Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

That age-old question: Which F:NV ending did you pick?

Who rolls the chips in town, baby?

• Total voters

Wulfstand

Prophet
I've been blasting through the Fallout series over the past few weeks (F1, 2 and now New Vegas), and despite the fact that I hate the game's engine, I've grown to really like New Vegas' story and characters. By the time I reached the Lonesome Road (which I think is the best of the 4 dlcs, both story and gameplay wise, despite the on-rails nature of both of them), I got pretty immersed into the whole game and started to accept it as a good sequel to the first two games, a diamond in the rough.

But enough about that, let's talk about what we think is the best ending for the Mojave. It's what caught my attention the most throughout the game. Fallout New Vegas is probably the most "political" game in the series. Politics is what drives the main storyline of the game. As expected, when it comes to politics, most people will have their own individual interpretation as to what should and should not happen to the Mojave, and that's what should make the thread interesting. I'll go first.

Initially I was thinking on joining the NCR, which I imagine is what happened to most people during their introductory hours of the game. The NCR were the only familiar group I could recognize in NV's setting, after having finished the first two games. Tandi's bears grew big enough to engulf most of the West, and now I could help "fight the good fight" against a large group of slavers, gathered under the banner of a ruthless leader. Nipton especially was an interesting setup, as once you've seen what the Legion does with its inhabitants, it makes even less sense for the player to actually want to side with the way the Legion is depicted in that town: an army of extreme ideological terrorists, raising a whole city to the ground based solely on the way they chose to behave. That having been said, and to make a long story short, after catching up on the sum of the faults within the NCR, I lost interest in ultimately siding with them for the battle at Hoover Dam.

An interesting point that swayed me in other directions was this quick conversation that you get to have with Caesar. I don't know much about Hegelian dialectics. He's arguably one of the most difficult philosophers within the whole Canon, from what I've read. This post mentions that J.E. Sawyer specifically wanted to add in the Hegelian explanation for Caesar's reasoning. In any case, that conversation made me understand the political conflict easier. What I gathered, was that neither the NCR, neither the Legion were the right answers, they simply acted as thesis and antithesis. Later on, Ulysses tells you of the same idea, in his final audio-log. A corrupt democracy against a harsh, totalitarian autocracy. Both would eventually see their demise: the Legion would fall in disarray once Caesar died, whereas the NCR would lose states due to insufficient troops and incompetent governance. Caesar(/Sawyer)'s resulting synthesis out of the conflict over Vegas could only be either House, or Yes-Man. I might just be heavily internalizing it.

To cut to the chase, I think that ultimately the best ending is for you to side with Mr. House. Yes-Man is a risky bet that requires the player to pay close attention to a lot of the side-quests, and even then the results might vary. House is the safe bet.

Something that I've read around the internet and I wholeheartedly agree with is how the developers didn't have either enough time or budget (or both) to more amply develop Caesar's Legion. You only get to see the Legion's war-fort and none of the communities that live under it. Ulysses tells you that Caesar's Legion does a much better job at taking care of its public than the NCR does, an opinion that is echoed by a few traveling merchants that you get to meet. Of course, the Legion's harsh conquering tactics would fit a post-post-apocalyptic Wasteland that's striving to rebuild its society (while still being filled to the brim with either murdering bandits or mutated monsters) way better than it would our own world. But with what little we get I feel like the average modern player, after Nipton, will just see them as an ISIS correlative and keep it at that. Most of your followers won't agree with your siding with Caesar. Arcade Gannon even kills himself if you sell him to Caesar as a slave, despite being the latter's personal favorite talk-buddy. Then again, Cassidy's daughter ends up spewing a bastardized quote from Fitzgerald as her dying words if you decide to side with House, which I guess should be the developers' way of saying that you should probably side with Yes-Man and rule the Mojave yourself instead?

Last edited:

Ziggy

Scholar
Most people live in NCR, which stretched its resources way too thin hoping for it to pay off with the energy they would get from the Hoover Dam. In independent ending they get jack shit. In House ending they get even less. And obviously, legion ending would leave the west look less civilized than bethesda fallout. Every non-NCR ending is fucked.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
The one where I get pawned by the Legion assassins hunting me down in the middle of the desert like a dog.
Without a chance to survive because I "specialized" in sniper rifles and didn't really train with the backup shotgun I had with me.
I guess I could have run away but I decided to simply scrap that char and forget about sniper builds in this game (they don't work with VATS anyway).

And I didn't even get to see the Vegas Strip.
:codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

Will try it again some day.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Don't know nor care what would be an "objectively best choice", I don't look at it like that. But when I played the game the first time back then, even though I planned and started for NCR, due to how certain events unfolded I ended up with Legion. (Went for House ending after that, but that's about as much as I've played the game.)

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
House, with a good NCR relations.

You get to keep one of the greatest scientific minds alive, the Legion are defeated, and the NCR get their energy and lose the Mojave, which a lot of NPCs (even NCR ones) seem to think would be a good thing saying how they're stretched too thin and expanding too quickly.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Yes men. #killallextroverts

The Courier is a borderline godlike being towards the end of the game, he can rule the wastes with his army of killer bots.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
1st time Pre-DLC: Yes Man. No one tells me what to do. Except for that robot.
2nd time All DLC: Caesar because why not.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
REMINDER THAT CAESAR DID NOTHING WRONG
HE KEPT THOSE NIGGERS IN CHECK

But in a serious note I completed all of them.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Completed all of them, but I liked the Wild Card ending. After House tells me to kill the Brotherhood of Steel, I go to Yes Man instead. Not that I like the Brotherhood of Steel because I fucking hate them. I usually play the pacifist, and New Vegas is awesome that you can complete the whole game without killing anyone.

The only good ending is Caesar's, though. He peacefully lords over the land after cleaning up a bit.

Wulfstand

Prophet
REMINDER THAT CAESAR DID NOTHING WRONG
HE KEPT THOSE NIGGERS IN CHECK

But in a serious note I completed all of them.

What if Obsidian were Iron Tower shills all along, and the Legion ending is a prequel to Age of Decadence? :balance:

I've added a poll.

My only problem with Yes Man is that at the end of the game he ceases to be a 'yes man' altogether, after merging himself with Mr. House's database and supposedly becoming more 'assertive'. It kind of makes me believe that'll make him turn on you, eventually. It's also the path that requires the most time investment into the game, I think. You really need to finish as many side quests as possible in order to get a satisfying ending with Yes Man, but with that requirement met I can easily see him as the most rewarding ending.

Last edited:

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
My only problem with Yes Man is that at the end of the game he ceases to be a 'yes man' altogether, after merging himself with Mr. House's database and supposedly becoming more 'assertive'. It kind of makes me believe that'll make him turn on you, eventually.

Its not like Courier had any intention to stay in Mojave and retire on his/her Brahmin Ranch anyway; He is a drifter a post apocalyptic Kane who wonder the wasteland and bring a change and misfortune with him; I could left the game after Benny died with a bullet or two shot from his own gun if not for me as player curiosity... Also seeing him crucified by Caesar is highly spirit lifting experience. The best endings for common peoples are Caesar and House of course who both run tight ship and can guarantee people of Mojave stability and prosperity. NCR is just as corrupt and decadent as Modern Kwa are while Yes Man ending will just leave the chaos for others to settle. There should be ending to persuade Caesar to hire BoS as His techno Praetorians though... after all their agenda of securing technology from manboon masses and his agenda of securing the people from decadence over reliance on technology brings are well matched.

Mozg

Arcane
I remember I did House up to the point that he told me to kill the BoS, then grudgingly went Yes Man. It wasn't so much that he was sure the BoS would cause problems (they would) but that he wouldn't accede to the PC's demand even if it was gonna cost him a lot when he's supposed to be Mr. Rational Negotiator and Westphalian, because a lot is less than everything. On a meta-level I thought it was a flat, out-of-character way to make House a nastier ending.

OTOH I thought it was pretty cool when Yes Man hinted darkly that I wasn't going to be able to control him, because I'd killed the only person that was equipped to use Yes Man productively and Benny'd myself.

Unwanted

Neyuzivit

Unwanted
I dont remember. I probably killed everyone and everything possible. There can only be one.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Mr. House. Because:

- NCR are well-meaning but morons ruled by the oligarchs. They need a set-back so they can start to do some soul-searching.
- Legion are well, Legion.
- Yes-Man is a plan with no sucession - after the Courier dies, who is going to be the next top dog?

Mr. House has a plan, a simple, rational and clever plan. He will keep order, and bring prosperity. His high-intelligence means efficient administration. He is a autocrat, but not a opressor.

As long as Courier can switch off his golden throne its second best choice.

:mrpresident:

Caesar Legion only true ending, free from any Librul corruption.

:vivelafrance::russiastronk::cheersmate::mrpresident:

Ałe, True to Kaizar. :salute:

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
There are actually five endings.

Blow up the dam so no one benefits. The nihilistic ending.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Good karma house + good karma OWB will literally save humanity from drowning in its own quicksand made of shit

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom