Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Terraria

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Terraria got a new update (1.3.5), but it's mostly technical stuff and rebalancing.

Added Zoom and UI scale sliders in the in-game settings menu

This looks to be the biggest thing for me. Tiny little UI stronk now.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
index.php

Terraria got a new update (1.3.5), but it's mostly technical stuff and rebalancing.

Release Notes

Features:
  • Added professional localization for the following languages: German, Italian, French, Spanish, Russian (new), Simplified Chinese (new). Brazilian Portuguese (new), Polish (new)
  • Greatly improved rendering and overall gameplay on resolutions larger than 1080p
  • Added Zoom and UI scale sliders in the in-game settings menu
  • Added most of the main menu's settings to the in-game settings menu
  • Dungeons in newly generated worlds now contain new furniture
  • Added a crystal furniture set, and expanded other furniture sets
  • Added Arkhalis's and Leinfors' developer armor sets
  • NPCs who are manually assigned to a room will attempt to return to it when they respawn after being slain
  • Improved stability on Mac OS X and Linux
  • Improved visuals on many different things
  • Improved Retro lighting consistency
Fixes:
  • Fixed settings button overlaying the armor icon
  • Fixed inconsistent naming for Sand Poacher and Granite Golem banners
  • Fixed banner buff list extending beyond screen limits
  • Fixed hand drawing over backhand glove and shield accessories for female characters
  • Fixed Sparky painting and several other rare paintings not naturally spawning properly
  • Fixed a certain multiplayer crash
  • Fixed sign mouseover text staying on cursor permanently when in Options and Camera menus
  • Fixed a world generation crash on Linux
  • Fixed a number of minor grammar issues in NPC dialog
  • Fixed a certain exploit
  • Fixed trapped Granite and Meteorite Chests dropping the wrong item upon breaking
  • Fixed Vortex Monolith not selling for as much as it should
  • Fixed crash when linking items with invalid prefix ids in chat
  • Fixed Pumpkin Shirt and Robot Shirt causing leg skin to disappear when equipped
  • Fixed Defender's Forge closing instantly if opened from below
  • Fixed Terraria thinking it has focus when it did not have focus
  • Fixed Grand Design and Multicolor Wrench emitting light on use
  • Fixed auto-creating a world from the server causing it to always use the same seed
  • Fixed Platinum Candelabra not sitting properly on other objects
  • Fixed Goblin Tinkerer being slightly smaller than intended
  • Fixed petrification death messages being broken for a long while now
  • Fixed Wall Creeper dropping gore when blood and gore are off
  • Fixed Xeno Staff's selling price, now consistent with the rest of Martian loot
  • Fixed crash when mousing over chests and dressers in the map view
  • Fixed settings button colliding with 6th accessory dye slot
  • Fixed Corrupt Thorns almost never generating
  • Fixed multiple issues with platform/block interaction
  • Fixed pillars of dirt appearing above the Underground Desert sometimes
  • Potentially fixed an issue where Marathon Medalist would cause FPS drops.
  • Platforms from 1.2.4.1 and above now emit particles when destroyed
  • Virtual Keyboard should no longer appear unless a Gamepad is being used
  • Using Quick Heal to consume restoration potions now properly inflicts mana sickness
  • Defender's Forge now has highlight outlines

Huh, is that it? I was expecting something huger. Still, updates are good. It means the game is still alive.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Wow, they added zoom on PC? About time. Always bothered me on higher resolutions. I'm surprised it took them this long.

Turjan

Arcane
I noticed that the 1.3.6. teasers have stopped some time ago. And yup, Cenx (the lead developer) said on Tuesday:
"1.3.6 is still a ways out. We are taking our time with this one and having fun!"

The reason behind this seems to be this:

index.php

One Terraria

"One Terraria" - For too long, we have felt that the Terraria community was too "fragmented", driven by some pretty large content differences between the various versions. One of the key goals of the Console & Mobile rewrite is to bridge that gap and bring everyone together into a more unified experience. What does that mean, exactly?

• Bringing the other versions more in-line with the expectations of the core PC version in regards to gameplay and visuals - only deviating where appropriate or needed.
  • Narrowing - or even potentially eliminating - the "update gap" between PC updates and when these are rolled out to Console (and Mobile).
  • Once that is in place, even exploring more "out there" ideas like crossplay or content sharing that such parity could potentially allow (no promises here - just sharing the thinking! ;) )

So, what does this mean in practical terms? That we have done all that we can to make what you will receive as close as possible to the PC Terraria 1.3 experience. It also means that the teams have a pretty aggressive update plan moving forward with the goal of fully catching Console (and eventually, Mobile) up to PC... and then closely coordinating update development once we are at parity to greatly shrink or even remove the "update gap" altogether. Once we get all of that together, gone should be the days of Console and Mobile players getting content up to a year later - if all goes to plan.

We suspect that will be music to your ears - and it certainly is to ours! We are looking forward to sharing the details of that plan once we get through the Console 1.3 launch window. That said, this plan has other implications, so we encourage you to read up on those below. Taken together, we are confident that this will put Terraria and the community in a much better place a year from now than today - and today is pretty good already. :cool:
[...]

What is changing?
  • Current Console Exclusive armors will remain in game, but will be converted to vanity sets. These will be available via the Traveling Merchant's rotating inventory.
    • Currently-owned sets will still exist, but will automatically be changed to Vanity.
  • Current Console Exclusive weapons will be removed from the game entirely.
    • Currently-owned weapons will be automatically replaced with similar gear at the Chlorophyte tier (i.e. Tonbogiris will be replaced with Chlorophyte Partisans)
    • Sharanga will be replaced with Hellwing Bow and Spectral Arrows/Vulcan Bolts with Hellfire/Chlorophyte arrows, respectively
  • Console-Exclusive mobs will be removed in their entirety.
    • Most of these were reskins/recolors that do not fit into vision and balance of the game. There is a chance that a few of the more interesting will be revisited at a later date.
  • Console Vanity will be removed from the game, with the exception of the Horned God set. This will be added to the Traveling Merchant's inventory.
  • Sparkly Wings will be removed from the game
    • Currently-owned Sparkly Wings will be replaced by Cenx's Wings.
  • Console-exclusive Pets will be removed from the game
    • Currently-owned exclusive pets will be replaced with a gold bunny each. Feel free to sell him for 10g or put it in your very own bunny cage to replace that pet companionship.
    • There is a chance that a few of these will be revisited at a later date and re-added to the game with revamped art and/or AI.
index.php

• Ocram and his related mobs and summons will be removed from the game.
  • Ocram Mask and Trophy will remain in the game as "legacy" items. Any that exist at the update will remain, but there will be no further way to obtain them in game once the update arrives.
  • Souls of Blight will be removed from the game
  • Players will receive 5g for each Soul of Blight owned (the current sell price of Souls of Blight)

Source

Why is this of interest to PC players? At the moment not much else than that there will probably be some waiting involved till the console catches up to where the PC is nowadays. I guess we won't see much for the PC in the near future. I hope it won't be the whole year they scheduled for the "catching up" phase.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Wait, Cenx is the lead developer now? Talk about DM's Girlfriend Syndrome. :lol:

I got like a billion hours out of the game anyway and have been done with it for a long time. They should have updated the non-PC versions ages ago, good on them.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I'm a little saddened that all that content is just getting erased, but having a unified Terraria is the better option.

That said, I've yet to boot it up and see what the zoom-in function on the UI is like.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The amount of content being removed is less than a drop in the bucket when compared to what will be gained, and frankly some of the console-exclusive stuff (which I was familiar with only via the Wiki) always seemed a bit off or half-baked to me, almost like it was a fan mod rather than divergent development.

Of course the entire game is basically a fan mod. I remember there was some controversy before Terraria was released over the use of Final Fantasy sprites as placeholders. People were really ripping Red a new one, but it ultimately turned out to be the most successful autism simulator since Minecraft and with far more content.

Turjan

Arcane
I'm a little saddened that all that content is just getting erased, but having a unified Terraria is the better option.
Yup. By the way, the XBox 360, PS3 and 3DS versions will remain unchanged, as those won't get the 1.3 update. Those changes only relate to XBox One, PS4 and the upcoming Switch versions.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Yup. By the way, the XBox 360, PS3 and 3DS versions will remain unchanged, as those won't get the 1.3 update. Those changes only relate to XBox One, PS4 and the upcoming Switch versions.

Well duh, why support versions on "obsolete" platforms?

They could probably cram those updates into the PS3 and XBox Crap Machine, but I understand their decision.

Turjan

Arcane

Well duh, why support versions on "obsolete" platforms?

They could probably cram those updates into the PS3 and XBox Crap Machine, but I understand their decision.
I think the reason is even more banal. They changed the developer.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I need more to do in the game, I feel like once you've gone through the motions of exploring every different kind of place, you've done everything to do in the game and replaying is stale.
I built a giant pumpkin to live in in my world.

Turjan

Arcane
At the moment, not much new stuff has been revealed. The next update (1.3.6) is supposed to be targeting mostly under-the-hood stuff, like balancing etc., also some cosmetic things like a bunch of new backgrounds for different biomes, even more furniture sets (Corruption), etc. A new NPC may be included or not. This may still hit sometime this month or next.

They said they have plans for 1.4, but there's no details at all at this point.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
They said they have plans for 1.4, but there's no details at all at this point.

One immediate suggestion I could make which should not be that hard to implement, is to allow for Ocean biomes to spawn elsewhere than just the edges of the map.

Hell, anything that makes Ocean biomes more interesting than they are would be a step up. Imagine going underwater and finding a submerged village.

Turjan

Arcane
Imagine going underwater and finding a submerged village.
If I remember correctly, very early versions of the game had those underground cabins also on the seafloor. At least one of my earliest worlds (a 1.0.x one) has one. Not exactly a village, but hey.

Turjan

Arcane
Where the fuck is Terraria: Otherworld and Terraria 2?
At least for Terraria: Otherworld, the answer would be: probably quite far out. They took it away from the former developer in April, and it's getting rebuilt from the ground up. I must admit I'm not overly interested if the focus is on tower defense.

Whether Terraria 2 got ever even started is anyone's guess.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tried Terraria, but ran into difficulties despite reading the guides:

Why is this not a house ? I have walls doors, lights, furniture... And yet game says I don't have walls. Wtf ?

do you have background walls? (i haven't played in ages but I think you need them.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm guessing the lower right corner is natural dirt wall, and not hand placed?
If so, that'd probably be why.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
IIRC all walls in a valid house must be placed by the player, the game has issues when using (at least some) natural walls in determining what is a valid house.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I really wish there was a way to create natural walls, I want to add mushroom walls to the back of my surface mushroom forest/eternia field but then mobs couldn't spawn.
gnPc5AQ.png

Covenant

Savant
I really wish there was a way to create natural walls, I want to add mushroom walls to the back of my surface mushroom forest/eternia field but then mobs couldn't spawn.

Pretty sure there's a mod that lets you add 'real' mushroom walls that don't prevent mob spawning. Couldn't tell you which one though. Maybe Thorium?

More than seven years now since the original release. It's weird... I'm not really the sort to look at sales figures or go on some godawful games journalism website, but Terraria always seemed to have a pretty universal appeal in terms of genre and I got the impression it was decently popular. I know that the studio they initially hired to do the gaiden game or whatever turned out to be incompetent, but still, it seems a wasted opportunity to have had no sequel or anything in all this time.

Maybe they were just out of ideas on where to go from here. Playing the mods, some of them are really impressive and are good fun to work through, but at the same time there's a strong sense of 'it's just more of the same'. I wonder if the Re-Logic guys are having the same problem with Terraria 2. How do you expand on the 'Mine shit, make gear, kill a boss for better gear, repeat, summon new boss, GOTO 10' thing in a meaningful way?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I can think of a few things. One suggestion is to give the player objectives to complete, but do it on a small scale instead of a grand scale.

Let's say the player starts in a small world, and just mucks about as usual for the starting steps of it. Once the game reaches a certain point, the player is informed what his overall objective for that world is. This could be something as "destroy Boss X" or "build structure X". The biggest problem with that is the the player always has access to a whole world full of resources. So an artificial restriction on some resources could be put in place to add a further challenge. Imagine a world with no natural Iron/Lead, the player would have to scavenge pre-existing materials or come up with another way to get those resources.

Another personal idea of mine would be to have an ocean world, and tasking the player with draining the surface. Good luck getting various resources when they're hundreds of feet underwater.

Once a world's objectives have been completed, it's only natural for the player to be allowed to travel to other, larger worlds with different objectives. Have a sort of level progression through a series of worlds.

So yeah, my suggestions aren't exactly a replacement or addition to the "mine, craft, kill, repeat"-aspect of the game, but it at least adds depth and iterations to it.

Drax

Arcane
AFAIR one of the ideas they had was p. similar to what Starbound tried to make, infinite INFINITY!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom