some of the mechanics and RNG dice rolls
-Manual gives transparency to the mechanics
-You can tell the devs are trying here, but the controls are too frustrating to actually enjoy the gameplay.

TL;DR if the UI and combat animation improved then I'd say it might be worth trying again. As it stands, I'd rather play angry birds on my tablet.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Okay, I had more to do today than I thought, but I got around to playing it this evening.

Character creation looks promising. There are three character types, a fighter, a wizard, and a talker. I made a wizard and dumped stats in intelligence and personality. After you do attributes, you have to pick skills; there's a fair bit of diversity, and certain areas of magic (like elemental) require you to first pick skill points in the lower areas of magic (energy and spirit). I made an elemental mage so I could summon stuff.

The game engine runs pretty smoothly and is easy to use. I think it looks good, but people born on this side of 2000 would probably hate the jerky animations and cheap looking 3d models.

The story starts with your uncle saying he has been called away, and that some great evil is coming. You have to prepare your things and get ready to go somewhere safe. After you do that, goblins attack and you beat them up. I stopped playing after that, so I didn't learn too much more.

The game begins to feel a tad rushed and on-rails once you leave your home. When you try to go into buildings, the game often just pops a window that says "there is nothing interesting inside". When you want to talk to a random person, it just says "the person has nothing interesting to say to you". When you do talk to the blacksmith and witch, you'll notice that the game does not have enough art assets; different items share the same icon (axe, greataxe, battleaxe, and the magical versions all share the same icon, for example; all armour has the same icon, too).

At the end of my 30 minutes or so with the game, I'd say it wasn't a total waste of time. Not the greatest game, but what is? If you enjoy Baldur's Gate style RTWP combat, and you aren't obsessed with graphics, then you may as well try the demo. I will play it again if somebody says the story gets better, but I have my eye on other titles and work is keeping me busy.

geoffdunbar

Merry Prankster Games
Developer
Hi Codex readers,

Management says it's OK to post my PR-style indie-RPG announcement here, so here you go. Enjoy!

Temple of the Abyssal Winds Chapter 3: Expedition into the Temple is now available, for Windows and iPad!

TotAW_3_title.jpg

Before you, in a valley long forgotten, stand the ruins of the Temple of the Abyssal Winds. The depths of the Temple must contain the demoness Urgoroth, threat to your home and country, as well as secrets of your family past, and your kidnapped uncle. Now, into the Temple!

Continue your adventure into the classic-style role-playing game of Temple of the Abyssal Winds. Chapter 3: Expedition into the Temple is available for purchase now: on Windows, visit the website to purchase chapter 3, and on iPad, purchase chapter 3 as an in-app purchase.

If you are new to Temple of the Abyssal Winds, chapter 1 is free to download and play for both platforms. Start there, and then move through chapters 2 and 3, with chapter 4 through 6 scheduled for release in 2015. Merry Prankster Games invites you into the world of Temple of the Abyssal Winds!

You can find more information, or download Temple of the Abyssal Winds for Windows, on the website:

Merry Prankster Games is a one-man band indie development studio, started in 1995 making the play-by-email game Atlantis. For more information about Merry Prankster Games visit: http://www.prankster.com or email Geoff Dunbar at totaw@prankster.com.

geoffdunbar

Merry Prankster Games
Developer
Temple of the Abyssal Winds Chapter 4: The False Church is now available, for Windows and iPad!

TotAW_4_title.jpg

The Church of the Four Winds, infiltrated and corrupted by an evil cult and its demonic patroness. Oldenton, overrun by fiendish priests and false idolators. Return now to your homeland, and defend against the depravities of the Temple of the Abyssal Winds.

Continue your adventure into the classic-style role-playing game of Temple of the Abyssal Winds. Chapter 4: The False Church is available for purchase now: on Windows, visit the website to purchase chapter 4, and on iPad, purchase chapter 4 as an in-app purchase.

If you are new to Temple of the Abyssal Winds, chapter 1 is free to download and play for both platforms. Start there, and then move through chapters 2 through 4, with chapters 5 and 6 scheduled for release in 2015. Merry Prankster Games invites you into the world of Temple of the Abyssal Winds!

getter77

Augur
Might want to update that PR copy a tad, unless you guys are actually somehow going to get out Chapters 5 and 6 within the last month and change of 2015 when it took a few months for Chapter 4 alone? I mean, that'd be great if you guys can get the entire thing all neatly done up in time for the year's end but...

geoffdunbar

Merry Prankster Games
Developer
Might want to update that PR copy a tad, unless you guys are actually somehow going to get out Chapters 5 and 6 within the last month and change of 2015 when it took a few months for Chapter 4 alone? I mean, that'd be great if you guys can get the entire thing all neatly done up in time for the year's end but...

2015 does seem optimistic, doesn't it? Early 2016 seems more realistic, certainly for Chapter 6. I'm working on it as fast as I can!

Thanks,
Geoff

geoffdunbar

Merry Prankster Games
Developer
Temple of the Abyssal Winds is now complete, with all 6 chapters available for Windows and iPad! The release of Chapter 5: The Caverns of the Four Winds, and Chapter 6: The Chamber of the Four Winds, brings to a conclusion the full adventure.

TotAW_6_title.jpg

At last, confront the demoness Urgoroth in the very nucleus of her power, the Chamber of the Four Winds. Defeat her, and free the Timberhills from her threat once and for all; fail, and she is sure to rise again.

Conclude your adventure in the classic-style role-playing game of Temple of the Abyssal Winds. All 6 chapters are now available, with the release of Chapter 5: The Caverns of the Four Winds, and Chapter 6: The Chamber of the Four Winds. On Windows, visit the website to purchase chapters 5 and 6, and on iPad, purchase chapters 5 and 6 as in-app purchases.

If you are new to Temple of the Abyssal Winds, chapter 1 is free to download and play for both platforms. Start there, and then move through chapters 2 through 6, concluding with your confrontation of the demoness herself. Merry Prankster Games invites you into the world of Temple of the Abyssal Winds!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom