Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
About M'Khiin's departure - I vaguely remember that it depends on something whether she, or anyone else, leaves. Don't quote me on that, though.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Lilura, I remember a mod where there was a certain party that was supposed to kill you and there was a whole organization behind. It had tons of clone items, op weapons and so on.
The mod was for BG1. Do you know which mod I'm referring to?

It's called Dark Horizons. I've added it to the write-up, added a list of the craftable items, and posted a pic of my BG Charname end-stats.

dwarf%2Btank.jpg

soulburner

Cipher
Technical question: is it possible to add a CRT scanline effect to BG1 and BG2? I think it wouldn't be too hard with something like ReShade and the Enhanced Editions, but I'd like the most retro effect as possible ;)

Last edited:

Mojobeard

Augur
Technical question: is it possible to add a CRT scanline effect to BG1 and BG2? I think it wouldn't be too hard with something like ReShade and the Enhanced Editions, but I'd like the most retro effect as possible ;)
You can often find those effects sold in flea markets and yard sales for 10-20€, which can be haggled down to half of that. Or hell, they can even give those effects for free sometimes, since they take up so much space.

Mojobeard

Augur
Well other than that, you've answered your own question, Reshade is it. Use OpenGL.
I use SweetFX a lot on newer games to take the pissfilter out, so I have some expertise. But no matter how I much tweak the CRT effects, they just plain do not look that good? Scanlines are comedically strong, rest look like a mix of bloom and chromatic aberration, no matter what you do with them. Some have this weird sharpening filter which combined with the scanlines just makes everything hard to read. I'd show some screenshots, but they don't show up on the captures.
Phone worked though:
qFiXpEw.jpg

soulburner

Cipher
Hmm, too bad. I tested the scanlines filter in dgVoodoo with some old game and it worked and I think it looked quite alright.

Ultimately, I think I'm gonna go and look for my old 17 inch CRT display and have some fun with it :)

Parabalus

Arcane
That guy is like a mental patient from the Asylum, those had some crazies too. The quest he gives you is one of the coolest in SoD, like Lacrymas says.

Much worse are the NPCs who are supposed to be taken seriously but are comically bad.

Lacrymas

Arcane
What I find distasteful is people posting these snippets, trying to show that SoD is bad. Well, it is, but it's as bad as PoE base game, just in different aspects. It's certainly playable with a specific mindset, just like PoE, and I recommend one playthrough. Just for the good ol' IE combat if nothing else.

Yosharian

Arcane
What I find distasteful is people posting these snippets, trying to show that SoD is bad. Well, it is, but it's as bad as PoE base game, just in different aspects. It's certainly playable with a specific mindset, just like PoE, and I recommend one playthrough. Just for the good ol' IE combat if nothing else.

There is no dialogue in POE that is as cringey as that. POE's dialogue isn't great, in fact it's often poor, but it's nowhere near that level. That 'snippet' is one of the worst pieces of dialogue I've ever read.

Lacrymas

Arcane
98% of dialogue isn't like that, so don't worry about it.

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
The point being that my review did in fact point all of these things (I even said the glasses you get are the coolest item in the game). The game itself has its high points in terms of dungeon crawling, encounters and even the AI is an improvement on the base game (although not yet on the level of modding). All the while the writing and the story are subpar.

I mean, if you see something like

14711.jpg

and you don't get the message, whose fault is it really?

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm currently replaying Vampire: Redemption, and the dialogue is bad - but its so bad its actually good, and since it came before Bloodlines there was nothing to compare it to, so it just fit the game.
Christof: "I have spilt my wickedness upon thy busom!".

What Beamdog did would be like making an expansion pack to Bloodlines with cringy Redemption dialogue and tone. And to post every "snippet" in SOD would be to post most of the game. So I applaud anyone's effort.

Edit: Not only that, but Redemption acutally had a sentence structure from a writer who has English as their first language, or who's brain wasn't fried by drugs, or who hadn't written the whole thing at the 11th hour with no time left for proof reading.
Except MCA, but he probably just had to pay the bills.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Redemption's dialogue isn't bad at all, it's like a Shakespearean drama, but less good. "I have spilt my wickedness on thy bosom" is a pretty good sentence that betrays a lot of character from the one saying it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom