Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Arx Fatalis Thread

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
As I recall, fireballs and harm make most of the game pretty trivial.

Aenra

Until you reach the crypts, upon which point the game slowly transforms into a Tomb Raider wannabe.
But yes, magic is definitely easy-mode; game being as it is balance-wise, that is not necessarily a bad thing though so feel free to go down that road if you fancy.

Since you mention Libertaatis, if you want my advice, stick to that alone. There is a newer mod out that can be installed on top of it, adding further crafting recipes and a few (so he'd like to think) QoL stuff
What it actually does is render any semblance of ingame economy non existent, along with changing game elements that were perfectly fine in the first place, on top of further boosting magic builds while simultaneously sticking a nice one over melee or ranged. Just leaving it here, since it also comes with the obligatory save files incompatibility, so be warned :)

Essegi

Cipher
Thanks guys. Seems ok then. I was wondering if there are some nasty opponents immune to magic or if not increasing defence/con would be a bad idea, but also not bor or if object knowledge is interesting.

Aenra, i absolutely want to go with just Libertatis, so it's like playing with the unmodded game (also there's a friend that was interested to see if that release has issues).

Last edited:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Last update of the Liberatis source code was 19 hours ago... so....

L2compile?

Also spoiler semi-related to what you asked

there are magic free zones in the game but the opponent you find there can only be killed with a multistage puzzle

Last edited:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The only thing i remember is a very difficult jump in one of the lower levels (more difficult than in the original physics that is). It's not impossible so don't be discouraged if it wasn't fixed.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Wasn't the very final boss magic immune? I remember having a lot of trouble with him.

Severian Silk

Can you split your points between melee and magic and still have a viable build? Or is it best to specialize?

valcik

Arcane
Yes you can. Last time I played with 8 points in Strenght, enough to wield scimitar and wear chain mail, with all the other points spend on magical gizmo. Worked like a charm, I just roflstomped with a pair of fireballs through any Ylside in the end. Your spells are scaled by level of your character, so you only need decent amount of mana and your spellcasting won't suffer at all.

Ivan

Arcane
gonna try this out (first time)

is it best to go in blind or consult with yall to see what are good builds?

bloodlover

Arcane
Isn't a full warrior type char very hard to play? I remember people raging about the Ylsides on the forums while pure mages were laughing because they claimed to faceroll the entire game.

Gord

Arcane
It's fine to play a pure fighter for most of the game, but the Ylsides are a pain in the ass to fight.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Played a bit of Arx EotS. Few impressions. First - character get hunger insanely fast.
Two - Arx is under quarantine due rats invasion.
Hmm, does that mean these rat assassins from Arx Fatalis get more focus?
Why I can't hide my fists? Not that anyone react to my punches.
And my goodness, loading screens, lot of them and they're minute long... hope it get solved at release, after all FMs for The Dark Mod don't have these things.

Kahr

Just finished it today (first time) with Arx Libertatis (1.1.2 "Rhaa Movis"). Overall a very positive experience.

But it seems like chosing the mage way was a bad choice. The magic system is pretty dumb.
The attacks are far too overpowered [fireball or (mass) incinerate] and one wouldn't be able to kill anything without that 3 prepared spells as painting these signs in combat is too annoying.
You stand still ---> You get hit, the screen wobbles and you fail.
You walk away from the enemy ---> The painting doesn't work anymore.

Also they could've made like 5 more enemy types; especially for the levels 5-8.
Rats are getting boring fast.

For some riddles hints would be great. Maybe i missed them, but it felt very cryptic sometimes.
For example near the end where you have to use that candle on the skull to get this key.
Or the fact that you have to take this Akbaa rocks with you. I would have never guessed that. Looked like items to sell for me.
Now to the bugs:
- some graphicals, i don't care about
-
An invincible ratman in level 6. Interesting but doesn't annoy me either.
-
The "boss fight": I don't get it. He just stands there with his turquoise shield on and does nothing; no demons, no lightnings.
As a mage i used fireball of course. But he seems to be magic resistant. (from what i read only in this turquoise shield form)
So i whacked him with the sword, which took like 5 minutes to do, because of my low strenght. Amazing fight.

Also there was this weird black thing which was bugin around in the floor:

CklLB6n.jpg

3AlwCxP.jpg

Is it a tentacle of him? How is that possible? ...

Now to the story:

Of course shit, evil god, chosen one yadda yadda, oy vey. But did these snake women really give up that easily? That was pathetic.

And what about that cutscene
with alia when you give her Krahoz and Zohark (lel)
is that just for fun or does it have any sense whatsover?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished it today (first time) with Arx Libertatis (1.1.2 "Rhaa Movis"). Overall a very positive experience.
Congrats, a really cool RPG.

But it seems like chosing the mage way was a bad choice. The magic system is pretty dumb.
No, the right choice. It is a bit unbalanced, but it's cool conceptually (the way atomic effects combine into composite spells), has a lot of utility besides combat, and better than melee combat. And fireball looks damn cool. Also, I had no problems drawing the spells in combat. Of course against powerful enemies like the Ylsides, you do want to prepare 3 in advance, because those guys kill fast, but the drawing itself was ok.

For some riddles hints would be great. Maybe i missed them, but it felt very cryptic sometimes.
Agree absolutely. I enjoyed some puzzles in Arx, but it was very uneven, with some being incredibly obscure, and if I hadn't looked them up online, I would still be stuck in it. If you haven't yet, play Ultima Underworld, the game that Arx was supposed to be a follow-up to (it was supposed to be UU3), it's basically the same structure as Arx, but older graphics/controls, BUT much better puzzles.

-
The "boss fight": I don't get it. He just stands there with his turquoise shield on and does nothing; no demons, no lightnings.
I had the same issue, it's a bug with Arx Libertatis I believe. They listed it as having been fixed years ago, but obviously it's not. Oh well, you still need this mod as without it, the game is completely glitched on modern systems, so there is no way around this as far as I know.

Now to the story:

Of course shit, evil god, chosen one yadda yadda, oy vey. But did these snake women really give up that easily? That was pathetic.
The story is pretty forgettable, but the setting is damn cool. I loved the ending trailer.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
It's fine to play a pure fighter for most of the game, but the Ylsides are a pain in the ass to fight.
I played the game as a pure fighter with almost all points in improving armor and combat, and getting owned by Ylsides. I could only beat them by using cheap tactics but there isn't a lot of room to correct bad builds. Think I was level 7 or 8 by the time I finished the game. I ended spending all my points on level 6 and 7 on magic just so I could properly damage them. Was kind of annoyed but overall, for all its faults, I really liked this game.

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Finished Arx a couple of days ago myself. They could've don something amazing by pursuing the idea of the Guild of Travellers, traveling through hostile cold environments on the surface of a frozen planet to visit other cities and locations to find out more about your past, instead of letting it devolve into a fucking Chosen One vs Ancient Evil plot :negative:
It is a very fun game though.

Gord

Arcane
I played the game as a pure fighter with almost all points in improving armor and combat, and getting owned by Ylsides. I could only beat them by using cheap tactics but there isn't a lot of room to correct bad builds.

It's been a while, but from what I remember my biggest problem with them was their build-in self-destruct. I think I did need to take some care not to attract to many of them at once, though.

Kahr

It's been a while, but from what I remember my biggest problem with them was their build-in self-destruct.
Does the self-destruct usually make damage like in Deus Ex? Nothing like that in Arx Libertatis for me.
I thought it's because you shouldn't get their armors...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom