Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Terran Shield: Edge of the Abyss - X-COM: Terror from the Deep spiritual successor

_Arhaeus_

Arcane
Developer
Thanks for the Underrail suggestion! I didn't know about that game. It has awaken in me the nostalgia of the old Fallout, deep and complex. At least in the first part that I played.

You can make suggestions about what you like and want from a TBS game, here or on Terran Shield forum. I will try to analyze and take into consideration all of them. We are in the development phase where we can add and modify a lot of things, from game mechanics to graphic.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You can make suggestions about what you like and want from a TBS game, here or on Terran Shield forum. I will try to analyze and take into consideration
Do we have options to customize aquanauts in terms of appearance, name etc.? Will we be forced to use the crew members you've already highlighted?

PanteraNera

Arcane
Why will you not release the game-design-document?

We won’t release the game-design-document mainly to avoid spoilers about the story, alien types and their synergies, weapons and equipment. You will know all about the aliens that we plan to put in the beta version. Right now we plan to have the Jellyfish scout, Ka-Um-La and Ud’Glee, maybe 1-2 more, we will see.

Would you be willing to release a game-design-document-light, without the story and alien types? I am asking as in my humble opinion it would give potential customers a solid overview with were you will be going. Often kickstarters do lack in detail and people make wrong assumptions as there is room for it in the first place. That can potentially generated backlash.
I am looking forward to the game, like I said cautiously :bounce:

_Arhaeus_

Arcane
Developer
Do we have options to customize aquanauts in terms of appearance, name etc.? Will we be forced to use the crew members you've already highlighted?
The name is changeable, the appearance it is on the list, but somewhere at the end. There are many gameplay mechanics and features like more diverse environment objects, or the possibility of fire propagation on the map that are more important to implement first.
The initial aquanaut team is optional, you can choose them at the start of the game from a pool of faces ans starting attributes. It is advisable to choose at least 2 aquanauts with mental powers, they lead the squads and give them a morale bonus. Later they are essential to the missions success, with their metal control and mental reading (in Terran Shield you can read from the alien's minds their tactical orders, mission objectives, or even alien base locations, from commanders).
In the generic aquanaut squad, Tina Stenk and Ana Velkova are in field commanders and psychics and they have each 5 aquanauts under their command. Due to tactical reasons, you have better chances of success with 2 teams rather then going with all aquanauts in a cluster. But you can experiment and group them as you like. For the underwater aquanaut's team the maximum number is 24 right now (12 for each war room of the Squid, it has one war room on each side). This number could change during development, but we want it to be as high as possible, because the aliens will be in high numbers as well.

We can release a light game design document, but will be a lot of work to select the relevant information for players (you gain nothing from knowing the foliage density on a small map, or the number of idle animation for certain alien) and to hide the sensitive lore related stuff. For us it is much more easy to answer to specific questions and write in the site news page about important game features. We are a small team and writing, sorting and preparing stuff, usually means no time for making the game.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, maybe you could have an faq set up with the questions people ask you, instead of worrying over the design doc.

PanteraNera

Arcane
We can release a light game design document, but will be a lot of work to select the relevant information for players (you gain nothing from knowing the foliage density on a small map, or the number of idle animation for certain alien) and to hide the sensitive lore related stuff. For us it is much more easy to answer to specific questions and write in the site news page about important game features. We are a small team and writing, sorting and preparing stuff, usually means no time for making the game.
Well, maybe you could have an faq set up with the questions people ask you, instead of worrying over the design doc.
Well ERYFKRAD is right, if it is to much of a hassle just do a really good FAQ.
Thanks for your straight answers by the way, much appreciated!

Cael

Arcane
A turn based Apocalypse would be pretty good. A lot of the physics engine in Apocalypse was unique to it (collapsing buildings, walkways and the like, support structures, etc.). Few games have really matched it. The visual representation of the individual units and vehicles is pretty good as well, although the global vehicle limit really killed it (the more vehicles you had, the less UFOs can appear, which makes for an interesting problem where UFOs stop appearing after week 4 or 5 if you played with hoverbike swarm).

The Apocalypse AI is a lot better than the TFTD and EU AI, and the fact that you can end up fighting in the bowels of buildings makes for a pretty tense battlescape. Personally, I love Apocalypse more than TFTD, which I found to be tedious in the extreme. EU was nice only because I started modding it.

I hope that you are going to allow autofire and less tedious weapons in Terran Defence. The weapons was what killed TFTD for me. Single shot, low ammo count, nigh invulnerable enemies. Plinking away at enemies for 30mins is no fun.

_Arhaeus_

Arcane
Developer
A always considered that Apocalypse has one of the most revolutionary games of his time, TU or real time, prowling movement, the aliens that infected and metamorphose themselves in the hidden location of buildings, the aliens AI etc...
The main problem it had it was the rush to deliver the game, that lead to the Toxine B and C problem, they were op and made the game much too easy.
Will have autofire, just bring enough amunition on your soldiers! :)

We have now a FAQ page, more answers will follow soon: http://www.terran-shield.com/faq/faq.htm

And also a subscribe to newsletter page here: https://community.terran-shield.com/newsletter/

Cael

Arcane
A always considered that Apocalypse has one of the most revolutionary games of his time, TU or real time, prowling movement, the aliens that infected and metamorphose themselves in the hidden location of buildings, the aliens AI etc...
The main problem it had it was the rush to deliver the game, that lead to the Toxine B and C problem, they were op and made the game much too easy.

We have now a FAQ page, more answers will follow soon: http://www.terran-shield.com/faq/faq.htm

And also a subscribe to newsletter page here: https://community.terran-shield.com/newsletter/
Any of the toxin was absurd because it went straight through shields. Towards the end, when the Cult was running around in alien shields, I had my guys pump them full of Toxin A until they drowned and harvested the shields.

I will definitely be following this one with interest.

Grif

Learned

Any of the toxin was absurd because it went straight through shields. Towards the end, when the Cult was running around in alien shields, I had my guys pump them full of Toxin A until they drowned and harvested the shields.

That just means it's prestigious to play without toxins and use only energy/ballistic weapons. Who needs energy shields when you toss in five alien grenades?

lightbane

Arcane
It seems in this game your units start with actually advanced and fanciful gear, instead of dive suits and repurposed hunting tools.

Cael

Arcane

That just means it's prestigious to play without toxins and use only energy/ballistic weapons. Who needs energy shields when you toss in five alien grenades?
You wasteful, wasteful thing...! Stun gas, walk over, pick up the shields, THEN shoot them with devastators or disruptors while they are asleep on the ground...

_Arhaeus_

Arcane
Developer
It seems in this game your units start with actually advanced and fanciful gear, instead of dive suits and repurposed hunting tools.
We don't stand a chance in current diving gear both in depth and in the amount of time that a diver can stay underwater, so the aquanaut gear and capabilities are mandatory. However, the early weapons are weak like in TftD. They work vs Ka-um-la, but don't try to use them vs an Ud'glee because it will tear your team apart in no time.
We will have the toxic damage and toxic weapons, but they won't be overpowered like they were in Apocalypse. In fact Ud'glee is almost immune to toxic damage and also to sonic damage.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't like diving, sorry.

Is there a way to just deploy small robot submarines to do all the fighting?

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Looks surprisingly good.

I already like the impression of depth of the water, the blue etc, the crisp graphics and a setting that I would love.

Getting such a game done however is not easy, so I would think hard how you could find shortcuts without creating another linear fastfood game.

_Arhaeus_

Arcane
Developer
We launch a series of gameplay story-driven demo episodes with the new game features as we implement them. Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom