Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Amazing X-COM Thread

Gord

Arcane
Woah, pretty cool.
Replay incoming, I guess...

Now all we need is someone to implement bloom. :M

Rabidredneck

Liturgist
Definitely planning on trying out the OpenXCom when I have some time. It's supposed to be fully moddable, so it'll be interesting to see what people come up for it.

Gord

Arcane
Soon-ish...

iBviTcQ.png

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Call me late to the party. I have started, for the very first time, playing the first UFO : Enemy Unknown game. I have never touched the X-Com series at all before that. I am getting my ass wiped even on the easiest level, but on each playthrough, I'm learning some new stuff and playing better. Those ass wipings are the best ass wipings I ever had.

Luka-boy

Arcane

its-happening59qqd.gif

Known Issues:
  • Save converter doesn’t work.
  • No standard mods for TFTD yet.
  • Subs can fire over land.
Maybe X-Com finally developed flying subs. It's a futuristic setting where they have alien technology after all:M

Unwanted

The Nameless Pun

Unwanted
Did u guys tried Xenonauts? Its like first xcom but better.
Now that I think about it, I've heard very good things about Ufo Extraterrestrials, has anyone played it? And also Xenonauts. Does anyone have more info about these games?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
"The making of: X-Com": http://www.pcgamesn.com/x-com-ufo-defense/the-making-of-x-com

X-Com Interceptor followed in ‘98, as did X-Com First Alien Invasion in ‘99, and lastly X-Com Enforcer in 2001 - all of which suffered underwhelming reviews, causing Gollop to believe they’d be ruthlessly churned out off the back of the original’s success. He believed X-Com had lost sight of what made it special, something he held so dear.

There was a point where he’d almost had enough.

“I’m not sure I’ve told anyone else this, actually,” says Gollop. “But at the point that Take2 made the first announcement of an X-Com game, which became The Bureau, when they first announced it was going to be an FPS, I was so outraged that I was determined that I would start a crowdfunding campaign to do a proper X-Com game. I changed my mind when Fireaxis announced their version of X-Com because I knew they would actually do a pretty good job of it. There was a brief period there were I was going to do it, but it didn’t last.”

With Fireaxis’ successful take on X-Com, Gollop feels he’s now in a position to let it go. He laments how redundant the Geoscape function became in the game’s transition to FPS, yet it’s small change given how lost he reckons the series was beforehand, and how well Fireaxis did in reviving it.

:negative:

PeachPlumage

Cipher
Is OpenTFTD at a good place yet? Is it stable?

According to the news post at OpenXcom as of 31st October, OpenTFTD is getting there in terms of stability. You might want to have a look and to donwnload the nighties if you want to give OpenTFTD a try. In addition, OpenApocprogress has been updated!

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have started my first open X-com playthrough, superhuman.
How should I start?
I have equipped most people with 3 or 4 grenades, and the ones who have better aim than grenade aim with either rocket launchers or autocannons loaded with HE. I have also bought a rocket HWP.
What should I build first? Alien containment, then living quarters and general store? Should I get a large Radar ASAP?
What about base 2? When should I build it?
For research, I have gond laser ->laser pistol->laser rifle.
What should I research after the laser rifles? plasma (I got my first ones), motion scanners, medikits? Alloy? Something else?

SymbolicFrank

Magister
The best thing about the original X-COM was the sheer brutality: recruits had a life expectancy measured in minutes, and if you wanted to, you could simply blow up and destroy everything.

Not one of the "sequels" got that right.

Efe

Erudite
why do people prefer earlier games to x-com apocalypse? what was wrong with it?

Luka-boy

Arcane
Open X-Com is adding a stats screen at the end of the game.

screen01937rdc.png

Can't wait for the cock measuring contests among veterans of the games.

Themadcow

Augur
Yeah, so the crowdfunding campaign is now up for Julian "X-Com" Gollop's new game, Phoenix Point. It looks bloody amazing - pretty much what the XCOM reboots could have been if they were a bit more ambitious. Proper Geoscape, competing/co-operating human factions, aliens that learn and adapt using elements of procedural generation....

NNNNGGGGGGG....

TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/phoenix-point

Have to wait until 2018 though :(

* edit - utterly failed to notice the thread on it

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
Currently playing UFO Extraterrestrial. halfway point, where the biggest alien craft, battleship, appear. I might finally complete this game at hardest difficulty.

UFO2ET is still not clear on release date. Might be in 2018, might be not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom