Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Banner Saga 3

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Yeah, very surprising. I still it hope it works out for them if only to see the trilogy end properly.

Any chance you could snatch an interview or something?

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
What should they change for BS3 and what should they keep? On steam there are 7 times less owners of BS2 compared to BS1.
Does this mean BS1 players wanted something different?
Should they change the game formula in some different way or improve existing one?

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
What should they change for BS3 and what should they keep? On steam there are 7 times less owners of BS2 compared to BS1.
Should they change the game formula in some different way or improve existing one?
I think there was 2 factors that worked against Banner Saga 2.
A) According to developers about half of the players rage quitted because of final battle in the first game (Every patch has made said encounters easier).
And
B) Sheer competition; nowadays there isn't such a shortage of squad based tactical games as when Banner Saga 1 was released.

Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
A) According to developers about half of the players rage quitted because of final battle in the first game (Every patch has made said encounters easier).
And
B) Sheer competition; nowadays there isn't such a shortage of squad based tactical games as when Banner Saga 1 was released.

Yeah, no. I know those are the official reasons given by Stoic in their last interview, but that's utter bullshit. BS2 failed because it was more of the same and because they had completely lost contact with their community. Looks like BS3 is headed that way too. I wish them luck.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
And

I think I will go with A.

The final battle was really retarded and there was one stupid DRM debacle.

However IMHO the main problem for the 1st game was that the story had absolutely no closure. The ending came out of nowhere and it was abrupt. No lore was explained and they forced you to kill one of your main characters (edgy stuff which now bites them in the ass).

You cannot build a franchise when you are not able to pull off at least a partially satisfying ending for the 1st game.

Last edited:

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
In it for a double sawbuck. Though I'm already having second thoughts. Still haven't bought Banner Saga 2, been waiting for the price to drop below 10. So why exactly am I willing to give 'em twenty for this now?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In it for a double sawbuck. Though I'm already having second thoughts. Still haven't bought Banner Saga 2, been waiting for the price to drop below 10. So why exactly am I willing to give 'em twenty for this now?

They should have an option to add-on just $10 to get the second game.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex

They should have an option to add-on just $10 to get the second game.

'check the FAQ - if you wish to add on Banner Saga 2, you can pledge an additional $15. Thanks!'

Ah.

DramaticPopcorn

This is in their FAQ :lol:

r7ime4d.png

That full-time community relations guy is working wonders! :lol:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Oh dear. Obsidian must be pissed, they were probably about to launch PoE2 on Fig on Thursday, and now BS3 comes completely out of nowhere asking money from basically the same group of people.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Before you read on! You're invited to press play on this beautiful, immersive track from the Banner Saga soundtrack, and let it bring you into the world while you browse the page.

How about eat shit and die.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh dear. Obsidian must be pissed, they were probably about to launch PoE2 on Fig on Thursday, and now BS3 comes completely out of nowhere asking money from basically the same group of people.

Also two good adventure game Kickstarters.

(I don't know if Obsidian plan to launch then though. It could just be a fancy trailer and an announcement of a later date.)

Siobhan

Arbiter
BS1 was worth giving a try since it looked very atmospheric and the battle system had some slight deviations from the standard formula that could have made for a nice change. But the game turned out to be incredibly boring, with extremely repetitive encounter design, little tactical variety and literally minutes of idly staring at the screen because the caravan mechanics were completely broken (by design, I guess). From what I've heard, BS2 is mechanically more of the same while not really moving the narrative along much, so the fact that nobody bought it actually gives me a tiny ounce of faith in humanity.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
This is in their FAQ :lol:

r7ime4d.png

That full-time community relations guy is working wonders! :lol:

Amusingly, when I Ctrl+F similitude, it is not actually used in the body of the kickstarter. So they created a straw man backer to make fun of for asking about a word they didn't even use.

Also the beautiful, immersive song they include is just one of thousands of incredibly generic sad pseudo-celtic violin pieces released every year.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
However IMHO the main problem for the 1st game was that the story had absolutely no closure. The ending came out of nowhere and it was abrupt. No lore was explained and they forced you to kill one of your main characters (edgy stuff which now bites them in the ass).

You cannot build a franchise when you are not able to pull off at least a partially satisfying ending for the 1st game.
Wasn't the game originally pitched as three Telltale-like chapters, not three full games? Seems like a case of Double Fine-ism, where they got too much money, went crazy with the scope and fucked it up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom