Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

ArchAngel

Arcane
I think Fargo wants more than 30 000 sales...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/the-bards-tale-iv/posts/2256701

Early Beta Returns

382f749f744c222ae2b16b5e1f711d89_original.jpg

TL; DR - Beta Reception, Early Changes from Feedback, Polishing the Graphics, Pledge Reminder, BT Trilogy Sneak Peek

Beta Reception
Hi All, Paul here with a few updates regarding the Backer Beta. First, we thought we would share some of the more notable looks at the game from Creative Director David Rogers' barnstorming press tour in support of the backer beta release. We received some great reactions, and wanted to share some of what has been written about the game. Take a look at some of what's been said:
This quote from an old school BT fan who checked out the beta gave me a chuckle, as I can relate to this particular sense of liberation (and I suspect a few of you fans of a certain age out there can relate as well):
Finally, we really enjoyed VentureBeat's look at how we brought the original Bard's Tale box art to life for Bard's Tale IV:
On that last item, there's an accompanying video that is well-worth watching as well if you haven't seen it yet:

Beta Feedback Update
We were thrilled with the reception of the beta both from the public and our backers, particularly through the submission form link that let players give their feedback directly from the game. It was great to read all the kind words, and even where there was criticism, it was constructive. On that note, we've been poring over the comments and data in the near-month since the beta's release and discussing it in-depth daily.

We are now at a point where we can share some early feedback from the dev team on your comments. As we begin to implement fixes and other tweaks, we wanted to give you an update on some of the changes we have planned for the launch version of the game (as well as some changes that we are considering) thanks to you. Here's a list, along with a call out of some of the many names whose comments were read and considered.
  • Courtesy of feedback from users such as Zortok, we are increasing the number of mastery slots from 3 to 4.
  • Courtesy of feedback from users such as mdntblue, we are working on granting mercenary tokens earlier so that you can make you own characters sooner.
  • Courtesy of feedback from users such as dpisacane, we are speeding up how quickly you get to six party members.
  • Courtesy of feedback from users such as Paranoiac, merchants will have multiple pages so that it is easier for you to sell your stuff.
  • Courtesy of feedback from users such as Sirtechfan, along similar lines, we’re tuning the item economy for the early part of the game based on your feedback.
  • Courtesy of feedback from users such as Drool, we are working on improved ways to compare items in the shop. You will be able to compare items in a store with items equipped on your characters.
  • Courtesy of feedback from users such as Nystrom, one quality of life feature for inventory: we’ll have pages for inventory items, lore items, and quest items so players can more easily track/understand what they are picking up.
  • Courtesy of feedback from users such as lemiarty, starting inventory will be larger.
  • Courtesy of feedback from users such as Jalis, after the eight main narrative quests, there will be significantly fewer waypoints telling you where to go. For the most part, it will be a destination marker and that’s it.
  • Courtesy of feedback from users such as Omelet79, we are adding a cost to resetting your characters’ skill trees. It is no longer freely available anywhere. You now pay using a mercenary token at the Review Board to do so.
  • Courtesy of feedback from users such as Entrei, adding a “surrender” button on combat that allows you to reload your most recent checkpoint rather than play out a losing combat. We will be sure to add a “Are you sure?” double-check to avoid any accidental activations!
If you didn’t see your suggestion here, that’s not because we haven’t seen it. We are tracking and considering everything that is coming in. The above are items that we’ve reached consensus on, and wanted to share with you now. Thank you again for the feedback so far. It is helping to make The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep a better game.

Polishing the Graphics
Along with different changes across the game's mechanics, we're also polishing character models as we get closer to the release date. This is more of a "show, don't tell" item, so we've prepared a "before & after" shot to demonstrate some of the progress going on in terms of the game's look.

Before & After

Backer Pledge Reminder
One last Bard's Tale IV item, one that only pertains to a small number of you. Right now, we're happy to report that 93% of you have filled out and confirmed your backer pledges at CrowdOx. Obviously, we want all of you who have helped support the game to get the rewards you are due, so if you haven't or aren't sure, we encourage you to first check your email to see if you have the confirmation email from CrowdOx. If you don't, then you can follow these instructions on how to have CrowdOx send/resend your survey so that you can access it and confirm it.

We'll also be working with CrowdOx to send out a reminders directly, so you may receive an email prompt on this as well. And for the rest of you, no worries. If you have confirmed your pledge, then you are all set.

Between The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep and The Bard's Tale Trilogy, it is a great time to be a fan and supporter of The Bard's Tale series. Thanks to you all for helping us make this a reality! We're still listening and looking forward to your feedback as time goes on!

Until Next Time,
Paul Marzagalli
Public Relations & Community Manager
@phimseto

Follow Us:
Facebook | Twitter

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Welp, my old ass laptop finally died yesterday (16 years old, XP).

So, I'll probably pick up a new Walmart gaming laptop (LOL) in the next few days. I think it was about $500 or so. Then hit the free wWiF place and download it...

Maybe it will run it...

Zep--

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

So, I'll probably pick up a new Walmart gaming laptop (LOL) in the next few days. I think it was about $500 or so. Then hit the free wWiF place and download it...

Maybe it will run it...

Zep--
:whatho:
The fuck,now i know that your shit at computers mate. Please tell me that you actually reinstalled the XP in those 16 years.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer

Maybe it will run it...

Zep--

The fuck,now i know that your shit at computers mate. Please tell me that you actually reinstalled the XP in those 16 years.

Serious question. Are you a retard?

Zep--

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Anyway... for retards like fagomat...

I'll download the shit to the shitty Walmart laptop over free WiFi somewhere, then transfer the files to my desktop. Assuming the awesome Walmart laptop can't handle it.

I need the laptop for my online gig. Don't really care if it can play the game or not really.

Zep--

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Maybe it will run it...

Zep--

Serious question. Are you a retard?

Zep--

:|A guy wanting to buy a laptop from walmart is asking me if i am retarded.....lobotomy will be a nice cure for you.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
thief who likes shiny objects but isn't a total douche (so as not to offend any snowflakes whose self insert would look like a Trow)

:dead:

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
At the wifi place, downloading some of it now....2mb cap it looks like, gotta find a better place :)

3 gig down so far, not sitting here another 2 hours for it to finish.

Zep--

SniperHF

Arcane
I only played a few hours of the beta. It was reasonably enjoyable as a non-fan of this type of FPP RPG.

The presentation would be improved at least 25% if the NPCs quit calling you hero every 5 minutes though. That shit is grating and I don't know who likes that crap.

Theldaran

Liturgist
I suppose I'm the only one that thinks this looks fugly. Am I?

Before release, this feels like A, maybe AA game.

Theldaran

Liturgist
I apologise for my overlook, this has earned short of 2 million bucks so it's probably no masterpiece by all accounts.

POE earned 4 million and was shit. :negative:

No Second Renaissance yet.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I apologise for my overlook, this has earned short of 2 million bucks so it's probably no masterpiece by all accounts.

POE earned 4 million and was shit. :negative:

No Second Renaissance yet.
Also a lot of good games came out in the last few years, KCD,ELEX,Expedition Vikings,Spellforce3,underrail etc. If you play only popular shit then that is your problem. What do people expect from so called "second renaissance" ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom