Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Terraria

Multi-headed Cow

Yeah. I'll probably dick with 1.2 at some point, maybe not at launch, but if/when I do I most likely won't go into hard mode because fuck that. The hard mode bosses just weren't any fun and it ramped the grinding up quite a bit. I did hear he was rejiggering hard mode in this patch though so maybe it's better now.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I only played Terraria for the first time about 2 months ago, and I only have one serious problem with the game: How The Guide "teaches" you about items and the complete lack of a journal. For example you show him an item, and he shows you all the things you can make with it. If I want to see this again, I have to show him the item again. Also, special requirements are never mentioned, you're just supposed to figure it out on your own that you will need a Hellforge to make any items that use Hellstone, or whatever the ore is called you get in the Underworld.

There are a lot of things in this game that you can only learn via trial or error. Not even a smidgeon of a hint is provided for several circumstances that will either kill you outright, or screw you over big time.

Last edited:

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
I only played Terraria for the first time about 2 months ago, and I only have one serious problem with the game: How The Guide "teaches" you about items and the complete lack of a journal. For example you show him an item, and he shows you all the things you can make with it. If I want to see this again, I have to show him the item again. Also, special requirements are never mentioned, you're just supposed to figure it out on your own that you will need a Hellforge to make any items that use Hellstone, or whatever the ore is called you get in the Underworld.

There are a lot of things in this game that you can only learn via trial or error. Not even a smidgeon of a hint is provided for several circtumstances that will either kill you outright, or screw you over big time.

They need to add a book drop from him that gives all the info if he gets killed, that way your first night is spent on a perch above him waiting for the zombies to kill him so you can grab his guidebook and wall him inside a room once you build one for him.

Or to make him semi-useful, a recipe to make an empty book and whenever you find an item and show it to him you note down the recipes within.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I messed around for a bit. Looks like they added a lot of stuff to default/normal mode including a snow/ice biome, new ore, new crafting machines, etc. Don't really feel like getting into it now, though.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They also seemed to have improved the graphics/textures/lighting so that could be it.

Dire Roach

Prophet
Been waiting a while for this update.:bounce:

It seems like iron deposits in a new map could be lead instead? Not sure if it's just bad luck but I'm having a hard time finding either, I've only found very small amounts of lead so far and no iron.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I messed around for a bit. Looks like they added a lot of stuff to default/normal mode including a snow/ice biome, new ore, new crafting machines, etc. Don't really feel like getting into it now, though.

I believe the snow biome's been there for a while but only showed up around Christmas before.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
There is that Christmas one but this is an entirely different/new snow biome with new enemies, an ungderground, textures, frost chests, etc.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Played for about an hour just now. While I was disappointed that the interface hasn't changed in the slightest except for adding the minimap, I was relieved to find how seamlessly everything fits. Smashing at bricks with the hammer, for example, changes them from full brick to half-brick to inclining brick to declining brick and back to full brick. It feels like it's been there the entire time.

Also, there's a big-ass tree made of dirt to the east of my starting position. Very strange.

Zombies come in more varieties now. There's a zombie who's been pincushined with arrows that drops the arrows when killed, and a zombie with a slime on his head that drops gel when killed.

Will defintely spend more time with this in the foreseeable future.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
A lot of little details added. Seems like the best way to approach it is start from scratch.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
That's what I did. My previous playthrough had just recently unlocked Hard Mode, and with so many changes looming I just started from scratch.

AND I'M WEARING WOOD ARMOUR. FEAR ME, BITCHES!

Turjan

Arcane
Yup, changes looked nice enough with my low level char. Nevertheless, I'm also thinking of starting over.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Thinking of starting from scratch with advanced tools (nothing hardmode-fancy, just molten pickaxes and hamaxes or whatever) to lesson the painful grind of spending ten seconds chopping through each individual stone block, and quality-of-life items like cloud in a bottle and grappling hook. Will probably dump armour and such.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Once again the Eye of Cthulhu gangraped me when I was ill-prepared. I was in the middle of making a a bow and some arrows when he attacked!

And the Brain of Cthulhu (replaces the Eater of Worlds with the Crimson) utterly obliterated me twice in a row...

The second time, my screen turned upside down relatively early on, and I took over 300 points of fall damage.
Those underground crimson chambers are huge...

Be sure to prepare a proper arena. You don't get any nice toys such as the Vilethorn from the drops...

terraria.jpg

My shelter's all set!
I'd like to think I've clown-proofed it from the get go, but who knows what terrors await in 1.2...

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Seems like a ton of what was added was relatively trivial fluff/cosmetic changes. Like the different varieties of chests, or the fact that sky islands now have their own building blocks, instead of using silver/gold/copper bricks. Though it does look nice. I got a hold of a Starfury sword, it's much more useful now, it doesn't cost mana. Killed skeletron with it, the dungeon looks a lot nicer as well. Still haven't found anything really useful though. Some neat grappling shoes accessories that let you slide down walls, but I got it after the grappling hook (which drops way more often now) so they're worthless.

There's also a ton of new npcs cluttering up my buildings. I don't need a fucking dye maker god damnit.

New ore/items seems mostly pointless. Lead is the same as silver and iron in terms of strength, tungsten is so rare I doubt I'll make anything with it ever, it's easier to get demonite. Ropes were a neat addition, pity I got the grappling hook right after realizing how to use them. There's some ice biome stuff too (ice skates) but seems pointless since it'd be more effort to go through looking for ice chests than to just access the dungeon/meteors. Same problem the jungle items had. The game really suffers from how easy it is to bypass areas and move from one end of the map to the other at a whim.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
One problem that solved itself automatically for me was scoring some tin early on. I was finding small deposits here and there, but nothing to be of any use. Then I decided to go for a walk on the surface.

I've barely walked three screen lenghts than I've found five chests, and three of them had like 8 tin bars. Clearly "down" is NOT the starting direction to go into.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
It was for me. I've been to the oceans at either end, found only 2 holes down that weren't corruption, ice, or jungle. Haven't found any tin, iron, or tungsten deposits. All my ore is from running silt through a new machine.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
There is now a rocket launcher that can destroy blocks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom