Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Banner Saga 2

Unwanted

Douchebag

Unwanted
This game does appear to be a one man work. Outside of designing the new encounters, a few new units and writing everything has been laid down. So the burden lies on the artist, which I assume is just one guy they outsource the work to?

In the first one they seemed to imply they blew all the money on various things but I never quite understood how you can blow away 600K on a foundation this simple, outside of the art.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stoic/the-banner-saga/posts/1470374

Banner Saga Updates

0586a7f8279e0dc79fba98f7fd08b4a7_original.png

Very pleased to let you all know that we’re working hard on wrapping up development on Banner Saga 2. As we get toward the end we’ll start sharing more information about the game, but at this point here’s what we can tell you:

• Combat Changes - Over the past few years we noticed and heard all of the feedback regarding combat in The Banner Saga, so improving that experience has been on the top of our list. We’re adding things to the battle boards to make them more interesting, adding in objectives to certain combat scenarios, vastly increasing the unit and ability diversity, and telling more story via the battle board this time around.
  • The Story Continues - You’re going back to the same world but you’re going to see more of it and experience a host of new characters. We hope you import your saved games from The Banner Saga because doing so will make sure your choices, characters, items and ranks all carry over to Banner Saga 2.
  • Keeping the Bar High - We set a high quality bar for ourselves with the launch of The Banner Saga, and nothing has changed as far as that standard is concerned, except that we like to think we’ve raised the bar just that bit little higher for Banner Saga 2.
One character you’ll encounter early on is Folka. Folka is a shieldmaiden, gets involved in combat up close and personal, is a true force to be reckoned with and is our first female melee character.

726bcd31b43c29b8846f913b28dbeb9c_original.png

Folka

Folka’s size, mind for strategy, and gall make her the unofficial second-in-command of the Ravens, the infamous mercenaries led by the last varl berserk, Bolverk. From a frozen region where a family’s worth is measured daily by the trees they fell, Folka knows hardship and loss better than most, yet still finds reason to fight on. As the only human alive who has challenged Bolverk’s orders and gained his trust, the other mercenaries go to her to make requests. Her strong personality keeps most of the men around her at arm's-length,whether she wants that or not.

Last edited:

pippin

New stuff for combat sounds nice. Powers, Red and Blue meters were ok but you were always doing the same thing. I'm interested to see how the challenges turn out, even if it's just stuff like defeat the enemy in x turns. I'd also add more interactivity with the battle board, kind of what we had in the first Blackguards game.
I'm def. buying this.

J1M

Arcane
I dunno, maybe playing on easy or normal you can play around with leaving everyone on 1HP, but on hard i usually would finish off weak enemies to get +1 willpower so that my another character could do his special or stronger attack against some other enemy. Besides, shooters could place bombs, big ones push you around with armor damage and small ones, if I'm not mistaken, could "silence" you. All three effects pretty annoying. As I mentioned in my previous post, bigger flaw was big ones being able to summon reinforcements that didn't scale to the late game, usually that would result in couple of wasted turns. But its not a flaw of combat system, but of that specific ability.

Either way "optimal play" was all about neutralizing threats. You see that someone dangerous is going to get his turn after couple of your guys? Well then you try to wound him or position yourself out of his reach. You see two enemies, one with 8/5 and another with 10/10? Well if you can you try to wound 10/10 since he is more dangerous. Can't wound him? Then you might try to kill that 8/5 one or hit armor of 10/10 one, decision would usually depend on turn order. Leaving someone intentionally on 1 strength usually wasn't worth it since:

a) No global willpower
b) They still could hit your armor and use their special abilities
c) They'd block you, especially relevant if you were using big dudes
d) It would prolong the battle

Like, sure there would be some situations where leaving someone at 1-2 strength made sense, but that wasn't something that would happen often and definitely not the intended way to play the game.

If speaking about flaws I'd like to add one more thing that I found "meh" - units getting wounded if they get defeated in battle. Its all fine and dandy, but, If I remember correctly, it would lower only strength for next X days. Problem with that was that big tanks would still retain their high armor count and still could do their main role - getting in the face and being annoying. Wizard guy was another case where his strength didn't matter due to him staying further away and usually not using his physical attack + you could equip him with some items that would lower his priority for AI. Essentially I wasn't a fan of this since not all units were hit equally by this and those that needed strength the most (lower armor, high strength damage dealers) would be more likely to bite it in the battle.
No, the combat system was terrible. After the tutorial I immediately saw its flaws and went 6-0 in their online matchmaking test before getting bored.

The key was purposefully allowing a weaker unit to die up front so the better units had more turns. It may be that after dozens of hours your team would not have a clearly weaker unit, but that doesn't make it a good design.

cruelio

Savant
The combat was so bad. Yes I want to spend an entire game fighting the exact same hp sponges, forever.

Nahel

Arcane
The first one had a great potential but got boring around the end. Combat too repetitive and being punished for focusing fire made no sense. With a real turn system, which do not give more actions to the boss because i raped his minions it could very good. And it was a bit sad that the best choice was always fighting yourself and do all the job for the caravan. Let's hope the second improves on that.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nice, I was recently wondering about this game.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/281640/announcements/detail/901091250583187380

Banner Saga 2 Coming April 19th
23 MARCH - MYLL_ERIK
Hello All

Huge thank you for playing The Banner Saga and supporting us during development. Being a small team and working on something we love is both amazing and challenging but we're finally here with Banner Saga 2. Thank you all and we can't wait to get you folks in game!

We're proud to have the Windows and OSX version of the game launching on April 19th. The preorder will also be on a 10% discount up until we launch the game but we will not have any launch day or launch week discounts, however our main price will only be 19.99 this time around instead of 24.99.

April 19th will be here soon! If you have any questions, please let us know via the Steam Forums, Twitter, or Facebook.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I'm not sure I noticed the game's new website before: http://www.bannersaga2.com/whats-new/

A Note from the Team:
stoic_logo_flat_300tall.jpg

We have been hard at work creating the continuation of the Banner Saga. As part of that process, our fans and press spoke up about how we can improve our game. Some of the ways we are making Banner Saga 2 even better is with an increased variety in combat, different win conditions, more significance to managing your caravan, more animated and cinematic scenes, and more variety in characters. This is just a snap shot, but there are many other additions that we feel add to the Banner Saga experience and hopefully an experience you enjoy.
Best of luck to you all on this next stage of the journey. Skol!
~Stoic

New Talents for Specialization

Each hero now can choose a specialized path, or talent, in each of the five attributes; strength, willpower, exertion, armor and break. These talents take Renown points to level it up. Each new level, for a total of three levels, brings more benefit. However be aware that once you chose a path, there is no going back.
Heroes can now reach level 10, instead of their level 5 cap from Banner Saga. As you find new heroes that join your clan you will have to balance how you spend Renown even more given all of its uses. However, having some powerful heroes with upgraded Talents can turn the tide of some of the tougher battles. Finally as you increase in experience your hero can now have two classes that give you additional special attacks during battle.

Horseborn.png

New Races and Monsters

Adding variety to the world was always our plan, however after listening to our community we increased our plan. From an entire new race of Horseborn, powerful bears, creepy skulkers, new humans, new clans, and new bosses, you will get to experience a lot more in battle, encounters and while traveling the dangerous roads.

More Cinematics

The beginning of Banner Saga introduced you all to a world that was in trouble. Clans were battling for control of Strand, the varl were on the move, and Rook and Alette being pursued by beings they thought of myth and legend. All of this was delivered in hand drawn, hand animated cinematic events.
The community certainly wanted more of this and while we are not able to spend millions on cinematics every turn, we did increase this experience quite a bit and throughout the game. We hope you enjoy them.

ormsa_chasm2.png

battlescene-for-whatsnew.png

Updated Combat

Along with the variety of adding new races, classes, talents, and monsters, combat has been given some attention as well. Several new systems will be experienced while in battle. We added story telling in battles where characters are giving more context to the situation or continuing where you left off in dialogue. The choices you make in dialogue also affect who is supporting you in battle or who is not. Destructible environments add some interesting elements by slowing down either side. Finally different battle win conditions change what you have to accomplish while you are fighting.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Private KS Banner Saga 2 Beta

030e5eae617b88db41ea7745cd509921_original.png

We’re bringing you some great news! Banner Saga 2 is about 97.8% finished and we’re going to release the game on April 19th! *Updated* to include more backer tiers.

Remember when we launched The Banner Saga and about 2 weeks later we released a patch to tweak some of the battles? Well, this time around we’d love to get your help in trying to avoid that. We need some people to play through the game in full so we can collect data and analytics.

If you’d like to help us, please send an e-mail to ********. We will send you an NDA to sign, and once you return that you’ll get your beta code and instructions. From that point, we will invite people in waves, so it is possible that not everyone will get into the beta . You won't be allowed to publicly talk about the game nor share info - but we do have a forum set up so you can talk amongst yourselves! If you’re in our beta testing program you can access that forum via this link: http://steamcommunity.com/app/281640/discussions/1/ Please note that only those actively helping us will have access to this forum.

Steps to Get The Banner Saga 2 Beta:
  • E-mail ********** with subject line: Banner Saga 2 Beta (Please use your e-mail address associated with your KickStarter account)
  • Return the Signed NDA
  • Enter your Steam Key and Follow our Beta Instructions
  • Playthrough as much of the game as you can
  • If you want to talk with other beta players, use this Steam forum: http://steamcommunity.com/app/281640/discussions/1/
As a reminder, those of you at the $50 tier and above will be getting a Steam copy on launch day regardless, but this is the chance to get the full game early and help us tweak the balance. Thanks for helping to make the game better!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Check out the new pre-launch trailer for Banner Saga 2, sequel to the award winning indie hit, The Banner Saga. In this action packed role playing, turn based strategy game, continue on your epic journey where hard choices have to be made for your survival and the survival of an entire civilization. Banner Saga 2 on PC will launch on April 19th and consoles later this summer.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://www.gameinformer.com/games/t...e-banner-saga-2-is-better-than-the-first.aspx

The Banner Saga 2
Four Reasons The Sequel Is Better Than The Original

bolv-610.jpg

Stoic’s original Banner Saga set up a planned trilogy of strategy titles that explore the state of a Norse fantasy world after all its gods have died. The company’s sophomore release continues this tragic tale while improving on the compelling strategy framework of the first game. After getting six hours of hands-on time with the near-finished product, we’re more eager than ever to see how this journey comes to a close. Here are four ways Stoic has improved its epic Norse strategy series.

6560.Image11.jpg

1) Story is still king
Like the original, The Banner Saga 2 propels players into a series of hard decisions, asking users to manage the safety and welfare of an entire caravan as they march across the country looking for a safe place to lay their head. Unfortunately, keeping everyone happy is almost impossible, which leads to bloody conflicts on the battlefield. Many players lost more than a few of their best warriors through the ordeals of the first game.

At one point in The Banner Saga 2, I tried to help a few refugees on the side of the road, only to discover – a few hours later – that they had run off with some of my supplies. Not long after that, I encountered a few men executing a witch on the side of the road. I briefly thought about helping her, but she seemed insane and was too much of a wild card. I knew I couldn’t trust her in my caravan, so I allowed the soldier to execute her for the safety of the group. The choices in The Banner Saga aren’t black-and-white moral decisions; these choices are more about learning to read each character’s intentions while planning for the safety of your clan.

Unlike most strategy games, The Banner Saga features a great deal of story and narrative-choice moments. Thankfully, most of these story beats are fairly compelling. The end of the first Banner Saga left fans with a heartbreaking cliffhanger, so we’re excited to continue that story even if we’re nervous to test our capabilities in leading hundreds of people across rivers, over ancient sacred grounds, and through armies of mythological enemies.

0211.Image8.jpg

2) A second caravan
The Banner Saga 2 allows players to control a second caravan led by one of the Banner Saga’s most memorable characters, a giant varl (a man/animal hybrid) named Bolverk “Bloodaxe.” The leader of a mercenary group called the Ravens, Bolverk is a ruthless berserker who’s prone to losing his temper. After this split, the rest of The Banner Saga 2’s narrative bounces between your original clan and Bolverk’s band of mercenaries.

“We wanted to – I don’t want to say lighten the mood – but we wanted to let players experience the world from a different point of view, one that’s not necessarily about trying to be the good guy or save as many people as you can,” says lead writer Drew McGee. “I think players will really enjoy playing as Bolverk, because it’s a very different pace for the game. You don’t have to worry so much about whether or not people like you. It’s almost to your benefit at times to not worry about that at all. Bolverk is a mercenary, he’s very selfish, almost evil.”

Whoever is in charge of your caravan, your whole group ultimately has to band together if they are going to survive. Bolverk’s party creates a nice change of pace for the game, and I found myself getting into the thieving, cold-blooded exchanges that Bolverk had with other people.

4428.Horseborndiscovered.jpg

3) Enter the horseborn
The Banner Saga 2’s journey will lead players south and introduce them to an entirely new race called the horseborn. Tribal, warring, and somewhat mysterious, the horseborn have a lifespan that is only half that of humans. These horseborn once lived among men and varl, but centuries ago they slaughtered all of the horses in order to free themselves from captivity. Now the horseborn feel ashamed of this and have fled south in self-exile.

Not only will players fight the horseborn, but they will be able to add a few to their own ranks. These speedy warriors are designed to roam the battlefield and control their enemies using their mobility. Unlike the bulky centaurs of Greek myth, these horse-people are small, surefooted Icelandic ponies crossed with bronze-age Celts. They are, therefore, only slightly stronger than a human, and can move about far more freely.

Male horseborn are great hit-and-run tacticians who can boost their attack depending on how many squares they travel beforehand – Stoic’s idea of a running head start. They can also move again after an attack to better position themselves for the next turn. Their Mule Kick knocks enemies back into other units and stuns the enemy in the process.

Meanwhile, female horseborn have a passive ability called Free Roam that allows them to move two extra tiles for each Willpower spent. Their javelins are tipped with poison that deals recurring damage, and they can use their spears to pin enemies in place, allowing them to better control the battlefield.

Whether fighting with them or against them, the horseborn push you to change up your battle tactics, and help create new strategies to work around the opposition.

1200.Screen-Shot-2016_2D00_02_2D00_23-at-5.24.25-PM.jpg

4) Combat has evolved
Instead of tinkering with its balanced combat formula, Stoic has instead focused on improving combat in other ways. One of the biggest complaints the team heard after the release of the first game was that players felt like they were fighting the same enemies throughout the entire game.

It didn’t take me long to encounter some of these new beasts. A group of white, hound-like creatures called skulkers slowly sneaked onto the battlefield. These creatures aren’t hard to kill, but they can turn invisible and disappear from combat, so you never know when they are going to turn back up. In one battle, I encountered a group of human-like bog people who had trained bears to fight alongside them. Not only are bears heavy hitters who take a lot of damage, they can resurrect themselves once after you knock them down. The Banner Saga 2’s list of new enemies adds a lot of visual variety to the board, and forces you to approach each combat scenario a little differently.

Stoic’s list of combat tweaks is also fairly extensive. The studio has hand-crafted each battle, adding new victory conditions for some encounters. In the last game, a battle only ended once the player had beaten every enemy on the board. This time around, I encountered several battles that asked me to kill a certain unit or accomplish some other task that lined up with the narrative. Additionally, battles are now better integrated with the story, so heroes talk during combat, and some units will leave or enter the action in the middle of fight. A new training ground also lets heroes hone their skills at camp, allowing them to rank up faster.

If you want to know more about The Banner Saga 2 and its development, read our extended feature in issue 277 of Game Informer Magazine, which just released today. Missed out on The Banner Saga the first time around? Read our review to find out why it was one of the best strategy games of 2014, and then watch us play through the opening moments of the console release in our Test Chamber video series.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Huh: http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/banner-saga-2-pre-sales-far-exceed-first-game-says-stoic

Pre-sale figures for The Banner Saga 2 'far exceed' its predecessor, according to Stoic art director Arnie Jorgensen.

TrustedReviews spoke to Jorgensen and technical director John Watson ahead of The Banner Saga 2's April 19 release, and asked if the company has seen continued support for the sequel following the original's successful starter campaign.

"We’ve got a little bit of feedback now and that the pre-sales right now far exceed anything we saw in Saga one," Jorgensen said, "so we know that there’s a big base of people that played Saga one and are coming through to Saga two."

"And maybe some that are even hopping on board like a lot of people do and saying ‘well I won’t play the first one, I’ll play the second one’ which they just think is probably better, it’s a better game. So we’re just seeing a lot more activity of people piling in now."

When discussing the importance of Kickstarter support, Watson added, "The Kickstarter backers kind of formed the kernel, like the seed of our entire community, and it kind of built up with the development and release of Factions, the multiplayer demo, and they became very involved in that and onward.

Watson goes on to note that, while there was a large number of Kickstarter backers, it is eclipsed by the over one million total players of The Banner Saga. "Once the game was actually released it was like, you know, then it was open to the wide world and the number of players that have played the game dwarfs the Kickstarter backers. The number of Kickstarter backers is about 20,000, which is a lot, but now probably close to a million people have played The Banner Saga, so they really formed the sort of spark and I think that the total audience is much larger."

The Banner Saga 2 launches on April 19 on PC and Mac. The game will also come to PS4, Xbox One and mobile devices some time after launch.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Huh: http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/banner-saga-2-pre-sales-far-exceed-first-game-says-stoic

Pre-sale figures for The Banner Saga 2 'far exceed' its predecessor, according to Stoic art director Arnie Jorgensen.

TrustedReviews spoke to Jorgensen and technical director John Watson ahead of The Banner Saga 2's April 19 release, and asked if the company has seen continued support for the sequel following the original's successful starter campaign.

"We’ve got a little bit of feedback now and that the pre-sales right now far exceed anything we saw in Saga one," Jorgensen said, "so we know that there’s a big base of people that played Saga one and are coming through to Saga two."

"And maybe some that are even hopping on board like a lot of people do and saying ‘well I won’t play the first one, I’ll play the second one’ which they just think is probably better, it’s a better game. So we’re just seeing a lot more activity of people piling in now."

When discussing the importance of Kickstarter support, Watson added, "The Kickstarter backers kind of formed the kernel, like the seed of our entire community, and it kind of built up with the development and release of Factions, the multiplayer demo, and they became very involved in that and onward.

Watson goes on to note that, while there was a large number of Kickstarter backers, it is eclipsed by the over one million total players of The Banner Saga. "Once the game was actually released it was like, you know, then it was open to the wide world and the number of players that have played the game dwarfs the Kickstarter backers. The number of Kickstarter backers is about 20,000, which is a lot, but now probably close to a million people have played The Banner Saga, so they really formed the sort of spark and I think that the total audience is much larger."

The Banner Saga 2 launches on April 19 on PC and Mac. The game will also come to PS4, Xbox One and mobile devices some time after launch.

Happy Kickstarter backers who didn't back for the entire trilogy coming back for Part 2?

Glad that they're doing well. I don't see the game moving huge numbers on PC but the team is like three guys so even a small hit turns them into millionaires.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/banner-saga-gold-edition-trilogy-pack-banner-saga-3

The Banner Saga 'Gold Edition' trilogy pack could launch after third game, says Stoic

When asked if players who own any Banner Saga game would receive these improvements as an update, rather than having to buy this proposed trilogy, Jorgensen added, "We don’t really know how it looks yet, this is all kind of just kind of talk and we’ll probably get more into it after Saga three, so it could take many different forms, it could be just packaging them up."

Arnie goes on to offer a little more insight, "all we know is that we want to update all three to have all the bells and whistles that we’ve been adding along the way. And there’s some mistakes in the first one that we’d like to correct, and then let players enjoy the whole thing."

The Banner Saga 2 launches on April 19 on PC and Mac. A console and mobile version will arrive some time after the initial launch.

Would you be excited for a special edition including all three games and possibly some additional merchandise? Would you pick it up even if you owned one or more of the games? Let us know in the comments below.

Archibald

Arcane
Would probably pick it up if it had some 10-20% discount for owners of first/second part.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-04-12-watch-33-minutes-of-the-banner-saga-2

We all got a little carried away with Kickstarter back in 2012, but there were a few things we got really, really right. Giving Stoic a bunch of money to create The Banner Saga, for example, turned out to be a fantastic idea. The combat may not have been to everyone's taste, but ensuring that disjointed caravan of humans and varl survived their journey towards refuge was unforgettable. Also, have you heard that soundtrack?!

This month will see the release of its sequel, The Banner Saga 2, and I've played a bit of it already. Joined by technical director, John Watson at this year's EGX Rezzed, we played through the game's opening and geeked out over some of the new combat mechanics and how this game promises to remember the decisions we made throughout its predecessor.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom