Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Terraria

Turjan

Arcane
Also, a Slime Staff dropped for me yesterday. Now I can finally command my own private pile of snot!
And you can build your own low-tech AFK money printing machine. Okay, it's not as good as (and certainly less exciting than) running non-stop Pumpkin Moons, but nevertheless...

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Update: I consolidated my Terrarian assets. That means I wiped several worlds and all characters but my first one, the one I created back in 2013 just a few weeks shy of the 1.2 update*. I shifted all my in-game stuff onto one world, then had a massive sorting process through dozens of chests and hundreds of items. Turns out I have a few rare items (like 2 Enchanted Swords and a Lizard Egg) and enough resources to craft 2 more Ankh Shields. I don't have anything related to fishing, however, so I decided to use my "storage world" as a fishing resort.

That led to me scouting out the world to find decent fishing spots, and creating them where none were available. Cue me running around with a legion of buckets creating large lagoons in various biomes so I could be the Angler's little bitch at the drop of a hat. The combination of Storage World Full of Junk That Needs Sorting + In-game Daily Events worked out kinda nicely for me, as I used the downtime between Fishing Quests to sort out my stuff.

(Formally request at this point for a Angler Voodoo Doll being added to the game so I can murder the little bastard to my heart's content.)

As for fishing itself - they fucked it up big time. There's a list of fishing poles available that follow a linear pattern of improvement, but the third-best fishing pole is left in the hands of RN'G the Dice God via the Traveling Salesman - Sitting Duck's Fishing Pole is second only to the lava-capable fishing rod and the Golden Fishing Rod, so just grab that when it's available and forget about the other fishing rods. As for bait? There's tons of different bait available, but what you want is the lowly Worm. Net a dozen worms or so, upgrade them into Enchanted Worms by (somehow) showing Fallen Stars into them and once you find a big enough fishing spot, your fishing capability is instantly a triple-digit number. Once you start finishing quests from the Angler, you'll get enough good bait to have you sorted. What about the crates? Treat them like pulling chests out of thin air, complete with respective biome attributes and loot tables. Useful if you're looking for a particular item, but otherwise not that big of a deal.

*I also spared the original world I created. It's kinda funny being in a world with no sloping blocks, no honey combs, no Lizharhd temple and no Biome chests in the Dungeon.

Turjan

Arcane
(Formally request at this point for a Angler Voodoo Doll being added to the game so I can murder the little bastard to my heart's content.)
We can be sure that this won't happen, as they don't want to lose their teen rating. It's the only NPC that simply "leaves" when hurt too much.
What about the crates? Treat them like pulling chests out of thin air, complete with respective biome attributes and loot tables. Useful if you're looking for a particular item, but otherwise not that big of a deal.
It's also a good way to prevent your world getting corrupted all over by smashing altars. Fish crates in pre-hardmode, then fulfill those limited hardmode ore needs from crates you open.
*I also spared the original world I created. It's kinda funny being in a world with no sloping blocks, no honey combs, no Lizharhd temple and no Biome chests in the Dungeon.
The old sky islands are also special, made from dirt with vines hanging from them, with houses made from metal bricks and locked gold chests inside.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
yeah, he is.
I was surprised as well. I just thought he was an annoying shit.

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Angler

• The Angler's sprite is unique, as he is a child, and therefore younger than all the others. He is a block shorter than any of the others and is the only child NPC in the game.
  • While most NPCs die via the usual death animation, the Angler simply vanishes in a puff of smoke. He also has a unique death message, instead of "<Angler name> was slain..." it says "<Angler name> has left!" This is most likely due to rating concerns, as depictions of children being killed tend to result in an Adults Only rating from the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB), which would have drastically limited the game's distribution.

Turjan

Arcane
Wait, the angler's a child? wat
Yup. Some of his quotes:
  • "I don't have a mommy or a daddy, but I have a lot of fish! It's close enough!"
  • "Let a kid give you some advice, never touch your tongue to an ice block! Wait, forget what I said, I totally want to see you do it!"

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Er...this game has kid zombies...and I've slaughtered them in the hundreds by now.

Not to mention naked ladies that try to tear your heart out at the drop of a hat.

Hypocrites.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Update: Had my first Martian Invasion, and was woefully unprepared. The normal grunts weren't a problem, but that fucking saucer dragged the whole thing down. I did kill two of them during the event, and the first one dropped the Influx Waver, which upgraded my melee DPS significantly. Before I had to make an effort to deal out 800 DPS, now I do that on average and twice that against single targets.

Another interesting drop I've gotten is the Super Absorbent Sponge, which absorbs an endless amount of water. So I went to test it...and now my world only has one ocean. :shittydog:

Golem turned out to be one of the easiest bosses of the game, once I rearranged all the furniture in his room. The Mechanical Bosses only gave me slight trouble, and I prepared for Plantera with a nice little arena that helped loads.

I want to have a go at Duke Fishron before I mess with those cultists outside the dungeon, but from this point on everything in Terraria is unknown to me - beating Golem was the furthest I had ever gotten.

Turjan

Arcane
I'm farming Martian invasions at the moment. It was quick to get all the drops from the Saucer, but I'm after the Brain Scrambler (a Scutlix mount), which proves to be evasive. I'll probably have to change the approach, as you have to kill the Scutlix Gunner before the Scutlix in order to get his drops, and at the moment, the Scutlix dies first most of the time.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Update: Had my first Martian Invasion, and was woefully unprepared. The normal grunts weren't a problem, but that fucking saucer dragged the whole thing down. I did kill two of them during the event, and the first one dropped the Influx Waver, which upgraded my melee DPS significantly. Before I had to make an effort to deal out 800 DPS, now I do that on average and twice that against single targets.

Another interesting drop I've gotten is the Super Absorbent Sponge, which absorbs an endless amount of water. So I went to test it...and now my world only has one ocean. :shittydog:

Golem turned out to be one of the easiest bosses of the game, once I rearranged all the furniture in his room. The Mechanical Bosses only gave me slight trouble, and I prepared for Plantera with a nice little arena that helped loads.

I want to have a go at Duke Fishron before I mess with those cultists outside the dungeon, but from this point on everything in Terraria is unknown to me - beating Golem was the furthest I had ever gotten.

What class are you? If you're a mage you will want the Razorwind Typhoon from Duke; its really good against what you'll be facing next.
If Summoner, the tempest staff which is one of the best summoning items in the game.
The drops for ranger and warrior aren't too good though.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Must resist urge to reinstall.

Please do. At least until early September, when the next update is scheduled for release.

As for me...I've just been dicking around in the game, but I did get a second Martian Invasion and got the Laser Drill (10 block range?!?) and some other goodies...but at this point I don't think I'll be any better prepared for fighting against Duke Fishron than I am now. I've built what I believe is an acceptable arena - it's now or never.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Must resist urge to reinstall.

Please do. At least until early September, when the next update is scheduled for release.

As for me...I've just been dicking around in the game, but I did get a second Martian Invasion and got the Laser Drill (10 block range?!?) and some other goodies...but at this point I don't think I'll be any better prepared for fighting against Duke Fishron than I am now. I've built what I believe is an acceptable arena - it's now or never.

You should probably wait until you have ufo keys. The UFO mount makes the Fishron fight much easier, as he loses his flight advantage.
If you are playing a ranger, chlrophyte rounds tend to help. Laser Machine gun is a good mage choice.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
If you want to just utterly wreck any of the flying bosses, a minecart is a good option. You can control your speed to be the same as the boss so it just trails you from a safe distance while you pelt it with ranged weapons. You'll take a hit at the end of the line when you change directions, but if the line is long enough it should be plenty of time to heal up in between.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
If you want to just utterly wreck any of the flying bosses, a minecart is a good option. You can control your speed to be the same as the boss so it just trails you from a safe distance while you pelt it with ranged weapons. You'll take a hit at the end of the line when you change directions, but if the line is long enough it should be plenty of time to heal up in between.

Or use a unicorn mount and set up teleporters on either side of a long bridge. Its hilariously effective, even against the Expert Moonlord, provided you have a homing weapon and health regen.

Sand Sharks are now a thing

Last edited:

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I wish there was more throwing weapon support, to make it viable like summoning, magic, ranged, and melee. It doesn't help that melee is absorbing and producing so many things that look and act a lot like they could be throwing weapons.
I had an idea that you could add nets to the game as a craft-able, customization throwing weapon, a lot like gladiator nets. Using something like web to craft the basic net, and they don't damage, they only slow down the enemy or hold them in place for a certain time period. Then you could craft basic nets with other items to make stuff like sticky nets, barbed nets, etc that have extra effects.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Alternatively, they could make boomerangs into a throwing weapon type. It never made sense that they were melee. I mean, you throw it. It's non consumable, but you clearly throw it.

I think I saw an unidentified suit of armor in one of the desert update teasers, but that could have been a variety / dye thing. If it is a new suit of armor, it could be a throwing set, as the other throwing set is also in the desert.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Well...my encounters with Duke Fishron went pretty much as I expected. For the first round of fights I had three Truffle worms, meaning three fights.

I was not expecting to win against him in the first fight, but I was surprised that I got him into his second phase. What killed me was me still getting to grips with his attack patterns.

Second fight turned out much better, I used more potion buffs and I had the upper hand right up until he went into his third phase (an Expert Mode-only event) and everything went to shit from there.

For the third fight I switched weapons, and ended up getting him down to less than 500 HP before dying, all due to the cheesy-as-fuck third phase. To be honest I'm surprised the game didn't just turn off my monitor and tell me to fight him blind. Because by that point I had him pegged good and proper, attack patterns sorted and knowing what to dodge...but none of that's any good if you can't see what you're supposed to be dodging.

To prove to myself that I had Duke Fishron pegged, I harvested three more Truffle Worms and tried fighting him in a non-Expert Mode world. Kicked his ass three times in a row, in such short time that I didn't even bother to refresh my buffs for the second fight. He dropped the Fishron wings, the Tsunami, the Razorwheel spellbook and the Bubble Gun. Most of these look interesting but the clear winner are the wings, for despite all my planning I was starting to notice a weakness in my setup: My flight ability. I was using the Hoverboard and that just isn't enough against Expert Mode-Duke Fishron. Time to harvest some more Truffle Worms and try again.

CthulhuIsSpy said:
What class are you? If you're a mage you will want the Razorwind Typhoon from Duke; its really good against what you'll be facing next.
If Summoner, the tempest staff which is one of the best summoning items in the game.
The drops for ranger and warrior aren't too good though.

To be honest I haven't decided, but so far I've been going Melee for most things and haven't come across much problems, though I lean towards melee weapons with range, like the Enchanted Sword, Terra Blade, Scourge of the Corruptor, Influx Waver and (most recently against Duke Fishron) the Possessed Hatchet.

I haven't really taken a good look at proper ranged weapons, but I used them as support for my melee killing when needed...or until the Scourge of the Corruptor came along and made most of them trivial.

Ditto with magic, much of it looks and sounds nice, but I feel I'd be making myself too vulnerable to get the "Alpha Strike"-esque damage levels that good spellcasters can get.

The Summoner class, however, just makes me scratch my head. All you do is summon invulnerable allies that do all the damage (and killing) for you, while you sit on the sidelines and hope nothing reaches you. I have the Staff of the Frost Hydra and that's quite a useful thingie, but beyond that the concept of the class somehow just doesn't feel right.

Alienman said:
Do you play with drop all on death?

I tried MediumCore a couple of times, but when I got hit by the one-two combo of dying (and all my stuff dropped) and the game crashing and wiping out all my stuff (for the second time in 3+ years of playing the game) I lost any and all interest in that game mode.

Up next: Rematch with Expert-Mode Fishron. Equipped with his own wings, I should stand a much better chance of survival.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
You don't have to do nothing as a summoner. Whilst a pure summoner would indeed let the minions do all the work, what most people would do is get into the fray as well, wearing summoner armor and items to try to get as many minions as possible. Its for this reason why the summoner class is considered OP late game, as both you and your army is dealing damage, as opposed to the other classes where its only you.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Update: I figured I'd go whack that Lunatic Cultist for a laugh, see what would happen. 3 minutes later he's but a smear on my sword, barely worth mentioning as a boss.

Then I find the pillars. This may not have been such a good idea after all.

Vortex Pillar with its anti-gravity debuff can eat a moonful of dicks.

Nebula Pillar can eat a planetful of dicks.

Stardust Pillar was fun.

Solar Pillar ended up being me hiding in the corner and spam auto-aiming shots until the force-field is down.

Then Moon-Moon Lord arrived. I figured I'd give him a shot, didn't last long (stupid sexy WTFBBQdeathray) but at least I have some ideas about what kind of arena I'll need to build.

And then I go back to the Dungeon, and those nutjobs are back!

It's clear this mega-event is meant to be farmed, but I don't feel like doing this again anytime soon.

The upside is, the counter (and damage) needed to break the pillar force fields doesn't reset, so one can just fly in there, kill a lot of monsters, get killed, respawn and then do it all again. (That's how I beat the Nebula Pillar at least.) Otherwise they're just gonna sit there and be a nuisance until they're dealt with.

As for new stuffs - I crafted two new Solar melee weapons and a staff that summons a mini-dragon murder machine - I WUV HIM! Mostly everything else requires Luminite Bars as well, which means killing Moon-Moon Lord several times over...ugh.

The game has now become one massive grind...but there's one upside to all of this. I just got a Endless Water Bucket. Remember that ocean I made go away? Now it's back, with interest.

And I was thinking about seeing just how messed up a drowned world would be...except someone beat me to it.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Update:

EAT IT MOON-MOON LORD!

EAT IT!

That took way too much effort. I did another round of the Lunatic Cultist > Four Pillars > Moon-Moon Lord merry-go-round. This time I got him down to half health on the Core. Not bad, considering all I was using was my standard gear, plus a shelter I'd cooked up to ward off Pirate and Martian invasions.

Using the Pillar fragments I'd gotten, I figured my best choice was to craft Celestial Sigils, just to skip all the crap with the Pillars. Had enough materials for 3 of them...better make them count. Cue massive resource hunt in the damndest of places as I hunted down reagents to craft various potions.

Round 1: Upgraded my shelter, used a couple more buff potions...got him down to 1/3 health on the Core. But I had a thought, seeing as the massive death ray is stopped by blocks...can he be tanked? Just standing there with max defense and max buffs and health regen? I put my plan into motion...

Round 2: So close, but no cigar. I poured everything I had into it, and yet it wasn't enough. Something was missing...and I skimmed over this thread to try to spot some clues.

Eureka!

Having Heart statues on a timer wasn't enough, as I had to move to collect the hearts...but there's this thing called a Heartreach Potion that boosts the range. Could it be...?

Yes!

Perfect!

Round 3: Atomic batteries to power...turbines to speed. All buffs are go, come and get it, ugly!

4 minutes later I'm the proud owner of a tentacle that's telling me to watch some Hentai to know where it's going, a globe that spins the world upside-down when I turn it over, and a sword that meows at me everytime I swing it. And a Portal Gun straight outta Aperture Science. All things considered I think it's the appropriate drops for me, but there was no Terrarian yo-yo for me, which would have unlocked one of the last 3 achievements I have left for this game. I know I have to farm the Moon-Moon Lord to get all the other gear he has, but to be honest? Fuck it. I'm burned out on this game for quite some time. I don't mind people creating an Epic-level event as your endgame, but when people realize they have to farm this Epic-level event to get the really good stuff? Erect forefinger to the eye, mafakka!

It's been a great run, but I'm done. I don't care that it's less than a week to the next content update. I don't care that it has Land Sharks, harsh weather or whatever else will be in it. Moon-Moon Lord is big enough of a dick to make me feel disgusted at this game for now.

(For anyone reading this post...RESIST the urge to re-install...at least until the new update has landed!)

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah, the fact that you have to farm the Moonlord several times to get the materials to make the awesome stuff is pretty tedious. Not sure what Relogic was thinking there.

1.3.3 is supposed to up in September, so I'm holding off another run until then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom