Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

pippin

:neveraskedforthis: indeed.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I don't give a flying fuck about BG:EE bullshit or circle-jerking dreams of BG3.

Which auto-pause, if any, options do you guys like to use? Pause on Enemy Sighted seems to be a no brainer. I tried the auto-pause at end of round but it seems to pause at the end of every characters round, making me press the pause button a lot.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
The only game I've used auto-pause in is the KotOR games because it's the default option to auto-pause when a character is knocked unconscious. Never used it in the IE games and never will.

Athelas

Arcane
Pause when enemy sighted/trap detected is pretty much the only thing that's needed: the other options are more annoying than helpful, with the possible exception of Pause when target gone in the more intensive battles.

Though when using Imrpoved Alacrity, I like to enable Pause when spell cast.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I use many, because I am lazy and slow, and this is just how I like it.

- enemy sighted
- trap spotted
- ally critically wounded
- out of ammo
- spell cast
- weapon ineffective

DragoFireheart

@here yeah I do find pause when target is gone is useful for intensive battles, but random trash like kobolds or whatever makes it less useful because of how mindless those fights are.

Spell cast isn't an option in Vanilla BG1 but that's not an issue really.

EDIT: Oh, and Web is still ridiculously overpowered. Ran into some bandits, they shot my -4 AC leader to death. Reloaded, went back but this time had Dynaheir cast two webs at them then shot them to death. Easy and dead.

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Baldur's Gate retrospective at RPGWatch: http://www.rpgwatch.com/articles/the-nostalgia-files--baldurs-gate-270.html

The Nostalgia Files is Aubrielle's look at those things from earlier times we consider valuable. Old games, and new games that remind us of old ones, fall under her ruthless - and often rhapsodic - gaze.

Among RPG fans, saying that Baldur's Gate is a classic is probably the most uncontroversial remark you can make. It's like saying that politicans are crooked, or that Nazis are bad. But just how did one game get that way? How did it become what some might call the pinnacle of RPG achievement, and become the grandsire of an entire generation of RPG's?

Come back in time with me for a little while.

The year is 1998.

Grunge is gone, and something fake has taken its place; empty music plays meaninglessly in insurance offices everywhere. Trashy white guys have taken up rap and they try to mix it with guitars. Pagers are a common sight at every county fair, hanging on the belts of daisy duke shorts and baggy raver pants. They'll be in style for less than a year. Everyone's playing Pokemon and Magic: The Gathering. Those of us without beepers, anyway.

The future of the RPG is uncertain. Diablo lingers in our recent memory, revolutionary and ridiculously fun, but lacking the hard choices and character development of more involved RPG's. The star is waning for the Japanese RPG, even as Final Fantasy Tactics recedes slowly into the past. Hard RPG's remain mostly on consoles - mostly Japanese titles on the Playstation. Suikoden II will arrive this year to much acclaim, but it doesn't please many of the grizzled, dice-chucking Dungeons & Dragons veterans. They need something more. The age of the classic dungeon crawler is long gone, and even AD&D is dying a slow death. What will happen to the Western RPG?

Nobody can imagine that it will be reborn, remade, that December, like some Charles Dickens Christmas miracle. It will be given to us by Bioware, Black Isle, and Interplay, like three Yuletide ghosts telling us our gaming future around a dying fire.

It's Baldur's Gate, and it will reinvent the RPG.

From the moment you bring that big box home, you know it's different. Its only cover art is the symbol of Bhaal etched into a plain brown background. You open the box and there it is, that tall case, those six cd's promising a lengthy install if you're running on a slow computer. But somehow you know it'll be worth it.

Once you start the game, you find that character creation takes forever. This is great - it's just like rolling a D&D character! The dramatic character art is designed to overawe. And the game itself is as bright as childhood daydreams, vivid and colorful. Each character becomes expressive and memorable with the right combination of voice acting and excellent writing. This isn't like the D&D games you remember from way back. This is no slow, methodical dungeon hack, and you can keep your graph paper in the drawer. The isometric view, the sharp graphics, and the cinematic music are something new. Nothing like this has ever happened before.

You'll play it, and you'll replay it. You'll pick up new characters, try different things. Your friends won't stop bugging you about Baldur's Gate, and they'll fight over who gets to borrow it. People around you are wearing out their copies, or losing them by loaning them out. Bioware has created a monster.

The strangest part of all this is the making of the game itself. Now, with the privilege of hindsight, we learn that not only were BG's sales expectations pretty low, but the early game that would eventually morph into Baldur's Gate was initially shot down by a gaming executive. Instead, Baldur's Gate released to massive acclaim, with hungry RPG fans everywhere devouring it like people on the verge of starvation. And really, RPG fans were, in a sense. Baldur's Gate, with its character customization, insertion (you create the protagonist), its revolutionary interface, a series of then-unique design choices, and the use of Dungeons & Dragons and the Forgotten Realms universe, was a vacuum in our lives we never really knew we had.

You could argue that the real success story of Baldur's Gate wasn't the game itself, but the waves of change it brought upon the gaming world. Nothing would ever be the same. Its sequel, Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, released in 2000 to cacophanous acclaim; it is still one of the most positively-received games ever. You'll find it difficult to find any RPG critic worth their oxygen that claims that BG II didn't change gaming. Dungeons & Dragons was no longer the refuge of the hopelessly awkward high school loser and the smelly old guys. More and more of the public saw just how valuable D&D was in taking you and your friends far away and creating captivating worlds to spend your time in.

And in the gaming world, the message was clear. This thing called the Role Playing Game really was a pursuit people cared about and would spend money on, and it wasn't just for consoles and Japanese designers that worked in the youthful, irreverent anime style. It could be serious, grim, grown up, and very western.

Neverwinter Nights was just around the corner, as was the rise of geek culture. It's certainly no coincidence that a few months after the release of Baldur's Gate II, it was suddenly cool to call yourself a geek and a gamer. Generation Y's first statement to the world as adults was in the form of gamer enthusiasm, in the form of tshirts with 8-bit NES sprites, and a surge in the interest of Dungeons & Dragons as a perfectly socially acceptable hobby. Now the real douchebags were frat boys and stockbrokers and empty-headed socialites. The stigma was gone forever, and the nerds had won.

Rock historians say the opening chords of Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" took a decade of Generation X's cultural angst and catapulted it into the mainstream, changing the world forever. I think the same can be said for Baldur's Gate and what it did for Millennials and for gamers of all ages - it was the opening blow against anti-intellectual, nerd-hating culture, and the game that would change the stakes forever for not only developers and the western RPG, but for an entire generation.

The Western RPG has truly come into its own, and it owes its rebirth to Baldur's Gate.

It's like I clicked on RPGWatch but found myself at RPS.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I wasn't even aware RPGWatch had a female staff member. Now all they need is a homosexual and a Jew, those copycats.

Turjan

Arcane
Crooked Bee>>> Aubrielle
Yeah, I saw this piece this morning, and it reads like the outpouring of a Creative Writing course before the teacher had a look at it. It's as pretentious as it is vacuous. Baldur's Gate as "grim" :D. Most residents seemed to like it though.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I wonder how much of that piece is Aubrielle's nostalgia?

Sure, Baldur's Gate is a classic and it was an important game, and I remember the hype. Still, vanilla BG1 was not the pinnacle of awesomeness (BG2 is much closer to that title) and there were actually other major CRPGs released around the same time or before, like Fallout and Might&Magic 6.
But it's possible that I underestimate BG1's importance since I only grew to love it after I played it using mods like BG1 NPC Project and SCS.

DragoFireheart

But it's possible that I underestimate BG1's importance since I only grew to love it after I played it using mods like BG1 NPC Project and SCS.

It helps that the Kobold Commandos can easily slaughter your Level 1 party, forcing you to respect the game.

Turjan

Arcane
I wonder how much of that piece is Aubrielle's nostalgia?

Sure, Baldur's Gate is a classic and it was an important game, and I remember the hype. Still, vanilla BG1 was not the pinnacle of awesomeness (BG2 is much closer to that title) and there were actually other major CRPGs released around the same time or before, like Fallout and Might&Magic 6.
I really like BG1 and have fond memories of the game. I also accknowledge that it opened up the cRPG market to more casual players. However, I'm not sure she gets the few details right that she actually has in that article. And most of that article is just fluff. She knew already it was special when she looked at the box?

I think it was 5 CD's, not 6. And yes, Fallout 2, Might & Magic IV and the PC version of Final Fantasy VII were released in the same year, and there was no lack of cRPG's around that time. Her article also makes it sound as if Interplay didn't believe in cRPG's, although it was quite the opposite: Bioware was working on a non-RPG title, and they had to switch to cRPG because of the big success of Diablo.

Last edited:

DragoFireheart

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Drago, most of us have moved beyond vanilla BG1 and have learnt to use mods that use different (and adjustable) spawn rates.
But even in vanilla BG1 you could prevent kobolds spawning in the central chamber of the Firewine ruins by parking one of your characters there.
Where there is will and intelligence there is a way.

Turjan

Arcane
Parking one of your characters there also helps with the pathfinding problems in that dungeon, which was more aggravating than those kobold commandos.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bioware was working on a non-RPG title, and they had to switch to cRPG because of the big success of Diablo.

Baldur's Gate development began before Diablo was released.

Bioware made an RPG because Interplay had acquired the D&D license and hired them to make use of it.

Turjan

Arcane
Bioware was working on a non-RPG title, and they had to switch to cRPG because of the big success of Diablo.
Baldur's Gate development began before Diablo was released. Bioware made an RPG because Interplay had acquired the D&D license and hired them to make use of it.
Fine. Still, Baldur's Gate's release came in a time when several quite successful RPGs had been released. Both, Diablo and FF VII had already been heralded as saviors of the cRPG genre.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Baldur's Gate development began before Diablo was released. Bioware made an RPG because Interplay had acquired the D&D license and hired them to make use of it.
Fine. Still, Baldur's Gate's release came in a time when several quite successful RPGs had been released. Both, Diablo and FF VII had already been heralded as saviors of the cRPG genre.

FFVII cRPG

:what:

purpleblob

Savant

Melcar

Arcane
Trent should go back to making shitty music and leave our childhood alone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom