Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TERA Online beta registration

Gerrard

Arcane
Congratulations! You were selected to bolster our troops on the Island of Dawn!
This key enables you to take part in the upcoming closed beta weekend from 17. to 19. February.

:yeah:
I think I'm gonna do a short LP for you BROs. ;)

EDIT: No, I probably won't even be able to play the fucking game, since the download is insane 24 GB! My haushuahsiausa BR internet wont be able to download that until the weekend...
Keep in mind that the test only runs from 15:00 to 00:00 (GMT+1) every day. The EU publisher really isn't making a very good impression of themselves so far.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Keep in mind that the test only runs from 15:00 to 00:00 (GMT+1) every day. The EU publisher really isn't making a very good impression of themselves so far.
Yeah, it seems a really weak beta....only a few hours of play for 2 days, then waiting 2 more weeks for another weekend...seems more to get player curious about the game than to beta test, especially since the game is already out in Korea.

Still, I'm trying to get all the files in time to play. Since it will be from 18-03:00 in my time, maybe I'll be able to. I'm almost sure the game won't be very good, but I can't ressit the urge to try the combat system and FINALLY playing a game that uses all of my PC graphics capabilities, and not a weak console port. Shame that I have to wait for an MMO for this...

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Okay, I tried most classes and finished the first zone (LV 11) with a character, and did some quests on the new map, so I think it's safe to post some impressions, that I will update if I find something new or someone asks something. I was gonna do a Let's Play, but I would die of MMO quest boredom LPing this.

Good things:

Combat: Is great! Not perfect, but is light-years beyond any MMO, and most action RPGs too (I'm looking at you, KoA). All classes play very differently, most enemies require different aproaches to kill (at least when you are low Lv), and the boss fight at the end of the "tutorial" showed how great can this combat system be. They managed to mix very well the standard MMO skills with a great focus on movement, dogding, blocking and carefully timing your attacks, much like Dark Souls. I would really love to see this becaming the new standard for MMOs.

Graphics: Absolutly amazing! I'm not a fan of the art style, with all the world looking cute, colorful and "bland JRPG-ish", but holy shit, the graphics is the best I ever saw. I have a i7 with a Nvidia GTX 460, and was able to play of Ultra Settings, with no lag or FPS slowdown. I was amazed, the view distance is masterfully handled to seem unlimited, the textures are really high res, the models are great, each race & sex is completly different and there are different animation for each class/race/sex combination (watch and learn SW:TOR).

Bad things:

Quests: SHIT. And I mean it. This game was sadly made "by coreans, for coreans" and it shows. My quest log says I did 127 quests until now, and ALL of them where either "gather X", "kill Y" or "talk to Z". And they are made to hold you up; you kill 10 lions for their tooth, deliver the quest, then another quest giver ask you to kill more 8 lions for their mane... besides, the lv requirment for quests is way high! You have to complete all the quests in one area and then grind a little to unlock the next quests! And writers must be cheap in Korea, as all the quests have fucking walls of bland RPG text, 5 boring paragraphs explaining how it's important for Mr. NPC that you go and kill 12 boars for him...

Controls/Interface: They are trying something really unique here, mixing FPS aiming crosshairs and "mouse-fire" with a third-person action-RPG combat, so it's expected that somethings don't work well. Swapping between "fight mode" (your mouse is the camera) and "menu mode" (standard cursor for use on menus and inventory) is weird, having a radar and a mini-map on screen at the same time is dumb, and even if you scale up the UI, some things like mouseover descriptions and quest text still stay the same minuscule size, killing my eyesight. Also, somethings are horribly placed in the menus, like crafting is in a weird place together with the guild menu and battleground ratings...it took me almost 2 hours to discover it.

TL;DR: Great graphics, great combat, everything else is bland or bad.

Honestly, If you fused this game with SW:TOR license, quests and dialogs, you would have the definetly WoW-killer. The way it is, is just an elaborate tech-demo to remind us how PC-exclusive titles can look good if people put a little effort on it...I got a beta key for 5 weekends but got bored on the first one. The combat is really fantastic, but having to grind for hours to get to a new zone with new enemies is frustrating...especially since there are A LOT of pallete swaps mobs that fight the same way.

Here are some screens I took of the game, to show how goddamn beatiful it is:

MPYRih.jpg

Leaving the first area of the game.

zG1cLh.jpg

Arriving at the capital city.

dfT0Uh.jpg

Cosplaying Geralt.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Question: Are the normal mobs that you have to grind interesting to fight (mandate you to dodge, aim, timing, etc.)?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Question: Are the normal mobs that you have to grind interesting to fight (mandate you to dodge, aim, timing, etc.)?
Answer: Yes. Even though you could kill the enemies on the first area just charging and attacking, you would end up losing too much health, that recovers slowly. Thus, the game motivates you to fight each mob seriously, or wait like 5 minutes between each kill.

Besides, it's THE only fun thing in the game to try your best against each enemy. Some enemies are easy to perfect-kill, as you learn to time their attacks, but most are well made, as they change their attack pattern randomly, and sometimes even fake an attack to get you off-guard.

What dissapoint is that the quests requires you to always be on the same lv as the mobs...so unless you abandon the quests and go foward on the map, the enemies never will be real "I kill you in 2-hits, so don't get hit" challenge...

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Thanks for the info, its pretty much what I expected, for me its waiting for GW2 to come out.

Gerrard

Arcane
You should've tried playing one character to the cap, because the real fun starts after 20. Also, further tests will increase the level cap.

And yeah, the font used for all the small text is shit, it's like everyone has huge monitors with low PPI. I had to scale up the UI and then scale down individual things to get it into a useable state.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
You should've tried playing one character to the cap, because the real fun starts after 20. Also, further tests will increase the level cap.
Yeah, I think I will keep playing, for I really want to see the dungeons, and they only start after Lv 20...(a dumb thing IMHO)

If anyone is curious about it, I would recomend trying one of the private servers or purchasing the 4,95 euro beta license and give it a try.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Honestly what you say about the mob AI makes me think it shouldn't be so much of a grind. On the other hand if they made it a grind despite the smarter AI... Well, there's Korean MMO devs for you.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Honestly what you say about the mob AI makes me think it shouldn't be so much of a grind. On the other hand if they made it a grind despite the smarter AI... Well, there's Korean MMO devs for you.
The cool & hard monsters like undead knights, ogres and basilisks, that have complex attack routines, are unique to each area; while the weak creatures that have like 2 attacks are recolored in all the areas. I can't stand killing mudmen anymore, they must be like 10% of all my kills, and almost every fight against then goes the same way...

Besides, the game expects you to do ALL the quests available and kill some additional mobs in the process, otherwise you won't be able to follow the "story" quests. Is weird, even Korean MMOs like Lineage 2 allowed you to take "red" or "orange" quests, that are hard for your level. Here, you can only take "white" ones. Even in the tutorial area, I killed the boss at Lv 10, then had to grind to Lv 11 to be able to leave!

Gerrard

Arcane
Are you playing in a group? I never had to kill extra monsters outside of quests to get to the next main quest when playing solo, maybe quest XP is split too.
Quests give way more XP than normal monsters on your level anyway, so simply grinding is pretty ineffective.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Are you playing in a group? I never had to kill extra monsters outside of quests to get to the next main quest when playing solo, maybe quest XP is split too.
Quests give way more XP than normal monsters on your level anyway, so simply grinding is pretty ineffective.
I'm playing most of it alone, IMHO the game loses all the fun of doing a perfect combat when you are in group...I only call other people to fight huge elite mobs, like the Basilisk. But I heard that you gain a Xp bonus by being on a group and one by being on a Guild, so I guess that explains much.

And I was talking about "grinding" with quests really, enemies alone give little experience, so you HAVE to take all of the quests, but since questing is just killing the enemies the game says, is pretty much grinding anyway. Especially since he ALWAYS ask for you to kill like 15 mudmen & moose recolors every area...

Gerrard

Arcane
Apparently you can now get EU keys by pre-ordering the game on amazon.de (which you can then cancel without having to pay anything). EU beta starts tomorrow.

You can also grab a key if you hang round the /vg/ threads, but that might cost you your sanity.

Repressed Homosexual
I played the beta. Wow this game is boring, it makes me want to die. The graphics are nowhere near as nice as I thought as well. Waiting for Guild Wars 2, and maybe playing some F2P Aion to tide me over when the North American F2P Aion goes live.

Graphics are fine, but having played several characters through the newbie island starter zone, I can safely say I will never play this game again.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
It was fun playing a Warrior or Slayer with a controller, since you can dodge around. And as a Slayer you get an early Knockdown skill, so you can KINDA chain together moves... Basically as an ez-mode hack and slash action game.

But yeah I dunno if I would buy. Aion is going F2P?!?

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I played the beta as a Mystic (since i prefer support classes) and found the combat to be incredibly boring, maybe if I played with some warrior class it could have been fun but I have no interest in that. When playing Mesmer in GW feels like an action movie compared to your gameplay you should know you are in trouble.

Aion EU is free to play, and Aion NA is going there.

Repressed Homosexual
My wife is a bit bored now that her semester is over, and she said she wanted to try one of these MMO things just once. She asked me what was new, and I said this game was just being released. She had a look at some screenshots for the absolutely gorgeous environments, and was sold. She made a female elf sorcerer and has been playing for a while. I made a lancer and played for a short while as well.

I had been too hard on this game. Sure, it is insipid, and the art style is pretty horrendous and an incoherent mess (like all Korean fantasy seems to be), but the combat system really has a lot of merit and is much more enjoyable than most boring skill refreshing garbage found in most other MMOs. All in all a fun slasher, although it's way too easy. I hope it gets way harder at higher levels. I had fun when going to the later zones when I wasn't supposed to be there yet.

Most of all, the environments for this game just have to be seen. Arenanet has much better artists, but from a technical point of view, and as far as the sheer wow factor is concerned, no other game even gets close to this. I've read that a fortune has been invested in environmental asset creation, and it shows.

The battle system, while interesting at first, because incredibly monotonous after a while. I got completely burnt out during the Beta, and have no intention of playing the game when it launches. I think GW2 manages to do everything better than this game, including class variety, combat, PvP, and PvE. The only thing I truly enjoyed in TERA was the Warrior class, because it was actually quite different than most MMORPG classes. Once that novelty wore off, quickly found myself without a reason to play.

Vicissitudes

Augur
Patron
I got to level 25 and probably going to stop right there. I thought different kind of combat would be enough for me to grind till the endgame pvp but daaaamn the setting, not funny sexism in design, over the top seriousness with hero's journey mixed with pointless animal hunting and gathering herbs around towns, and all other MMO horrible, horrible shit. I have no idea how this can get positive comments - it's basically candy high fantasy dipped in vomit inducing Korean manga sauce! THE HORROR. And PVP on PVP server is also crap - the only difference between PVE and PVP server is you CAN flag yourself on the latter for 60 sec to fight...

As someone already said - SWTOR setting with Tera's combat would be a killer...

Gerrard

Arcane
Only difference between PvE and PvP server is that you can kill other people? No shit? What the fuck would you want?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom