Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

No one hates Imoen.

We're just all confused why you'd want a pure thief over anything mage.

EDIT:

UglyBastard ok ok, so the weeboo sword is pretty cool. Procing a stun results in ALL projectiles suddenly making a pin cushion out of whatever I was attacking. I'm also putting points into Scimitars so that I can use either Usuno's blade +4 or Spectral Brand +4/+5 to hit whatever can't be hit by the CF. Also have a single point into Quarterstaves.

I also have Melf's Minute Meteors to further aid in hitting stuff that's immune and eventually Energy Blades late game. Those should all be enough ways to hit stuff.

Last edited:

hell bovine

Arcane

No one hates Imoen.

We're just all confused why you'd want a pure thief over anything mage.

EDIT:

UglyBastard ok ok, so the weeboo sword is pretty cool. Procing a stun results in ALL projectiles suddenly making a pin cushion out of whatever I was attacking. I'm also putting points into Scimitars so that I can use either Usuno's blade +4 or Spectral Brand +4/+5 to hit whatever can't be hit by the CF. Also have a single point into Quarterstaves.

I also have Melf's Minute Meteors to further aid in hitting stuff that's immune and eventually Energy Blades late game. Those should all be enough ways to hit stuff.
Actually, Yoshimo's thief class wasn't useless, since those maze traps allowed for some interesting tactical choices. I recall someone did a solo run with that class; turned out that maze traps are thrown, and possibly (not sure about this) have no save. Meaning you could maze enemies at the beginning of a fight and then litter the area with other traps. But Yoshimo never levels up high enough, and that's the problem.

Fun magic I remember from my solo sorceress run (but that was an evil, don't care about casualties game):
- low wisdom and the wish spell, for a wilting on everything in the area (you'd have to use a protection spell on your characters, but there was one that specifically protected from wiltings and skull traps damage); quickest way to clean out entire maps, but broke the game a few times. The cheesy version was to combine it with the lesser wish: army of bunnies, since every bunny would result in a wilting. Mass destruction, nothing could compare.
- spell immunity abjuration & divination (now I recall that combo) made your protections un-dispellable.
- the acid cloud spell for lich killing. Just use a spell trigerr to spam about 6 of them at the same time. They would eat through all of the mirror images in one round, constantly damage the lich interrupting the spell casting (only two liches in the game were immune). Also worked on other mages, provided they didn't have protection from acid on. If you played Tactics, saved you the headache of trying to play strip poker with an enemy spellcaster.
- Invisibiliity. I think implementation was bugged, any offensive spell was supposed to disrupt it, but that wasn't the case. From what I've tested, spells that were automatically centered on the caster didn't, and that included time stop.
Petrify and polymorph, for when you get bored with your powerful magics and just want to have fun.

DragoFireheart

So I just soloed BG1 with a Elven Fighter/Mage.

Pretty fun actually, though the final battle was a bit silly. Resorted to summoning hordes of Gnolls and Hobgoblins.

DragoFireheart

Hasted summons are awesome, particularly on an unnerfed BG1 install where you could have something like 50+ motherfuckers.

Much like the end of MicoSelva BG1 solo playthrough, I felt like the final boss rather than Sarevok. I swear I could almost hear Sarevok saying "Mwhahahha, slaughter!"

DragoFireheart

So I ran into a hasted (!?) Vampiric Wraiths on WK floor 1 What in the holy fuck is this shit I was beating the crap out of it and it was barely dying had to use Sunday from Daystar mother fuckers were nasty.

Attacks even while webbed level drains has a THACO of -50 doesn't fuck around.

Last edited:

Melcar

Arcane
Do they still have that "revised" überpowerful Greater Warewolf form for the Druid Shapeshifters (I think it's from the BG2 Tweak Pack)? You can solo most of Watcher's Keep with Cernd... fucking Cernd.

DragoFireheart

Do they still have that "revised" überpowerful Greater Warewolf form for the Druid Shapeshifters (I think it's from the BG2 Tweak Pack)? You can solo most of Watcher's Keep with Cernd... fucking Cernd.

I believe they do.

I think it's a G3 tweak.

Sykar

Arcane

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Guys, question.

Blades are supposed to have 50% pickpockets of Bards.

I started BGT twice with a Half Elf Bard and Half Elf Blade. Both have 60% pickpockets. Is something wrong?

SwiftCrack

Arcane
I don't know if this is accurate for your install of the game but the core BG rules say this (which fit with your half elf):

vWCY2dN.png

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Hasted summons are awesome, particularly on an unnerfed BG1 install where you could have something like 50+ motherfuckers.

Much like the end of MicoSelva BG1 solo playthrough, I felt like the final boss rather than Sarevok. I swear I could almost hear Sarevok saying "Mwhahahha, slaughter!"

To be honest, I'd say that's an example of character progression done *right*. I still fondly remember my hordes of skeletons zerging Sarevok. If only summoned monsters could have been more fiendish in nature to properly fit my evil wizard theme...

DragoFireheart

I love the Mace of Disruption +2!

What I don't like is the icon and image used for it. Looks like a Mace +1.

What's the most simple way to change this back to the original image?

Xeon

Augur
1PP mod changes a lot of the icons, maybe they changed it for the Mace as well.

I think I read that the Near Infinity tool can do almost anything including changing icons but its much complicated than a save editor so I never used it.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
It's very easy with Near Infinity. I learned how to do stuff like changing item stats, colors and appearance in like 20 minutes of trial and error, and I'm a total newbie with computers and have never done any "real" modding.

What you need to do is to open the Mace of Disruption +1 and Mace of Disruption +2 items in Near Infinity (just type the name or part of the name in the CRE/ITM/SPL/STO search) and change the line "Icon", which is the normal inventory icon, and "Carriedicon", which is the black and white picture you see when right-clicking the item. I'm using the EE, and I don't have the original game installed right now, so maybe someone else can check the correct values. However, I'm fairly sure they are same as in the original.

So, do your Mace of Disruptions (BLUN12 and BLUN25) have the "Icon" of IBLUN05 and "Carriedicon" CBLUN05, because those are the values of an ordinary Mace +1 (the Mace of Disruption +2 used by Devas has the same icons as Mace +1)? Change the "Icon" to IBLUN12 and "Carriedicon" to CBLUN12, which are the original values of Mace of Disruption.

But, like I said, I have the EE, so I'm not 100% sure whether these are the correct values.

hell bovine

Arcane
Near Infinity isn't really that difficult to use. I've used it in the past to have a more in-depth look at what spells do as opposed to what their description says.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Even I have used Near Infinity. Used it to change sling stones to be blunt/crushing, instead of piercing, among other things. And beefed up the Thieves Guild leader who was an utter wuss in BG1.

DragoFireheart

It's very easy with Near Infinity. I learned how to do stuff like changing item stats, colors and appearance in like 20 minutes of trial and error, and I'm a total newbie with computers and have never done any "real" modding.

What you need to do is to open the Mace of Disruption +1 and Mace of Disruption +2 items in Near Infinity (just type the name or part of the name in the CRE/ITM/SPL/STO search) and change the line "Icon", which is the normal inventory icon, and "Carriedicon", which is the black and white picture you see when right-clicking the item. I'm using the EE, and I don't have the original game installed right now, so maybe someone else can check the correct values. However, I'm fairly sure they are same as in the original.

So, do your Mace of Disruptions (BLUN12 and BLUN25) have the "Icon" of IBLUN05 and "Carriedicon" CBLUN05, because those are the values of an ordinary Mace +1 (the Mace of Disruption +2 used by Devas has the same icons as Mace +1)? Change the "Icon" to IBLUN12 and "Carriedicon" to CBLUN12, which are the original values of Mace of Disruption.

But, like I said, I have the EE, so I'm not 100% sure whether these are the correct values.

Wow, that was pretty easy.

Was trying to use DLTCEP, but trying to clean up had some permission issues. (lolwut)

EDIT: I took it a step further and re-added the weapon glow and fix some of the colors.

Does this make me a Baldur's Gate 2 modder now?

Last edited:

Elfberserker

Liturgist
I do.
There is certain charm in orginal sprites and BG:EE sprites are so tiny.
Not to mention that the orginal has dat cleavage and orginal also jas that nice paper doll design.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom