Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Terraria

Dire Roach

Prophet
Those fuckers promised hundreds of hours of gameplay for $10 but they only provided enough content to last me about 50 hours.

I wish we'd get screwed over Terraria-style more often.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I rather clearly recall one of the devs stating that the game would be supported for a very long time, as in, multiple years, and that this was the reason there would be no need for modding support. It was a rather important point to me at the time, since the game still had very little content at the time (I don't think the jungle was even in yet for example) and I didn't really want to shell out 10$ for the existing game. I'm not sure whether it was stated in a forum post or a video however, or possibly even in some part of the site which has since been deleted.

It struck me as a completely viable promise to keep, considering how simple the game is to add content to. It does not take 50 hours to add a new enemy or item. Even a boss shouldn't take that long. It struck me as something that could be done in his spare time for around maybe ~5-10 hours a week, and it was something he wanted to do, since he was so excited about the game and wanted to add tons and tons of content.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
In a world filled with shit games you're really crusading against the wrong one.

Damned Registrations

Well nobody has been singing the praises of SoaSE lately and I haven't shelled out money for any of the trash people are talking about, so what am I supposed to be complaining about?

Besides, it's a matter of opportunity. Even if someone made an exact Terraria clone and started building on it from there, it wouldn't be successful at all by comparison, and the devs of that game wouldn't have the same kind of freedom to work on it because they'd lack funding. It'll be years before another game like it gets made, and it'll probably be significantly different (quite possibly worse, probably made for cellphones) in some way or another. So it's much more of a problem to me if a potentially great game gets fucking shelved than if another shitty game gets cranked out predictably. I don't give a fuck about the hundreds of shit RTS games that have come out over the years, but the fact that SC2's custom map setup and engine in general is such utter shit pisses me off greatly, because it was a perfect opportunity to move all the best custom games made in Starcraft and WC3 onto a new, better engine. Instead, the engine is worse in many ways and the community is pretty much dead, and not likely to come back any time soon, if ever.

Achilles

Arcane
It's not an issue of getting your money's worth. It's a matter of getting what you were being sold. If I pay for an apple and I get an orange instead, I got my money's worth- but I didn't get the fucking apple and I'm not going to try buying one again, regardless of how much I like oranges or value them.

Fair enough, I see your point.

Interesting

Educated
At first I was like, wow, why these stupid fucks are raging about Terraria.
Then I saw post #208 http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/terraria-2d-minecraft.58638/page-9#post-1972536

I agree with them wholeheartedly.
Dude does not have the right to finish his game or call quits. Thats why its ok to throw bricks on him and stain his name forever and ever untill the ends of time and make sure to spread the word.

It doesnt take a genius to figure out that the majority of Terraria sales were sold under the expectation of continuous indie development. Now the creator bailed out. Some people bought it and were like wow, this is going to become a MMO, the guy is going to add levels and stats and remake the character progression and add time travel and dimensions and (insert reasonable expectations created by the creator, game content progression and community) this and that... aaaaand
"Its finished". ? WHAT ?
"Its finished. Thanks everyone. Its was a nice ride, check this other game here"

Thanks redigit and releaselog and/or torrent-finds (dont remember now) for this great indie game. Ive spent a hundred hours on it. Was waiting for the game to take shape to buy it. Yeah. Really.
Cant wait to see the next indie game to advert "Buy it now and all future updates will be for free!!!" and then we will all think of Terraria episode "For free, untill you quit in an year".

Funny how its dead. Playing it feels like a waste of time. It subjective value and entertainment provided by it imediatly went down. Its dead.
Before it was ALIVE. A living thing. It was organic. People were playing and caring about it. Giving feedback. Things were changing, evolving. People felt part of it. Dumping their hopes and dreams. Recommending the game to others. Word of mouth. "This guy deserves it. Unlike Notch he trully delivers updates. We are impressed! Go buy it now!" ALL CRUSHED. RICKROLLED is how people feel about it. "Wait, I bought the game last month, what do you mean its finished." HAHAHAHA. I can already foresee the flash parodies that will come out of it. Now its dead. Servers will be deactivated, community will scather, the dust will settle. The driving feeling for this change of heart "Why should I bother? Its dead".

This decision was an afterthought. The guy does not have the deep vision of its repercussions. A shot in the foot. It will cost him. You do not canibalize your community like that. You can skin a sheep many times, but butcher it, only once. If there is anything of value besides the sales money, its your community, how many individual ips are following you.
Redigit's thoughts
"Erhmm... no more updates, I think Ive sold the bulk of what it would sell under that false premise, so the promise of more sells is not good enough for my continuing time and effort. Like hell Im going to keep working for the people who already bought it, since more sells are have dried out. And are you fucking kidding me? NO WAY Im going to release source code or work my ass off to release mod tools. I can still sell the rights for over 6 digits! A BIG FUCK YOU TO YOU ALL. But Im going to be diplomatic about it and post a discrete message on the forum about it."

Indie games were reaching its peak, cool games made by one man or a small team selling millions of copies through viral advertisement and now we see what happens... The decline does not discrimine It comes for AAA companies and indie companies alike.
Being a costumer, lis like being a cattle or a prisoner. But thats life, right? Please continue.

And no, its not about the $5 or $10 some people spent, or the ones who pirated it and how many hours did they get out of the game. The $/hours worth is irrelevant. Once you create something and share with others, it no longer belongs to you. The right to quit the project on thousands of unsatisfied consumers, more than just consumers, followers, fans.

Its just like the fox and the little prince relationship. And the people's reaction to it are easily understandable. Its not about the Redigit. The guy himself is easily replaceable on the context. They just dont want Terraria to die/end, thus the requests for mod support and source code crys... "you motherfucker promised updates and now you finish the project. No way jose, you can die for all we care, but dont fucking let us without a way to update/evolve/develop Terraria by ourselfs" Whats even more funny is that other developers are offering themselfs to administer/maintain it. The feeling is that it belongs to the community now. "You said future updates, if you quit from the project, its not our problem, the game remains with future updates".

Multi-headed Cow

Why don't we go string up Notch first, I'll get behind that angry mob.

Gord

Arcane
While looking for something else, I somehow stumbled upon some news that there's a PC update for Terraria comming. :eek:
ETA is around June, the update is said to be pretty large. It's independend from the console ports of the gme done by 505Games.

You can find some info here and here.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
Well, yeah, Terraria at least has a thing called gameplay, while Minecraft does not. It's just a sand box for fags building your house and giant sculptures of justin bieber.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
THOSE LYING CONNIVING BASTARDS! I THOUGHT THEY ABANDONED THIS GAME. FUCKING SCAMMERS.
NEVER AGAIN.

SON OF A BITCH.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
dig deep.
all the way down.
all. the way. down.
to hell.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
Find the fucking swamp. Worse than hell.

Damned Registrations

Also, look for treasure chests. And shadow orbs. And a dungeon. And some other stuff I won't spoil.

Gord

Arcane
Explore, find better ore, craft better equipment, use it to get even better stuff, kill baddies, build a nice castle, fool around.

Gerrard

Arcane
Q: Will their be a sequel to Terraria?
A: Yes, Redigit has said he will work on a sequel once he stops updating the original.
Looks like he spent that money faster than he expected.

Damned Registrations

Terraria has shit to find though. Minecraft does not. It's just an empty chunk of mudball.

It could use about 4-5 times as much non ore based content though.

Gerrard

Arcane
I think even the first release of Terraria had more content than Minecraft did some 6 months ago, not to mention now. "Mods will fix it!" does not count.

Turjan

Arcane
Eh, I didn't follow the development of Terraria, so I never had any expectations to be squashed. I bought it at one point for $2.50 and had lots of fun with it. The game has much more to offer than is visible at the start. Great stuff. One of my better purchases.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
Well, I started playing this and did my first shelter and got to dig some time until I got gold ore. Is there something more to do besides this?

I made an purple-jumpsuited gold-shoed afro-sporting black man named DaShawn Johnson. I immediately looked for a good multiplayer server, and discovered one where the server owner had spent hours in the game doing what was necessary to get the best equipment available, and had it proudly displayed in the house he built. Unfortunately for him, I wanted to play DaShawn properly.

DaShawn proceeded to build a large monument in the shape of a cock, and stole every powerful item he could get his hands on before escaping the server.

IT'S NOT GRIEFING IF YOU USE LARP AS AN EXCUSE.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom