Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale Trilogy - remaster by Krome Studios

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
CPVMURsUcAAldrm.png:orig

https://twitter.com/burgerbecky/status/645506033394167808
Couldn't they... have the auto-map real-time, in a separate window? Are you telling me to see the map someone will need to cast SCSI or hit ? or whatever? Since they *are* adding in on top of the old game, and after 800x600, most people will still have a lot of real estate on their screens. They could also add your real time location - like x5,y2,1st level Cellars. Just fix things that were annoying to have to check every 20 seconds. Also, if they don't add notation for spinners, darkness zones, and other things, the map seem kinda cheap.

Also, couldn't they add some other useful stuff? Like a timer for the bards current song, and timers for other spell effects? Since she programmed this and knows where everything is kept in memory. What is the compelling reason to play this if they are just... stretching out the graphics.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I usually don't mind scaling. Usually. It works in some games, works in others. It could work in BT, for all I know, but I won"t know because someone has not heard that an art style that somehow manages to be inconsistent with itself is an aberration.
And I already got the 3 BT games thanks to the action/adventure game I got for next to nothing.

Otherwise, if done right, yeah, I don't mind scaling. It's not worse than playing a PS1 game at 1600x1200 resolution. When people say "the game isn't supposed to look like that" because it's filtered, well, guess what ? A low res 320x200 game isn't made to be displayed on a 24" LCD screen either, so either way, you lose. You aren't going to make that shit look like how it's supposed to look like. Use filters the fuck if you want.

But whatever you do, yeah, don't do that BT remake shit.

butchy

Prospernaut
Wow, you are some whinny bitches. Graphics don't do anything, hopefully the will have full keybinds and modern working UI.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
From today's Burgerbecky Twitch stream:

szAW4hK.png

CVbxOJ3.png

New UI art is quite high resolution and icons are animeted.

JNpD0Tm.png

a2GeTW5.png

I couldn't watch the whole stream and missed Q&A. But it seems like release is pretty close...

RuySan

Augur
They could have just added automap and be done with it, and i would buy it anyway. I just don't have the patience to draw maps nowadays, but without having to, i will happily replay BT

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Great idea, actually. Possibly the only great thing about this remake so far (the upscaled graphics look terrible).

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
yeah, the upscaled interface together with the original game graphics are rather jarring

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
The only filter that could be useful is a CRT one (and aspect correction), because these old games were more beautiful on our old screens than in emulators with sharp square pixels.

Jeremy Kapp

Literate
Ooh, yeah! A CRT effect in the picture window would add a lot!
DOSBox SVN-Daum release has a CRT pixelshader effect I use on Bard's Tale... Scan Lines, slight Blur, and convection effect make it look creepy and have a way of upscaling the graphics more naturally.

Jeremy Kapp

Literate
Does anyone love the Mac version? It has it's own charm... It has clouds in the city, and texture to the roads. It places the enemies over the area image instead of replacing it for the duration of the fight. Dragon wars had this feature as well... Nice! I'd love to see some monster pics for BT Remastered.

167140-tales-of-the-unknown-volume-i-the-bard-s-tale-macintosh-screenshot_zpsz67nc5mo.png
167142-tales-of-the-unknown-volume-i-the-bard-s-tale-macintosh-screenshot_zpsboe2mske.png

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Can you get it to run on windows? looks interesting

Jeremy Kapp

Literate
It's possible to make an image overlay that will add road texture and clouds... Here is a very quick (and dirty) attempt I made... I made one that will work with all road angles.

bard_001a_zpsifrdl76q.png~original
bard_000a_zpsmdmag958.png~original

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Ooh, yeah! A CRT effect in the picture window would add a lot!
DOSBox SVN-Daum release has a CRT pixelshader effect I use on Bard's Tale... Scan Lines, slight Blur, and convection effect make it look creepy and have a way of upscaling the graphics more naturally.

I think the best implementation ever is Saint's : http://leonard.oxg.free.fr/SC1425/SC1425.html
Gorgeous (salut Arnaud)

Darkzone

Arcane
I'd love to see some monster pics for BT Remastered.
Don't get your hopes up. It's most likely going to be blurry upscale+sharpen'ed versions of the original sprites.
She can run some high frequency restauration algorithms in the frequency room to unblur the sprites. Or she can overlay the blurred low frequency upscaled sprites with the unblurred high frequency upscaled sprites and merge it in the frequency room. But it is very doubt full that she will use new arts for the sprites.
Like this example with Monroe in low frequencies and Einstein in the high frequencies:
nrm_1428094514-albert_einstein_or_marilyn_monroe_-_this_image_might_just_be_the_new_blue_dress.jpg

Naturally using the same source would produce a better result.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom