Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Terraria

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
I regret making a large world, it takes so long to get anywhere and find anything worthwhile, I haven't even finished my hellevator.
And for some reason it seems to be enough to put .NET under constant memory pressure...

Heh, yeah - It's more for large MP servers than for SP/MP with a few buddies.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Went through the jungle temple and killed the boss a few times. It was a cool concept, but dissapointingly easy- the boss you have to fight to even access it was far more difficult. I've also found a fair amount of new loot, but still nothing that beats my Scourrge of the Corruptor. Closest competition was probably the pirahna gun. There was also a decent gun that dropped from the temple boss, but it has extremely limited ammo and what could I possibly need it for? Terra Blade was very dissapointing considering the massive amount of work that went into making the fucking thing, they could at least make it autoswing like the muramasa. Still haven't found any worthwhile magic. In fact, the only new magic I've gotten at all is that trident thing the hardmode devils fire at you. Except the version I get fires way more slowly and does half the damage. Yay. Oh, and those wizard staffs you can make, but those suck balls.

I'll probably stop now. There's accessories I could work towards making, and more loot I could hope to find make (I'm curious about the shroomite, but I have no idea how to get an autohammer) but there doesn't seem to be anything remotely challenging left to do so it feels rather pointless.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's more of a game for completionists who want to collect everything, build houses, and whatnot. And while he added a truckload of content (more than even the last update) a good 75% of it is geared towards people who hadn't progressed to hard mode yet. If you've never played Terraria before now is a good time to pick it up.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Went through the jungle temple and killed the boss a few times. It was a cool concept, but dissapointingly easy- the boss you have to fight to even access it was far more difficult.

On the contrary, the boss is optional.
All you have to do is purchase 2 teleporters from the steampunk guy, wire them up, and you're in!

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
And while he added a truckload of content (more than even the last update) a good 75% of it is geared towards people who hadn't progressed to hard mode yet.

Which is why you might as well start from scratch.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Now THAT was a fun moment. I was mucking about underground in the Ice Biome (easily the safest biome in Terraria) when I came across a machine called an Extractinator, which said "Insert Silt and Slush" (Slush is the Ice-equivalent of Silt).

So I lugged the machine home and put in a few units of Slush.

And watched as the machine started churning out money, ore and precious gemstones.

Eureka.

Another trip into the Ice Biome, and this time I made sure to grab every unit of Slush I could find. Later I returned to the Extractinator with about 800 units of Slush and started feeding it all into the machine.

Imagine sitting in Las Vegas with a truck full of dirt, feeding it into the slot machines and getting winnings in return. That's what it feels like to feed the Extractinator. I got all kinds of ore (just the basic ones, but even the ones that are normally not available), quite a bit of money, and precious gemstones all the way up to diamonds.

So my advice is: Save your silt and slush! It's a untapped faucet of goodies.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Yeah that thing is pretty über early on, especially since silt is so fast to mine.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Here's something I discovered quite by accident:

# Create a male with Hair #16. (The bald one)
# Make his pants yellow, the colour of his other clothes is mostly irrelevant.
# Once in-game, make a pair of Goggles and put them in the Fashion slot so that they're always visible.
# Get a Rain Coat and put it in the Fashion slot. (Zombies drop them during Rain Storm events.)
# (Optional) Get Rain Pants and put them in the last remaining Fashion Slot.

Result: You now strongly resemble Walter White about to cook up some shit.

EDIT: I'm really tired of Win 7 deciding to select a piece of text I'm writing and them deleting it with a keystroke. Missing info added.

Last edited:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
So, would you say that large worlds are mainly for multiplayer and not for solo? Is medium recommended for solo play?

Damned Registrations

I'd say small. IIRC the number of sky islands and chests and so forth doesn't even scale with map size; they just get spread out more. Not a big deal when you have people to share stuff with so everything gets found and duplicates get traded, but it's ass for solo play when you need to mine thousands of tiles to find a chest. Larger maps are basically so that there's enough ore to make armor for 5 people instead of running into peak gold or whatever the fuck halfway through and having some poor fuck unable to even make a pickaxe.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
So, would you say that large worlds are mainly for multiplayer and not for solo? Is medium recommended for solo play?

Right now i'm leveling up on a small world, since it's easier to get to the better ores and the Sky Islands, then i'll go to large once I have everything. Large maps will just devolve in to a time sink for solo players.

Dire Roach

Prophet
After starting a new character last Tuesday on a medium map, I think I'm done with the current content. Some thoughts:

-Spectre armor + inferno fork and/or magnet sphere = GG. Like Metro said, you can literally kill any boss just by standing still and shooting it till it dies.

-I found the twins to be the hardest boss currently in the game. Plantera and the golem seem to deal a lot less damage, are easier to hit, and can be more easily defeated with terrain exploits if necessary.

-Once you're done gearing up with an adamantite or titanium set, the game pretty much devolves into pure mob grinding. Though I guess that was already the case in 1.1; 1.2 intensifies it with the new jungle and dungeon mobs and their fancy rare drops.

-Crimson biome is much easier to navigate compared to corruption. Less tunnel entrances and fewer vertical shafts.

-Although it doesn't say in the descriptions, some wings provide a greater flight boost. According to my tests, ghost wings > jetpack > angel/demon wings.

-Magic builds are now easily available early in the game thanks to the craftable gem staves and robes. Starting with 20 mana and making the mana crystals require half as much fallen stars to craft also helps quite a bit.

-Hardmode bosses are auto-summoned way too often, too early.

-Solar eclipse is annoying as fuck.

-Terra blade is a huge disappointment.

-The giant trees can't be corrupted. Their wood blocks just stop the spread of corruption across the surface.

-Not sure if bugged but using flask of gold doesn't seem to make a noticeable difference in the amount of coins mobs drop. And yes, I used melee attacks to kill the mobs.

-I wish teleporters were wireless and had no maximum range.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
-Although it doesn't say in the descriptions, some wings provide a greater flight boost. According to my tests, ghost wings > jetpack > angel/demon wings.

I've noticed something similar with the Cloud in a Bottle item. I found a Blizzard in a Bottle and afterwards I noticed that I was jumping higher on the second jump for some reason. Need to test this to be certain.

-Magic builds are now easily available early in the game thanks to the craftable gem staves and robes. Starting with 20 mana and making the mana crystals require half as much fallen stars to craft also helps quite a bit.

I still didn't use magic in any sense until I got the Water Bolt spell from the Dungeon. There's a good chance you can get if from the surface part of the dungeon without having to beat Skeletron first. Maxing Mana out is stupidly easy now, but I was surprised how easy it is to find Life Crystals now, both in the Corruption and especially in the Ice Underground.

-Solar eclipse is annoying as fuck.

I've never seen this. Something to look forward to.

-The giant trees can't be corrupted. Their wood blocks just stop the spread of corruption across the surface.

Well, shit. There are four such trees in my map, and I just finished "uprooting" three of them. One of them even had a small underground segment, including a room with "Living Wood" furniture. I'm still banking on that clay will stop the corruption on Hard Mode, I've been stockpiling it just for that occasion.

-I wish teleporters were wireless and had no maximum range.

The fact that they aren't makes them kinda useless to me, IMO. What Terraria could use is the opposite of the Magic Mirror, something that sends you to a defined location other than your spawn point, even if it was just a set of basic locations like "Jungle" or "Hallow" or "Dungeon". ("1000 feet in the air" would also be good for a laugh.)

Dire Roach

Prophet

I've noticed something similar with the Cloud in a Bottle item. I found a Blizzard in a Bottle and afterwards I noticed that I was jumping higher on the second jump for some reason. Need to test this to be certain.
It's true, Blizzard in a Bottle is better than Cloud in a Bottle. Sandstorm in a Bottle is supposed to be even better. I found out about this too late, though. I was always using a Cloud despite having found several Blizzards because I thought they were all the same, like the Flurry Boots and Hermes Boots.

Well, shit. There are four such trees in my map, and I just finished "uprooting" three of them. One of them even had a small underground segment, including a room with "Living Wood" furniture. I'm still banking on that clay will stop the corruption on Hard Mode, I've been stockpiling it just for that occasion.
I think they stop corruption in the same way as if you had just placed three wood blocks horizontally across the surface of the dirt. I had two trees in my map but they didn't have underground rooms though, just shallow roots. I did get a desert tomb with a flying carpet in a chest, though. It seems there are now special terrain features like these that don't get generated in every map, regardless of size.

BTW for those wondering which map size to use, bigger maps actually do have more floating islands than smaller maps. You only really need three islands to get all their special items, though, but small maps usually have two or three islands.

Also, depending on how fast your computer generates a map, it may be possible to see if you will get corruption or crimson in that world. Look for a message that says "making world evil" or "making the world bloody".

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Thanks for that. I'm currently mucking about on a large map, and I'm trying to find some of the floating islands. A skybridge made out of wooden platforms seems to be the most effiicent way, but I really don't know if I'm at the right altitude.

Depth meters can't be crafted anymore, so I'm guessing via the in-game map. So far zippo, but a Harpy did spawn at one point, which might mean something. *shrugs*

Damned Registrations

Thanks for that. I'm currently mucking about on a large map, and I'm trying to find some of the floating islands. A skybridge made out of wooden platforms seems to be the most effiicent way, but I really don't know if I'm at the right altitude.

Depth meters can't be crafted anymore, so I'm guessing via the in-game map. So far zippo, but a Harpy did spawn at one point, which might mean something. *shrugs*

They're quite easy to find now, they have rain pouring down from the bottom and clouds floating above them, so they occupy a huge vertical area. If the bottom limit of your vision is at least as high as the upper limit of your vision from the ground, you're in good shape.

Sort of tempted to start a new game and hopefully see some of the shit I haven't yet (like desert tombs and giant trees, I was hoping he'd add shit like that and assumed he didn't after generating 2 worlds and seeing neither.) It wouldn't take too long to get myself overpowered now that I know where all the good loot is to be found. But then again maybe I'd just find boring shit. I certainly can't find anything cooler than my bullshit Scourge of the Corruptor, and I'd be rather pissed to play through again and end up using all the same items because no magic dropped yet again.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Yeah, I had barely finished making my post and playing for 5 minutes when I noticed a waterfall falling from seemingly out of nowhere while looking above my skybridge. My first floating island. Got a horseshoe from it. Continued work on the skybridge for a few more minutes and ran smackdab into the second island. Got ANOTHER horseshoe from that one. But those Harpies sure are spawning fast, but one of them dropped a Large Feather which is an ingredient for the Harpy Wings, but I won't be crafting them until Hardmode is unlocked.

Also, mining clouds so I can store them in a chest down on the surface is just surreal. :)

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
I just activated a gravitation potion and went westwards, and found 4 floating islands. If you're doing this, I'd normally advise you keep an umbrella handy, but you apparently already have 2 horseshoes.

It's true, Blizzard in a Bottle is better than Cloud in a Bottle. Sandstorm in a Bottle is supposed to be even better. I found out about this too late, though. I was always using a Cloud despite having found several Blizzards because I thought they were all the same, like the Flurry Boots and Hermes Boots

The best part is, you can combine all three with balloons and then combine them to create a bundle of balloons!

Last edited:

Dire Roach

Prophet
Yeah the bundle of balloons sounds cool but it requires a total of three shiny red balloons, which means you probably need to create several worlds to be able to get them.

I prefer to use gravitation potions to find floating islands too, despite the new inversion effect being so disorienting that I died because of it at least twice. There's a really easy way to find them in-game but it's an inefficient pussy cheat so you might as well use a map viewer.
1. Make a hardcore character.
2. Die.
3. You are now a ghost and can fly anywhere you please.
4. Profit.

Last edited:

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
If you need multiple maps for anything, it's the sandstorm in a bottle, not the shiny red balloons; I've about 3 of those tucked away and I haven't even explored anywhere near half the map.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
What're the extra benefits of the bundle? And why would you even bother if you have wings already that makes jumping obsolete?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom