Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Terrifying DDoS attacks impact Blizzard, PSN, PoE

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
http://www.shacknews.com/article/85...wide-ddos-attack-update-fbi-now-investigating

Blizzard, PlayStation Network, and more under wide DDoS attack [Update: FBI now investigating]
By Ozzie Mejia, Aug 24, 2014 2:42am PDT
Update 4: Lizard Squad has now set their sights on Xbox Live. Xbox Supportconfirms that service has been affected.

Update 3: A Sony Online Entertainment representative has issued a statement to Shacknews in regards to SOE President John Smedley having his flight diverted over a fake bomb threat. The statement reads "I can confirm that at this time the FBI is handling this directly." The rep added that no specifics could be offered, as this has now become a matter of national security.

Update 2: An update has been posted on PlayStation.Blog confirming that no personal information has been stolen in these attacks. The DDoS attacks are persisting and the team is looking to resolve the matter as soon as possible.

Update: Sony has acknowledged the attacks on Twitter.

f4c6bbca1a.png

7adf6c1f4d.png

In addition, since the time of this post, Sony Online Entertainment's servers have been hit, as well. SOE President John Smedley confirmed the attack early Sunday morning.

40749f6e5b.png

The attacks have even gone beyond the realm of DDoS, as Lizard Squad targeted Smedley's San Diego-bound flight with a phony bomb threat. Smedley's flight wasdiverted to Phoenix for security reasons.

We will continue to issue updates as they come in.

Original story: Several gaming servers have been at the receiving end of DDoS attacks over the past several hours. Blizzard's Battle.net servers, Riot's League of Legends, Grinding Gear Games' Path of Exile, and PlayStation Network are among those under attack by a group of hackers calling themselves Lizard Squad.

Several tweets have gone up throughout Saturday evening, in which Lizard Squad has taken responsibility for the attacks. The group started with Blizzard's servers that include Hearthstone, Diablo 3, World of Warcraft and others. The group quickly spread to League of Legends and Path of Exile before deciding to spread their terror to PlayStation Network. The latter's outage is not related to the scheduled maintenance set to begin Monday morning.

The situation is ongoing, as the various staffs work hard to get the servers active again.

b3609b4b15.png

I guess the bomb threat was all they needed to proceed to blanket label DDoSing game servers as "terror," unless Chee-Tos-smeared dwellers being terrified that they'll miss their scheduled Mists of Pandaria raid is a qualifying factor.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Blizzard's Battle.net servers, Riot's League of Legends, Grinding Gear Games' Path of Exile, and PlayStation Network
and nothing of value was lost.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
That's why I labeled this Incline. The Codex didn't notice (or at least say anything) until I found an actual news article about it, meaning few are wallowing in popamole.

Hang on though, Path of Exile is all right.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
That's why I labeled this Incline. The Codex didn't notice (or at least say anything) until I found an actual news article about it, meaning few are wallowing in popamole.

Hang on though, Path of Exile is all right.

POE/GGG seem like cool enough guys as well, a small company trying to carve out a niche.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Since they're doing the rounds targeting all the major places it's obviously a protection racket. Trust me, I know this stuff. I've seen like every episode of Boardwalk Empire and almost stayed awake through all of it.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Stop being cunts. All I wanted to do was back up my saves, but this made it unpossible.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
But why? What do they gain from doing this?

Nothing. This is a false flag attack designed by the Imperialist Cabal to turn the impotent rage of pasty basement dwellers into something useful: namely that in a fit of fervent patriotic rage against those that would deny them the FREEDOM to troll on Xbox Live, they will throw down their controllers and rush to the nearest recruitment center where they will sign up and join the global fight against the terror of a world without MMO's and Console multiplayer, in the bargain serving the interests of the rulers who need more cannon fodder. Note the use of the Islamist bogeyman:

A Twitter account that has claimed responsibility for attacking Sony and the other video games firms has linked the attacks to the jihadist group Islamic State, posting: "Kuffar [non-muslims] don't get to play videogames until bombing of the ISIL stops."

I would actually donate to ISIL if they took down Origin and Uplay as well.

Whiran

Magister
What's the point of that?

Especially crushing PoE.
I was playing Path of Exile over the weekend and didn't notice anything.

I guess my route to the Path of Exile servers wasn't impacted by their shenanigans. I mean.. terror.

As to what they get out of it? Internet cred? I dunno. I'd guess that it was more of a, "hey, look at what I can do!" thing as opposed to anything else. Since it seemed unplanned and pretty much spur of the moment I bet they'll get caught and then realize, "oh, maybe that wasn't the best of ideas."

It's not like what they did took "hacking skill" since it was probably just using a pre-existing botnet packaged with a hacking tool app with a slick interface where you just push a button to do the denial of service attack.

Hopefully many of the infected systems that took part in this thing will be identified and maybe cleaned?

himmy

Arcane
The statement reads "I can confirm that at this time the FBI is handling this directly." The rep added that no specifics could be offered, as this has now become a matter of national security.

:kwafuckyeah:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Obviously, it's a plot from the Sacred 3 developpers who are pissed that their game is not as popular as Diablo 3.

Or maybe someone at Blizzard made a joke about sleeping with a reviewer and someone overheard it and got pissed.

Shannow

Waster of Time
But why? What do they gain from doing this?
While PoE and LoL don't really fit, the others are all big corporations. It might come as a shock to many, but large corporations are not universally loved.
But you could just as well ask why people troll in those games/the internet.

No Great Name

Arcane
The statement reads "I can confirm that at this time the FBI is handling this directly." The rep added that no specifics could be offered, as this has now become a matter of national security.

:kwafuckyeah:
Hell yeah. Momentarily taking down game servers is obviously akin to acts of terrorism. The president himself has probably already given the ok for the Marines to execute those sons-of-bitches.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom