Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Terraria: Otherworld - CANCELLED

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
index.php

Re-Logic and Engine Software have combined forces to develop the next progression in the open world/sandbox arena: Terraria: Otherworld.
Expanding upon the immensely popular action-sandbox title Terraria, exploring what might have been, and approaching gameplay in a new direction; Terraria: Otherworld represents a novel take on the Terraria experience.

thumbnail_0-223c0061c2f328723d7fcf5de757c9f3.png
thumbnail_1-15f6ba25a071e2e46eb0e08b06e31950.png
thumbnail_2-dbdb3cc151c3a2f6191b8225c2c441a3.png
thumbnail_3-3e7e6bd7ccf1851b3371af930a4d9b91.png

Set in an alternate dimension within the Terraria universe, Terraria: Otherworld places the player in a life-and-death struggle to restore a once-pristine world – now overrun by a malevolent force that has corrupted nature itself – to its original splendor.

Combining elements of sandbox gameplay with role-playing and strategy elements, Terraria: Otherworld explores the Terraria experience in an innovative and unique way - providing a fresh approach to the “open world” genre.

Watch this space for further details as development progresses – and come see us at GDC Booth #2230 in San Francisco!

Announcement Post
Website

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
So is this the 'Terraria 2' he's been working on?

Edit: Aparently it's not Terraria 2. Hmm... looks like he just outsourced the Terraria IP to grab some more cash. Not horrible considering how much he supported Terraria for free but I dunno if I like the idea of having this and a Terraria 2 on the horizon. Will buy if cheap but I have the feeling they'll boost the price up to $25ish.

More edits:

Redigit will be doing something different when he is done with Terraria. We have a few ideas floating around...

http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/terraria-otherworld.11627/page-9#post-355259

One of the CM's also says Terraria 2 is 'still a thing' but hasn't begun development. He also goes on to imply they can work on multiple things at once but given their size I highly doubt that. Certainly not in a timely manner.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Well, that explains why the latest update has been taking so long. I look forward to pirating this, seems to include a lot of the ideas he originally promised before Terraria went gold, like weather and lunar phases.

Multi-headed Cow

Since Terraria did well by me I'd probably D1P this. Probably. Especially if my Terraria bro does as well and then we can bicker endlessly while he tries to make pretty houses and I only want to explore.

Damned Registrations

Is it going to have weather or lunar phases? I try to avoid reading the updates, they tend to be heavy on the spoilers.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Even if it doesn't and Otherworld has stuff that wasn't technically 'delivered' in Terraria I can hardly begrudge the guy. Terraria has provided more than enough content for $10. He could have easily charged $2-3 for each of the content updates.

As to what 1.3 has, you don't have to read it but there's the size of it:

Spoiler video released by the developers, showing Charged Laser Blaster (weapon being fired in the beginning by Maiken), a new Granite Furniture set (furniture in the house), Wormhole Potion, Laser Machinegun, Meowmere, and several other new elements.
One of the new Mounts.

The new cultist event/enemy/npc.

The Guide and Nurse sitting on Chairs.

Updated NPC sprites.

Alchemy Table & Cultist vanity set.

New progress bars during world creation.

New Eclipse monsters presented by Crowno.
This may be the last update that Redigit works on personally. During the development of 1.3, Redigit also began preliminary work on a new game outside of the Terraria franchise, with additional long-term plans for a Terraria sequel. The developers Yoraiz0r and Skiphs will continue updating Terraria during and beyond 1.3.[1][2][forums 1] This version is said to be "better", not bigger with inflated item count.[reddit 1]

New items
Specific new items mentioned:

New Characters
Specific new characters mentioned:

Bosses
Specific new bosses mentioned:

Music
Mechanics
Item/character changes

Damned Registrations

The guy got enough money to buy a house pretty much overnight, in no small part due to a lot of promises about continued development of the game. I wouldn't exactly describe a couple years of work an overwhelming amount to do in return for that. 99% of developers put in a lot more work for a much smaller payday. Not to mention all the stuff that's out there for free. I'd much sooner send money to the devteam for Nethack at this point. How many hundreds of thousands of dollars have they made for their efforts?

Actually, what I'd have really liked would be if he released the source code to let the incredibly enthusiastic community mod the game. Even handicapped as they are, they've still put out more content than he has over the years, for free. Pretty sure someone had modded in sloped blocks to let you run around properly long before it was included officially. But when I asked about it way back when the game was in alpha, he gave me the usual bullshit about how he didn't want his game to end up like angband (because everyone forgot about that shit game and nobody ever made any good variants right?) and assured me he'd be adding content for years to come as long as he turned a decent profit on the game. Which he sure as hell did. And he has kept the content trickling in, and I never expected ALL the shit he promised to be implemented, but he also hasn't exactly made a full time job of it, and he had plenty of oppurtunity to do just that.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You're unbelievable. The game was fucking $10 and most people paid $5 or less through sales/bundles. It already got two content updates that were akin to full blown expansions.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Go lick Notch's asshole then. He's been just slaving away for years now, he should have moved on to make more money by now.

Being pissed off when someone lies to you personally is unbelievable now. :roll:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Has nothing to do with minecraft and everything to do with you getting butthurt over a 'principled stance' because the guy didn't put in weather effects. Who fucking cares when he added three expansion packs worth of actual content versus raindrops. And lol @ PERSONALLY. Did he shake your hand and make a vow to you?

If you think this guy is on par with Notch you're insane. Notch sold a fucking Beta for $20? More? He never brought it anywhere close to a game as complete as Terraria did for half the price. Never mind the fact Notch cashed out, handed his 'development house' off to some euro-stoners and doesn't even bother to make games anymore. But yeah... this guy is just like Notch, right?

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

You keep saying 'full expansion packs' like the game is fucking WoW or something. Fans of the game, without any modding support, have done entire rebuilds of the game, adding things like races (was promised) classes (was also promised) multiple worlds (sensing a fucking pattern here) and they did it in less time than these 'full expansions' that took like a year to come out and basically adding 1 new boss each, along with some reskins of other bosses/enemies and a handful of new weapons.

Just how much work do you think is involved in adding a Cobalt Longsword to the game? That shit takes like 2 minutes. Adding in armoured zombies doesn't count as some sort of massive fucking endeavour. The only noteworthy improvements to the game since launch were the Wall of Flesh, Cthulu Brain, Golem, Planterra, and the auto targetting for block placement and mining (which I suspect he also swiped from a mod, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.) Everything else is incredibly simple shit like extra ores, or enemies that are just stat bloated versions of existing enemies. To be fair the Hallow was decent too, but the only reason he added it and mods didn't is because he could completely rip off the corruption code.

What else has there been really? Giant trees? I've heard pyramids are in but I've never seen one. Oh yeah, fishing. That's worth like 5$ right there. Oh, be sure to charge another 5$ for goblin invasions, those add soooo much to the game.

The only reason you think Terraria is a complete game is because you have shit taste and can't even begin to imagine a remotely deep or complex game. You like fucking Dredmore ffs.

Chamezero

Terraria 1.0 was pathetic and the only reason it sold like mad was because he promised to add more free content, just like Minecraft.
The game received a few meh content patches and mods were/are the only thing keeping it interesting, just like Minecraft.
Developer cashed in and disappeared after the patches mentioned above.
Totally not the same as Notch :hearnoevil:

Oh yes, I forgot that the developer returned because he needed more money and he is now releasing decoration items, totally not the same enemies with different sprites/HP and more useless unbalanced shit to use against the couple braindead bosses so you can kill them in 5 seconds instead of 15. And this shit still takes him months to make thanks to his shitty code.

The less we talk about the neurotic design the better. "Am I Minecraft, Metroid, Diablo or a Barbie Dress Up game?"
Brace yourselves for Starbound Terraria 2, where he isn't totally going to do the same shit!

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
ITT:
EXPAGQl.png

I mostly don't care whether you like the game or not, or about any broken promises, as I have not been following the dev process at all and only got the game after the 1.2 patch on a sale for two jewros, but comparing it to Starbound, which is utter and unredeemable shit, is fucking out there, yo!

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
ITT: revisionist history. The guy added at least half a dozen bosses, half a dozen or so new biomes, dozens of new items, a lot of new gameplay mechanics like reforging and such. I don't really feel like copy/pasting the 1.1, 1.2, and other mini content patch notes for the lazy. All for a $10 game. $10.

But... but... MUH WEATHER EFFECTS! Go find a yiff party or something to crash.

Edit: Also still trying to figure out how this guy is like Notch when he's supported the game with multiple patches and content updates years after release.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

You're counting shit like mecha skeletron as a new boss? Seriously? The thing moves exactly the same way, looks exactly the same, and the only difference is it fires lasers and drops bombs. Oh, and it has 2 extra arms. That must have taken almost as much work as adding 'dozens of new items'. You know, items like cursed arrows, which are like fire arrows except they are green and do more damage. What percentage of the expansion do you figure that constitutes? Because when you say 'dozens of new items' you make it sound like they're all equally noteworthy, in which case I'm gonna say maybe 1%? So he spent 2 minutes making new arrows, spent another 198 minutes on the other 99% of that update, which took a grand total of 3 hours of actual work. What a saint.

And yet you think minecraft is unfinished? I don't actually play minecraft, but I know they've added leveling, item enchanting, portals, and plenty of other shit. Reforging is a 'gameplay mechanic'? You pay money (which is in basically infinite supply) and reroll the item's random stats. Woo. And that was the mechanic worthy of being named. What is 'and such'? I suppose the fishing. Another deep facet of gameplay. I mean, between those two 'gameplay mechanics' I must have added at least another 2 minutes to my playtime checking them out and making use of them.

Multi-headed Cow

Sending Creepers flying across the room with your Diamond Sword of Fuck Off is very satisfying, though.
I'm just bitter my Terraria bro never picked up Minecraft. It's sorta weird, he likes making a nice town/base/buildings/whatever in Terraria because there's a really simple gameplay reason to (The NPCs) even though he could just make boxes to spawn them in. But trying to get him to play Minecraft where I actually DO kinda like making stuff and he instantly gets bored and quits. Whereas even though there's absolutely 0 gameplay in Minecraft (Although I still prefer playing non-cheating survival just because) I actually do like making giant stone cocks that ooze lava and undersea glass cities and shit.

Damned Registrations

I just don't get why the fucker couldn't have added some actual content. New types of enemies and bosses. Throw in some giant dinosaur with an actual walk cycle that breathes fire, add spell casters that cast actual spells instead of straight line projectiles. Make a giant pyramid like the dungeon and fill it with cool shit so there's an alternative place to go instead of making it a one in fifty chance to get a useful item out of a big empty box. Add a demon fortress in hell, a cloud fortress, a jungle monster that appears during the full moon and teleports around, destroying terrain he touches so you can't build a big stupid arena to fight him. Add a reason to go underwater for more than 30 seconds.

Absalom

Fucking LOL. Damned Registrations will be bitching about Redigit on his deathbed. Another stark reminder to never 'invest' into early access.

I, however, bought the game during version 1.1 for like 5 bucks and have received p cool free updates over the past couple years. Money well spent. Might even buy this bastardized installment based off that.

Also comparing Terraria to Dissapointmentbound, lol.

Damned Registrations

Although I don't actually regret preordering Terraria or singing it's praises, for the same reason I did that shit for Dredmore; It's success popularized a genre and now there's actual competition which will eventually lead to some awesome shit. But at this point they've both served their purpose and can kindly go die in a fire. Dredmore is by far the shittier game of the two but I never felt personally invested in it. I actually thought Terraria was going to be something really special based on where it was at version.65 or whenever the fuck I bought it. Well, that and what Redigit told me when I asked him about shit.

Absalom

Although I don't actually regret preordering Terraria or singing it's praises, for the same reason I did that shit for Dredmore; It's success popularized a genre and now there's actual competition which will eventually lead to some awesome shit. But at this point they've both served their purpose and can kindly go die in a fire. Dredmore is by far the shittier game of the two but I never felt personally invested in it. I actually thought Terraria was going to be something really special based on where it was at version.65 or whenever the fuck I bought it. Well, that and what Redigit told me when I asked him about shit.

Like what would lunar phases and weather effects even bring to the game? What would it add, honestly? I'd prefer he'd stick to adding in more content I actually care about. B-b-b-but muh indignation!

Nigger I backed Mount and Blade back in version .12, when there was only one town, River Pirates, and the end game content were doomstacks of "Black Knights." Game has great combat, but rest was severly lacking. Mount and Blade release version had, however..... great combat, and lackluster everything else. They spent years adding absolutely fuck-all. You have no room to complain:rpgcodex:

Damned Registrations

Oh I don't really give a shit about those things, I just mentioned them because they seemed to be in the trailer and I wanted to snark about the broken promises. It's the actual content stuff he promised I really wanted, extra dungeons and other worlds and volcanoes and shit. The gameplay changes would have been nice too, but I understand shit ends up going in unexpected directions in that regard eventually, like how he ended up adding health regen would have made certain other things stupid to add. But I still think it's dumb something as obvious and apparently easy to add as slopes had to be done be a fucking mod first, in a game that doesn't support modding.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom