Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I actually meant paper dolls.

Doesn't change the answer.

Which is more powerful for solo: F/M/C or F/M/T?

Having the thief gets me trap exp and Use Any Item while the Cleric gives me all that divine magic.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
F/M/T is better for solo. F/M/C is stronger with the sequencer/contingencies+divine spells. Regeneration x2+improved haste.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
tbh I don't know from experience, just guessing. Never played triple multiclasses.

Melcar

Arcane
F/M/T is a better class overall (as in it will give you an easier time) and more fun to play. F/M/C is more powerful.

roshan

Arcane
F/M/T is a better class overall (as in it will give you an easier time) and more fun to play. F/M/C is more powerful.

Can you clarify?

I don't consider ease of use as being better.

I think it has to do with being able to layer both mage and cleric buffs because most of the best buffs are caster only. Also you get to cast tons and tons of spells.

Melcar

Arcane
You will just have an easier time in the game with a F/M/T. But with a F/M/C you can simply have a gay ol' cheese out once you reach a high enough level on all three classes.

hell bovine

Arcane
I actually meant paper dolls.

Doesn't change the answer.

Which is more powerful for solo: F/M/C or F/M/T?

Having the thief gets me trap exp and Use Any Item while the Cleric gives me all that divine magic.
If you want divine magic, M/C is better. Fighter doesn't add enough to compensate for slower leveling and less spell slots as a consequence. The clerical fighting buffs can be put in sequencers (otherwise buffing is just too annoying) and used in combination with defensive arcane magic, you won't need more. The same argument can be made for M/T - because arcane magic is just so powerful, anything that slows down mage progression is not worth it.
(I played a girls only - to avoid romances - team, and Aerie was my main fighter; the little elf ball of rage was brutal in melee)

DragoFireheart

, anything that slows down mage progression is not worth it.

So then Sorcerer is best going by this logic since not only is it pure arcane but it can have more spell casting (at the cost of limited spell choices)?

Which two-multi is best: F/M, C/M, or T/M?

Last edited:

Seari

Arcane
Patron
In terms of pure power C/M>=F/M>T/M in ToB.

F/M is the most consistent. C/M are kind of weak before they get some levels(mid to late SoA).

You already know my opinion of T/M.

Wizfall

Cipher
F/M/T is the better and easier class to solo because you can explore the maps in stealth mode and so plan in advance the combats and can deal with lock thing without problem.
To solo with a minimum "cheese" (or resting all the time) you have to be a fighter somewhat because fighters are by very far the best damage dealer and there are a lot of combats.
Mages suck in term of offense (1 spell/round is ridiculous compared to the number of attack of a fighter whatever the power of the spells except the very last one) but two spells make them by far the most defensive character able to take a huge more number of hits than a fighter : mirror image and stonekin (2 low/mid level spells).
You don't need to be cleric because lot of healing potions and not so good spell, moreover in diffcult fight it doesn't add anything.
An ambidextrous 2 handed F/M/T with 2 +1 Attack weapons, 18 DEX and good belt can solo the game without too much difficulties, relying on image mirror/stonekin for the difficult fights (and can add haste and other higher mage spell latter if needed, using mage wands at lower level).

DragoFireheart

F/M/T is the better and easier class to solo because you can explore the maps in stealth mode and so plan in advance the combats and can deal with lock thing without problem.

• Invisibility for scouting
  • Knock for anything you can't brute force open.
  • Mirror Image/Spell Immunity for traps.

There's no need for Thief as you water down your arcane powers too much.

hell bovine

Arcane

So then Sorcerer is best going by this logic since not only is it pure arcane but it can have more spell casting (at the cost of limited spell choices)?

For a solo game sorcerer is the most powerful, because you can choose spells as soon as you level up; unless you use console commands to give your character spell scrolls, that is the main problem for other solo mage classes. If you go for Project Image cheese, then the sorcerer becomes basically a god long before the game ends. I'd say M/C is second in power (or alternatively the wild mage if you don't mind the risk).

DragoFireheart

hell bovine

Yeah, I've seen the youtube videos of a sorc soloing stuff like Demogorgon. Ridiculously powerful.

What's a good list of spell picks for a solo sorc?

Sykar

Arcane

For a solo game sorcerer is the most powerful, because you can choose spells as soon as you level up; unless you use console commands to give your character spell scrolls, that is the main problem for other solo mage classes. If you go for Project Image cheese, then the sorcerer becomes basically a god long before the game ends. I'd say M/C is second in power (or alternatively the wild mage if you don't mind the risk).

Only if you know the system well and only after level 20, because Bioware for some weird reason thought it's good to cram sorcerers spell selection to the max after 20, eliminating their biggest weakness, while wizards get nothing after 20. Before that, specialized wizards and sorcerers are so close that it doesn't matter much. For first timers, wizards are the better choice.

hell bovine

Arcane
hell bovine

Yeah, I've seen the youtube videos of a sorc soloing stuff like Demogorgon. Ridiculously powerful.

What's a good list of spell picks for a solo sorc?
There is no definitive spell list; the fun thing about sorcerers is that you actually don't need that many spells to be effective, so you can vary your picks. The deciding factors would be what mods you are using, and whether you give a damn about your reputation. ;) The most fun battles I've read about were by Alesia on old Bioware BG2 forums. She played several Ascension solos with different classes, including sorcerer. The stories should still be there, I just don't bother with those forums anymore.

Basically what you want is all the spell triggers etc. (because they effectively let you cast several times per round), spell immunity, project image, that high level contingency spell (for the project image cheese), wish (the evil options :D) and protection spells. The protection spells are dependent on the mods you're using. Time stop is not that necessary, I had imprisonment in my evil run instead, because well, killing gets boring so quickly. I also had polymorph (not recommended, so many enemies are immune, it's annoying) and the one that made characters permanently stupid (you'd be surprised which enemies can be disabled by it, that spell was fun).

Only if you know the system well and only after level 20, because Bioware for some weird reason thought it's good to cram sorcerers spell selection to the max after 20, eliminating their biggest weakness, while wizards get nothing after 20. Before that, specialized wizards and sorcerers are so close that it doesn't matter much. For first timers, wizards are the better choice.
I'd disagree. The rise in power for my sorceress was after acquiring spell trigger (the one that lets you put acid fog into it), and that was definitively before level 20. She won the battle against the lich party with it (the one that holds that powerful mage staff). And then proceeded to commit suicide out of greed, because I didn't wait for the clouds to dissipate, before trying to collect the staff from the corpse. Good thing I don't play no-reload games. :lol:

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
I have a confession to make

Every year, around christmas, i install BG1, BG2, IWD1 and IWD2 with all the expansions, and start playing. I play and finish BG1 (solo it), then create a character with the same name as the bg1 char and equip him in roughly the same way as the character i finished BG1 with and play IWD1 and IWD2 and then i play BG2 with the "exported" character from IWD2.

This year I'm thinking of playing neverwinter nights with the BG2 char (you can actually import it from bg2 to nwn)

In my LARPing mind, the char starts in baldur's gate, then goes north to the ten towns and then finds himself in athkatla

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
The last pages from this thread made me feel like I'm back in the early 2000's (discussing optimal BG 1/2 solo builds, seriously ?), but that stuff about importing character from BG2 to NWN is the final nail in the coffin. Alright, which one of you guys opened a time portal ?

Seari

Arcane
Patron
99% sure that it dropped.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom