Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

The tweet mentions Wasteland 2. It's probably the Wasteland 2 Switch port.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
39752039_1986324858092778_5258160209443946496_o.jpg

The one with the controller in his tiny hands is Brain O'None?

They're playing it on Switch too, I didn't know that would happen. Maybe that will be a Gamescom announcement?

The Switch is likely for Wasteland 2.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
Thank you. Bard's Tale IV on Switch would be really good because so many of these games are on handhelds, but I understand.

Divinity: Original Sin
Well, I played the beta. It's unoptimized as hell, there's a lot of glitches in combat, like a delay between when you execute a command and the final execution of the move on screen. Actually, this delay is present everytime you press a button to open the inventory, character sheets, etc. It stutters a lot. One thing I don't like is how the game is made with "free movement" in mind with the implementation of "grid movement" added later. The thing is the world is built with a lot of small spaces and no real regular/angled surfaces. It won't feel natural to have a grid style movement, but then again, the "openess" of the enviroment feels too constrained for a free movement game. In the end, the game feels limited for a free roaming style, and not fit for grid movement. Besides, beta has only free movement mode active. They should've sticked with a Legend of grimrock style of regular sized floor/walls.

Control is very basic: WASD and shift to "run". But sometimes shift key would work and the solution was to stop and restart running again. It was really annoying because normal speed was kind of slow and suddenly your party would stop running as if the "stamina" bar depleted... and no, there's no stamina bar.

Another thing is that the "skara brae below" map follows the same pattern of the old games' skara brae. Its really a nice touch to see familiar street names, but it bothers that the map is now rotated in it's orientation: what was north is now west.

But I liked the exploration aspect, I had some fun with it. Combat feels like a match of a card game, and the UI didn't bother me other than the delays after pressing a button. The kylearan tower is actually nice, full of puzzles and traps, and it is a very different enviroment next to the dull and bland setting of skara brae city.

In any case, it looks as a fun game, but a little bit generic. But what bothers me most is performance. I don't know if it will get better. But I would casually play it. This game is probably worth because it brought the original trilogy back.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I just started playing the beta, and I'm shocked at the hand holding, poor performance, and how the game can look so bad. Did we need 4 waypoints to get us to the adventurer's guild when it's literally a corridor as all other avenues through the city are blocked off? Do I need magical fire over the head of any NPC that I can talk to? Why do piles of coal reflect light as if plastic wrap were over them? Is this game using PBR? The repetition of resources (art for shields, swords, etc) in the start of skara brae alone is startling.

This looks like dogshit :(

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Did we need 4 waypoints to get us to the adventurer's guild when it's literally a corridor as all other avenues through the city are blocked off?
FWIW, there were a lot of complaints about waypoint proliferation and last I heard the plan was to remove most of them, maybe even just have one waypoint at the destination and let you figure out how to get there. I don't remember exactly but this will be far less annoying in the release version.

I'm still pissed off that you can turn off waypoints entirely but no one gives you directions anywhere. "Criminals are burning down my house, please go stop them ... I'm sure you can find it, just wander around, thanks"

agris

Arcane
Patron
I'm still pissed off that you can turn off waypoints entirely but no one gives you directions anywhere. "Criminals are burning down my house, please go stop them ... I'm sure you can find it, just wander around, thanks"
I can't help but think it's because the people writing and designing the quests never enjoyed playing this way. It's a damn shame. I was shocked when Fallout: New Vegas did this as well.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I can't help but think it's because the people writing and designing the quests never enjoyed playing this way. It's a damn shame. I was shocked when Fallout: New Vegas did this as well.
I want a button that combines
rating_prosper.png
cheers.png
rating_brofist.png
. We'll call it "Brother and friend, let us raise a glass with teary eye together to the memory of a time now buried. A richer time, a stronger time, a harder time, a better time."

Delterius

Arcane
I want a button that combines
rating_prosper.png
cheers.png
rating_brofist.png
. We'll call it "Brother and friend, let us raise a glass with teary eye together to the memory of a time now buried. A richer time, a stronger time, a harder time, a better time."
:0-13:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/the-bards-tale-iv/posts/2277441
  • A thank you message from Fargo, the budget is more than 5x the amount of KS money, 5 of the collector's edition backers will receive all future inXile games for free (yay, free battle royale!)
  • The game will get Legacy Mode as post-launch update: "In addition to the previously discussed grid-based movement and hiding the minimap, we're also working on features such as old school scrolling text for combat, a save system closer to the original games for hardcore purists, and even an ability to bring back the "A-Team"."
  • Every backer will get the digital version of Strategy Guide for free.
The Bard Draws Near!

40a3aec3ac78aa4ed66fb02fe361cea0_original.png

A Message from Brian
What an incredible last six years it has been. I had given up all hope of creating the kind of RPGs that I like to make, then along came Kickstarter, and now here we are about to finalize our third crowdfunded game. Thanks again for trusting us.

Our goal with these games is to under promise and over deliver, and we hope you feel that we’ve accomplished this with The Bard’s Tale IV: Barrows Deep. Most people don’t realize how much of our own money we pour in to make these games as special as possible. In this case, we spent more than 5x the amount raised via Kickstarter! We can’t help being passionate and giving it our all. If you haven't seen them yet, be sure to check out the spotlight videos we have been creating for the game.
The game ended up with 350 speaking parts, over 30 distinct locations, and over 100 pieces of music. The Windows version is still on schedule for the 18th and then all hands are on deck to get the Mac and Linux versions out as fast as we can. We are hitting ALL our stretch goals, and have incorporated a tremendous amount of feedback from the beta test. The only slightly bad news is that we will be late on a few items, but they are most assuredly coming in the following weeks after release.

We were determined that The Bard's Tale IV physical goods matched our expectations, and I was not happy with the quality of the early prototypes we received. This resulted in a longer production process, and I made the call to push back the timing a bit to make sure we would be happy with the final result. We love how the backer goods turned out (look for a picture below) and when we brought samples with us to Gamescom last week, everyone really reacted favorably towards them. That made us really feel that we had made the right call, and while we aren't happy about the delay, it will be worth the wait when they arrive to you. And yes - those editions will have another key for the game, giving you a second copy for free. Give it to your friends or family, and be sure to spread the Bard's joy!

471132824dab4db362ab257aa25ef958_original.jpg

Also, as an extra bonus, I put an "X" on 5 of the signed collector’s boxes that have the team’s signature (look for a photo at the bottom of the update). Anyone who gets one of these special boxes will get all inXile games for FREE for life. Yes, I was thinking of Willy Wonka when I was signing.

58bca73f67456d88902c67fd58e93852_original.jpg

Backer Feedback & Game Length
Between the alpha and beta, we received a number of great "throwback" suggestions in addition to the ones we already had. Taking a page from the Bard's Tale remaster, we decided to bring all of these features into what we're calling a "Legacy Mode". The bad news is that, in order to get them all in, we'll need time to iterate, so they won't be ready at release time. The good news is that the list of features is much more than we were originally intending on doing, all thanks to your suggestions. In addition to the previously discussed grid-based movement and hiding the minimap, we're also working on features such as old school scrolling text for combat, a save system closer to the original games for hardcore purists, and even an ability to bring back the "A-Team". This will be another of our immediate focuses post-launch, and you can look for the Legacy Mode to arrive sometime soon after the game's release.

And though we promised a 25-hour game, playtests are showing it to be closer to 35+. And while it’s hard to be objective about your work, I can honestly say I’ve enjoyed playing it and found myself at many times wanting to play for “30 more minutes.” I’ve had to re-play the first 10 hours of the game at least 20 times and it’s a good sign when it’s still enjoyable.

Again, we are very happy to announce that we're hitting on all goals, and where we aren't hitting certain time frames on stuff, we are looking to make up the difference with added value. On that note, an added thank you for your patience, every backer will be receiving the digital version of our Strategy Guide for free. It's just one more way to acknowledge that we appreciate all the support that you have given us.

I know you all love RPGs and we love making them! We are counting on this success so we can continue to bring you more of these great games, including future installments of the Bard’s Tale!

e2070d2f97beff7b8b6224a3ba64f746_original.jpg

SniperHF

Arcane
So...Instead of being able to pick and choose which "legacy" features we want we'll probably have to take all of them?

Zombra

Patron
So...Instead of being able to pick and choose which "legacy" features we want we'll probably have to take all of them?
koala.png
What? They're not going to force you to turn grid movement on or the minimap off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom