Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Terraria

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Keep in mind that you could be experiencing a bug in new world generation. I logged in to find my character holding 98 safes and 999 platinum, and it sure as fuck didn't have that stuff the last time I played.

Also, if Hardmode + Expert is an option, then at the very least the endgame-type bosses will be a great deal more difficult than they used to be.

Akasen

Augur
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I was working on a new character last week. I decided to delete my old world and make a new one. Minor regrets, but the Hell armor and weapons made of FUCKING FIRE make me happy. There's something about the monotony of this game that in my head would make it the most unpleasantly grindy experience that totally becomes the biggest time sink I own.

Gerrard

Arcane
You definitely can find heart crystals in expert worlds.
Starting as new character is a massive pain though, your weapons have like zero knockback and zombies have fucking swords too and kill you in 3 hits. You gotta hope to find some good shit in chests.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Just my shite luck then. Will continue the search. Haven't really found much in the way of chests so far, only 1 deep underground and it was just a water chest with yet another breathing reed.

Most of the new items I've seen have been fairly dissapointing so far, stuff like the enemy radar or a chain knife that is way way too weak to be a viable weapon.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Most of the new items I've seen have been fairly dissapointing so far, stuff like the enemy radar or a chain knife that is way way too weak to be a viable weapon.

The basic enemy radar is pretty shit, but the upgraded version looks pretty neat.

No idea where to get the other parts, though.

Gord

Arcane
Fired it up again as well, my old worlds are gone, too (the characters are still there with the stuff they had in their inventory, at least).
Just dicked around an hour or so, but I'll probably anyway go with a new char to get a better idea of all the new stuff.

Did anyone use the Ivy Whip since the update? IIRC it was used like any other weapon before 1.3, but now it goes into the equipment part of the inventory somehow and I've got no idea how to use it.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
You aren't supposed to use grappling hooks like weapons, just press E and it'll fire where you're aiming.

The new mount drops are pretty nifty, some of them at least have infinite flight which frees up an accessory slot from wings.

Damned Registrations

Started finding heart crystals, all is good now.

New AI on the Eye was fucking brutal, I hope the other bosses prove equally as challenging.

Got 2 'Expert' items so far. Both seem more like novelty/bragging rights items than anything else, but still fairly cool. The piggy bank pet is extremely handy though.

Also found out you can apparently make 9 damage arrows using just starter shit you can find easily on the surface. Too late to be useful now, but if I start a new char I'm abusing the fuck out of those.

Oh, I also got an accessory that basically adds 5 damage to my attacks, which is pretty disgusting in combination with the minishark. Only reason I (barely) managed to take out the Eye (on like the 4th attempt) was that combination.

I like the new little mini biomes and the underground desert area, both make the early game a lot more interesting. The dev still sucks balls at balancing shit though. 17 damage throwing items aren't really useful when you're on the cusp of hell and getting hit for 70+ damage. I can't imagine using them ever, even if I searched for them specifically and had a full ninja outfit.

Gerrard

Arcane
What the fuck man, I'm getting some serious slowdowns at times when using the smooth lightning. It's almost as bad as Starbound now. The really funny thing is I have a better PC now compared to when I last played and Terraria's CPU use doesn't even go above 15%.

Shadenuat

Arcane
With Daybreak anyone can now cosplay Gwyn from Dark Souls :happytrollboy:

fukkin moonlord, going to try again now with my lightning spears.
not sure it would replace Flairon or Ice Poll for invasions though

whaaa, you need to destroy all the towers AGAIN?! :x:x

:0-13:

Gwyn's lightning spears are waaaaaay worse for DPS than Flairon :( even when you stick all of them into something.
Seems like mages and rangers got the sweetest stuff. Although I like summoner's dragon too
If Solar Pillar spawns high in the air you're a bit screwed lol. Wish I had Vampire Knives, why did I make a purple world errhrhuuuhdddhah

FUCK OFF HOMING MISSILES TELEPORTING ENEMIES TICKING DAMAGE

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Why couldn't they just give you 999 of these lunar bars for final boss. Not going to farm the moron again even using old cheesy asphalt arena :keepmymoney:

but man that final summoning equipment looks sweet. and I got portal gun and disco dance crystal staff that works like Nimbus Wand and summons a crystal sending rays of Goodness
200px-%D0%A0%D0%B0%D0%BA%D0%BA%D0%B0.jpg

for 200 dmg everywhere

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I'm not even thinking about the endgame stuff right now. I'm still mucking about with a dirt house after having started a new character in a new (large) world and it's all the little things that are fascinating me.

Like the underground area for the desert that contains sand that my puny copper pickaxe can't touch.

Or the large amount of new desert enemies, some of which are quite dangerous to a newbie character.

Or dicking about underground and suddenly finding railtracks.

The game now keeps track of how many enemies you kill and awards you banners at every "milestone". Want that elusive Nymph banner? Kill 50 nymphs (a.k.a the Mother of all Grinds).

And I may be asking a dumb question here, but...how long ago did Terraria allow one to use the hammer on wooden platforms to alter their direction? I can make staircases now!

I found a cloud island, was lucky enough to have a high hill just underneath a low-hanging island, could see the water rolling off the side. It's so low, not even Harpies spawn there.

Blood Moon events now have new monsters.

Slime raining from the sky is one of the funnier things to happen to me in this game. :)

I've explored long enough in both directions to reach Crimtane sections that I doubt I'd survive crossing, still haven't found the dungeon or the jungle.

Damned Registrations

Yeah, dunno why so many people seem to have skipped the early game by loading an old char. Or maybe they did start new chars but on normal mode so they're already at the end game? Haven't done hardmode in a long while, but it feels like that'd take longer than a day or two for most people. Grinding through the various hardmode pickaxes at the very least takes a lot of time.

Been doing some fishing this time around when I had nothing better to do while waiting for the next night in between boss attempts. Rewards seem pretty underwhelming in general. A few semi-useful potions I could get by without, a bunch of obsolete metal bars from crates. I'll probably see this shit through to the end though, just to fight the shark boss. Never fought him before, I'm guessing expert mode will be crazy.

Next hurdle for me is Wall of Flesh right now. Not sure how to tackle him. I might need to mine out the entire top half of hell and lay down a minecart track to pull this shit off solo. Maybe summons will help, seems to be some major buffs to that available.

Does anyone know what the weird symbol on some of the higher tier yo-yos means? It's not on the wooden one but it's on one I got from the dungeon. Didn't really notice anything special about it.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I started new char just recently like this year, and have 270 hours in this game since time my Friend gave me it as a present for my bd, so starting shit AGAIN I am just afraid of all the time sink. and I worked too hard to my house I don't want to build another one
But, I dunno, expert mode... maybe, one day, if I will have some interesting idea about how to play it, like summoner or mage or specific housing I'd like to build

And I may be asking a dumb question here, but...how long ago did Terraria allow one to use the hammer on wooden platforms to alter their direction? I can make staircases now!
For a quite a while actually, long as I remember the game

Been doing some fishing this time around when I had nothing better to do while waiting for the next night in between boss attempts. Rewards seem pretty underwhelming in general.
Fuck fishing in all games forever
They always add it when they're out of ideas of what to add more. I'd rather have more unique biomes

I'll probably see this shit through to the end though, just to fight the shark boss.
You just need a special bait from mushroom biome, you don't need fishing quests or special fishing rods

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron

For a quite a while actually, long as I remember the game

:oops:

Fuck fishing in all games forever
They always add it when they're out of ideas of what to add more. I'd rather have more unique biomes

Like a underwater biome full of fishmen?

I agree with you, fishing sucks. I think Torchlight 2 was the only game that did fishing half-decently, and even then it was a snorefest.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Like a underwater biome full of fishmen?
Yea like sea caves, or haunted mines, or upper parts of living trees like Trynton in Wiz8 and more more more and quests and
puding, I want chocolate puding

Compared to Jungle that, before the update, featured 2 of 3 best armors in the game, 1 extra boss, 2 hard mode bosses, stuff to craft most powerful sword in the game before update, ecetera, ecetera, other biomes just never were as important to explore (like Snow biome).
It's a tragedy when you find armor better than molten that you were making by draining seas into Hell to safely mine hellstone and open all shadow chests there, as much as it is a tragedy when you apply extra coating on Power Armor in Fallout 1 and game ends for you there

Well, all good things come to end I guess and it's a good game if I always want it to be what it was for me when I played it blind for the first time

Damned Registrations

Did you ever try any of the mods? I had some fun with Omnir's modpack. Added a ton of enemies with sprites mostly ripped from old Final Fantasy games, along with a bunch of weapons and armour. Most of it was obsolete when I got it, but the spells were pretty cool and it was enough just to have a new world to explore.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Nah I decided not to bother. I did watch a shitton of videos though like Yrimir's summoner's playthrough. Going through adventure worlds made by other players looked interesting though.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fishing is fun. Found a golden chest with a turtle mount.
Slow on land but fast under water. Can even swim. God send for exploring big waters :)

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Yeah, dunno why so many people seem to have skipped the early game by loading an old char.

d87d644f25.png

I don't have time to crawl around mining copper and building dirt hovels. My challenge in Terraria now stems from being a collector: I want at least one of every weapon, armor set, vanity set, accessory, mount, pet, painting (some of them are incredibly rare), etc. I was very close to having everything in v1.2. If I'm going to build something, it ends up being a solid gold and Lihzahrd brick treasure vault, a fully-automated antlion mandible farm, or an immense potion garden whose top tiers reach space on a Large world.

I never cheat or use server commands, nor will I trade with any player suspected of doing such a thing, with the sole exception of using TEdit to perform certain types of tedious construction tasks using only materials I already possess. With these new enemies and Expert mode, rest assured there's plenty of challenge left in this game. I'm currently working on a non-Expert Moon Lord arena setup. I tried freestyling Moon Lord, but it went badly. Hats off to whomever can solo that thing on Expert without a special arena.

Regarding fishing: I absolutely despise fishing. However, back in v1.2 months ago, I eventually found an autistic person who spends all day fishing and loves to trade stacks of his fish for other rare items and materials.

Edit: Oh, I finally remembered why there was a stack of 98 safes in my inventory. I got tired of constantly losing my safe when I sat it down to use in random locations, so I just bought 99 of them. :lol:

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

At that point aren't you basically systematically strip mining the entire world with explosives? I don't get the fun in that.

Hell, before killing Skeletron I made another world just so I could kill the expert Eater of Worlds before I got too buff, and although it was a lot tougher than the usual fight, I was already so strong I didn't find out what the change was besides the improved stats. In retrospect I wish I had killed him before the Brain, since he's generally pretty easy and now I've missed out on a potentially fun challenge.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
At that point aren't you basically systematically strip mining the entire world with explosives? I don't get the fun in that.

No, not really. That's actually a pain in the ass, because your inventory fills up quickly and becomes unmanageable. It's much more effective (and enjoyable) to develop precise and efficient strategies. Also, a lot of the rare items (such as the Nymph Banner, which was and still is the rarest item in the game by a wide margin) don't depend on just blasting everything in sight. Hunting rare paintings requires good mobility, effective lighting (Flasks of Ichor and Scourge of the Corruptor are excellent for this purpose), and a lot of dungeon exploration during which you have to pay attention to the layout and details.

Even when digging down to Hell, the Snowman Cannon isn't the best way to dig. It's much faster and more effective to use a fast and strong pickaxe, the mining set, mining potions, and water-breathing/lava accessories. Figuring all this out takes time and attention and was a lot of fun while I was doing it. Sometimes, the fun is in the prep, not in the execution.

A good example would be Lightning Bugs, the best easily-obtainable fishing bait. I figured out how to catch hundreds of them on a "bloom night" by:

• creating a wide, flat strip of the Hallow
  • filling in all hollow underground areas beneath the strip of Hallow
  • adding NPCs to ward off monsters and thereby increase critter spawn
  • distributing Water Candles at intervals
  • using Battle Potions (of course)

The only use for strip-mining really is to get lots of raw materials like clay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom