Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Banner Saga 2

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's out: http://store.steampowered.com/app/281640/

Banner Saga 2 Launch
19 APRIL - MYLL_ERIK
Hello All!

First off - thank you! You're support, kind words, and feedback are what keeps us going through development. We've been working on Banner Saga 2 for over 2 years and all of your amazing words have kept us working!

Secondly - Enjoy!

Finally - We're on standby and watching feedback! We're here to help troubleshoot any problems and we'll be watching for anything that may crop up that needs to be fixed. If you have comments, feedback or suggestions then please share them. We want to hear from you!

--Stoic

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Meh, the first game had one of the most abrupt and unsatisfying endings I've ever experienced. I'll skip this one and wait until the third part is out and then play all three.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
First critical Steam review is up:

DISCLAIMER(!): it's just my constructive criticism, I think there is a lot of hatred against me, but I still obliged to write this review.
Well, let's start:
1) Good scenario? Ehmm... not, of course. Half of scenario is taken directly from other fantasy worlds/scandinavian mythology/greek mythology (here such combination of idiotic...);
2) Wonderful gameplay? Haha, no again. Classical "Press X to win". Very easy and casual battle system. Developers have not heard about "King's Bounty", "Disciples", "Heroes of might and magic" series? Then I am not surprised...
3) Beautiful graphics? Yes, here I agree. But why do developers make silly and banal game, if they can make the average quality of cartoons? Developers are jealous of the success of "Life is strange"? Excellent!! Let then do cartoons, but not the game.

My rating: 4.5/10. I add more information in the review later...

Very concerning.

agris

Arcane
Patron
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/04/19/the-banner-saga-2-review/

There’s still that awkward tension between telling a somewhat linear story and giving players the freedom of managing their caravan, and too often The Banner Saga 2 sacrifices the latter to protect the former. During one nasty stretch of my trip, a series of bad decisions led to my troops having no food for almost a week. As morale dipped and clansmen and warriors died from starvation each day, there was barely any perceivable impact. Once I made it to the next village, I stocked up and replenished my ranks as if nothing bad had happened.

That's really a shame. The caravan's stats having no impact on the actual gameplay was one of the most valid criticisms, next to stale battle maps and little/no enemy variety, leveled at TBS1. If the numbers don't mean anything, why even include them?

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Not getting DRM-free release anytime soon.
https://af.gog.com/forum/general/the_banner_saga_2_is_coming_april_19th/page1?as=1649904300
At this time, due to the bandwidth on a such a small team, the DRM-Free version is not being planned. We originally planned DRM-Free for Banner Saga 1 and delivered, but it also led to huge increases in piracy so we're keen to avoid that.

The team at Tiny Build recently explored piracy with a good deep dive - highly suggest you give it a read: http://tinybuild.com/punch-club-has-been-pirated-over-1-million-times

You all still have Steam Keys available to you for the first game, and you will be able to import your saved game from Banner Saga 1 in to Banner Saga 2 even if you played DRM-Free the first time and use Steam for Banner Saga 2. (assuming same machine or you have access to the save file)

Sorry you feel that way - but the KS campaign was for Banner Saga 1 (and all it's platforms which were promised via the campaign) which we did deliver upon. We decided since the campaign was so successful and our backers were so helpful that we would give Banner Saga 2 and Banner Saga 3 to our $50 and up backers as an extra thank you (without making any promises toward those platforms or commitments) Here's the exact KS update where we made this announcement: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stoic/the-banner-saga/posts/195885

Once again, hope you understand that we have to protect our game when and where we can. All we can now is that the DRM-Free version is not being planned.

If you played the first part via GoG (or DRM Free) you can still play parts 2 and 3 via Steam. The save files still transfer over without any issue.

Sad to see you feel that and to be so harsh/rude, however all we can say for now is that the DRM-Free version is not being planned.

We haven't been deceptive at all - hence why we're sharing all of this info. We never knew which platforms Banner Saga 2 or Banner Saga 3 would be on nor did we make any promises. We only listed out platforms for The Banner Saga (Banner Saga 1) as part of the Kickstarter Campaign.

If you feel like we didn't hold up our end of your KickStarter pledge, please feel free to send us a KS message.

Not calling people who prefer DRM Free Pirates, just saying that we had issues once we released our DRM-Free build with Banner Saga 1. And while we'd love to try and make everyone happy, if we did so we'd be broke and unable to continue to make games. All we can say for now is that the DRM-Free version is not being planned.

Into -80% sale fodder pile it goes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sizzle

Arcane
Not getting DRM-free release anytime soon.
https://af.gog.com/forum/general/the_banner_saga_2_is_coming_april_19th/page1?as=1649904300
At this time, due to the bandwidth on a such a small team, the DRM-Free version is not being planned. We originally planned DRM-Free for Banner Saga 1 and delivered, but it also led to huge increases in piracy so we're keen to avoid that.

The team at Tiny Build recently explored piracy with a good deep dive - highly suggest you give it a read: http://tinybuild.com/punch-club-has-been-pirated-over-1-million-times

You all still have Steam Keys available to you for the first game, and you will be able to import your saved game from Banner Saga 1 in to Banner Saga 2 even if you played DRM-Free the first time and use Steam for Banner Saga 2. (assuming same machine or you have access to the save file)

Sorry you feel that way - but the KS campaign was for Banner Saga 1 (and all it's platforms which were promised via the campaign) which we did deliver upon. We decided since the campaign was so successful and our backers were so helpful that we would give Banner Saga 2 and Banner Saga 3 to our $50 and up backers as an extra thank you (without making any promises toward those platforms or commitments) Here's the exact KS update where we made this announcement: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stoic/the-banner-saga/posts/195885

Once again, hope you understand that we have to protect our game when and where we can. All we can now is that the DRM-Free version is not being planned.

If you played the first part via GoG (or DRM Free) you can still play parts 2 and 3 via Steam. The save files still transfer over without any issue.

Sad to see you feel that and to be so harsh/rude, however all we can say for now is that the DRM-Free version is not being planned.

We haven't been deceptive at all - hence why we're sharing all of this info. We never knew which platforms Banner Saga 2 or Banner Saga 3 would be on nor did we make any promises. We only listed out platforms for The Banner Saga (Banner Saga 1) as part of the Kickstarter Campaign.

If you feel like we didn't hold up our end of your KickStarter pledge, please feel free to send us a KS message.

Not calling people who prefer DRM Free Pirates, just saying that we had issues once we released our DRM-Free build with Banner Saga 1. And while we'd love to try and make everyone happy, if we did so we'd be broke and unable to continue to make games. All we can say for now is that the DRM-Free version is not being planned.

Into -80% sale fodder pile it goes.

It's just out, and it's already on torrent sites, so... good luck with not getting pirated, I guess? :roll:

Last edited by a moderator:

Archibald

Arcane
Oh well, will just wait for super master edition that is finally released on GoG after 2 years.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Pirated version is out already.

They should at least say they would release DRM free wersion on GOG after it would be fully patched half year later.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
It's just out, and it's already on torrent sites, so... good luck with not getting pirated, I guess? :roll:

Yes, but there would be more piracy if people didn't have to download a crack! Bandwidth is still precious in certain countries.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That "ssokolow" guy in the GOG thread is quite the zealot:

Another status update:

1. I sent off an e-mail to let Rock Paper Shotgun know what's going on.
2. I added the names from the Stoic Team page (Arnie Jorgensen, John Watson, and Drew McGee) to my "Companies/Products To Be Wary Of" list and saved the photos for comparison so that whoever is responsible for this decision can't escape the effects of their actions simply by changing jobs.

THANKS FOR THE STATUS UPDATE. This game has gotten a good amount of publicity, so I wonder if the no-DRM crowd can turn this into #DRMGate.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
This game has gotten a good amount of publicity, so I wonder if the no-DRM crowd can turn this into #DRMGate.
There probably won't be enough momentum for that. First Banner Saga had 3-6 months gap (can't remember which) between Steam and GOG releases so something like this isn't unexpected.
Besides "we don't have currently plans for xxxxx" is common enough communication strategy for releases to boost initial sales.

orcinator

Liturgist

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Let them enjoy seeing their game pirated despite their choice to annoy paying customers. They will not see increased sales as a result of DRM but it doesn't matter if it works, they are after their feels. They don't get it.

J1M

Arcane
But they did cut a cheque to the DRM company so yay?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
It's selling pretty badly so far, considering all the free marketing; 12th place on Steam 10 hours after launch puts it only slightly ahead of AoD's and SoD's launches so far.

It's head-to-head with Factorio, which has been pushing around 4k copies per day in the past week according to SteamSpy. Unless things turn around in the next few hours, they're going to underperform.

Must be all the piracy :M

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Game isn't selling because the gameplay is mediocre. Has nothing to do with the fanatics at GOG.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
It's getting very good Steam reviews, but the launch day audience might be more niche than expected.

It was also a little reckless to go up against a major player like Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code; that game is romping through the charts and sucking up all the attention.

Last edited:

Mozg

Arcane
Finally read the Bubbles review of BS1 and it made me wanna play it, mostly because it sounds weird enough that it will get novelty points

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
BS1 was full points for artistic impression but middling for combat execution. Worth playing for music and art alone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom