Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Arx Fatalis Thread

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
The most disappointing part of Arx Fatalis is that there is no sequel. I always wanted to know what they would do with the world. And of course it would have given them a chance to improve (replace?) the spell system, tweak the balance and work on the combat.

Eyeball

Arcane
Hey look Orgasm, your post count increased by 1! Isn't that amazing, you don't even have to play the game to sound off on it!

Orgasm

Barely Literate
Admiral jimbob said:
I'm pretty sure Orgasm also enjoys soiling himself in public and throwing it at children, though.
How do you know?! :oops:
Why at children though, man, got something to say to us?

Orgasm

Barely Literate
I am not seeing the arguing from grown up adults...

Orgasm

Barely Literate
51141570-aef2-4d87-846d-334ad99ab36b.gif

Castanova

Prophet
Orgasm said:
And if the OP who likes Morroderp disses Arx, than its hopeless. You're a fucking moron.

I liked the world in Morrowind. The game itself is very boring and I've never gotten more than like 10 hours into it.

Yume

Novice
Castanova said:
It also really irritated me that magic was useless in the final boss battle. In that moment the game temporarily switched from RPG to bad action game.

If I am not mistaken you only have to hit the final boss once with the sword, then you can damage him normally. But maybe this was a bug and later fixed, I don't know that.

Castanova

Prophet
No, I know you can hit him with spells. It's just that he puts on a reflection shield thing which makes it dangerous. It was safer to just exploit the glitchiness and smack him repeatedly with the sword and my 8 strength.

Orgasm

Barely Literate
Castanova said:
Orgasm said:
And if the OP who likes Morroderp disses Arx, than its hopeless. You're a fucking moron.

I liked the world in Morrowind. The game itself is very boring and I've never gotten more than like 10 hours into it.
My sincere apologies, good sir. It wont happen again.

Gord

Arcane
Have to agree with OP on most things.
Still, the game was great fun. Too bad it never got a sequel, ending is basically hinting at it.

Now that the source code has been made public I hope someone picks it up to improve the game.

Data4

Arcane
I only tinkered with AF years ago and was quickly turned off by the casting system. I see talk of "memorized spells"-- does this mean you can assign a few spells to an action bar to avoid having to draw the runes? If so, I might give it another look. I can see having a few utility spells at the ready while focusing more on melee. I remember the atmosphere was great, but I couldn't be arsed to do anything with rune drawing.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
If you draw a spell while holding control, instead of casting it you memorize it. You can store three spells at once this way, for later use.

Castanova

Prophet
Actually, Ctrl is for casting spells in general. You need to hold Ctrl + Shift to memorize a spell.

Anyway, Data4, you can memorize up to three spells at once and can insta-cast them using the #1-3 keys. So, yeah, playing a melee with some memorized utility spells would work out. Conversely, you can play a pure mage and memorize three fireballs.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
No, shift is for casting, ctrl is for sneaking, hold cast + sneak together while drawing the runes and you memorize it.

Data4

Arcane
So if I'm reading this right, you preload a single instance of the spell with the key combo, but after you use it, you have to memorize it again. Is that right?

Gord

Arcane
Yes, that's right, no "hotkey" for binding specific spells.

IIRC, you can memorize up to 3 spells which are then single-use.

yellowcake

Arcane
I'm playing Arx Fatalis now and I can't say I'm having my ass torn off. I love the graphix, the game is seriously very pretty and has some very atmospheric locations - I had my jaw dropped when approaching the outpost for the first time or when visiting the Arx City itself. My favourite was probably the icy cavern on level 2. The engine feels solid although you can get stuck in tight places fairly often.
Unfortunately all these pretty locations are kinda empty and there's not much to do besides following main quest. There are few people to talk to and characters are forgettable, not many monsters to fight. So the locations, the mechanics, the "vessels" are there but the game kinda lacks content. I'm doing the Crypt now and the puzzles seem to be forced and not very coherent with the environment. Anyway, I like it for the feeling and atmosphere, one can see that Arcane wanted to make a tribute to UU but lacked the brains to design something epic to fill it up with.

Eyeball

Arcane
I'm playing Arx Fatalis now and I can't say I'm having my ass torn off. I love the graphix, the game is seriously very pretty and has some very atmospheric locations - I had my jaw dropped when approaching the outpost for the first time or when visiting the Arx City itself. My favourite was probably the icy cavern on level 2. The engine feels solid although you can get stuck in tight places fairly often.
Unfortunately all these pretty locations are kinda empty and there's not much to do besides following main quest. There are few people to talk to and characters are forgettable, not many monsters to fight. So the locations, the mechanics, the "vessels" are there but the game kinda lacks content. I'm doing the Crypt now and the puzzles seem to be forced and not very coherent with the environment. Anyway, I like it for the feeling and atmosphere, one can see that Arcane wanted to make a tribute to UU but lacked the brains to design something epic to fill it up with.
Yeah, wait until you meet Ylsides. Your close-range fighter will get skullfucked.

Do yourself one of the biggest favours a video gaming man could and play as a spellcaster. Not only is the game brutally difficult as anything BUT a caster, it is also 10.000 times more enjoyable. Arx is 9/10 as a caster, 6.5/10 as a warrior.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Yeah, wait until you meet Ylsides. Your close-range fighter will get skullfucked.

Tell me about it. I've just smacked down the meteor of Akbaa, so I use a teleport to get back to the ranch Arx Castle and SUDDENLY MASSIVE YLSIDE RAPE.

I pretty much had only 2 possible ways of handling it and I took the more cheesy one because they'd rape me down in 3-4 hits. Either lure them all to the throne room, cast levitation and riddle them full of arrows (while spamming health potions on the way there, fucking haste bullshit) or use an interesting bug that I found out by accident while running for my life - apparently, when the ylsides would follow me up the stairs to the private chambers in the throne room and I'd jump over the chest-high wall down again, they'd sheathe their swords and just run around me getting pounded. I laughed at the prospect of fighting them fair and square as I whacked them and whacked them and whacked them AND THEN SOME MORE for like 5 minutes each before they'd finally go down. Shit's ridonkulous.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
lolololol, hope you looted the crypt

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom