Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Banner Saga 2

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.gamewatcher.com/interviews/the-banner-saga-2-interview/12534

WITH THE RELEASE FAST INCOMING, CHRIS CAPEL CHATS WITH STOIC ABOUT THE CONTINUING BANNER SAGA

Now we greatly enjoyed the original The Banner Saga, but upon reaching the end it was clear the story wasn’t over. The good news is that Banner Saga 2 is due out soon so we thought it’d be a perfect time to catch up with developer Stoic on what they’re bringing to the sequel. Chris Capel caught up with Arnie Jorgensen and John Watson from Stoic at the EGX Rezzed event and chatted about the game.

GameWatcher: Okay, let’s start with the introductions!

Arnie Jorgensen: I’m Arnie Jorgensen, the Art Director at Stoic.

John Watson: And I’m John Watson, the Tactical Director of Stoic.

GameWatcher: What have you learned from the development and reception of The Banner Saga?

Arnie Jorgensen: We’ve learned a lot from both. We’ve watched a ton of Lets Plays, heard a lot of unvarnished feedback, and most people thought the game was really good and wanted more. Therefore we didn’t want to rethink the whole thing or give players brand new systems so it’ll feel like you’re flowing right from the first game into the second. We’ve done some major improvements to combat. The feedback we received suggested that players loved the combat but after a while they thought it got monotonous. So for TBS2 we’ve got a bunch more win scenarios, we’ve got blockers, and there’s a lot more banter within the combat so it feels more like part of the story.

John Watson: Characters will come onto the board, talk to each other, animations will play, objectives change.

Arnie Jorgensen: That took the lion’s share of the time, improving the combat. We’ve also done some cool things with the Clansmen. Players by the end felt Clansmen were unimportant. We’ve got new systems for them in TBS2. Clansmen can forage for Supplies, and the more you have the more Renown you’ll get during Wars if you save them. You can also convert them to Fighters who can protect your caravan during these Wars and make things easier for you.

John Watson: They also consume more resources so you have to find the right balance. If you have too many Fighters you’ll have a powerful force but no Supplies!

Arnie Jorgensen: And get less Renown! We want to pull the Clansmen into the game mechanics more than we did in Banner Saga.

John Watson: In general we try to communicate things better to the player, like the systems we have in place, what they need to achieve and how they go about doing so.

Arnie Jorgensen: We’ve also taken the Training tent and improved it. John’s created nine different scenarios that teach players the deeper dynamics of combat. A lot of people bumbled through the combat in TBS without ever understanding the combat mechanics whereas this time we’re taking them by the hand and helping them to learn in a fun way.

GameWatcher: The Training does seem expanded a lot, I don’t even remember using it in the first game!

Arnie Jorgensen: A lot of people went in, tried it, and never went back. But now going through the different scenarios nets you a lot of Renown too.

John Watson: We’re trying to give players access to the information that may have been hidden previously, such as a lot of the advanced interactions between units.

Arnie Jorgensen: After that we hope players will take this information and apply it to their Hero units. The Training tent is also where you convert Clansmen to Fighters so it’s a lot more important to TBS2 than it was before. Testers have been saying that we seem to have sanded off the rough edges from the first Saga too. We’re hoping players come in to TBS2 thinking that it’s got all the things they like from the first game but a lot more polished.

GameWatcher: I can definitely say that I was one of those who bumbled through the first game’s combat…

Arnie Jorgensen: Yeah, we’ve seen plenty of people get way late into the game and still not know why shots missed for example, so we dropped the ball a little on that. We’re really making a concerted effort to teach players the game a little better. We also want to do it through the story more organically. Instead of a big tooltip popping up we introduce players to new systems through the characters.

GameWatcher: It’s still the on-rails style of the first game of course, but in TBS2 do players have any additional choice over which way to go?

Arnie Jorgensen: It’s similar to the first one. You head to the same locations but how things play out there is entirely up to you and the decisions you’ve made along the way. I think if we had another team working on this we could start diverging but it would be a lot of work for a tiny team like Stoic to do that!

GameWatcher: How big’s the team at the moment?

Arnie Jorgensen: We have four full-time in-house people.

John Watson: And we also have contractors from around the world, such as music, audio, QA, some art, VO, publishing, but mostly just those four people!

GameWatcher: Do you prefer keeping a small team?

Arnie Jorgensen: One of the things we started off saying is, if we can stay small and lean then we can work on the games we want to work on. We don’t need to sell a million units. The bigger a team gets the more units it needs to sell, and that’s when you start looking at what games people are playing and try to make games like that rather than making games we want to make.

John Watson: Growing a studio has a lot of risks involved with it. If you’ve got 20 people then your studio has to be pulling in a quarter of a million dollars a month. The downside with being really small though is you have to do everything!

GameWatcher: Of course you were both at Bioware previously weren’t you?

John Watson: Yes, we both worked on Star Wars: The Old Republic which had about 600 people working on it, and that’s an army! It’s different certainly. Every single developer in that situation focuses on their specialty. I worked on character and combat animations and that was my thing, I didn’t do anything else. Whereas on Banner Saga I’d have a hand in every part of the game.

Arnie Jorgensen: It’s two different mentalities really. It’s not like indie’s cooler or AAA’s cooler. I have a lot of friends still working AAA and they love it.

John Watson: On the other hand if you’re the only programmer on a game you have to do everything. Tools, ability systems, the packaging, the .exe installer!

Arnie Jorgensen: The only thing that really got me down on AAA, other than I’m used to doing my own thing, is that we can make our own decisions and nobody’s there to say “financially this might not be a smart move”. You sit in a lot of meetings where they say things like “people don’t want that” and we have to just say “okay”.

John Watson: Working on a big MMO, if you’re a lead of any sort you’re spending half your day in meetings. In The Banner Saga there were many times when we came across a problem and the three of us would meet for 20 minutes with a whiteboard and just make a decision. That’s really refreshing. But there’s room for both kinds. In AAA you’re working alongside some of the top people in the industry, like the best artists or programmers, and they’re there if you want to ask them questions. If I get stuck I can just walk down the hall and ask someone. With independent it’s more of a challenge communicating with other developers. It’s important to have a support network, getting involved with independent game developers.

GameWatcher: Speaking of finance, I think a lot of the community were expecting you to go back to Kickstarter for the sequel, how have you managed to bypass this?

Arnie Jorgensen: We made enough on the first game to make TBS2. On TBS1 we had our own funds and we could’ve made the game but because of the Kickstarter we could make a bigger game. We might not on the third Banner Saga either but we might, as it creates a big passionate community. There are also tough things about doing a Kickstarter. It does take months of time to put it all together.

John Watson: One shouldn’t underestimate how much work goes into running a Kickstarter campaign. You create a community and then you’re engaging with that community for the rest of development. It’s a full-time job! We discussed about whether to do another Kickstarter or whether to just get cracking.

Arnie Jorgensen: Would fans prefer a Kickstarter or the game three months early? I think they’d rather just get the game! I mean, money’s one thing but in a small team time is your biggest resource, and by running a campaign you’re giving up time.

John Watson: Preparation will take at least a month, campaign will take a month, and the aftermath will take a month. Then for the whole next year or two you have reward fulfilment, community management… out of a four person team one of those people will have to commit themselves to the backers and that’s a serious commitment. It was great though for getting us started, and for anyone with a great idea and maybe a playable prototype it could be a great experience. It was a slam-dunk for us.

GameWatcher: You mentioned a third game, have you planned Banner Saga as a trilogy or are you going further than that?

Arnie Jorgensen: It was designed as a trilogy. Actually we had the whole story laid out and we were going to do it as one game but we were told that we were crazy, it’d take too long. The plot’s complete. Saying that, we have so many things we want to do that we’re leaving on the cutting room floor that it’d be really nice to get back to. We often kick around the idea of after finishing Saga branching out and doing some episodic content based in the same world. We could have some real fun with it.

John Watson: A lot of things happen to characters in the world that you don’t get to see. There are plenty of stories we could tell, perhaps a 1-2 hour experience.

Arnie Jorgensen: Once we get Saga 3 done we’ll look at it and see if people want more. It’s a big world and if there’s interest there we might well continue it. We love this world!

GameWatcher: Would you consider different types of game in this world?

Arnie Jorgensen: Absolutely, in fact we’ve been talking about that very thing. We’ve already had a board game done, Warbands.

John Watson: Of course we built a multiplayer game first, Banner Saga: Factions, and there’s a community around that who are really into it. Factions is a tiny little game that we never really supported, but if we made a game that focused on the combat and gave you things to do, RPG character levelling, something like that. We wished we had time to support Factions, but it really needs a team just for that.

GameWatcher: I was going to ask if you’d considered doing a Factions 2.

Arnie Jorgensen: That’s what we mean, like a relaunch. Something where you can build cities and characters up too. We’ve spoken to other teams about doing games in the Banner Saga world but Factions is something we really want to do ourselves!

John Watson: If it were a totally different genre that we weren’t really experts in we’d be more willing to give it up. In fact the Warbands board game was designed almost entirely by Megacon, with our feedback but they’re the experts, they knew what they were doing. But a competitive online combat game, we already have ideas on how to do that.

GameWatcher: At the end of the first game both caravans we’d been playing as joined up. Do they stay that way? Do they get along?

Arnie Jorgensen: Well, you’ll have to see! [we laugh]

John Watson: Rook and Alette are both morally good people, whereas Bolverk [the huge Varl in charge of the Raven mercenary group], his ethics just involve fulfilling his contract and aside from that he’s fairly amoral. So there’s a bit of natural tension between their motivations.

SPOILER WARNING FOR THE FIRST GAME’S ENDING IN THE NEXT QUESTION!

GameWatcher: Going into the second game, the final choice in TBS1 places either Rook or Alette as the caravan leader. Was it difficult to have two completely different characters as player characters?

Arnie Jorgensen: That was really handled by Drew McGee, who’s the writer of TBS2 and he helped us on the first game too along with Alex Thomas. It was a real burden on Drew! It was like writing three games almost, and I think it became bigger than he thought it would. There was certain corners we tried to cut that became obvious we shouldn’t, so we just had to do it right.

John Watson: And there’s so many other characters who may or may not be with you based on your choices in the first game, and some may have important stories in TBS2.

Arnie Jorgensen: Keeping these stories in line became a real juggling act, and going into the third game it’ll probably be even bigger!

John Watson: We’ll just have to kill everyone off except one character! [we laugh]

GameWatcher: Yeah, a brand new set of characters for the next game!

John Watson: Yes, let’s kill everyone off!

GameWatcher: Annoyingly I seem to have lost my save from the first game.

Arnie Jorgensen: I’m sorry. In Saga 2 at least you can either import a savegame or play the default and just choose a leader.

GameWatcher: Did you consider doing something like Dragon Age: Inquisition and allow players to micromanage their choices?

Arnie Jorgensen: We did kick that idea around but I didn’t really like it. I didn’t really want players to try and ‘game’ the system or know where the choices are. We wanted it to be more like a novel, where you’re never sure what’s going to happen.

John Watson: More mysterious that way. On the other hand the save files are all in text format so if a player wants to edit the save I totally encourage that!

GameWatcher: Is Austin Wintory back as the composer?

Arnie Jorgensen: Yes, Austin’s back, and we’ve got the Colorado Symphony Orchestra with him doing the music. We recorded that back in December. It’s amazing. It’s a little bit louder, a bit brasher than the first, and unbelievably beautiful.

GameWatcher: Did you consider more voice acting?

Arnie Jorgensen: There is more narration, but not full VO.

John Watson: We’ve also done more video scenes. In TBS1 we really frontloaded the animated scenes at the beginning, and in TBS2 we not only made more of them but we spread them out more.

GameWatcher: Okay, let’s role-play! You’re each in charge of your own caravan travelling down the river in The Banner Saga. You see a group of people begging for help on the shore. They could have supplies with them or have skills you need, or they could just be a burden. Either way a group of Dredge are approaching fast and stopping is risky. What do you do?

John Watson: I would pull over and rescue them! And fight the Dredge if necessary.

Arnie Jorgensen: I would talk to one of my trusted friends like Oddleif and they might say something like “no there’s a Fire Witch in there” or “they look like nice people” and I’d probably listen to that advice.

GameWatcher: Do you think you’d last long running a caravan in this world?

Arnie Jorgensen: Um… no. [we laugh] I don’t think enough like a Viking probably, and it’s easy for me in a game to say “let’s not throw them food” but in real life I couldn’t do that!

John Watson: I would brashly run into every situation and probably get everyone wiped out.

Arnie Jorgensen: Certainly in TBS2 I’ve found a lot of people who want something and I keep going “no” and moving on!

John Watson: There are certainly cases in both games where helping people doesn’t work out in your favor.

Arnie Jorgensen: Do you pull over?

GameWatcher: Yes I do, and I usually pay for it!

Arnie Jorgensen: Yeah, like “why did I do that?” You keep getting your hand slapped but you keep going for it.

GameWatcher: So when’s Banner Saga 2 out?

Arnie Jorgensen: We’re launching April 19th on PC and Mac, and hopefully consoles soonish after.

GameWatcher: Okay, thanks for talking with me!

Arnie Jorgensen: No problem, we appreciate it!

Thanks again to Arnie and John for talking with me about The Banner Saga series and a reminder again that Banner Saga 2 will be out April 19th with our review hopefully coming out the same day. If I can successfully bumble my way through it, anyway.

Perkel

Arcane
BS is game i always wanted to try but then i instantly remember that it features VIKINGS and all that crap shit and instantly my dick gets flacid.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Not like there are many, if any, proper viking games.

This is obviously not one of them.

Perkel

Arcane
Why you hating vikings? :outrage:

I don't hate vikings. I hate whole bastardized shebang that comes with them that has 0 to do with vikings from mythology to their structure. Whole ideas of "vikings" in first place is some idiocy.

You know shit is fucked up when only really good media that gets them right is fucking japanese dudes writing this manga, and when they do get it right it is amazing to read without your typical hurr durr VIKINGS ! I don't think that word is even used once in that manga.

Vinland_Saga_volume_01_cover.jpg

and has amazing art too:

LGm0Tuy.jpg

81ed385fbc7cb55116010edfa4561696f644f966_hq.jpg

vinland-saga-2506499.jpg

also notice how they got AXES right:

vinland-saga-3947367.jpg

Last edited:

Archibald

Arcane
I understand that but I don't think that anyone expects accurate depiction of vikings in Banner Saga. Its just has some visual influence and thats about it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Reviews are coming in: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-04-19-the-banner-saga-2-review

The Banner Saga 2 Review
No sign of flagging.

jpg

recommended-large-net.png

Gorgeous and mournful, The Banner Saga 2 is enriched by a story that meaningfully remembers the choices we've made.

There's a character in The Banner Saga called Egil. You probably won't remember much about him even if you played the first game, aside from the fact that he carries a big shield and clearly fancies the protagonist's daughter, Alette. He's alright, but a little forgettable in what becomes an epic tale of giants, magic and a world-devouring serpent. In fact, according to the developers, only something like five percent of players managed to keep him alive throughout the events of the first game. A fairly minor character, then. But as part of that five percent of players (not bragging, just saying), I was delighted to see Egil play a small role in The Banner Saga 2 after importing my save file. These games delight in conveying the terrible burdens of leadership and so it feels especially important that the choices made so far have meant something.

In fact, as I began this second game in what will be a trilogy, I realised that alongside Egil, something like half of the heroes in my group could have been killed off in The Banner Saga had I opted for a different narrative choice. This was somewhat overwhelming to begin with, as each character retains their level, abilities and items from the previous game - that ends up being a lot of numbers to refamiliarise yourself with. But crucially, it felt like I was leading my caravan, my survivors.

Of course, there's an overarching plot that every player will experience in The Banner Saga 2 regardless, but along the way I was impressed by the small moments in which characters - characters that didn't have to be there - cropped up with extra dialogue, sometimes offering an alternative approach to a problem I'd encountered. I was expecting Stoic to face the same hurdle that tripped Telltale Games with titles like The Walking Dead, in which the player's decisions usually feel temporary. A character saved in one episode is likely to die in the next to avoid a branching narrative that could quickly spiral out of control. The Banner Saga 2 does a lot less with its minor characters, but as a result, it manages to tell a story that truly is determined by the player. Your decisions aren't delaying the fate of each hero, but rather, deciding it.

jpg

I trust this is quite the insult.

So yes, I'm impressed that forgettable Egil and his pals show up (or don't!), but there is one choice made in the final moments of The Banner Saga that much more dramatically alters how its sequel plays out. The destination will remain the same, sure, but the entire tone of this sequel's journey is changed depending on what happened in the first game's final battle. With all of this in mind, I'd strongly advise that you play through this series from start to finish and not to begin your story with The Banner Saga 2. Starting here is an option - you can use a default game state - but in doing so, you'll lose a big part of what makes these games special.

Okay, The Banner Saga 2 remembers you, and that's great. Outside of that, the game feels pretty familiar - for better and worse. Just like its predecessor, it's a phenomenally attractive game to travel through. From time to time your caravan will push forwards, unhindered, across some impossible vista, and it's a genuine pleasure to just sit back and watch that happen. These brief moments of respite between battles are the reminder we need that this is probably a world worth saving. That feeling is amplified tenfold by an incredible score from the Colorado Symphony, which, by the way, changes depending on the decision you made at the end of the last game! Okay, I'm done talking about that now.

The combat has seen a few interesting changes, largely driven by the handful of new unit types introduced. Both you and the enemy forces will have the option to take advantage of stealth, using relatively weak units that can do increased damage when landing a surprise attack. There's a new poet class to consider - a poet! - which offers some pretty hefty buffs across the battlefield, but you'll need to keep them well protected. It's also possible, at one point, to recruit a brand new race of heroes, which I won't spoil, other than saying they're significantly more mobile than the rest of your group. On top of the potentially large roster of heroes you're bringing with you from The Banner Saga, this gives you plenty of options to consider when selecting your six-person team.

jpg

Gosh, it is pretty though.

Whilst we're on that topic, The Banner Saga 2 does a much better job at explaining how to make best use of your heroes as an actual group, thanks to a new camp trainer that rewards you for completing his challenges. One character, Bolverk, has an unrivalled potential for damage dealing (thanks to a second attack he can make each turn), but it's difficult to keep him in fighting shape and ensure that he's in the best position each turn. Well, as pointed out in one of the trainer's early challenges, there are other heroes that can help deal with both of those problems. Suddenly Bolverk made an awful lot more sense to me, and quickly became my first pick for most encounters. Every time you gain access to a new type of unit, there's a challenge waiting to show you just how they're meant to be played. This proves to be a big help.

As a result, I think I got more out of the combat in this sequel than I did in the original game. The battles themselves are a little more dynamic, too. You'll still run into fights that ask you to kill every single enemy unit, but The Banner Saga 2 introduces other objectives too. Take out a specific enemy and the rest will flee, or hold off a dredge force long enough for a couple of your units to clear an avalanche blocking the road. It's a nice change of pace in a game that still, for the most part, sees you fighting the same enemy types over and over.

Unfortunately Stoic hasn't been able to fix what is perhaps the biggest problem facing The Banner Saga series. Figuring out interesting ways to combine your units' strengths on the battlefield may be a fun exercise, but fundamentally, the combat itself is missing something vital.

jpg

Here's one of the training challenges, designed to show off the poet's abilities.

As it stands, the player and computer alternate turns, controlling just a single unit each time. This will always happen until one side has just a single unit left, at which point the battle enters a 'pillage' phase and the larger force is allowed to take actions with all its units before the losing side gets a chance to respond. On paper, this sounds like it could work. Combine this setup with hero abilities that can push enemy units back in the turn order and you have what could be a fairly interesting battle system.

The problem comes with the fact that a unit's hit points also act as their potential damage output. A warrior with 14HP will do exactly 14 points of damage with a standard attack, and so damaging that warrior will reduce any further damage he inflicts throughout the remainder of the battle. This means that - in almost every situation - the best way to approach a battle in The Banner Saga 2 is to damage, but not kill, every single enemy on the field. Ideally you want to force the computer to waste entire turns on units with just a single hit point remaining. Only when the entire force is weakened do you actually want to think about killing units and winning the encounter. This ends up being a pretty boring way to think about turn-based combat and I was hoping the sequel would do significantly more to address that.

But just like the first game, there's still so much to love about The Banner Saga 2 that I can't help but overlook this seemingly gigantic flaw. It's a wonderful, wonderful game that draws you in with its brittle art style and its heroes and villains, only to ask of you the most impossible questions. Make your choices, face the consequences, survive the journey. This is a series, that still, to this day, justifies the existence of Kickstarter. It's beautiful and it's sad, and despite its stilted approach to turn-based combat, is undeniably worth your time.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/04/19/the-banner-saga-2-review/

Wot I Think: The Banner Saga 2

bannersagaheader.jpg

Despite its flaws, The Banner Saga [official site] is one of the most memorable indie releases of 2014, and now the second act is here to push the story to even more desperate frontiers. But does The Banner Saga 2 improve upon its predecessor’s lackluster strategy combat while still expanding on its promising story? Here’s wot I think. (Note: there are spoilers for the first Banner Saga’s ending).

Let’s cut to the chase: The Banner Saga 2 is much better than the first one. But just as much as the heroes struggle to reconcile their place in a dying world, so too does The Banner Saga 2 sometimes struggle to reconcile its different parts. It’s still flawed, beautiful, and most of all, memorable. And whether or not you finished the first game, the improved combat alone makes The Banner Saga 2 worth coming back for.

bannersaga1.jpg

The immortal Sundr, Bellower, is dead, and his host of dredge routed. But that victory means little as a mysterious darkness continues to spread from the north and a rampant giant serpent tries to gobble everything up. Picking up almost immediately where The Banner Saga left off, the second act is an even bleaker exploration of a dying world. You’ll pick up the story playing as either Rook, the humble hunter-turned-chieftain, or his daughter, Alette, depending on which one survived the encounter with Bellower. With the loss of their only family still fresh, there’s no time to mourn as the caravan sets off for the supposed safety of the human capital of Arberrang.

In many ways, The Banner Saga 2 is a direct extension of the first game. The formula of travelling, fighting, and decision-making has changed little between the two—at least when viewing them from a distance. Unlike other story-based trilogies, like Mass Effect, both acts of The Banner Saga could be played back-to-back as if they were one game. But looking closer, The Banner Saga 2 introduces subtle tweaks that make it a much more enjoyable experience.

Arguably the worst aspect of the first Banner Saga is the combat, which starts off promising before devolving into a samey slog as you battle the limited combinations of dredge again and again. Thankfully, The Banner Saga 2 does a much better job of living up to its strategic potential.

bannersaga2.jpg

Playing out on a grid-based map, the turn-based combat will still challenge you to decide between attacking an enemy’s strength or armour. Since strength represents both health and how much damage a character can dish out, the temptation to go straight for blood can be strong. But playing more conservatively and chipping away at armour in order to line up some more devastating blows later can be a much more sound tactic—especially against the stone-like dredge.

The improvements to The Banner Saga 2’s combat don’t shake up its core formula but expand on it by adding a wealth of new classes and enemies. It was an excellent surprise to feel like each battle contained some new wrinkle keeping me on my toes. New enemy types range from variations of already established classes, like different types of dredge slingers, to entirely new creations. During one fight, I squared off against a group of unsettling monsters that were able to temporarily forge a link with my heroes and sap their strength. Even worse, should I attack one of them while the link was active, they would transfer the damage to whichever hero they were linked to. Considering how much the first Banner Saga reused the same foes again and again, I was shocked when I never encountered any of these monsters a second time.

bannersaga3.jpg

The horseborn are the most prominent addition to the mix of human, giant-like varl, and dredge. The centaur-like creatures quickly became some of my favorite to use and fight against due to their ability to take a second movement action after attacking, making them deadly skirmishers. From a narrative angle, their introduction is less noteworthy, as they tend to feel like a cliche of primitive aboriginal cultures, which feels out of place next to the more subversive nuances of the varl and human societies.

Increases in the variation of enemy units and the strategies aren’t the only refinements, either. Unlike the first game, where the fights always feel distinctly separate from the story, the lines between the two have been better blurred. Choices leading up to battles have a greater impact on the outcome—for better or for worse. There’s also a much more fluid nature to combat that makes it unpredictable and often tense. Win conditions have been expanded beyond “kill everything” and are much more dynamic. In one fight, the rules changed suddenly when a new enemy stormed the field. If I could kill it, the other dredge would retreat, but doing so was a brutal gambit as more and more enemies flooded the map with each passing turn, requiring attention of their own.

bannersaga4.jpg

Fortunately, your own strategic options have also been expanded. There’s still the same routine of levelling up heroes, increasing their stats and unlocking new abilities, but there’s plenty of new classes to play with. Many of them are more utilitarian than the rabble of warriors you had to choose from in the first game, and I loved experimenting with all of the new abilities and discovering powerful synergies. The poet is easily my favorite new addition, as his insult skill allowed me to push a specific enemy’s turn to the back of the queue, effectively preventing them from making a move.

Sadly, the new potential in combat isn’t always used skillfully, especially when it matters most. During one of the final battles, the moment was ruined because, suddenly, the rules were bent to make the fight more challenging. Without explanation, damaging the boss’s armor had no effect, and I flailed around helplessly for a few turns before realising the poor attempt to usher me towards dealing with that boss in a very specific way. Given how much freedom I had in previous battles, this suddenly narrow approach to combat felt jarring. It’s also annoying that The Banner Saga 2 would so carelessly rewrite its own rules. Fortunately, these slips feel small compared to The Banner Saga 2’s larger successes.

While the combat is greatly improved, the same can’t really be said for the caravan management, which still struggles to feel necessary to the rest of the game. Like The Banner Saga, I spent long stretches watching my caravan venture forward along a two dimensional trail while occasionally pausing to rest or make choices that impacted the wellbeing of my clan. But The Banner Saga 2 struggles to make many of these decisions meaningful. Buying supplies, managing morale, and balancing how many warriors and clansmen you have feel like they could be mostly ignored without much consequence as their impact on the combat and the story is, at times, negligible.

bannersaga5.jpg

There’s still that awkward tension between telling a somewhat linear story and giving players the freedom of managing their caravan, and too often The Banner Saga 2 sacrifices the latter to protect the former. During one nasty stretch of my trip, a series of bad decisions led to my troops having no food for almost a week. As morale dipped and clansmen and warriors died from starvation each day, there was barely any perceivable impact. Once I made it to the next village, I stocked up and replenished my ranks as if nothing bad had happened.

That isn’t to say that The Banner Saga 2 isn’t incapable of presenting interesting choices, but it does have a hard time making all of them feel like they’re not just thin illusions. Later in the story, when the stakes were higher, I was painfully aware of the mortality of the people in my party. Choosing to send one of my heroes to hold off a group of oncoming dredge was a decision that filled me with dread as I knew they might never return. When they did, I felt like a huge weight had been lifted from my shoulders. But that tension can be ruined when you realize that these moments are predetermined. The Banner Saga 2 can sometimes feel like playing a session of Dungeons and Dragons with a spiteful dungeon master; no matter how well thought out a decision might be, if The Banner Saga 2 wants you to bleed, you’ll bleed.

bannersaga6.jpg

While the time spent with the caravan is the weak link in The Banner Saga’s chain, it’s failure as a system mostly feels like a missed opportunity rather than a thorn in my side. It’s easy to forget about once the story picks up steam. Early on, the narrative splits between Rook (or Alette) and Bolverk, the savage leader of the Ravens. While the shifts in perspective from the first Banner Saga don’t always feel natural, The Banner Saga 2 makes much better use of the technique to deliver two stories that throw one another into an intriguing contrast.

Rook’s journey south to the human capital of Arberrang is still just as desperate as it always was, and the pain of losing his daughter creates some tender moments that gently prod the reality of grief and responsibility. But it was the chapters following Bolverk that I truly adored, as the brutish mercenary fights between his vicious nature and a mysterious weakness. There’s enough freedom in his dialogue choices that let me shape Bolverk as a character, and I loved the way my decisions seemed to slightly melt his icy heart, making rare moments of vulnerability feel even more poignant. Bolverk also becomes central to the mystery surrounding the darkness engulfing the north, and the small teases of his relationship with a certain dredge are one of the plot threads I can’t wait to see resolved.

In our review of the first game, Adam had argued that the second half becomes a slog largely thanks to the combat, but I’m pleased to say that the same isn’t true for The Banner Saga 2. In fact, it’s quite the opposite. The second half had me so wrapped up in wanting to see what happened next that I sprinted to the end credits over a single six hour stretch, enjoying each fight along the way.

bannersaga7.jpg

The somber worldbuilding of the first game dramatically shifts during the second half of The Banner Saga 2, and the gorgeous artistic style flexes its muscles to deliver vistas that filled me with both awe and dread. Being the second act of a trilogy, I was concerned that The Banner Saga 2 would feel inconsequential to the greater arc of the story, but I can safely say that really isn’t the case. While major revelations about the darkness that is forcing everyone south still remained unanswered, there are enough threads teased out that I’m satisfied. Most of all, the final quiet moments before the climax instill a powerful sense of distance. I was reminded of the the effect that the Lord of the Rings movies so elegantly accomplished and truly felt the many miles that had passed behind me.

The Banner Saga 2 is a beautiful sequel. There are moments where, as I watch the drama unfold in the dialogue and cutscenes, I almost forget I’m playing a game that came out in this decade. There’s an evocative sense of timelessness about the story and world that few RPGs create. And now that the combat has become a strength and not a weakness, immersing myself in the richness of The Banner Saga’s dying world is almost as enchanting as cracking open the weathered pages of my favorite fantasy novels.

The Banner Saga 2 is out today for Windows and Mac.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://www.pcgamer.com/the-banner-saga-2-review/

THE BANNER SAGA 2 REVIEW

Time continues washing over us, says The Banner Saga 2’s narrator as the story starts up again. It’s an apt metaphor for the plight of your surviving leader, with a caravan’s worth of followers in real danger of drowning beneath an unforgiving tide that’s sweeping ever closer. If that wasn’t bad enough, hidden currents also lie in wait, ready to drag them under; these terrible circumstances are the kind that force good people into morally murky waters, making decisions that could easily see history paint them as the bad guy.

Like its predecessor, The Banner Saga 2 is a game that dares to make the struggle to survive feel perilously close to futile. It invites you to do what you can to keep your people alive, even in the knowledge that it might not—and, in all likelihood, probably won’t—be enough. That in itself is a gauntlet being thrown down, a challenge to players to succeed against shattering odds—or at least to delay defeat as long as possible. But its greatest triumph is to invest you so deeply in a decaying world and its inhabitants that, no matter how bad things get, you want the journey to continue. The scenery is a huge draw, but you’ll want your cast to live long enough to see the same magnificent sights, too.

If anything, the canvas is even more sprawling than before. The starkly beautiful setting seems to make you feel smaller than ever—at times, you’ll find yourself peering into the background at what looks like a tiny swarm of ants scuttling across the screen. If you weren’t already sure of your place in the world, these sequences makes you acutely aware of just how vulnerable your exhausted band really is. As before, the funereal trudge of your cortège cleverly captures both the sensation of time passing and the prevailing feeling of despair.

The world is visibly breaking, and your caravan is no different. Departures come more frequently, as allies choose alternative paths, and others bid a more tragic farewell. More significantly, your choices, however well intentioned, cause rifts within the camp. Conflict grows organically from the decisions you actively make and those that are unceremoniously thrust upon you - with one exception, as an agonising late game dilemma leads you to face a former ally on the battlefield. This is high stakes, high drama stuff, but a rare moment of contrivance, too, with the ramifications of your choice not becoming clear until it’s too late. It’s powerful, but manipulatively so; manufactured, seemingly, to increase the emotional weight of your eventual choice.

It is, however, a small misstep on a tense, gripping and pitiless journey. The pervasive threat of the armoured Dredge on your tail is a constant menace that pushes you into pressing on even as legs, hearts and minds are giving out. But can you afford to hang back to accommodate the stragglers, or do you abandon them to their fate for the good of the rest? Some of the options here are troublingly dark, and raise questions of whether survival is really worth the loss of humanity—or, in a few cases, sanity. Even before a delirious trek through a strange forest, people are clearly losing their grip. Then again, the mercurial Tryggvi’s gnomic mutterings could equally be a sign of disturbing foresight. Then there’s ragged slaughterer Bak, carrying the thousand-yard stare of a man who’s seen far too much for one lifetime, and who clings onto his beloved spear just a little too tightly for comfort.

If grief and madness reign among this first group, the second party you command is powered by rage and confusion. As the Ravens, a mercenary group introduced at the climax of the first game, forge their own route towards the human capital of Arberrang, their hulking Varl leader Bolverk experiences increasingly potent visions that threaten to undermine his iron fisted rule. The narrative cleverly interweaves the stories of both groups, with characters and motifs recurring in both threads. There’s some weighty thematic material here, too: the introduction of a third race, the horseborn, allows Stoic to touch upon ideas of intolerance and xenophobia in a resonant and relevant fashion.

While this might all sound a little too self-consciously solemn, The Banner Saga 2 takes itself seriously in all the right ways. And though it’s a shade or so darker than its predecessor, there are more instances of dry humour sprinkled throughout. There’s no risk of it turning into The Banter Saga, though these exchanges will likely raise a smile or two. Maybe it’s a by-product of the ubiquitous gloom, but moments of light relief such as these and the odd unexpected act of kindness are as moving in their own way as the death of a favourite character. The ability to laugh in the face of fear and adversity proves a powerful expression of the human spirit.

The need to marshal a growing cast means that some characters, inevitably, get shorter shrift. In some cases, that’s simply because you’ve not used them often in battle, or spoken to them outside it, and so their act of unlikely heroism falls flat. Otherwise, it’s simply that Stoic hasn’t quite given everyone enough time to shine: one unexpected loss arrives a little too soon to have the desired impact. Perhaps, however, that’s part of the plan; certainly, it’s a reminder that death can come swiftly and suddenly, and that no one should be considered off limits when it’s time for the Grim Reaper’s scythe to descend.

Stoic’s storytelling is more sure-footed, then, and so too are the strategic systems that power its turn-based skirmishes. There’s more variety in the encounters here, and narrative elements are more skilfully woven in. You might begin the battle with a series of hastily constructed barriers thanks to an astute choice beforehand. Later, you’ll be asked to quickly clear a path while a wave of Dredge advances on your position. Another mission invites you to keep a single unit protected for as long as possible, and there are further variations besides. None of this fundamentally affects how it plays, but contextual adjustments make for a pleasant change from simply killing everything to win.

New characters and new classes give you a much wider array of tactical options, some of which can produce devastating combinations, assuming you can keep the relevant units alive long enough to pull them off. The poet Aleo’s active ability buffs characters to add a unit of damage for each two units of strength their opponent has above theirs; as such, you can motivate a wounded ally to take an almighty swing at a particularly powerful enemy for huge damage. And if it’s a killing blow, it’ll trigger his passive for any friendly units in the vicinity, for a small but possibly crucial boost to their finite supply of Willpower, used to enhance the potency of any attack.

Bolverk, meanwhile, can always count upon faithful shieldmaiden Folka. Put her by his side in battle and she’ll give him a defensive boost, but his untrammelled fury means she might get the odd whack from his twin axes - though that second random swing might just take another chunk out of the strength bar of his opposite number. Alternatively, you could choose to surround Bak with allies to give him close to a 100 per cent chance of a double-damage critical hit. Specialised training exercises encourage you to learn how to make best use of these new characters and their abilities, and you’ll earn bonus renown for completing all objectives. Slaying opponents here also contributes to your kill count, giving you the chance to promote weaker units without forcing them into crucial fights before they’re ready.

Though it takes a while for them to arrive, the Horseborn add an extra strategic wrinkle with their ability to move after attacking—letting you gallop forward, land a blow and then retreat to a position of relative security. Assuming you can find one, that is. With javelin throwers, archers, Horseborn and Dredge throwing magic grenades—not to mention the insidious little hatchlings that turn invisible until you bump into them—there are very few spaces where you’re entirely safe from harm.

However, even the more expansive battlegrounds can get cramped and visually messy, particularly when you factor corpses into the equation. There’s still no option to rotate the display to get a better angle. Zooming in or out can sometimes help, but otherwise you’ll have to either examine the turn order at the bottom of the screen to see who you’re targeting or squint. It’s disappointing that such an obvious flaw from the first game hasn’t been fixed; likewise that established rules aren’t always applied consistently. Injured parties that would ordinarily be forced to rest for several days will miraculously be up for selection in the next battle if the plot demands their availability.

You’ll forgive the occasions where the narrative and mechanics don’t always dovetail perfectly for the moments in which they do—spectacularly so during one story beat, as Stoic somehow generates nerve-fraying tension from a sequence conducted at walking pace. Yes, there’s still room for improvement, but this is a smart, worthy sequel: denser, richer, more complex and yet more intimate. Even if you’ll feel in dire need of a stiff drink once this second act draws to its devastating close.

THE VERDICT

THE BANNER SAGA 2
A handsome and brutal strategy sequel that benefits from a range of intelligent improvements

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://www.pcgamesn.com/the-banner-saga-2/the-banner-saga-2-pc-review

The Banner Saga 2 PC review

The%20Banner%20Saga%202%20review.jpg

Over two years have passed since a pair of miserable caravans fought and struggled their way across the world of The Banner Saga, facing starvation, betrayal, and the ever-present Dredge, a race of golem-like monsters. As The Banner Saga 2 returns to these survivors, however, hardly any time has passed at all.

The world’s still ending, you once again find yourself in charge of desperate, exhausted warriors and families, and the Dredge continue to nip at your heels. This is a sequel that hits the ground running – or at least moving as quickly as a caravan filled with tired, frightened people can – and doesn’t spend much time looking back.

bannersaga5_0.jpg

If you import your original save, you’re not just getting the impact of your decisions from the previous game, like who lived or died, but all your experience, skills and items as well. Despite a brief battle tutorial, it feels a little bit like starting in the middle of a game – and for me, as well as presumably many others, one that was last played more than two years ago.

It’s all a bit bewildering at first, being flung in the deep end full of archers and spearmen and massive axe-wielding Varl. If it wasn’t for the short biographies attached to each character, I would have been hard-pressed to recollect more than a few. And for each of them, there are items, stats and skills – the results of choices I’d made and battles I’d fought way back in 2014 – to stare at, wondering what it all means.

While this does make for an unorthodox beginning, by eschewing the traditional fresh start that often accompanies sequels, including those where major decisions are carried over, The Banner Saga 2 is able to fling players into more tactically interesting battles straight away. Obstacles, special objectives and a wider range of enemies – from stealthy, scuttling monsters to the centaur-like Horseborn, who like to smash faces with their nasty hooves – introduce a variety to the battles that was missing from its predecessor.

bannersaga2_0.jpg

Fights remain turn-based, with ragtag groups of warriors stabbing, slashing and smashing their way through enemy armour and health, the latter of which again doubles as strength. This time, though, they start off tough, fat with experience and loot, and there’s also the promise of extra abilities and new skills that allow for a bit of specialisation after a few successful scraps.

Each battlefield offers limited space, made even more precious by the inclusion of obstacles and gaping holes in the ground, and larger allies and enemies take up more than one square. It gets messy. Controlling these temporary arenas means using that oh-so-horrible term: synergy. Enemies can be forced into archers’ traps by other warriors, characters can use an ability to push an ally up the initiative chain so they can kill an enemy before they get a sword through the gut, and poets can transform almost dead heroes into deadly glass cannons just with some words of encouragement.

I was favouring brute force in my first few battles, and found myself just scraping through. I was seduced by big muscles and horns when I should have been making the most of my squishier warriors. On their own, they can’t do much, but when partnered with another, a box of extremely handy tricks opens up.

bannersaga10.jpg

Most of the warriors were already veterans before the first game, but now that veterancy is better reflected in their combat ability. That doesn’t mean they cleave Dredge in half in one great hit, however, because enemies are likewise stronger and more numerous. The cheek. Additionally your battle objective might not even be ‘kill everyone’. The task might be to hold off enemies while other members of the caravan create an escape route, or taking out a specific enemy might cause the rest to rout.

The stakes of each battle are frequently distressingly high, as they’re almost all weaved into the narrative. You might be fighting a one-time ally or desperate survivors just trying to protect what’s theirs, defending refugees from a chasing army, sacrificing people to save the rest – a fight is hardly ever just that, and victories can sometimes feel pyrrhic and come with a great cost, like injured warriors and lost members of the caravan.

Misfortune looms over the game like an oppressive fog. As the caravan, which splits into two early on, makes its way across rivers, swamps, forests and ancient underground paths, crises, arguments and attacks break up the gorgeous vistas the accompany the journey. Some of these crises are evocative of the choices you’re asked to make in the first game, like deciding to help a band of refugees by giving them supplies or even inviting them to join you, at the risk of them betraying you later. But everything is more desperate in The Banner Saga 2, and the choices harder to make.

bannersaga1_0.jpg

It’s very tempting to be pragmatic when faced with the small stuff, like keeping supplies just for the caravan so that morale remains high and nobody starves, but it becomes much harder when the pragmatic option isn’t ignoring some refugees but letting hundreds of your own people die so you can save even more. Harrowing decisions like that, where the weight is crushing, are not uncommon, or even relegated to the latter part of the game. The Banner Saga 2 gets right to the gut-wrenching dilemmas.

Rarely are choices binary, and there are no clear right or wrong responses, nor good or evil ones. You might feel like you’ve just committed to something awful, made a call that’s ended countless lives or resulted in the loss of vital supplies, but at those low points the game often offers reminders of the good things that can come from terrible decisions. A critic begrudgingly acknowledging your leadership. One of the clansmen thanking you for saving their family. The knowledge that, above everything else, the caravan continues to survive.

Forks in the road are so frequent and options so myriad that The Banner Saga 2 starts to feel less like a Choose Your Own Adventure and more like a brutal leadership sim. It’s more than resource management and combat; you’re crafting two leaders out of the terrible calls they have to make. And they’re not at all alike.

Rook (you might get Alette depending on how your version of the previous game finished) is trying to lead his refugees and warriors to safety, and it’s his nature to be merciful and generally helpful. Bolverk, on the other hand, is a berserker Varl and the leader of a band of mercenaries. Fighting and coin is all they’re really interested in. While Rook can be pragmatic and Bolverk can be selfless, it’s not their natural inclination. Importantly, though, both have already gone through plenty of trials by fire and come out the other end stronger and more influential. They are established leaders, opposed to Rook and Hakon in the first game, both having had that status thrust upon them.

bannersaga4_0.jpg

I worry that they might not be very good leaders, though. Well, I know that in my case they weren’t, as it seemed like I couldn’t stop making choices that ended in a trail of corpses being left behind by my caravans, but the larger issue is that they both go by their gut. They don’t really have a choice, either. It’s nearly impossible to predict the outcome of a decision, because they are never accompanied by any important information. Occasionally another member of the caravan will weigh in, but most decisions need to be made with only a brief text description for guidance.

More information isn’t always necessary if the options are lose a bunch of supplies or lose a bunch of clansmen, but most crises aren’t even remotely that clear cut. Being forced to go on instinct (and maybe a bit of common sense) does give the game a greater sense of haste, however, emphasising the lack of time there is to spare when armies and serpents and earthquakes are bearing down on you. I just wish that, even once, Rook could say, “Hold on there. I’m going to give this some serious thought, explore my options, and get back to you after a short nap.”

While I managed to get through the first game with minimal loss of life, at least when it came to the named characters that make up the roster of warriors during the tactical battles, The Banner Saga 2 has seen me abruptly bid farewell to several allies when I sent them off to their accidental deaths. They can’t die in player-controlled battles, but outside of them, they’re fair game. It got to the point where I was extremely concerned that even telling them they could use the loo would ensure their demise.

bannersaga8.jpg

The very real risk of losing several valuable characters is rather daunting, but there are so many of them that they do feel a bit interchangeable. Aside from a few key characters, most named members of the caravan get a couple of lines, even ones that have been in the group since the first game. Those key characters aren’t safe from the spectre of death either, though, and if they end up in the digital afterlife, their absence can throw a spanner or two in the already rickety works. There’s hardly a moment where the caravans don’t seem ready to tear themselves apart, so even the loss of some beardy bloke who you’ve only spoken to twice can feel like a major blow.

Refugees get left behind, heroes die, but amid all the misery and gloom is this vast array of gorgeous backdrops. Huge, imposing things that make the little caravans seem terribly vulnerable, multicoloured forests the call to mind more fantastical settings, and colossal statues of now-dead gods that dwarf the people investigating them. Even when the vista is intimidating, even when the caravan is deep underground, rooting around in the dark, the view is constantly striking.

Accompanying the caravans on their journey across the towering mountains, damp swamps and magical forests are warrior songs, the rousing music of battle, and the din of warhorns. Austin Wintory’s stirring soundtrack feels like it belongs to warriors, refugees and mercenaries, haunting them one moment and firing them up the next.

bannersaga3_0.jpg

Despite the tough choices, and the alarmingly high number of people I failed to save, The Banner Saga 2 feels a little easier going in some regards than its forebear. The battles are perhaps trickier thanks to the addition of more abilities and battlefield obstacles, but managing the caravan is less of a struggle. Like the first game, renown is the big daddy of the game’s resources. Items, supplies to keep the caravan fed, levelling up – they all cost renown, which you mostly get from combat.

In The Banner Saga, bad luck could leave you with no supplies, a starving caravan, and no renown to fix the problem, but now the caravan is a little less helpless. If there are clansmen, for example, they’ll periodically forage for supplies, freeing up renown to be spent on items and skill ranks. There are also more opportunities to gain renown, like completing training challenges. An influx of new survivors or a bandit attack can still put a strain on the supplies, and renown is still scarce enough so that shopping sprees are unlikely, but it no longer feels like bad luck is enough to make it a slog.

The Banner Saga 2 captures much of what made the first game such a compelling fight for survival. It has a tendency to focus on the bigger picture and with the large number of characters that don’t have much to say, some of the emotional engagement from the original is lost, but, but both the management side of things and the tactical battles have been lavished with improvements. The journey is bleak and savage, but the game is great.

8/10

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Gorgeous and mournful, The Banner Saga 2 is enriched by a story that meaningfully remembers

mercurial Tryggvi’s gnomic mutterings could equally be a sign of disturbing foresight

A handsome and brutal strategy sequel

immersing myself in the richness of The Banner Saga’s dying world is almost as enchanting as cracking open the weathered pages of my favorite fantasy novels

Misfortune looms over the game like an oppressive fog.

Mercurial misfortune looms gnomically over this meaningfully handsome strategy sequel. Ach, give me a break.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The way each layer of the game feeds into and informs the other creates a cerebrally and emotionally grueling loop... with Gregorian chants haunting and illuminating the malaise of the world and events that occur.

Did Gamespot always write like this?

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
F me. I would bro fist this entire thread. And certainly give Infinitron a good fisting.

Came across the first one of these via good words on this forum and enjoyed it a lot. Found it different to a lot games out there. Really appreciated the developers interest in Viking setting and I think they did a good job with the sense of cold and isolation. Of grit and of burden. Did not appreciate the items that much. Found combat of reasonable difficulty and did not figure out the "trick" until reading stuff at a later date.

Am quite interested in the "Chess" comment mentioned by the developers a few times about their combat and would like to know from the Codex whether any RPG out there comes close. I can't imagine it could ever be but you guys have the knowledge.

Not really talking about grids ala Kings Bounty but more where you sacrifice your best piece to win the battle or where you can plot 3,4,5 and more moves ahead. Anything like that re RPG games?

Archibald

Arcane
Problem with chess comparison is that most rpgs or games with rpg elements favour not dying/not loosing anyone. As such optimal play is always to have everyone alive and well and not going for some elaborate plans that involve your units dying.

sullynathan

Arcane
Why you hating vikings? :outrage:

I don't hate vikings. I hate whole bastardized shebang that comes with them that has 0 to do with vikings from mythology to their structure. Whole ideas of "vikings" in first place is some idiocy.

You know shit is fucked up when only really good media that gets them right is fucking japanese dudes writing this manga, and when they do get it right it is amazing to read without your typical hurr durr VIKINGS ! I don't think that word is even used once in that manga.

Vinland_Saga_volume_01_cover.jpg

and has amazing art too:

LGm0Tuy.jpg

81ed385fbc7cb55116010edfa4561696f644f966_hq.jpg

vinland-saga-2506499.jpg

also notice how they got AXES right:

vinland-saga-3947367.jpg
why is there a pic of vagabond there?

orcinator

Liturgist
Guess they got bored of waiting for the next Gone Home and are using this shit to as the next proof that games are art

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom