Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Arx Fatalis Thread

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Are you talking about the ice caves level? That's the only part I remember which had to do with stalagmites. I shot the stalagmite down from the roof, but never ended up using it. I just jumped the gap to the left of the stairs and got to the dragon that way.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm writing about the previous levitating you had to do to cross the valley to get to that part, which almost inevitably ended up by humping against the ridge of the drop if you didn't hump a stalagmite before casting for a bit of elevation.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Hmm, I didn't have much trouble either, but in general the levitate spell was pretty shit because you didn't have controls to ascend or descend.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
How in hell does one identify Inut's sword? I rised my object knowledge over 100 (just to check how much i need - had a lot of spare skill points) and it's still unidentified.

Siel

Arcane
Patron
I don't know if it's the right thread, but anyway here we go:

Playing Arx for the first time. I have to say it "aged like whine" for a 2002 title. Looks quite nice.
I have it on Steam and I have some serious issues with the mouse sometimes. For exemple if I open any menu or the tips book, my mouse slows down and it becomes pretty hard to use it.
Did anyone have this problem and did they manage to fix it?

Drax

Arcane
I remember trying to play this game about a year ago and after 20 minutes of jerking my mouse around, I shot myself in the face with a shotgun.
Is there some way not to have to use the mouse to cast spells?

Siel

Arcane
Patron
I remember trying to play this game about a year ago and after 20 minutes of jerking my mouse around, I shot myself in the face with a shotgun.
Is there some way not to have to use the mouse to cast spells?

I don't know about that yet but what's wrong with casting spells? I haven't tried to use spells in intense combats yet but it doesn't sound too complicated. Or is it?

Eyeball

Arcane
Spellcasting in Arx is easy once you get the hang of it and it is also the best magic system ever devised, requiring spell memorisation, sufficient casting stat and mana and actual manual dexterity. One of the most fun bossfights I've ever played was having to run around a small room, jumping and dodging over obstacles while trying to Draw the runes for my fuckshitup spell while trying to stay away from the oneshotting demon following me.

In short: Practice moar.

If you're having trouble casting the spells under pressure, you can "save" up to 3 spells for precasting by holding ctrl (I think) and drawing the runes. This allows you to fire 3 fireballs in quick succession if you prepare them before fights.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yes, which is why you can save the spells you need in advance. The game is a little unbalanced and 2 fireballs will probably kill anything you meet- and you can save 3 spells. Figure it out!

Misconnected

Savant
It's been an age, so don't ask me how, but you can "memorise" a few spells which basically lets you cast with a keystroke. But it's only a couple of spells, so you'll run out very, very quickly. My advice would be to not play a wizzer. The gesture shit is waaay too exacting, and pretty much can't be done in combat as you'll be disrupted.

Eyeball, I wish I shared your opinion, because it's otherwise a really good game. To me, though, the interface was awkward with painful on top. And not just the mouse gesture stuff either. It also has XTRME HEDBUB DLUX, as if you're white water rafting through the dark corridors of Arx, a feature that never fails to unendear games to me in a major way. I dunno, I can't shake the suspicion that game developers are these weird ungainly creatures, waddling along on an uneven number of legs of uneven length, seeing the world - but barely - through thick and reflective lenses lathered up with a fat layer of grease (though bloom, thank fuck, wasn't invented yet when Arx was). I mean, human beings have eyes that correct for normal movement, and we don't see lens flares, nor is every line and silhouette fuzzy or every surface hyper-reflective to us.

Gaem devs.. They're aliens! And pitiable ones, at that.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I tried Arx Libertatis...
Found some info about casting - move mouse on the small square instead of the whole screen. Worked.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Mouse gesturing spells are painful. Even following the advice and making them on small napkin sized square it's high probability of failing. Especially some symbols. I don't remember which one but there was this one symbol that i could get right maybe one time out of ten, because it was obviously meant to be drawn in slightly different way than the game tells you, but i couldn't figure out the nuance. Making these spells in the heat of the real time combat, especially the high level ones must be madness (never went with a full blown mage). Unless you enjoy twitchy games, fcourse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom