Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I shall also run a concurrent second series of posts treating all D&D user interfaces from Baldur's Gate to NWN2. It just helps me mix things up a bit so I don't get bored with either (it's really EZ to get bored writing about UIs).

The first part introduces the IE interface and treats it within BG and BG2:

Evolution of the D&D UI: BG to NWN2 - Part I

Excerpt 1:

Paperdoll comparison: If you think the one on the right looks better than the one on the left, then you have appalling aesthetic taste.

paperdolls.jpg

Left: BG1, Right: BG2 (same rez , same char, same equipment)

Excerpt 2:

The IE interface originated in the "Renaissance" RPG known as Baldur's Gate; undergoing a few changes in subsequent releases by both BioWare and Black Isle:

First, it was heavily modified to accommodate the dialogue focus and originality of Planescape: Torment.

Second, it returned to the BG style but received a "timber" reskin in Icewind Dale.

Third, it received minor improvements, additions and an "elven forest" reskin in Baldur's Gate 2.

Fourth and finally, it underwent a major overhaul to accommodate the rules-heavy 3rd Edition, reaching its zenith of polish and functionality in Icewind Dale 2.

With the rare exception of PS:T's bungled portable pop-up, the IE UI is elegant, efficient, space-maximizing and a joy to use. In all incarnations it's a huge advancement over what predecessors offered, which - with a few notable exceptions - were primitive kludge and clunk. The rest of this post is given over to treatment of the IE interface, as it appeared in Baldur's Gate and its sequel. Black Isle's three efforts will be covered in the next post.

Please note that for the purposes of these posts I am unconcerned with UI mods or Beamdog's so-called Enhanced Editions; my concern is just with the official interfaces as shipped with the original games. I also don't charge UIs for their lack of native scalability to other resolutions and aspect ratios: they are a sign of their times and it's totally forgivable. I really tire of the scrubs who complain how UIs don't scale and the fonts are unreadably small, when they're running a 1998 game with settings straight out of Silicon Valley. It seems everything is about "4k" to these people, or whatever the current gen "standard" is... I just run these games using display driver scaling and can actually read the text without a magnifying glass. Funny, that..

Ok, so. Let's move on to the first entry, shall we?

Enjoy.

Last edited:

Neanderthal

Arcane
You are not a true storyfag than, those love romances and choice & consequence which BG1 have very little of.
But I agree about lots of little stories. For random funny conversation, BG1 still has the best one of all the games I played.
When you enter a random Inn in bg1 you find a guy and you start a convo with him. None of you know who is the other guy or why you are here and you can prolong the conversation forever using funny spy sentences that say nothing :D
There is no point to it or a quest, just a funny thing devs put into the game. Bg1 has a few of these, and I have not seen many other games with such (recently I noticed Underrail has a few as well).

One who knicks Golden Pantaloons off you?

ArchAngel

Arcane
You are not a true storyfag than, those love romances and choice & consequence which BG1 have very little of.
But I agree about lots of little stories. For random funny conversation, BG1 still has the best one of all the games I played.
When you enter a random Inn in bg1 you find a guy and you start a convo with him. None of you know who is the other guy or why you are here and you can prolong the conversation forever using funny spy sentences that say nothing :D
There is no point to it or a quest, just a funny thing devs put into the game. Bg1 has a few of these, and I have not seen many other games with such (recently I noticed Underrail has a few as well).

One who knicks Golden Pantaloons off you?
I don't know, I never get Golden Pantaloons because I only play Bg1 over and over :D

Grubba

Arcane
Men is there any mod to get mouse wheel support for scrolling without installing BGT or Tutu or whatever? I want to stay vanilla but this click n scroll is irritating

ArchAngel

Arcane
I don't know, I never get Golden Pantaloons because I only play Bg1 over and over :D

Ones you get off that lord whatsisface in Friendly Arm, think (though I might be misremembering) bloke in inn knicks em off you, gi it a try matey.
I need to expand on my previous post. I know about them and I did get all 3 together once and played around with the result. I never get them now because it is pointless unless you plan to take same character through Bg2 and ToB which I don't. I just play Bg1 over and over as I find it most fun out of 3 games.

Theldaran

Liturgist
I just play Bg1 over and over as I find it most fun out of 3 games.

Mighty point, but fanboy battles have been fought over this matter. In most cases the nostalgy doesn't last so much to finish the whole series. So beating that Sarevok fucker it is.

Also I find the immersion to be far better in BG1, and moreover, the epic and great soundtrack helps.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
7-12 is the golden range for AD&D 2nd edition. Its one of the reasons BG2/ToB bog down after chapter 2.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Replaying bg 2 as a fighter/illusionist multi-class gnome solo, damn fun.

I just reach Spectator Beholder guarding the chest in City of Caverns. Whoever wrote him is a genius. (thank you for moving the post here !)
As a matter of fact all of the City of Caverns is written very well compared to what I have seen so far in the game.

I am trying to complete BG 2 for the first time. I have to thank Pillars of Eternity for making me wanting more. Because of Pillars I have finished this year PS:T and now I hope BG2. I am having a blast with it so far.

Last edited:
It is the first time I reached the drow city. It seems that Arcanum was inspired by BG2 story with all the dark elfs and such? Of course I find Arcanum the superior one in every shape or form.

Finished it last night.
It seems that the game was a bit of a let down compared to my expectations. I always thought that BG2 was the most crowded RPG with things to do at every corner and non linear gameplay. It turns out that only the City of Amn is non linear and after that more then 50% I would say it's linear with a lot of fetch quests.
My thoughts on Irenicus also changed from the best villain I have witnessed to a rather cliche one. If I didn't finish the game I would remain to the thought of a greater one as presented in the intro of the game.
The best part from my perspective along with the multitude of quests in Amn is the ending with the Hell region. I swear the screams in the headphones gave my chills. It reminded me heavily of PS:T. Also didn't think if would find reference to the Lady of Pain and the multiverse in BG games.
I am now certain that Obsidian can do a better job with PoE 2 if they take the time and have the balls to make the proper sequel with no crowdfunding. Already the soul problem in Eora feels much more interesting then being the hero of Amn.
PoE may be a let down in some cases but it has more reactivity then BG games.
I forgot how underwhelming is the level up systems in IE games. Most of the level up don't give you much choice for the skills. You just press the level up button and that's it (only the thief has points that you can spend in).
My question for you is if Throne of Bhaal is a must play in order to see the proper ending or is it just a linear dungeon crawling experience with another ending?

Last edited:

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
Finished it last night.
It seems that the game was a bit of a let down compared to my expectations. I always thought that BG2 was the most crowded RPG with things to do at every corner and non linear gameplay. It turns out that only the City of Amn is non linear and after that more then 50% I would say it's linear with a lot of fetch quests.
My thoughts on Irenicus also changed from the best villain I have witnessed to a rather cliche one. If I didn't finish the game I would remain to the thought of a greater one as presented in the intro of the game.
The best part from my perspective along with the multitude of quests in Amn is the ending with the Hell region. I swear the screams in the headphones gave my chills. It reminded me heavily of PS:T. Also didn't think if would find reference to the Lady of Pain and the multiverse in BG games.
I am now certain that Obsidian can do a better job with PoE 2 if they take the time and have the balls to make the proper sequel with no crowdfunding. Already the soul problem in Eora feels much more interesting then being the hero of Amn.
I forgot how underwhelming is the level up systems in IE games. Most of the level up don't give you much choice for the skills. You just press the level up button and that's it (only the thief has points that you can spend in).
My question for you is if Throne of Bhaal is a must play in order to see the proper ending or is it just a linear dungeon crawling experience with another ending?

have you played bg2 before when you were younger or was this the first time you played it?

and throne of bhaal is like 5-6 back to back dungeons, pretty much the entire thing is a dungeon crawl and aside from a couple dragon fights and the final battle its mostly annoying shitty enemies for like 15-20 odd hours

ending isn't anything you cant see on youtube for the full effect

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
City of Amn

Amn is the nation and Athkatla is the capital city...

I am now certain that Obsidian can do a better job with PoE 2

Good for you. Individual NWN builders have long since surpassed Athkatla and Amn - I'M CERTAIN OBSIDIAN CAN, TOO!

Icewind Dale 2?

ToB is shit on a stick, even with Ascension.

Finished it last night.

have you played bg2 before when you were younger or was this the first time you played it?

and throne of bhaal is like 5-6 back to back dungeons, pretty much the entire thing is a dungeon crawl and aside from a couple dragon fights and the final battle its mostly annoying shitty enemies for like 15-20 odd hours

ending isn't anything you cant see on youtube for the full effect

I played it when I was younger but never got to finish it. Back then I was into more Fallout 1,2 games then fantasy and then again it was to hard for me to finish. Thank you for the info about ToB. I won't waste any time with it.

City of Amn

Amn is the nation and Athkatla is the capital city...

I am now certain that Obsidian can do a better job with PoE 2

Good for you. Individual NWN builders have long since surpassed Athkatla and Amn - I'M CERTAIN OBSIDIAN CAN, TOO!

Icewind Dale 2?

ToB is shit on a stick, even with Ascension.

Thank you for correcting me! I don't remember too much of IWD 2. I remember I gave it a go when I was younger but never got to finish it. But yeah from memory I know that IWD 2 was closer to Neverwinter Nights no? I think it was one of the last Black Isle games along with something called Lionheart. They even changed the HUD.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom